Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 14:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beaky flies north – Spiti on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

Spectacle! Truly, I felt my two eyes didn't do justice looking and reading, felt I needed another pair of eyes, just to digest it all. Crisp thread, chilled out images and every time I read the Spiti Odyssey it always reminds me of my own experiences, with such vividness.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
We did visit Nako, Batal to Manali, but on the contrary I felt that was the most challenging ride in this entire trip. Route was full of slush and mud, 23 water crosssings with 2 big ones, Steep climbs in slush e.t.c;.
True we too thought this was the most treacherous and challenging part of the trip. We saw a lot of four wheelers stuck at such water crossings too. And I distinctly remember being instructed to cross these water crossings before afternoon as melting snow makes wading through the enlarged streams of water even more difficult. It was difficult but very thrilling!
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 16:39   #33
BHPian

Great ride. 24 days is some long ride duration, well done on that part. Most of the pictures are great, just a suggestion - many pictures seem to have been taken from a high level from ground, they could've turned out amazing if level was slightly lower, specially the bike pics.
amods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Amazing read and photographs @kozhissery

Monday begins.
Literally lived the ride with the write-up and photos.

Just two questions.
1) What care did you guys have to take for getting the bikes started in the sub-zero temperatures please?
2) Did you notice any significant difference in the power delivery of the bikes at those higher altitudes?
No specific measures where taken. Unniettan (@kozhissery) used to religiously cover his bike's handlebar and front console most of the days in the hills.

I did not do that and was taken to task by the freezing of handle lock in Multistrada at Battal - Manali leg in the morning. The entire console, what the hell entire bike was covered with thick snow/ice. It was eventually cleared by CEO of Ducati (Ehem... @ Lovellin, very handy and knowledgeable guy). He suggested using boiling water which solved the issue.

As Multi has a compression ratio of 13:0:1, yes it was having issue like power drop, I initially thought it may be fuel issue. On hindsight it may be the combination of air quality and air filter getting clogged. This was prominent during Kaza to Batal leg which had some high altitude roads(if we can call it roads). Once we reached Manali, Multi was back to its elements.

I really cannot fathom, why ducati has opted for such high compression ratios in the Adventure lineup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
The multistrada is an eye catcher with stunning backdrops.

Keep riding, keep writing.
Yep it's the toughest ride we faced till now and our truly 1st >3000 Kms ride in a bike. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
True we too thought this was the most treacherous and challenging part of the trip. We saw a lot of four wheelers stuck at such water crossings too. And I distinctly remember being instructed to cross these water crossings before afternoon as melting snow makes wading through the enlarged streams of water even more difficult. It was difficult but very thrilling!
Yes we also did the same and tried to start early, but as we say when we plan too much it happens the otherwise. We where only able to start by 8.30~9.00AM that day due to above mentioned handle lock issue. We were nearly in the fag end of the season and the route particularly the Kaza to Manali via Batal was getting more difficult. On our Kaza to Batal leg, it was advised to turn back to Kaza at the checkpost before Kunzum Pass.

ps: Ducati CEO trivia : As it was high up on the mountains and the conditions for accommodation pretty bad( we can say worst ) everything was getting on the nerves. Lovellin sugested to me to use hotwater on the handle lock, but I was apprehensive and suggested to refer the manual also tried to call the support team back a Kochi. He was getting pissed of and exclaimed " You need not be CEO of ducati to solve this issue". . So we anointed him as CEO of Ducati.

Last edited by Vasuki : 6th April 2020 at 17:43.
Vasuki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

This travelogue is outstanding. It took me a couple of hours to go through and must tell you, is totally worth it.

Thanks for sharing as it will help a lot of people as it has all details covered [distance, addresses].

We had so much fun reading it, I am sure, it must have been amazing 24 days for you 3 guys. Hats off.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:57   #36
BHPian

Thanks a lot for sharing such a detailed account complete with beautiful pictures, kozhissery! The hotel locations will come in really handy(especially post Gurgaon) while planning a ride to Spiti since I will be riding from West Bengal ! More miles to you and Beaky !
turboNath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Superb travelogue! This was a nice and refreshing read on a Tuesday morning. When you visit the Himalayas, sometimes you feel like only staring endlessly and absorbing in the breathtaking scenery in your mind. It's experiences like this that make you feel go back again to the mountains.

Very nicely written as well. Great stuff indeed!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:33   #38
BHPian

Wow, what a way to start my day, it took couple of hours to read the whole log.

Congratulations on the adventure, awesome bikes and great photos - love the shoot of Mighty MS. Thank you for sharing.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:31   #39
BHPian

That was an Epic travelogue!. . I read it over a couple of hours. Just the right mixture of minimalistic essential narration and loads of good photos. How did you guys manage to put together 22 days of leave, while my friends and I struggle to even get and coordinate 3-4 days of leave?. That on its own is commendable.

Couple of observations - your soft luggage was mostly held together by the bungee cords and I notice that in a couple of photos, the luggage seems to have migrated forward, did that pose an issue when riding ?. Having completed the epic ride, are you contemplating getting formal luggage system for your steed??.

Also, I noticed that in one of the photos, the MS had the left handle bar-guard cum-turn indicator missing. Did it get damaged in a drop or something?.

I was also impressed by your narration of how the Suzuki SVC guys kept enquiring about the warning lights issue and kept in touch till it was fixed. Top marks to the SVC chaps and also I guess to your relationship with them, which got them to follow-up and keep check.

Wishing you many more thousand miles of riding on your superb steed.
Keep riding and keep sharing your adventures.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 12:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post

Also, I noticed that in one of the photos, the MS had the left handle bar-guard cum-turn indicator missing. Did it get damaged in a drop or something?.

Cheerio!
Nice spotting. I lost my balance while coming back from Chandrataal, as the water crossing was pretty deep. On the hindsight, presume that I was quite overwhelmed by the nalla crossing done by KTM 390 (@Lovellin, most experienced guy in our team) and was really on my nerves seeing him struggle with the water crossing.

You can just imagine on those knee deep water, I struggled and the bike tilted to the left side. The handle guard took the impact, as was unable to lift it in that position. Lovellin and Uniiettan(kozhissery) helped me out, but the handle guard broke which was fixed at Ducati Delhi.

Learned a lesson and led the Batal to Manali leg from the front which had more number of crossing with Zilch issues.

Last edited by Vasuki : 7th April 2020 at 12:48.
Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:55   #41

Hi Kozhissery, nice travelogue! We met up at Nako and Gue, the couple on the D390. If only I had known you all were BHPians as well, we would have had many more tea and coffee at the Gue dhaba then!
PG03 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
Hi Kozhissery, nice travelogue! We met up at Nako and Gue, the couple on the D390. If only I had known you all were BHPians as well, we would have had many more tea and coffee at the Gue dhaba then!
Hi. How are you? We also met @Komic, right. If you see the 10th picture in this post, it is you I presume?

Link : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4772150 (Beaky flies north – Spiti on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT)
Old 7th April 2020, 22:09   #43
BHPian

Great pictures....Had the pleasure of meeting you guys at Rohtang La. That morning when we were having paranthas at Batal dhaba, I saw the three of you starting out. caught up at Rohtang La.. had a picture too but it seems I have misplaced it somehow. Anyway, great to have met fellow BHPians and best of luck to you and your bike for future rides/trips.

We drove from Kolkata and followed almost the same route in Spiti with a few minor deviations.

Best wishes
novice_alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 22:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
Great pictures....Had the pleasure of meeting you guys at Rohtang La. That morning when we were having paranthas at Batal dhaba, I saw the three of you starting out. caught up at Rohtang La.. had a picture too but it seems I have misplaced it somehow. Anyway, great to have met fellow BHPians and best of luck to you and your bike for future rides/trips.

We drove from Kolkata and followed almost the same route in Spiti with a few minor deviations.

Best wishes
Same here was definitely a pleasure meeting you. You were in an Ertiga, right?
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 05:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Same here was definitely a pleasure meeting you. You were in an Ertiga, right?
Yes. We were in an Ertiga. The first picture is myself, my son, and my friend (whose Ertiga it is) the second picture is my son with you in the background..
Attached Thumbnails
Beaky flies north – Spiti on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT-img_20191005_142332.jpg  

Beaky flies north – Spiti on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT-img_20191005_142057.jpg  

novice_alto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks