Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:34   #1
BHPian

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett

Hello all, I would like to thank the mods for accepting my membership request and this is my first travelogue on Team-BHP.
All of you must be wondering about the oxymoron title of the travelogue. You will get to know the reason behind it later.
It all started in the last week of December 2019 with all the New Year blues because me and my wife were going to spend the New Year home because of our Q3 closing commitments.

In order to keep ourselves motivated we decided to plan a half road trip to Jim Corbett in the month of March 2020, just before Holi. We sorted the dates and decided that we were going to stay for two days and enhance our chances of sighting a tiger by completing at least two safaris, preferably in the Dhikala zone. Our plan would start from travelling Jaipur to Delhi on different dates due to work commitments in Delhi, complete our respective works, hire Zoomcar from Delhi and get proceed towards Rampur.

A little background: I have done five safaris in all. Three at Ranthambhore, Rajasthan, one at Sariska, Rajasthan and one at Gir forest, Gujarat. But the tiger/lion sighting eluded every time, though we enjoyed the Safari and the forest fully.

The Booking:

While looking to book resorts in Jim Corbett area we came across an idea to stay inside the Jim Corbett wildlife. One can stay inside the wildlife in different zones and we decided to stay in Dhikala zone (one of the best zones with beautiful, lush green forest). However, we came to know that the booking for staying inside is very sought after and we would be lucky to book on our own! The booking was supposed to open on 1st January 2020, 10 AM. I tried to book the old forest rest house (considered the best based on reviews) but having made three unsuccessful attempt with my CITI card (payment was deducted but the booking was not made), I tried to brook with the HDFC card and the booking went through. But we got the booking for New forest rest house for one day and Sultan for one day (As the others became unavailable after 10 minutes). The New FRH was 35 kms inside the main gate so it was a better option as we would be starting the safari inside the forest and could explore the forest better. While the Sultan was just 6 kms inside the main gate.

After booking for the stay we had to book a vehicle for Safari and we were supposed to do four safaris. The prices for the Safari and the list of permitted vehicles were published transparently on Jim Corbett’s official website.

Finally everything was done the booking to stay, the Safari, the Zoomcar (Ford Ecosport).

The twist:

Somewhere around Mid Feb my wife came to know that her meeting was shifted to someplace else (from Delhi) and that she will not be able to make it. But I really wanted to go as I have been planning for the trip since long time. Then began my quest to find someone to accompany me for the Safari. And, to my surprise, just 4 days before the departure two of my friends were ready for the trip (but the booking was only for two persons in total ). In the meanwhile Zoomcar informed me that the Ecosport I had booked met with an accident so they upgraded my booking to Creta.

The journey and Safari:

We started from Delhi at around 6 AM after picking up the car from designated site, went through inspection and everything looked good to go. As soon as we started it started to rain heavily, very uncharacteristic March weather in the north and the same weather continued till the whole journey with intermittent relief. The journey was made eventful by the Google aunty with its weird choice of road and at one point of time we literally had to go through lanes which were just a few inches wider than our car.
We reached our destination at 1:30 pm and parked our car at the residence of owner of the Gypsy. He was very helpful the whole time. Then we proceeded towards the Dhikala gate in his Gypsy which took 30 minutes, got the gate pass after baggage check and made payment for extra bed. It took around another 30 minutes and off we were inside the forest. Just a few kilometres inside and it was a mesmerising sight. It was the best among the three wildlife I had been to earlier.

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-8a0e8d6b5da7456cabbf6404a03ced5a.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-32d89dcd37ee4ba0ba8a7db63984ffd2.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-ef750269a95e493f80f016419b2c2ae0.jpeg

The distance from the gate to our stay was around 35 kms and with a little detour and stoppage we reached our stay at 6pm. We just witnessed various types of deer in our first Safari.

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-274a49b392ba45109ef70cfc55e2891a.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-38866d2c939d43e8a436de8d0bb03279.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-27f063126bb94f68900c83b429fc6cf7.jpeg

After reaching our stay we completed the remaining formalities, checked into our room and roamed around in the chilly weather. The place was ring fenced from all side and we were told by the staff that on occasions tiger has been spotted in that area too. The stay too had some breath taking views around.

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-de1b6cf6fb434860a9f654136e7a9d1c.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-41b6af5834f947b7aa898610aa3446fa.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-13b39d44a27b416db5e8dc0d443ab8c2.jpeg

The dinner was really good given that we were in a place around 35kms inside the jungle with no network reception. This is the best convenience of staying in Dhikala region as the three times meals are sorted which is not the case in Sultan zone where we had to carry the food packets for our meals. Just as we were having dinner rain pelted down and apparently it did for better part of the night rendering the Tiger sighting improbable as per support staff.

With all the pessimism and gloom we started our Safari at 6:45 AM and soon we forgot about the tiger sighting and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the Safari.

Then, after around two hours we went across a bridge (which the huge canters were not permitted to cross).

We stopped at a spot with only one other vehicle and heard tiger ROAR. A weak roar but enough to keep us interested. After 20 minutes there were around 5 vehicles waiting but our driver turned around the vehicle and stopped just in front of a slope on which we saw not one not two not three but FOUR TIGERS waiting to cross the path. It was a surreal feeling having visited five times before with no luck, having visited Gir Forest where there is a huge possibility to spot a lion, this was the most unexpected day to spot the tiger because of the persistent rain.

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-bd8f865271c1495f94eaf4bebfb0bc39.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-b3e03ade0aa44ff295c2a72ebfaf8dce.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-33a893c909264bfdb9e5ed5bbb6ac83c.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-29b214d0e0fa4be8b4691a67193de9a7.jpeg

Like a King:

In a hurry:

No fuss at all:

The Sultan Experience

After our breath taking and unexpected Tiger sighting we completed our evening Safari rather sedately and thoroughly enjoyed the unexplored landscapes. Then we proceeded towards Sultan which was around 30 kms from the Dhikala stay. We reached there around 6 pm and it was like renting a colonial style bungalow in the middle of a forest. It had two rooms but the second room was unoccupied. Also, do not expect any five star treatment in these stays, everything is very basic but neat and clean. However, in Sultan they don’t have any canteen and one needs to carry their own food. But we decided to carry only packs of Maggie for the dinner. As we were tired, we decided to have dinner and then went to bed. The next morning we were supposed to go for our last Safari but we decided to skip it and leave early. Alas! that was not to be. As soon as we went outside the weather was so beautiful and place looked so nice that we ended lazing around a bit. Also, the fencing in Sultan seemed short in height and wide enough for any animal to get through the fence. We were vindicated after a while as we saw a deer enter the perimeter . Then we were in for another shock as due to consistent rain since the past 3 days the solar heaters were rendered useless.

Some pics in Sultan

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-678c6dbbaaf54845af05455e2a2a5a66.jpeg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-93d592c35adb498d9c1f09421a86fa3e.jpeg

Take a look at the height of the fence

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-94fa85a0ea1f45ca93485f7cf2f2bbaa.jpeg

We bid adieu to the care takers and proceeded towards the gate and finally after two days of no contact with the outside world our phones started beeping and there we were into the real world after two days bliss.

The Zoomcar experience:

This was the third time that I booked a Zoomcar after experiencing it in Chennai and Jaipur (both were horrible experiences). At first I was reluctant to go through all the rigmarole but then decided to give it another go. And to my surprise the experience this time was flawless right from the start of the journey till I got my refund.

A parting shot:

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-f21efbdb52f04fc3a7d7acd903d6be3d.jpeg

Last edited by sahil624 : 24th April 2020 at 11:43. Reason: Sultan experience
sahil624 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 07:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 00:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A travelogue on my favourite jungle! I have visited quite a few jungles in India, but am in love with Corbett specially for the beauty Dhikala offers. I have stayed in Dhikala FRH twice and want to go their again!

Excellent travelogue and you are one lucky person to spot 4 tigers together, that too in Corbett! Its very very rare.

I hope you will like to go through my travelogue on Corbett!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...nds-delhi.html (Corbett Tiger Reserve & Agra: Two consecutive weekends from Delhi!)

Sharing a couple of pics.

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-img_2409.jpg

An impromptu planned trip to Jim Corbett-img_2374.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 26th April 2020 at 00:21.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
A travelogue on my favourite jungle! I have visited quite a few jungles in India, but am in love with Corbett specially for the beauty Dhikala offers. I have stayed in Dhikala FRH twice and want to go their again!
Yes it is the most beautiful of the three forests that I have visited. In fact I was planning to book the Dhikala FRH again for May end (the last leg of the booking before its closed down due to monsoon) but couldn’t due to the COVID situation.
I see that you have visited the forest sometime in 2014, I am curious to know whether they had elephant safari at that time? If yes, did you do one of those? Apparently, they have closed it down now.
Quote:
Excellent travelogue and you are one lucky person to spot 4 tigers together, that too in Corbett! Its very very rare.
Thank you so much, glad you liked it. It is very rare indeed and that too on a rainy day. We were lucky

Quote:
What a fun travelogue, everything is to the detail. And that pic looks killer. I see you spotted elephants too .
Also, now the hotspot for the Tigers in Dhikala region seems to be Paar or Paaro (as they called it). I don’t know if it’s the same as Thandi Sarak or Mota Sal that you mentioned.
sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 20:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
I see that you have visited the forest sometime in 2014, I am curious to know whether they had elephant safari at that time? If yes, did you do one of those? Apparently, they have closed it down now.
Yes, back then elephant safari was available, but I have only done Jeep Safari.

Quote:
Also, now the hotspot for the Tigers in Dhikala region seems to be Paar or Paaro (as they called it). I don’t know if it’s the same as Thandi Sarak or Mota Sal that you mentioned.
These spots change every year.
Now the most popular Tiger in Corbett is SAMBA. I have seen many recent pics of Samba. I have a very trusted guide/driver who has become a friend of mine. Whenever I or my friends visit Corbett he do the booking and all arrangements for us and he also keeps sharing the latest sighting pics with me from the jungle safari's.

I had bookings for Kanha and Bandhavgarh in the first week of June this year, but due to the current situation I have to give it a miss.

Last edited by Samba : 26th April 2020 at 21:08.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 22:04   #6
BHPian

I have few queries on Jim Corbett National Park night stays and the jungle Safari.

1. Since it's a peak tourist season, I am not able to find any night stay booking in Dhokala range. I am getting Sonanadi range night stay accomodations for the suitable dates. (Otherwise we have to wait for booking after 15th Feb. & may not manage the leaves).

Now, is the Sonanadi range- Halduparao good to stay? And how would be the jungle Safari (not very hopeful to see a tiger)?

2. Is it possible for a Dhokala range safari if I am staying at Sonannadi (Halduparao to be precise) ?

3. How can we reach the forest rest house inside the jungle areas from the respective entry gates? By own car or we have to leave the cars at the entry gate and take a gypsy on hire? Is it safe to park own vehicles at these entry gates? Does it require to pre-book these gypsies on hire from the entry gate to FRH? I could not find any such options in UK govt. website.

Request seniors & experienced members for the help. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I have few queries on Jim Corbett National Park night stays and the jungle Safari.

1. Since it's a peak tourist season, I am not able to find any night stay booking in Dhokala range. I am getting Sonanadi range night stay accomodations for the suitable dates. (Otherwise we have to wait for booking after 15th Feb. & may not manage the leaves).

Now, is the Sonanadi range- Halduparao good to stay? And how would be the jungle Safari (not very hopeful to see a tiger)?
When we went in the month of March 2020, we booked the accommodation on 1st January 2020. Maybe you can visit the official website and check the dates of next commencement of booking.
Also, I have no idea about the Sonanadi range
Quote:
2. Is it possible for a Dhokala range safari if I am staying at Sonannadi (Halduparao to be precise) ?
If you’re staying inside a region, you’ll have to book safari in that region.
Quote:
3. How can we reach the forest rest house inside the jungle areas from the respective entry gates? By own car or we have to leave the cars at the entry gate and take a gypsy on hire? Is it safe to park own vehicles at these entry gates? Does it require to pre-book these gypsies on hire from the entry gate to FRH? I could not find any such options in UK govt. website.
You need to book a vehicle, the contact numbers of the authorised vendors are available on the official website. You need to book them before hand. Private vehicles were not allowed in the Dhikala region.
Old 20th December 2020, 00:57   #8

Nice travelogue. Planning a stay in a FRH in the Sonanadi division. Is it not allowed to reach by own vehicle? Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 00:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
In order to keep ourselves motivated we decided to plan a half road trip to Jim Corbett in the month of March 2020, just before Holi.
Route Query: I'm planning a trip next wk, can you recommend a route. Google Map is suggesting two routes.
Route 1: Delhi-Hapur-Amroha-Kanth-Ramnagar
Route 2: Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad-Ramnagar

Which one would you suggest and what were the road conditions back then?
Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 06:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rdey View Post
Nice travelogue. Planning a stay in a FRH in the Sonanadi division. Is it not allowed to reach by own vehicle? Thanks
Hi, sorry I missed your question. I don’t think you are allowed to take your own vehicle inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash86M View Post
Route Query:
Route 1: Delhi-Hapur-Amroha-Kanth-Ramnagar
Route 2: Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad-Ramnagar

Thanks
I would recommend Route 2. It was good when we travelled in March.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:20   #11
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, sorry I missed your question. I don’t think you are allowed to take your own vehicle inside.

I would recommend Route 2. It was good when we travelled in March.
Hi Sahil. What was the route you took between Moradabad to Ramnagar? Was it via Kanth? Planning a trip in April. Additionally, any observations on road quality, recommended rest stops with good loos will help. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Hi Sahil. What was the route you took between Moradabad to Ramnagar? Was it via Kanth? Planning a trip in April. Additionally, any observations on road quality, recommended rest stops with good loos will help. Thanks.
Hi, as far as I remember it was through Kanth. The road quality is good, however, there was a stretch of two lane road. Also, do not follow Google Maps blindly and stay on the highway for most of the journey. If required, take the help of locals and ask them the way to Ramnagar.
We didn’t take many stops, just the one for breakfast just after crossing Ghaziabad.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 17:38   #13
BHPian

Hi Samba,

I read in one of your posts you have a regular agent through whom you book safari at jim corbet. I have planned a visit in during May 2023 and have booked my stay . Looking out for someone trusted to book a safari for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks