Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: To the Forests of Eastern Odisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
I felt the Swift could have easily done the drive inside the jungle. But then the powers that be have found a way to generate revenue and employment for the local folk - and thats the primary reason I felt.
More than likely. I've crisscrossed Simlipal in all manner of vehicles. From Ambassadors to Jeeps to M800s etc. Not being allowed to take your own car in prevents entering at one point and exiting from another. Baripada to Joshipur. Frowned upon, but not disallowed.

A reservation at Lulung was the quickest way to get an entry permit. Otherwise too much time was wasted at the forest office. The private contractor running Lulung now is most probably cashing in on that.

What is the electricity situation at Lulung now?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Okay Sutripta-da. I would have loved to hear those stories of yore from you..again interests me a lot. Have heard a lot of those murgir curry (Chicken Curry) with the local beverage under lantern lights, surrounded by an eerie darkness of fire flies - sounds too good to be true!

As for the electricity its the usual supply and we didn't face any power cuts.
But phones don't work once you have entered through Pitabatha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
More than likely. I've crisscrossed Simlipal in all manner of vehicles. From Ambassadors to Jeeps to M800s etc. Not being allowed to take your own car in prevents entering at one point and exiting from another. Baripada to Joshipur. Frowned upon, but not disallowed.

What is the electricity situation at Lulung now?

Regards
Sutripta
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Don't know about Simlipal now, but hardly see fireflies anywhere nowadays.

Lulung electricity was solar. And not reliable, esp. at night. And if not winter, it could be unbearably hot. Strange considering that forests are normally cool.

At certain points phones did work. After a fashion. The guards knew those points.

My wanderlust days are far behind me now. I'll wait for your (the young crowds) stories!

Simlipal is large. Easy to get lost. Once in a spirit of adventure got off the beaten track, got lost. Ultimately made it to the gate well after 'closing time', with practically no fuel left (Gypsy, bad FE, small tank!) to find the checkpost guards frantically radioing each other trying to find out if we had exited, or were still inside.

Be careful of malaria in Simlipal. It is mostly Falciparium. Can kill in three days.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Forests never attracted me this much as have your pictures made me crave for them. Congratulations on compiling such a nice thread. I had plans for Baripada / Bangriposhi in the monsoon times but may be now I have to think of adding Simlipal to this. Thank you for the visual treat.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 15:11   #20
BHPian

Thank you!
I have heard of some great stories about the forests. Especially of the Bengali travellers of yore.

Sure Kuldiha and Simipal will be a riot of greens during the monsoons - however please do check with the authorities whether the core area of the forests will remain open.

Cheers,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Forests never attracted me this much as have your pictures made me crave for them. Congratulations on compiling such a nice thread. I had plans for Baripada / Bangriposhi in the monsoon times but may be now I have to think of adding Simlipal to this. Thank you for the visual treat.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks