Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 11:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So, LET'S DRUK YUL, Shall we?
Druk Yul-worthy... err... Drool-worthy photos and mesmerizing videos (especially the rafting video) - thanks for sharing. It's been a long time since we visited Bhutan, and your wide-angle views of the place tempt us to plan another trip!

Weren't you missing your Pajero there?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 14:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Druk Yul-worthy... err... Drool-worthy photos and mesmerizing videos (especially the rafting video) - thanks for sharing.
Thanks!
Quote:
It's been a long time since we visited Bhutan, and your wide-angle views of the place tempt us to plan another trip!
I've been hearing that tourism is seeing a HUGE inflow of Indian tourists and they may start charging very soon.

Quote:
Weren't you missing your Pajero there?
Oh boy, tell me about it!! There were umpteen times I could just drive into the river beds or lush green forests with the Paj. Even in Chele La viewpoint, I could very much drive to the end of the cliff... Never missed the Paj soo much!
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 8: The Tiger's Nest (Paro Taksang) Trek!

This is one spot that 99% of the tourists who visit Bhutan make sure they don't miss. Even those who come on quick trips. I did this only because of the astounding location the Monastry was placed on, makes it so hard not to see! Apparently, Guru Rimpoche, around 4 centuries back flew on the back of a tiger (hence the name Tiger's nest) to this unachievable place and meditated for 3 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and three hours... The monastery has a very significant place in Buddhism in Bhutan.

The Tigers nest is around 30 mins drive from our hotel and Paro City. We start early, well, kind of... Also, the Trek upward is supposed to take around 3 hours and downwards around 2 hours. So, we carry a backpack with water bottles, biscuits, oranges and stuff. The elevation gained is almost a kilometre high, covered in ~7 walking kilometres. So, we were told, the trek isn't an easy one.

The morning was nice and chill...

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-screen-shot-20191216-7.03.20-pm.png

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-01.jpg

At the start of the trek, there are vendors who will rent you these sticks that help in walking. I'd definitely recommend renting one of these for just 50 bucks. It's an enormous help and often its importance is underrated. I took one. If it were not for the luggage limitation in the aeroplanes, I'd have even bought home one of these beautiful and strong sticks for just 100 bucks.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-screen-shot-20191216-7.18.42-pm.png

Once your backpack is set and tickets are bought, which is ~500 bucks per head. You start the trek.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-1a.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-1.jpg

Well, as soon as the trees are cleared you get your first view of the Monastery. Well, how much ever you've read about the Monastry and how high it is, the plain sight view does intimidate you. Damn. That's how high you need to go!

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-1b.jpg

I'm from Wayanad, and trek for us is climbing over stones and stuff. I somehow expected that here too, but being such a popular place and a lot of young and old visitors visiting the Monastery, the way up is properly maintained and is kind of easy.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-2.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-3.jpg

Amazing views waiting to greet you on the way.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-6.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-7.jpg

Even though the Trek is physically exerting, the climate and these views make sure you arent a bit tired and you can keep marching on...

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-8.jpg

Halfway through, there is place to rest, even a cafe with some food and refreshments. However, we didnt go to the cafe and marched on....

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-9.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-10.jpg

And then, you get a first proper glimpse of the buildings perched precariously over the cliff!

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-11.jpg

The trek does take a breath or two out of you, but enough places to rest and the vegetation is so friendly.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-13.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-14.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-15.jpg

And then after slightly more than 2 hours, we reach the highest point of the climb and its here where you get to see the Tiger's Nest in its full glory. What a sight it was man... No amount of pictures can do justice to seeing it in real. The climate was friendly and the view was clear for us, so we could see the steep valley too!

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-16.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-18.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-17.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-19.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-20.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-21.jpg

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-22.jpg

From the highest point, its 400 steps down, and 300 steps up again to reach the Monastery. Once at the monastery, you need to leave your shoes, camera and all equipment at the security. A guide will accompany you into the monastery, taking you to all the caves and explaining the importance of each and everything inside the monastery. Further inside you can visit the cave and crawl outside a cave to see the beautiful view over the valley. Too bad the cameras weren't allowed here. The sight was just awesome!

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-23.jpg

The visit inside the Monastery takes about an hour or slightly more, and you get enough rest to climb these steps back.

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-25.jpg

The beautiful waterfall on the way back....

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-26.jpg

Well, from inside the Tiger's Nest, the Guide mentioned to us that the view of the Monastery perched on the cliff resembles a face. Let me know if you see a face here?

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-27.jpg

And we take about an hour and a half to come down to this!

Let's DRUK YUL! Bhutan in a Toyota Corolla Altis-28.jpg

So, now that the Tiger's Nest was done, we decide to head back to a good hotel and have a refreshing Bhutanese Lunch and some refreshments.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Vikram, there is no charge per person as long as you are from India. (Well, atleast for now)

IIRC, its 700 INR.

Well, yes, in Bhutan, they dont recognise Aadhar as a valid ID. You need to have a voters ID or Passport. Why dont you apply for a passport? In tatkal it reaches you in 3-5 days.
Thanks a lot dhanush.
One more query: what is the status of using 500 & 2000 rupee notes in Bhutan? There is conflicting information on it.

Also: how to carry and smoke cigarettes in bhutan?

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2019 at 18:04.
Old 17th December 2019, 15:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Thanks a lot dhanush.
One more query: what is the status of using 500 & 2000 rupee notes in Bhutan? There is conflicting information on it.

Also: how to carry and smoke cigarettes in bhutan?
We had the same information and we carried 100 rupee (old notes) bundles. However we faced absolutely no problem. Even 2000 rupee notes were being accepted. I have a feeling in rural areas 100’s are preferred. Coins are not accepted though. Whatever said, law and prices of products in Bhutan are what the locals say. So, better carry 100 rupee notes I guess if possible.

Smoking is tricky there. No one smokes in public. I heard it’s a crime. But being the Bhutan it is now, you have no lack of secluded spaces to smoke. Carrying your own Ciggerettes should be ok, because no one checks your luggage.

I was lucky, I stopped smoking a year back!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2019 at 18:05. Reason: Quoted text edited
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Thanks a lot dhanush.

Also: how to carry and smoke cigarettes in bhutan? @mods: please remove if inappropriate
Smoking is banned in bhutan man, if they find it in your luggage, its akin to smuggling contraband into the country and you could be facing a very stiff time. A bhutanese monk was found with cigarettes in his check in bag and was sent straight to jail.

And smoking in public and you get caught, well now we know why bhutan wants to limit the number of tourists from the sub continent.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 19:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Smoking is banned in bhutan man, if they find it in your luggage, its akin to smuggling contraband into the country and you could be facing a very stiff time. A bhutanese monk was found with cigarettes in his check in bag and was sent straight to jail.
Wow, didnt know it was so serious! I didnt smoke, but friends who came smoked. They smoked their Marlboro carried in luggage. I also, met with a couple of mechanics who were smoking the good 'ol Wills Navy Cut in Thimphu. May be like banned Gutka and Pan Masala containing tobacco in India. btw, that too is banned in Bhutan.

Bhutanese(Rural) do chew a lot though!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 10:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a video of the Trek. Well, mostly of the Tiger's nest from the highest point. Also, the walk down from the mountain, and up the hill on which Tiger's nest sits. Notice the valley, the waterfall and the cliffs are just amazing!

dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

So, on Day 9, we turn the car back, finally to our homeland! Well, not exactly a long trip, but a really beautiful one. 7 or 8 days is nothing in Bhutan. Ideally, I would suggest at least 15 days to cover the country in its entirety. And it's worth it. The culture, the civilisation, the scenery, the climate, the food, the hospitality, everything is just amazing in this country.

The Drive back was a just as amazing, or actually the best till date. We were lucky enough to get clear skies for most of the time and hence we could enjoy the huge mountains and lush greenery in its full glory.

Bhutan is definitely a must-visit for families looking for vacationing close to nature. If you love mountains, hills and rivers, this is the place for you. The only catch is flying in is slightly expensive and driving should be the option. I'll definitely be back agian someday!

Watch the video of the scenic drive back...

dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks