Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 21:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Life in the slow lane, at 20 kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
To me, this is one of the all time great threads on this forum. Magnificent read all throughout.
Thank you. I am honoured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
So, how did you and your bike get back home?
Shipped the cycle back by truck through a friend and caught the train back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed "travelling" virtually with you though I was never a cycling enthusiast. You tell good stories
Wonderful to travel with you in spirit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermasach View Post
Thanks Secretariat for penning down this travelogue! It really brings back old memories and makes of think about our cycle tours back in school and college days.

Your writing is really engaging and immersive. It felt like sitting on the carrier of your bicycle and seeing the entire country side, feeling the air in the hair along with you.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it through and felt younger at heart.
Thank you. I am very grateful. And no wonder sometimes I felt some added weight on the cycle; now I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Lovely write up! Makes me want to start cycling too! On a side note, I now understand the pain cyclists face on a daily basis! Cyclists get absolutely no respect by other motorists sadly! Keep it up!
Thank you. Actually, the pain for cyclists is only in cities where we are brutally dealt with. On highways and on rural roads, it was peaceful and I actually felt safer than in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
This is getting bookmarked :-).
I go to Swamimalai with the entire extended family at least once a year, but never knew of the place where you stayed. I will stay there for sure the next time instead of the nondescript Kumbakonam hotels.
Try the place. Its worth a spin, especially if you are going to the Swamimalai temple, as it's very close. A tad expensive though.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 03:13   #47
BHPian

Wonderful thread! Never knew, life would be so good on 'slow lane', while zipping past all slow moving traffic at 60+ speeds!

While traversing mix of rural and urban roads, did you use 'Google Maps' OR did you rely on any other navigation tools?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is something which I have dreamt of doing ever since I started active cycling 2 years ago. Have had enough of events with Tshirts and targets, my idea of cycling is to explore new places and exploring places by cycle is a totally immersive experience IMO.

There have been so many plans I have discussed with my office cycling group, but nothing has materialized as of now.
We have so far done multiple half day trips, but nothing like this yet.

Can you let us know more about those saddle bags please?
Are you unmarried/do you have a business? how did you pull off a 15 day trip dude?

Thank you for actually penning this down, not many do it.

Last edited by silverado : 28th January 2020 at 10:55.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:18   #49
BHPian

Wow! Quite an eye opener this one. A different perspective and how things actually slow down when you slow down yourself.
Very nicely written and presented. If only we all can ditch our cars and ride to the nearby destination like a tourist in no hurry whatsoever.

Loved the bit wherein the conversation with bikers not wearing helmets ends abruptly as soon as the question around the helmets pops up.

Cheers!

P.S. Rated the thread 5 star -- for the inspiration and the immaculate writeup.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2020 at 10:30. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thanks.
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
While traversing mix of rural and urban roads, did you use 'Google Maps' OR did you rely on any other navigation tools?
Thank you. I used Google Maps only when inside towns. Elsewhere, I did it the old way of asking people. In addition to being as accurate as Google Maps, it gave me the chance to talk to them. The slow lane throws up other needs as well. For example you bless flyovers and race through them in a car. For a cyclist, constantly climbing up flyovers is torture. Therefore at the foot of a flyover, I prefer to ask somebody whether there is way through at ground level . If so, ride there. Only if unavoidable go up the flyover !

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
This is something which I have dreamt of doing ever since I started active cycling 2 years ago. Have had enough of events with Tshirts and targets, my idea of cycling is to explore new places and exploring places by cycle is a totally immersive experience IMO.

There have been so many plans I have discussed with my office cycling group, but nothing has materialized as of now.
We have so far done multiple half day trips, but nothing like this yet.

Can you let us know more about those saddle bags please?
Are you unmarried/do you have a business? how did you pull off a 15 day trip dude?

Thank you for actually penning this down, not many do it.
Thank you. In group, it's more likely to be a 2-3 day trip. Try it on one of the long weekends. Instead of being stuck at a toll booth !! Waving to the poor suckers standing in a mile long queue at the toll booth is one of the indescribable pleasures of cycling

Saddle bags were from Decathlon. This one.

A 15 day trip is a short trip for me ! Every year, it's usually a month long trip ! It helps that I am out of the rat race

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.munish View Post
Wow!
Quite an eye opener this one. A different perspective and how things actually slow down when you slow down yourself.
Very nicely written and presented.
Thank you for your kind remarks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2020 at 10:32. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks. :)
Secretariat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:15   #51
BHPian

Amazing, just amazing. What a splendid journey. And a magnificent travelogue adorned with cute snaps and simple, heart felting narration. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Anyway I have to buy a bicycle at the earliest.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2020 at 10:31. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thanks.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 08:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Amazing, just amazing. What a splendid journey. And a magnificent travelogue adorned with cute snaps and simple, heart felting narration. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Anyway I have to buy a bicycle at the earliest.
Thank you. Buy the bicycle and go for a spin. You will enjoy whatever the distance or time you do - that is irrelevant. And absolutely resolve not to let it gather dust in the basement parking !!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2020 at 10:31. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks. :)
Old 29th January 2020, 09:43   #53
BHPian

Amazing travelogue sir, have always loved cycling. I moved to long distance running around two years ago, and now my bicycle is gathering dust in my room. Sadly, even my running is about to stop for a month and a half thanks to boards.

Do keep updating this thread with some journeys in your, ahem, Wagon R of cycles.
BZ25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:29   #54
BHPian

What an amazing travelogue !! I had to read it all in one go and your words virtually place us with you in all the rural places. And what an apt title.

Thanks for writing it down so lucidly and in details. This was a refreshing read from the other end of the spectrum which usually starts waking up in the dead of the night and rushing off (no offence to those who travel this way).
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
[left]If you must ask, this is a Montra Trance Pro. This is an immediate trigger for any cycling enthusiast to head for the exit. In the pecking order of bicycles, this is probably a Wagon R. Cycling buffs are even more prone to vanity than you lot. If you don't have at least a Cannondale or a Merida, you don't cut it. But then, as this story will tell, my companion has a giant heart. That's all that counts.

The Trip
Bang on and hilarious comment which would get lost on an immaculately written travelogue.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 07:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Amazing travelogue sir, have always loved cycling. I moved to long distance running around two years ago, and now my bicycle is gathering dust in my room. Sadly, even my running is about to stop for a month and a half thanks to boards.
Thank you. Yes, many seem to move up from cycling to running, although movement in the reverse direction seems to come only if there is knee trouble due to running. Maybe you'll one day go on a running tour rather than a cycling tour ! Best of luck for your exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
What an amazing travelogue !! This was a refreshing read from the other end of the spectrum which usually starts waking up in the dead of the night and rushing off (no offence to those who travel this way).
Many thanks. I am of course a card carrying member of the get up really early and drive for a 1000 km brigade. I will go back to that tribe, of course. But during this trip, I thumbed my nose at myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Bang on and hilarious comment which would get lost on an immaculately written travelogue.
Thank you. Interestingly I got bashed by both sides on my cycle. The non cyclist thought I was crazy to spend Rs 15000 on a cycle. The enthusiast refused to recognise me as one, on the grounds that I couldn't claim membership of the fraternity with merely that !
Secretariat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:22   #57
BHPian

Amazing trip report Sir!

Thanks for sharing. After a while I read an interesting write up in these forums. Just got hooked and finished in one go.

Some of the places you have stayed on the way are so marvellous like to Paddy field hut and the chettinad places are so beautiful!

The way you described the Jallikattu event was exhilating and interesting.

Thank you!
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Seriously man, whats next? A walk down the Malabars? as usual read it through in one sitting and man are you blessed with e the gift of the Vocab. Nicely written as always with beautiful pictures. Now we know what happened to you this year as both me and the bitter half were wondering, when you will come knocking.
Cheers on doing a fabulous trip and keep going. You are indeed an inspiration, Sir.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:26   #59
BHPian

Secretariat Sir,

This is one hell of a travelogue! A lot of things have been said in it's praise (justifiably so), but for me, it was a travelogue that I finished completely, after a long long time.

Just like I'm hoping your journey was, the whole write-up was a breath of fresh air - not too many things to visit, not many things to tick off the list, just what we need in these days of our hurried lives.

At the end of the travelogue, I almost felt like that I had personally come back from a very refreshing trip.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Amazing trip report Sir!
Some of the places you have stayed on the way are so marvellous like to Paddy field hut and the chettinad places are so beautiful!
Thank you. There is much beauty in rural India and there is much to appreciate there. They may not be places for traditional sightseeing, but they make for wonderful experiences. As an example, breathing deeply a lungful of air scented with that unique smell of a paddy field is a joy that is unparalleled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Seriously man, whats next? A walk down the Malabars? as usual read it through in one sitting and man are you blessed with e the gift of the Vocab. Nicely written as always with beautiful pictures. Now we know what happened to you this year as both me and the bitter half were wondering, when you will come knocking.
Cheers on doing a fabulous trip and keep going. You are indeed an inspiration, Sir.
Thank you for reading and leaving the comment. Missed you on this trip, unlike in previous trips when I have bothered you endlessly. Now, you have to move again to another fabulous corner of India and very soon I will come knocking ! Where are your travelogues by the way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
This is one hell of a travelogue!
At the end of the travelogue, I almost felt like that I had personally come back from a very refreshing trip.
Thank you very much for your kind comment.

Most Viewed