Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2020, 01:18   #1
BHPian

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri

Dear members, this is my first travelogue on this forum and I recite the moments from a recent car trip during Feb-March 2020. I have been making repeated attempts to write down a crisp travelogue, however the work constraints prevented me from completing the same. The present lock down has presented me with sufficient time to draft, review and finalize this travelogue.

Preamble.

On 08th October 2019, during the auspicious occasion of Dasara, the New Ciaz Alpha Petrol was inducted in our family. The new Ciaz had completed few short trips to Lavasa, Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar et-al, however the itch to take her on really long trips kept increasing. I was hunting desperately for a reason to explore the new 1.5 Litre mill and other acclaimed features of the new Ciaz such as SHVS, all LED headlamps, etc. A family function scheduled on 27th February 2020 at Sringeri provided a perfect context to take up the journey with Ciaz. Sringeri is a prominent pilgrimage centre in Karnataka and is located approx. 862 Kms from my residence in Dombivali.

Time Schedule.

The function would commence at 07:00 am on 27th February 2020 and time constraints were already set in due to ongoing examinations of my kid which would conclude on 26th Feb by 12:00 noon. A search on G-maps revealed that the time required to reach destination (including a mid-way pick-up in Shivamogga) would be approx. 14 Hrs. i.e., we would be arriving at the destination by about 2:30 a.m.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-1.png

Preparations.

I admit it frankly that no prior preparations for the Car was made except for setting tyre pressure on all five tyres to 1 psi above the recommended values and a thorough body wash. It was further ensured that me and my family members get a full eight hours deep sleep, before dawn breaks in.

The D Day.

Finally, the much-awaited D Day arrived and we were all set to move. The car was cranked at sharp 12:55 hrs and we headed towards our first stop for lunch at the Food Court shortly after Khalapur Toll plaza. The tank was fuelled until auto cut-off was triggered. During the near 45 minutes break, we had a balanced and lesser spicy meal and we were right on the highway again. Our journey there after was uneventful as we crossed Pune by 16:45 hrs. The road from Pune towards Satara seems to have deteriorated but still we could maintain healthy but legitimate speeds. Once we passed Satara, the Road was in pitiable condition and continued so up to Kolhapur. At about 19:20 hrs, we took the second break for snacks for about 30 minutes, at hotel Sai International, Yelur near Kolhapur. This one is my regular stop on NH4. It is a cosy place with clean washrooms and ample parking space. Food was strictly average.

We crossed Kolhapur town by 20:30 hrs and Belagavi by 22:15 Hrs. Enter Karnataka and one would easily experience the perceivable difference in the driving conditions between the two states. Firstly, the tarmac in KA part is butter smooth with hardly any potholes. Secondly, two wheelers are almost non-existent in KA even as the available ones move within the shoulder line, allowing full carriage way for faster vehicles. Kudos to NHAI Karnataka for being exemplary in maintaining this section of NH4 in an excellent manner.

Our second fuelling stop was at a small place called M.K. Hubli slightly after Belagavi. As the journey continued, we began to look out for a decent place for dinner. We learnt a lesson in a hard way that the highway hotels in KA shut down by 22:30 hrs and it would have been wiser on our part had we opted for dinner at Belagavi. The places shown by G-Maps as open were either closed down or were about to close without permitting customers inside any further. Finally, at sharp 23:05 hrs we located a place called Rajasthani Dhaba at the outskirts of Dharwar town. The toilets, hygiene and importantly the food, all were far below average. Given the conditions, we were sure of not spotting a better place any further and finally settled for whatever was available. With dinner concluded and a short break of 15 minutes we commenced our journey at about 00:10 Hrs and followed G-maps scrupulously. At a place called Tirumalakoppa, G-Maps advised deviation from NH-4 and take a by- lane which would undercut the highway and later join the SH-1 at Tadas.

The Highway from Tadas to Shivamogga is smooth, pothole free and very well maintained. One can enjoy the sweet humming sound of the Engine and nothing else. The OEM Apollo Alnac 4G on the Ciaz are near silent at legal speeds and provide adequate grip. The traffic on this stretch is sparce. The Only fly in the ointment are innumerable speed breakers which appear frequently and reduce the speeds drastically. For someone who intend to drive smoothly to Shivamogga from Hubli, it would be advisable to proceed up to Ranibennur or even up to Harihar and then reach Shivamogga via Honnali.

One notable point of the Ciaz during night journeys is the brilliant LED headlamp set up. The first gen Ciaz which I had earlier had really pathetic projectors and night journeys were a real nightmare. Not the same anymore. The New Ciaz illuminates the road very well and reduces unnecessary strain on the eyes thus making driving much more enjoyable.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-2.jpg

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-3.jpg

We reached Shivamogga at 4:45 a.m and finally Sringeri at 6:45 Hrs. We attended the function and later rested for the day. We set the second day for local exploration.

Sringeri is a pilgrimage town and presents several picturesque locations with pristine beauty. The main monastery was established about 1200 years ago and it appears to have undergone various iterations of renovations and modernizations from time to time. The main Gopura and the Shrine appear well maintained and relatively modern.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-5.jpg

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-7.jpg

The oldest structure in the complex stands about 600-800 years old (as it appears so from various texts) and has a unique horse shoe shaped layout and a Vimana at the extreme end. Inside it also houses unique columns with lion figures (or may be they are Kirtimukha’s) holding free moving stone balls (perhaps intended to resemble earth) in their mouths. A very unique sight which cannot be recorded as photography is not permitted within the premises.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-6.jpg

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-8.jpg

On the back drop one could find a river with clear waters flowing. The river houses several fishes which are usually fed by tourists. Puffed rice is usually fed by tourists, but our experience revealed that the fishes loved gulping biscuit crumbs much more.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-9.jpg

At the evening of 28th Feb we headed to a nearby spot called Sirimane Falls. The fall is of shorter height and is quite safe to play. Access to the water body is well controlled through railings and clear markings.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-10.jpg

Our initial plan was to start from Sringeri on 29th Feb 2020, however given the peaceful environment and tranquil nature around, kids did not budge a bit and we decided to extend our stay for next two days. One of the advantages of journey by own Car is flexibility. One can easily accommodate any changes in the travel plan at any moment without taking much hit.

Our return journey commenced on 02nd March and based on our previous experience it was decided to avoid SH1 altogether. Instead we headed to Hubli via Shivamogga, Honnali, Malebennur, Ranibennur and Haveri.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-11.png

The journey commenced at about 7:30 a.m and within minutes we were amidst thick forests covered with mist. No words can describe the serenity of nature, one must be there to experience it themselves. The curvy roads, forest, mist and nature makes for a perfect setting to just stop at choice and admire mother nature.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-12.jpg

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-13.jpg

As expected, the roads from Sringeri all through up to Ranibennur was butter smooth. Well-mannered motorists and sparse traffic made the journey much more enjoyable. Initial plan was to head to Hubli and take an overnight stay there. Intermittent rains ensured that we reached Ranibennur by about 16:00 Hrs just about time by when family was exhausted and by Family demand it was decided to take an overnight halt there itself. Ranibennur is a small town with limited facilities for accommodation and out of desperation we settled at a place called Anantha Residency. The lodge is way below average even while the food options within town are also very limited. During our stay the manager informed us of a place called Devaragudda some 10 kms from our place and we decided to pay visit next day. The Car MID showing amazing fuel efficiency.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-18.jpg

Devaragudda is a small pilgrimage village located on hilltop and provides breath-taking views of the surroundings. Mylaralingeshwara is the principal deity and is worshipped by a family residing there.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-15.jpg

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-16.jpg

By about 15:00 hrs we were back on NH4 and drove all along till Kolhapur.

A 1700 km trip in my new Ciaz - Mumbai to Sringeri-17.jpg

We intended to stop at my favourite Café Coffee Day on the outskirts of Kolhapur. Sadly, it seems the cafe has been shut down recently. Heartbroken because my family had fond memories of this place, since we have been visiting there for many years. We continued till the same Sai international where we had our dinner and continued thereon to reach home by 05:10 a.m

Overall a very satisfying journey and more importantly the New Ciaz performed flawlessly all-along for the entire 1700 Kms trip and kept us all fresh and cool, even after long hours on the road in scorching sun. It is also mentioned that all images in this travelogue were taken either by the dashcam on my car or by the mobile phone. Members are requested to pardon their poor quality, visible reflections and other shortcomings.

With this I conclude my narration and thank each one on this esteemed forum, for lending a generous view of the travelogue.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 21st April 2020 at 01:43.
King_pin09 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks