Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:38   #1

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800

This story is about a trip to Tawang which my mom, dad and my brother went on. It was one of the most difficult and treacherous trip that they have ever made. They completed this trip on a sturdy old Maruti 800 which is over 18 years old.

My parents have lived in the North east part of India for almost half their life. My dad came to Nagaland to work at the Nagaland University in the early 1980’s . He did not have a car that time but had a scooter which I remember very little about as I was very small that time. None the less , he stayed in Nagaland for over 13 years and then shifted to Mizoram in a beautiful and amazing city known as Aizawl, which is also the capital of Mizoram. My dad shifted here in 1997 and after 2 years he bought his first car. A sparkling and shining new white Maruti 800. This was my dad’s first car and has been with him ever since. He has loved and taken care of the car as he would love and take care of his own child and the car has been his beloved companion ever since. my dad is currently working, and is holding the position of Director at HRDC in NEHU. He is an academician by profession and a car nut by heart. He was always a big fan of Maruti cars, especially Maruti 800. The 3rd generation maruti 800 was launched in 1999 and that’s when my dad decided to buy it, it was very stylish to look at, had a wonderful engine and was very spacious and comfortable. The older generation maruti had a very boxy look and then there was Zen which was in every way better than the 3rd gen maruti 800. But since my dad loved Maruti 800 there was no way he could have gone for any other car.

A word of praise for our beloved Maruti 800, although it has been with us for over 18 years now, but till date it has not broken down or given up on us no matter what the circumstances may have been. This was the car we grew up in , and learnt to drive in and although we do rough it up sometimes but it has never given up on us. In its time with us , it has never had any engine problem. Being a car nut , my dad prefers to get his hands dirty and maintain the car himself. He prides in his marvelous car and its magnificent engine. The yearly average maintenance cost of the car is around Rs 5000 , which includes change of the engine oil, a few small parts such as new spark plugs , air filter , tires , etc. The car has never been in any major accident and whatever small accidents we had over the time, the car made sure that all of us came out of it scratch free.

Our car has been kept bone stock. There has been nothing that has been modified in the car. Although my dad keeps changing the tires on a regularly basis he has still not shifted to Radial tires or to tubeless tires. The only major cosmetic change that had been done to the car are the seats, which had to be replaced in about 10-12 years of time, as with time they had become quite worn out and was not very comfortable to sit in.
My whole family loved travelling and were a big fan of road trips, every month or so we venture in to explore a new city. They were one of the most memorable times of our lives. Over the years we have technically covered each and every state with our little Maruti 800.
When we were 16 years old, our dad taught us driving on this very car. Although we made a lot of mistakes , dad always told us to be gentle with the car and drive it with love. As soon as we turned 18 we applied for our driving license and thus the car was now shared between the family. Not once had the thought come to us to change the car or exchange it for some other car. We loved our little Maruti very much and it equally loved us back. It has been with us , through our first picnic, to road trips , and our first trips to the schools. We all had most of our firsts in this very car.
So coming back to the trip, this trip started off from Shillong on the chilly morning of March 2018. On the first day we travelled a distance of about 300kms and we made our first stop at Bhalukpong. The journey was very comfortable and as Meghalaya is known for its scenic beauty it is always a pleasure to drive through these roads. The wide roads , the greenery all around, it was pleasure to drive all through Meghalaya , and after about 80 kilometers we entered the state of Assam. Assam although not as lush green as Meghalaya , but the roads are very wide and well maintained. They are breeze to drive through and makes the journey very comfortable. After having lunch at a wonderful roadside Dhabha , we started our journey to Bhalukpong. Bhalukpong is the entry point to Arunachal Pradesh. By the time we reached Bhalukpong it was quite late in the evening. The roads in Arunachal were not the best roads that we had travelled in earlier but still we made it on the first day of our journey safe and sound. We stayed the night at Bhalukpong and the next day early morning we left for Bomdila. The distance from Bhalukpong to Bomdila was around 100 kms. The reason we only covered 100 kms the 2nd day was that we wanted to reach Bomdila on time to be able to visit some of the famous monastery there.
The next day we set out for Tawang. This was the most difficult leg of the journey. Although the journey was only of 170 kms it was the most difficult and most treacherous journeys that we have ever made. The whole route to Tawang was covered with fresh snow and at some places upto 2 feet deep. Almost all the vehicles were having a hard time negotiating the snow. To better tackle the snow and to maintain a firm grip on the slipper snow my dad had released some pressure from the tires so as to get extra grip on the snow and to increase traction.
One sweet incident that happened when we were on the way to Tawang , was that , since there was a lot of fresh snow coming in, authorities were hard at work trying to clear the snow and help with the easy flow of the traffic. Another great thing to observe is that even though there is a long traffic jam, there is not one car that cuts through the line or tries to jump the line. They all stand patiently in one long queue . When the road finally cleared , the car in front of us stalled. My dad went to investigate what had happened. The car had shut down due to some reasons. My dad quickly got his tool box out , gave a few minor twitches to the car , and the car was good to go again. The passenger in the car were very impressed and thankful to my dad. The shook hands with us and thanked us many times, before taking out address where we were going to stay in Tawang. The next day all of them came to see us, bought their traditional shawls for us and took us out for Lunch at a local eatery. This is the kind of hospitality that the people of North east have. It was a very joyous moment for us.

In Tawang, we stayed for about 2 days during which time we explored all the natural beauty of the area. It was nice to see such a peaceful and clam place. We visited many of the tourists spots and went for some lesser known spots which our new friends had told us about.

Another incident that happened when we were in Tawang was that , on the way to the Indo – China border. We were met my a few Indian Army personnel. They were patrolling the roads near the border. We met them and greeted them and they greeted us with the same warmth as the locals at Tawang had. They all were very surprised to see such a tiny car in Tawang and had said that it was the first time they have seen a Maruti 800 reach such a high-altitude place. They congratulated my dad on the amazing journey that he had covered.

after spending 2 wonderful days in Tawang, we started our journey back to Shillong along the same road that we came from. Needless to say the journey back was equally beautiful and our short trip to Tawang was a grand success and a very memorable one Indeed.

Our trusted car , had taken us to a high altitude place of approximately 3048 meters. It had bravely fought all the bad roads and the deep snow. It was a little challenging for my dad to be able to navigate through all the heavy snow , but in the end I am sure it was all worth it. And in this all, our love for our beloved Maruti 800 grew ever deeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawangtrip6.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawang-trip.1.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawang-trip.2.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawang-trip3.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawangtrip4.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawangtrip5.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawangtrip7.jpg  

Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-tawangtrip8.jpg  

Pulkit99 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:11   #2
BHPian

re: Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkit99 View Post
This story is about a trip to Tawang which my mom, dad and my brother went on. It was one of the most difficult and treacherous trip that they have ever made. They completed this trip on a sturdy old Maruti 800 which is over 18 years old.
The 800 is an iconic car which I have had the privilege of owning too. Its really great to see that your father has kept it so well. Few cars this old would be able to make this trip and there are fewer people who would actually attempt it.
How did the cross ply tyres cope with driving in the snow? I am amazed in every way. Do put up more pics of the trip and the car if possible.

PS: I just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to Tbhp, Pulkit!

Last edited by Roy.S : 3rd January 2020 at 19:17. Reason: Adding a line
Roy.S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This must count on top among the epic journeys you must have undertaken in the little Maruti 800. Memories made - now to sit back and savour them in later years!

It's a very robust car, undoubtedly, and it is capable of performing in the hills much beyond its owners expectations. I can well vouch for the car, since I'd owned one, and till today we fondly recall our trip (Delhi-Gangotri-Badrinath-Delhi in an M-800 - September 2000) almost 20 years ago.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 01:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
The 800 is an iconic car which I have had the privilege of owning too. Its really great to see that your father has kept it so well. Few cars this old would be able to make this trip and there are fewer people who would actually attempt it.
How did the cross ply tyres cope with driving in the snow? I am amazed in every way. Do put up more pics of the trip and the car if possible.

PS: I just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to Tbhp, Pulkit!
Thank you very much Mr Roy for your warm welcome.

I must agree with you that Maruti 800 is an iconic car and it will remain so forever. This is one the few rare vehicles that we can still see plying on the roads in almost pristine conditions some of which are over 30 years old.

Coming to the tires , the tries on our Maruti 800 are stock tires, we have not even upgraded them to radial or tubless tires. There was a bit of a grip issue on those , so we had to release some air off them , to get better grip.
Also we preferred not to use nylon ropes or chains on them , as we thought that it might snap and damage the body of the car.

In all it was a struggle with those tires but still we managed to make do with it just fine.

yes i agree! one of the many memorable trips we had with this car. I am sure all the owners of an M 800 might have some interesting story to share about a trip they made a long time ago. A time when there were fewer cars on the road and the fuel prices were not a thing to worry about.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th January 2020 at 08:02. Reason: Back to back posts
Pulkit99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 07:53   #5
BHPian

Welcome Pulkit. What a start, I wish you a long and wonderful journey here just like your wonderful car. The first three generations of M800 were the best looking, timeless designs. Your car looks gorgeous in those backdrops.

Your story is moving, I am sure a lot of readers can relate with you on emotional attachment with a car they cannot part with.

Thanks for sharing and a special thanks to your dad. I believe he would make a great BhPian if he likes writing.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 4th January 2020 at 07:57.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 13:40   #6

Re: Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800

Lovely travel story Pulkit, no ordinary feat to complete this journey in this car!

Quote:
Our trusted car , had taken us to a high altitude place of approximately 3048 meters. It had bravely fought all the bad roads and the deep snow.
The Maruti 800 looks absolutely at home, almost camouflaging into the white snowy landscape in the first photo! This, in a terrain where people would only venture out in bigger cars/SUVs.

Testament to what reliable companions cars can be a when maintained with care; brings back my childhood memories of our green Maruti 800, the first car we had!

Quote:
This is the kind of hospitality that the people of North east have. It was a very joyous moment for us.
Really heart warming! I remember several occasions from my trip to Meghalaya this year where the people proved that it's the small gestures that go a long way and won me and my friends over with their warmth. Tawang was on my travel plans for late 2019 and while it didn't pan out, Meghalaya has left me so spellbound by its natural beauty that I look forward to travelling to the North East again very soon!
tanayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 12:08   #7
BHPian

We had driven upto Meghalaya from Kolkata a couple of months back and I saw 800s and Altos like I have never seen before. You folks sure know how to keep these timeless beauties in ship shape. Nearly all of them sported upsized tires and the paint looked like these came out of factories the day before. No wonder you could do Arunachal with aplomb in your 18 year old beauty and special regards to your dad. He is a testament that its the passion which counts more than what you drive. We also wanted to go to Tawang but realized it would be an uphill task since we did Cherapunji and West Khasi hills. Its the 800s that rule the roost in the narrow and crazy gradients of Shillong city and we saw them everywhere!

Anybody who grew up with cars would have fond memories of the 800. While we owned an Ambassador, there were a few 800s in our extended family. The genes of this great car has been passed down to the Alto, the K10 version of which I drive and has taken me to places like the beaches of Kerala to the mountains of Sikkim, Bhutan and now, Meghalaya. Tempted to try Arunachal this year!.

Hope you dont mind my posting a couple of pictures from my drive to Meghalaya.

At Mawphanlur
Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-img_20191011_070425.jpg

On the highway from Shillong to Tura
Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-img_20191011_095701.jpg

Rainbow falls at the base of the double decker trek
Trip to Tawang in an 18-year old Maruti 800-img_20191012_115748.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 17:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Welcome Pulkit. What a start, I wish you a long and wonderful journey here just like your wonderful car. The first three generations of M800 were the best looking, timeless designs. Your car looks gorgeous in those backdrops.

Your story is moving, I am sure a lot of readers can relate with you on emotional attachment with a car they cannot part with.

Thanks for sharing and a special thanks to your dad. I believe he would make a great BhPian if he likes writing.
Thank u very much for your warm wishes. Yes I must agree and Maruti 800 seems like a timeless ever-green car . A good maintained car can still turn a lot of heads where ever it goes.

Yes I can definitely agree with you on that , my father's love for car is something quite different and i really wish he decides to join us and become a BhPian and share some more of his beautiful and lovely stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanayd View Post
Lovely travel story Pulkit, no ordinary feat to complete this journey in this car!

The Maruti 800 looks absolutely at home, almost camouflaging into the white snowy landscape in the first photo! This, in a terrain where people would only venture out in bigger cars/SUVs.

Testament to what reliable companions cars can be a when maintained with care; brings back my childhood memories of our green Maruti 800, the first car we had!
Yes true Tanayd ..

It is really a testament and sure cars are the most reliable companions when taken care of. The would never let us down in any way.

i feel privileged to be born in the 90's .To be surrounded by such wonderful cars, such as the iconic Maruti 800, maruti 1000, zen Etc etc ..
Any of these cars that are seen on the road instantly bring back a thousand memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
We had driven upto Meghalaya from Kolkata a couple of months back and I saw 800s and Altos like I have never seen before. You folks sure know how to keep these timeless beauties in ship shape. Nearly all of them sported upsized tires and the paint looked like these came out of factories the day before. No wonder you could do Arunachal with aplomb in your 18 year old beauty and special regards to your dad. He is a testament that its the passion which counts more than what you drive. We also wanted to go to Tawang but realized it would be an uphill task since we did Cherapunji and West Khasi hills. Its the 800s that rule the roost in the narrow and crazy gradients of Shillong city and we saw them everywhere!

Anybody who grew up with cars would have fond memories of the 800. While we owned an Ambassador, there were a few 800s in our extended family. The genes of this great car has been passed down to the Alto, the K10 version of which I drive and has taken me to places like the beaches of Kerala to the mountains of Sikkim, Bhutan and now, Meghalaya. Tempted to try Arunachal this year!.

Hope you dont mind my posting a couple of pictures from my drive to Meghalaya.

At Mawphanlur
Attachment 1953427

On the highway from Shillong to Tura
Attachment 1953428

Rainbow falls at the base of the double decker trek
Attachment 1953429
I am so thankful to you for sharing some of the pictures of your journey with us. I honestly am one of the biggest fan of the Alto K 10, especially the pre-facelifted version.

The older generation of the car had such a peppy engine , combined with the small and light body and compact size. It made one of the most perfect small hatchbacks of its time. I have had the opportunity to drive one of these cars one and i was so amazed by the way it handled and drove. My father used to call it the small peppy car.

I am sure Alto must have taken u all these places without breaking a sweat. The good thing about Maruti cars is the trust and reliability. If we take care of the car and keep maintaining it from time to time, it can go on for a long long time.

Really happy that u have shared a few snaps of your trip.
Please do visit Meghalaya again and enjoy the scenic beauty again. And hope we get an opportunity to welcome you to our state.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th January 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Merged
Pulkit99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 19:38   #9
BHPian

Welcome Pulkit99! Our grandparents own the same car in red. I learned driving in it. Such a beautiful car; mechanically simple and with, in the words of another BHPian, close-to-nature driving dynamics. I will make sure ours is never sold off and will probably keep it for the future generations to see, or at least as long as the country’s laws allow . I never fall out with this car.

To other existing M800 owners, I beseech of you this- enjoy your treasure as long as you are in possession of it. No matter how many BMWs, Mercs and Audis we drive, do not forget: this was the family car that you and probably your parents/grandparents hold dear in your hearts (and graduated to), first car or not. Need I say more?

P.S- BHPian Leoshashi owns a beautifully maintained 5-Speed DX nicknamed ‘Golden Goose’.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks