Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 17:08   #31
BHPian

re: A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!

Final Thoughts!

This solo trip kin of rejuvenated me. Doing it solo and also self drive was one of the best decisions i made for this trip. I met lot of other solo, couple, young travelers. I offered lift to a police person. I offered lit to hitchhikers. they were 2 young French Citizens who were hitch hiking the entire trip in Jordan. They had planned for 1 month trip! Also I met couple of other Spanish and US tourists. They offered me to take photos in Petra. The Jordan Citizens were very friendly. Most the officials in the tourist places were very helpful. Seems like Indians are still not visiting Jordan in huge numbers. Once I said I am Indian and one of the officials said Namaste and started talking about Sharukh Khan!! Also I was amazed at the rich history of Jordan. A mix of cultures - Christianity, Islam, Roman, Greek, Neolithics, etc! Wow!!
This entire trip went fine without any issues. At the end of the day, I have collected some good memories which I will cherish in my entire lifetime. Also I wish I had extended my trip for 2 more days. Would have covered Aqaba, Bethany beyond Jordan, Kerak Castle, Um er-Rasas. I think I will do another trip in future to cover the missed places.

Here are some more left out photos and helpful links.

The amount of walking and hiking I did in Petra visit!

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1169.png

One more beautiful click of the monastery monument

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-_dsc0035.nef.jpg

The trail I took to reach the Monastery. This was taken while descending back

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-_dsc0041.nef.jpg

The streets in Petra. Notice a pathway in the middle. Thats actually water canals. Used to collect rain water and supply it to the city

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1025effects.jpg

This is how it looked inside the monastery

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1074.jpg

In the treasury monument, there was some kind of room underneath. May be this is where the bodies were buried or mummified. Not sure

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1149.jpg

One more click of the canyon in Wadi Rum Desert

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1341.jpg

Food cooked in Bedouin tribe style in Wadi Rum camp

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-img_1503.jpg

This is the walking trail of the Petra I did. Visitors center has maps and its highly recommended to research well and plan ahead if you are visiting Petra

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-petra_trail.jpg

Hotel Booking details:

Ibis Amman booking and fare

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-ibis.jpg

Petra Hotel booking and fare

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-petra.jpg

The Wadi Rum Camp tour and stay costed 90 JOD.

Hilton booking and fare

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-hilton.jpg

Map of the places i drove

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-jordanmap.jpg

Map of the route I took from Wadi Rum to Dead Sea hotel. The red line is the route I took.

A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-wadirumdeadsea.jpg

Useful links

Petra Information page
Jordan Pass
Recent discovery in Petra

Finally enjoy this time lapse video of the sunset taken in the Wadi Rum Desert.

If you enjoyed reading this report and found it informational, please do let me know. I know I am not good at writing, hence pardon me if i didnt explain something properly. Please do contact me for any questions if you are planning a trip to Jordan. Adios!

Last edited by sairamboko : 5th April 2020 at 16:11.
sairamboko is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 07:00   #32
Team-BHP Support

re: A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:06   #33
BHPian

Re: A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!

Wow, one more road trip to Jordan!

As I said even in my travelogue, though Jordan is a small country, it has so much to offer.

Did you take a guide in Jerash? Going through your pics, we may have missed the finer details like the info you gave near Temple of Artemis.

Regarding Wadi Rum, you need a whole day just to soak in the beauty of the desert.

I have written few hacks to travel around Jordan in my log along with important info about changes in visa policy.

And being a solo traveler, you speak with lots of people who are unknown to you and hear lots of experiences and learnings from them. Solo travel is indeed liberating, makes you come out of your comfort zone.
rst89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Wow, one more road trip to Jordan!

As I said even in my travelogue, though Jordan is a small country, it has so much to offer.

Did you take a guide in Jerash? Going through your pics, we may have missed the finer details like the info you gave near Temple of Artemis.

Regarding Wadi Rum, you need a whole day just to soak in the beauty of the desert.

I have written few hacks to travel around Jordan in my log along with important info about changes in visa policy.

And being a solo traveler, you speak with lots of people who are unknown to you and hear lots of experiences and learnings from them. Solo travel is indeed liberating, makes you come out of your comfort zone.
True! Jordan has a lot to offer and along with its rich history and mix of cultures, its a destination which needs more time to cover all.

Regarding jerash - I didnt hire a guide. I went up to the Temple of Artemis to buy water as there was a vendor there. We chatted and he shared those details Kind of free guide service.

Wadi Rum - Its a different world altogether! I spent half a day and then the night. Definitely will have to do one more trip in a more leisure and relaxed manner.

What you shared about solo traveler is true. Met lots of people, strangers! Its all unique experiences and you come out of comfort zone easily.

I read about the visa changes. Sad that we Indians dont get Visa on arrival anymore! I am happy that I did the trip before the policy changed.
Old 6th April 2020, 19:30   #35
BHPian

WOW!

A wonderful trip. Courtesy your snaps, I felt like experiencing the Roman times myself.

Indeed driving in a foreign land is always a surreal experience.

Initially reading the heading, I thought, OMG, is it even safe to travel to Jordan. Your travelogue has allayed those fears.

Did you not do any local shopping?
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 22:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup with a lot of good pics! Good to see you visited solo and had a liberating experience. Yes, it does take you out of your comfort zone but it is a nice feeling to be able to visit a foreign country and do things completely in your own pace.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:36   #37
BHPian

Amazing photos and description. This travelogue can be termed as guidebook of Jordan from India.
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 02:21   #38
BHPian

Amazing road trip and very informative blog. Will make it a point to refer to it when I plan a trip to Jordan.
While going through it was reminded a lot of my solo trip to Turkey. The fabulous architecture and history of Ephesus and its surroundings are very similar. The caves remind me of Goreme in Cappadocia area. The kind of engineering knowledge the ancient timers possessed is mind boggling. We have so much to learn and admire from history.
jd10ent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
WOW!

A wonderful trip. Courtesy your snaps, I felt like experiencing the Roman times myself.

Did you not do any local shopping?
Thank you! I hate shopping So i didnt look or plan for local shopping. All the shopping I did was in Amman and Dubai Airports. I bought some dead sea salts and sand rub which are supposedly medicinal in nature and good for your skins in Jordan airport. In Dubai I shopped for my family and kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice writeup with a lot of good pics! Good to see you visited solo and had a liberating experience. Yes, it does take you out of your comfort zone but it is a nice feeling to be able to visit a foreign country and do things completely in your own pace.
Thanks a lot Naveen! You hit the right word - liberating! About solo travel what you said is true, i can do it at my own pace and need not wait for anyone to get ready or things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
Amazing photos and description. This travelogue can be termed as guidebook of Jordan from India.
Thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ent View Post
Amazing road trip and very informative blog. Will make it a point to refer to it when I plan a trip to Jordan.
While going through it was reminded a lot of my solo trip to Turkey. The fabulous architecture and history of Ephesus and its surroundings are very similar. The caves remind me of Goreme in Cappadocia area. The kind of engineering knowledge the ancient timers possessed is mind boggling. We have so much to learn and admire from history.
Thanks a lot! Please do let me know when you plan your trip. I can help you. Even though I covered majority of the sites in Jordan, I missed out on Aqaba, Dana reserve and some more castles and other sites. Turkey is in my list to visit in future. Our ancestors were well advanced ! As you said we need to learn a lot from our history.
Old 18th April 2020, 16:39   #40
BHPian

I was watching Indiana Jones and the last crusade just for the Petra view. Here is a collage. Left is photo taken by me, right is the snapshots from the movie. I am totally smitten by the Petra and would definitely visit again.
Attached Thumbnails
A solo trip to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan aka Jordan!-1587208154228.jpg  

sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 23:28   #41
BHPian

This is absolutely amazing stuff. You are lucky to have visited part of an area that has been almost continuously inhabited by man since the very beginning. I would love to do a long tour of the Fertile Crescent and the Levant. The more I read the more I long to.

God willing, perhaps, one day!
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks