Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey

“Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets” ~ Oscar Wilde

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0021.jpg

*This is my first travelogue and I might make few mistakes, I will be very happy to correct and learn.

The Plan: After our tiring Bangalore stint of four months we were back in Pune in Dec-2019, one fine day we were just chatting on how we have not taken out any days for travel and vacation.

Wifey wanted a week to rejuvenate, relax and forget all the issues related to her health and job. We did plan to take a vacation during Feb 2020 which marks two year anniversary of our union but that was too far away. However keeping everything in mind we agreed that the anniversary is a perfect occasion to celebrate with a trip and the conversation ended.

Despite having this conversation she was getting restless and I was getting hopeful (I have a big appetite for trips to unknown places and always ready to go anywhere anytime).

Few days later while coming from work she broke down and told me how much she wanted to get out of this routine, just chill & be happy. I said let’s take 1-2 days off and head to Goa, after all it’s been 3 years since we went all Goan.

Plan was set into motion, Hotel booked, Brute (Tata Nexon) ready to rock n roll with no service due, all parts and fluids checked.

I was happy with the plan, but destiny & wifey had something else in mind.

After a few days the lightning struck, she said I don’t want to go Goa. I want to go to some place cold and snowy, lets go Manali to Highland park again. Woaah! I said what ? Manali ? ok ! Fine ! Agreed!

A glimpse of view from Highland Park Manali

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20190203_092238.jpg

But we have only 9 days (28th Jan 2019 to 5th Jan 2020) and Manali means we cant travel by Brute, have to take flight.

Wifey was ok with flight but I was not. Road was trip gone.

Checked flights for Delhi and calculated budget and everything, it was going over our budget (Peak time) but that’s ok after all you can’t say no to the Home Minister.

A day later asked her should I cancel the Goa bookings and book the flights for Delhi ? She said cancel Goa and hold for Delhi, I don’t want to go to Manali again, we have seen everything there.

Now I was thinking what is wrong with my Women , why can’t she stick to one plan? For guy like me who is little control freak this dilemma renders into chaos. My mind swirling with thoughts that this trip is going to go down the drain and the blame will obviously be on me (married men will understand).

Then a day later (14th Dec 2019) comes the bomb! Srinagar! Lets go Srinagar! We have not been there right?

I say OK boss let me call my friend in the Army who is posted there, lets see if Srinagar is doable (With the ongoing issues in the valley).

Friend says Srinagar is totally fine with mobile service restored and everything but very cold and he is posted higher up so wouldn’t be able to help much.

Skeptical we were and the D day was arriving with no conclusion. Plan was afoot but we were not sure whether we want this.

The next day (16th Dec 2019) Wifey as usual sent a guided missile! Sikkim? Can we go Sikkim ?

to be continued .....

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 14:49.
ShivrajG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 18:39   #2
BHPian

re: Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey

Sikkim? Yes! Why not?
I quickly posted for help in the forum. The replies were fast especially by very own @Samba.

Elated by the replies I booked tickets from Pune to Siliguri.
We had never been to NE and Sikkim was one of the places to visit in our bucket list(which we keep on updating).
Finally the decision part was done & now our focus was good hotel booking, I got lot of suggestions by fellow BHPians on itinerary and planning.

@Samba shared his number in case of any help required which was very generous of him, he also told me that he had one friend who owns a hotel in Gangtok and can help in local travel, if required.

I wanted to explore everything myself and hence didn’t bother Samba but he made me feel safe when travelling to a place unknown. Such kind of small gestures makes this community the best.
Ok! Lets not move OT.

The Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrival at Bagdogra. Take direct Cab to Gangtok, Stay in Gangtok for the night
Day 2: Visit Gangtok City and places nearby.
Day 3: Tsomgo Lake, Baba Mandir
Day 4: Lachen via Chungthang. Stay at Lachen celebrate New Year
Day 5: Visit Gurdongmar Lake and sightseeing, Stay @ lachen
Day 6: Start for Lachung-Yumthang-Zero and stay @ Lachung
Day 7: Start for Gangtok and travel to Bagdogra
Day 8: Flight to Pune Via Ahmedabad
@Samba suggested Dzongu however we planned not to include additional locations as we wanted little leisure time.
Plan was good however whats the point of the trip if it goes as planned. Later on that

The D Day:
Day 0: 27th Dec 2019 there was spring in our step while going to the office, we were brimming with joy for the upcoming trip.
We finished our work early and started when there was daylight. Crossed the Hinjewadi traffic in a breeze and went shopping (I know ).

She shopped, I dropped and we came back home around 8:00 PM & started packing.
The flight was at morning 06:25 AM and hence had to sleep early. Like everyone else here at TBHP I too cant sleep a day prior to the trip.

Somehow managed and started for airport around 4:30 AM.

Day 1: Saturday Morning Flight to Ahmedabad.

Ahmedabad was uneventful and we had a light breakfast at the airport, it was a short layover so waited at Airport only.

Few pics.@ Ahmedabad Airport
Attached Thumbnails
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191228_075439.jpg  

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191228_065550.jpg  

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 15:02.
ShivrajG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 21:26   #3
BHPian

Day 1 : Continued
Flight to Bagdogra was quiet fun. In the middle of the flight the Captain called up and asked us to look left for mighty Mt. Kanchenjunga. At that point of time everyone was leaning on the small windows to catch a glimpse.

We were on the right side and didn’t rush however got a wonderful glimpse of what was in store for us.

Once we landed at Bagdogra we went for WB taxi counter operated by police team for a drop @ Gangtok surprisingly they didn’t had any cabs for Gangtok. Cabs were only plying for Darjeeling.

We wanted to get on our way to Gangtok as soon as possible and hence went outside to negotiate with private cabbies. After quick negotiation we got Suraj with an Etios as our cabbie with WB plates.
As warned by Samba I asked him beforehand that he will drop us at our hotel and not at some taxi stand (Deorali), he assured us that he will drop till the hotel and he knew the location. It was around 12:30 PM when we hired this guy.

Since we hardly had anything to eat since morning we asked him to stop at a good restaurant for quick lunch and then we can go ahead with no stops.

He halted at Citi Dhaba which was an ok place. Image below from google. We were very tired and famished, we asked for dal chawal and quickly completed the lunch. The food was okay nothing to write much about.
https://goo.gl/maps/1bkHFqBVzJqihTt77

We asked Suraj about the location and road conditions. He said we will reach by 5-6 PM if the traffic doesn’t hold us up in Siliguri. I thought we have seen traffic in almost all the major cities we have visited (Pune, Mum, Bengaluru etc) so how bad it will be.

That’s where I was wrong, it was a single undivided road towards Sevoke Road and the traffic was heading a Snail’s pace. We started from Citi Dhaba approximately at 1:15 PM and were in Siliguri till 3:30 PM. For that 11 kms it took 2 hours. Wifey took a nap and Suraj advised me to take one as well however I cant sleep when I am in a car. Just kept looking out of the window to soak in the life of this unexplored city.

Around 3:30 PM we were out of the dense traffic into the Dense Sevoke forest and picked up pace. Driver was well behaved and was quick but within acceptable limits.
It was a terrific journey through the mountains with the steady teesta flowing on one side and scenic mountains on the other.

We stopped for a quick tea midway at a decent restaurant overlooking the river and had some onion pakodas and tea. It was around 5:30 pm and the sun was almost set, the weather got very cold. We were happy that we are going to get the chill pill going forward.

Post the tea we asked the driver to take only necessary stops and get us quickly to the destination.
We did get some road blockages due to construction however we reached the hotel at 8:15 PM and as promised by the Driver he dropped us right in front of the Hotel.

We thanked him and he offered for the drop service if we require at a discounted price from Gangtok to Bagdogra at the end of the trip. I took his number and asked him if he could help with some local taxi guy as well to which he asked me to call tomorrow.

Checked in to Hotel Treebo Trend Orchid in the Lal Bazar market area on the NH10. (Choosing this hotel via Bookingdotcom was easy as it was bang on at NH10 and stone throw distance from lal bajar and MG road market).

It was around 4 Degrees and coming from Pune we were shivering now. We asked the reception if they will serve us dinner to which the lady said we take last orders at 8 PM however we will make an exception for you guys today. Thanking the team we got settled in our hotel room and Wifey jumped into the bed and got all warmed up in the blanket(s).

Had sumptuous dinner (Chilly Chicken & Chicken Hakka Noodles) which was very tasty and filling. We called it a night at around 11 PM.

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 15:12.
ShivrajG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:51   #4
BHPian

Day 2: Gangtok City

Morning view from the hotel room was like this

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7348.jpg

Started the day lazily drooling around.The breakfast which consisted of chole puri and poha at the hotel. I was not expecting much but it tasted wonderful. Kudos to the Hotel red orchid team.

Post breakfast we called Suraj (Cabbie) and asked for a local taxi driver to show us around. He told me you will get a call soon. In a while the guy called and quoted Rs.1800 for the day trip to 10 local sights and back. We negotiated and agreed on Rs.1500.

We got the cab at 10:00 AM and started towards the sights. I was excited to see good road manners by cabbies and pvt vehicles as well.

We stopped at the Flower Exhibition Centre - Ridge Park to have a glimpse of the beauty of nature. We didn’t get much of a bloom as it was winter and many flowers were not there.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_121905.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_121918.jpg

Although this stop didn’t go to waste as we stumbled upon a photographer who asked us for a photoshoot in traditional Sikkimese dress. There was a small shop from which a lady came out and we donned the dresses and posed for few pics. My wife did some dancing as well.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20191229wa0015.jpg

We moved to the next stop which was Hanuman Tok.

Hanuman Tok is a temple maintained by Indian Army at a height of 7200 feet ASL. It was like a divine break there. Beautiful and clean temple away from any noise and hustle bustle.

This is the best location to capture the beauty of Mt. Kanchenjunga and to invoke a spiritual feeling. The Army personnel on duty were very helpful and the priest was also an army guy. We donated what we could in the box for the upkeep of the temple.

No Photo graphy was allowed inside the temple and hence we clicked Mt. kanchenjuga from here.
No more commentary I will let the pictures speak.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7354.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_133453.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_133458.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_133500.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7355.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7357.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7360.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7362.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7366.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7369.jpg

Attachment 2004719

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7371.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7372.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7380.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7387.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7388.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7389.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7392.jpg

Once satisfied to the core with the beauty that is Hanuman Tok, we went to the Ganesh tok temple situated a the height of 6500 feet ASL.

This temple is not maintained by Army. It was clean but the crowd was overwhelming.
Photography is prohibited so we clicked only few pictures and came back. It was a good view however the crowd was too much.
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7393.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7395.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7397.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7403.jpg

We went to Gonjang Monastery next. It was a quiet little place and can feel the spirituality in the air. It was a peaceful place and we felt one inch closer to the heavens.
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_150640.jpg

To be continued ....

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 15:41.
ShivrajG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:12   #5
BHPian

Day 2 Contd...

After the monastery we went to Tashi view point and it was almost 2:00 PM we were not yet assimilated to the attitude and it was taking a toll on our stamina. Somehow we reached Tashi View point and took some pictures and sat there for 15 mins (Exhaustion).
We had a quick tea on the way down and asked Driver to only stop at a very good point or if we say so.

Sikkim Central Jail
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_135647.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7404.jpg

Windy place eh!
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7415.jpg

Yours Truly

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7419.jpg
Places we hardly stepped out
Lhasa Waterfall (Almost dried up)
Enchey Monastery (too tired)

Once done with all the places we bid adieu to our driver however we did ask him for Nathu-La for the next day. He told me Nathu La will be closed on Monday and Tuesday for maintenance and we wouldn’t get the permit, we can try Baba Mandir and TSongmo lake passes tomorrow.
He quoted Rs.3000 which we thought was steep however told him to wait for my confirmation.
We talked to the hotel staff and they told us that they are arranging for a shared cab which will take us to Tsongmo lake and Baba Mandir.
They quoted it for Rs.800 pp for eight seater jeep and we had to go to some point to be picked up with an additional Rs.200 for the cab to pick up point.

We politely declined as we would prefer a reserved cab for our excursion and confirmed Satish (Gangtok cabbie) for the same in Rs.2500 (further negotiated).
He knew we were not the usual tourists who will stop at every fountain or view point so we will be back to the hotel in no time sparing him the entire day for himself.

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 15:46.
Old 11th May 2020, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Day 3:
Excursion to the Beautiful Tsongmo lake and Ropeway ride to heaven.

Got up to a call at 6:00 AM from the driver, he told me to come down. Whoa! Man I am not ready to move yet, he said calm down buddy I am here for ID proof’s for the permit. I will pick you up at 8:30 AM.

Taking a deep breath in the harsh cold, donning the winter wear went down and shared the docs. Came up and saw Wifey sleeping like a queen she is (perks of being the fairer sex).
Lied down for a bit, excited about the journey ahead. Completed the breakfast and the driver arrived.
Started our journey towards the Tsongmo lake, with only few minutes of waiting at check point, it was pleasant with the sun in its full glory.

Going through the mountains with wide roads was fun till the time it reached to narrow road with potholes. Army personals moving all along in trucks and few check posts here and there. Hats off to those brave men in the uniform who keep vigil as we sleep peacefully in our beds.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_100304.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_100804.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_103548.jpg

Reached Tsongmo and immediately struck with awe. If there is a heaven it is here it is now. Tsongmo Lake was partially frozen and the beauty of it cant be described in words.

Driver suggested us to head to rope way and admire the beauty on the way to top and then come down before it becomes crowded at the top.

We went ahead with the rope way ride and me being me (afraid of heights) started the mantras till we reached to the top.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7432.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7437.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7443.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7444.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7483.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7487.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7491.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7493.jpg

The top was barren mountain top which I didn’t expect but it was freezing cold with the mountain wind blowing it out. We clicked many beautiful pictures and came down with red noses.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7454.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7471.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_113417.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_114742.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191230_114855.jpg

We were too tired to go any further and the crowd put us off as well. We asked the driver to take us back to hotel and we would retire for the day in hotel.

The driver dropped us at Taxi stand near to our hotel and as usual I told him about our plan for next 3 days and would like to hire a cab for Lachen and Lachung excursion.

He got me connected to a tours & travel guy near the taxi stand however he was out of any big vehicle required to get a permit for it. Then came Robert the Brother in Law of Santosh (Day 3 Cabbie) with a big hello on the other end.

I told him about our plan of starting for Lachen on 31st , Gurdongmar on 01st, Travel to Lachung on 2nd and Yumthang valley and Zero on 2nd itself, travel back to Gangtok on 3rd (4 days of taxi hire).

He was happy to give us a TUV300 or similar in 4500 a day. I negotiated with him but he didn’t budge. I tried few local tours n travels but all were quoting the same rate for a reserved vehicle.

With no option on hand and wifey adamant on Snow, we decided to take the cab from Robert who appeared genuine. I called him up and asked him to meet in person.

He came and finally agreed to do the complete excursion in Rs. 17K. He said Sir don’t worry I will give you best driver in the world and you will not be disappointed with Sikkim. I thought dude don’t give me this Jazz! I am the best. But boy wasn’t he correct? Later on that.

Finally all the prep done for tomorrow I went back to our hotel to find wifey upset. She said I haven’t done any shopping since we came here, I need to do some shopping to feel I am here. I had that plan in mind but her outburst was sudden and dramatic so I told her we will go to MG road after all it’s a stone throw distance from here.

Went to MG road in evening and the place is beautiful. It’s a LIT place with all the shops and eateries. We did some shopping of warm clothes and went to CCD to have a fab Coffee.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_201039.jpg

We ordered few momos and dinner after our return from the MG road and the food never disappoint you here. The staircase to the Hotel reception.Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191229_201650.jpg

After lip smacking dinner and a Big Boss episode we went to sleep around 11:45 PM.
ShivrajG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 19:42   #7
BHPian

Day 4:
Arduous Journey to the remotest place in India

I had shared our ID Proof’s to Robert for easy transition next day for the permits and plan was to start easy around 10:00 AM from Gangtok.

Woke up to a beautiful morning at 8:00 AM. We had the wonderful breakfast for the last time at hotel Orchid.

At around 9:30 AM I received a call:
Man: Helloooooooooo
ME: Yes
This repeats 3-4 times
Man: Sahab Robert ne number dia tha kahan aana hai ?
Me: Robert ne address nahi dia? anyways come to the hotel orchid at laal bajar.
Man: Ok coming.

Disconnected the call and went ahead with luggage packing and stuff.
This guy called me like 10-11 times within 15 mins for the address and we got irritated whether we got a good driver or not. We specifically asked Robert to give a driver who is actually a local.

Finally many calls later he arrived at 10:30 AM in a shining Innova to our hotel and parked. Whew I was happy to see the Innova as I was skeptical about the type of car he would offer, hotel payment done, luggage loaded and we were off.

Few minutes later he parked the car at some Govt. regional office, I asked what now ?

Prem: Sir permit to lena padega na Robert will meet you here.
Me: Didn’t I ask him to get the permit earlier?
Prem: Don’t worry it wouldn’t take long take some selfies here and theres also an emporium of local Sikkim handicrafts.
Wife and me lets take a selfie man
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191231_114011.jpg

Robert came in few mins with all the papers done, paid him and checked whether Prem is a good driver or not. I was skeptical with his navigation skills . He told me nothing to worry, he is the best he got at this time.

We thought lets get on with it if he drives too rash I will take over the reins.
Around 11 AM we started from the regional office leaving behind all the worries in the world. The weather was good and speed was moderate, the driver surprised us with his understanding of the roads and road manners.

We stopped for lunch at Mangan and had very nice dal chawal and aalo ki sabji. Post a light meal we started from Mangan towards chungthang which is a Y junction for Lachen and Lachung.

The Drive was pleasant but the roads weren’t, we understand why these places are called remote.

Few kilometers later we were stopped at a check post and driver presented the permit documents, we were pleasantly surprised to find a soldier on duty who introduced himself and then gave us caution for the ride to Gurdongmar and asked us to follow the Driver’s instructions.

We agreed and had little chat with him for the route ahead and weather conditions, he warned us that since he was posted at Pune and the climate wouldn’t be anywhere close to what we had experienced in Pune. We were delighted to hear that after all we were looking for the extreme.

Started our ascent towards Lachen and by 5:30 PM on 31st Dec 2019 we arrived at the hotel Summit Panghen Metok Hotel. The hotel is very beautiful and at the very start of a beautiful road going inside Lachen village.
We got our luggage out but couldn’t find a single soul to direct us. Few minutes later a guy reached to assist us. We told them that we have booked for 2 nights here and 2 nights at Lachung. He told us that we have a room ready for you however there has been a gas leakage and they wouldn’t be able to give us anything to eat not even tea.

The temperature was around 1 degree when we arrived and was expected to go down till -4 in the night. We asked if they can arrange food from outside and tea to which they very rudely denied and told us we can go down walking to the village and get it. We had asked our Driver Prem to leave and pick us early for Gurdongmar the next day however at this point we were very skeptical on this hotel. It was getting cold inside the room so we asked at least provide us an electric blanket or a heater (Heaters are not allowed in remote villages) to which they again refused RUDELY.

That was it, we called Prem to take his advice and to help find us some food however to astonishment his phone was switched off. We took matters in our hand and talked strongly to the manager and told him the hardship we were about to face. He wasn’t of much help but gave us 2 extra blankets.

We went outside in the shivering cold to get some food and to our luck there was a small vendor selling chicken noodles and momos. We bought Momos and Noodles and by the time we reached hotel it was cold.

Since it was 31st Eve we didn’t wanted to ruin it just because of a hiccup in the plan, we played music on our speaker till 12:00 am and enjoyed to the fullest.
few pictures....
The road
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191231_121526.jpg
Beautiful skies
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191231_121527.jpg
The Destination
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20191231_165023.jpg
The View from hotel Lachen Village
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_102901.jpg
Lachen River
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_103151.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_111957.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_112010.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_112015.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_112026.jpg
Capturing the beauty
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_123539.jpg

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 15:55.
Old 15th May 2020, 17:47   #8
BHPian

Day 5: The Gurdongmar Dream Woke up around 8 AM to a shivering cold outside. Went to reception to find Prem waiting for us.

He told us few the cars were stuck at Gurdongmar and would be little difficult to reach there at this point. Since there was no breakfast available and no point in continuing at this hotel we decided to skip Gurdongmar with heavy heart and move to Lachung the same day.

We started for Lachung having bearing the coldest night of our lives and happy that we achieved at least one thing coming here. This trip was more of a reconnaissance of this place so that we can come back in future via own vehicle.

Missing Gurdongmar was heavy on our hearts but it was filled with joy once we started for Lachung.

The route filled us with wonderful view and pleasant sun. We reached a café run by some local guy which was frequented by Army personnel for a pit stop.

We had Maggie and omelette with a perfect coffee for the day. We started from the café, met a soldier walking alone before I could say something to Prem he himself asked if we can give this guy a lift, I said why not.

To which Mr. Limbu (The soldier walking with a heavy backpack) politely declined as his Jeep was on the way to pick him up. After a Quick chat we went ahead. The roads were difficult and Prem was driving very perfectly.

He was very cautious of the snow on the road and waded through with ease. Innova is a very nice car to move around in such areas.

We reached Summit Khangri Karpo Retreat and Spa around 3:00 PM. We immediately asked them for Heater and asked for food as the experience was very bad in one of their chain the previous day.

They said food is available and tea will be served immediately, it was a respite. We asked if our room was ready and if we can have a look. They reserved us a road facing room which was ok however we asked if they can give us a River view room to which the receptionist said it will be different rate.
We were ok to pay a small premium for the view. Checked in to this amazingly beautiful corner room at the hotel overlooking the Lachung River.
View from the room

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200101_150600__01.jpg

Asked Prem to retire for the day and asked him to keep his phone on just in case, then we got to know that his Service provider is JIO and he has no network. Then we understood why he was not available yesterday.

We asked him to come next day 2nd Jan 2020 at around 8 am for yumthang and Zero trip. He agreed and asked us to be ready by 7:30 AM. We didn’t understand his emphasis on getting ready early, we had a delicious dinner (Chicken Handi & Phulkas) went for a stroll in the village in the cold and enjoyed the weather to the full.
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7588.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7593.jpg

Day 6:The Zero fail

Woke up at 7:00 AM and started getting ready for the trip, however wifey was in no mood to rush.
She slept for another 1 hour only to wake up at 8:30 AM, Prem had arrived and was asking us to rush now.
We ordered breakfast in room and started at around 9:30 AM.

Prem was hurrying to reach Zero point first at this point I asked him that why is he in such a hurry, he said Local police stops entry after morning 11:30 AM.
Dead silence in the car, opened Google Devi and navigated to Zero it showed our arrival time as 11:00 AM. Thanked our stars and moved forward in a zip.

Upon reaching the Sikkim police check post we stopped for paper check and got the shocking news that the timings to allow visitors near Zero is 10:30 AM and we cannot proceed further. Dejected, sad, crestfallen are the words when it comes to our situation at that moment.

We gave in to our fate and Prem tried to cheer us up during the way back by stopping at any snow point he could find. He took our pictures and asked us to pose.

We headed to Yumthang which was the only point we could go now.
When we were going towards Zero we didn’t pay much attention to the beauty that was Yumthang.

When we arrived at Yumthang there was hardly anyone and weather was freakishly cold. However the view was breathtaking, the river flowing continuously from the mountains and the serene beauty was captivating. I will let pictures do the talking.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0010.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0013.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0014.jpg

saathi hath badhana ...

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0015.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0016.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0019.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0020.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0021.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200102wa0023.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7540.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7545.jpg
disappointed but not sad
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img20200101wa0008.jpg

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 16:18.
ShivrajG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:49   #9
BHPian

Day 5 Contd..
We spent close to an hour and half at the place soaking in the beauty taking selfies and sitting in the calm and soothing environment.

We started our journey back with heavy heart as this was the last day of our trip and we couldn’t do much sightseeing. We stopped at few places and took some very beautiful memories with us.

It was time to head back to Hotel and rest for the next day we head back to Gangtok and then Siliguri for our flight back to Pune.

Trip was ending and we were not at all content with it. I was humming “chala jaata hu kisi ki dhun me ..” when wifey interrupted and said I don’t want to go back I want to see Zero point as well. I asked Prem if it was possible to do Zero tomorrow early morning and then head back to Gangtok by 12:00 PM ? He said it will be difficult to do and we don’t have permit for tomorrow as well. I asked him to show me the Documents. The document was valid till 03rd Jan 20 and we can access Zero the next day. He said sir it will be very difficult for me and lets not do it.

I got him to a side and said “are you married Brother?” He said “yes” I said it’s a request from one married men to another you know how difficult it is to manage a sulking wife. He understood very quickly(assured him monetary benefits as well) and he gave me thumbs up for the trip next day.

Elated by his agreement I conveyed this news to wifey and she was all happy and excited. We reached our hotel, retired for the day, and asked Prem to come early the next morning so that we can be on our way as early as possible.

We ordered food and enjoyed the cold waves sitting in the balcony and enjoying the view. We got some drinks up danced all night and then went to sleep little early at 11:00 PM.

Day 6: The Zero, Gangtok and the Accident...

I got up early in the morning and started packing our bags before Prem arrives and for the first time in my life wifey was up and ready to move in time.
We left for zero point and in quick 2 hours of driving, we were at Zero. We were not allowed by Army to go till the end so we enjoyed where all the other people were enjoying. It was severe cold and picture quality cannot do justice to the view we witnessed.

I will let pictures do the talking.
The Beautiful Zero

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7597.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7598.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7600.jpg

The Loyal Steed which ferried us.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7601.jpg

Her Majesty on The Royal Throne

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7606.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7610.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7614.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7615.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7616.jpg

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7617.jpg

Barren lands but picturesque

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7618.jpg

Missus On top of the World

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_7620.jpg

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 16:22.
Old 18th June 2020, 19:00   #10
BHPian

Day 6 contd...

Once we had our full share of Zero we bid adieu to the place and headed towards our hotel to complete the checkout formalities.

We asked if we could get some lunch to which they denied as Lunch hours start from 01:00 PM and we were ready to leave by 12:00 PM. Very strange behavior I have seen in Sikkim from the hotel management & staff.

I would not give them any points for hospitality.

We started for Gangtok at the same time and stopped for a quick Maggie and omlette lunch at the same café we stopped while on our way to Lachung.

There we met Tenzing,

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_130631.jpg

he was the owner’s son and cute like a teddy bear. He was so adorable and cute that wifey could not help but held him in her arms. He started crying and as soon as she left him, he was all happy and excited to run around.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_130826.jpg

We forgot everything and played with him for next 15-20 mins.

Finally, it was time to leave and he was happily waving at us with both hands.
Taking these memories we started our return journey to Gangtok, on my way I called up Suraj to arrange a cab by 6 PM for Siliguri. He confirmed that there was ride coming in from Siliguri and he can take us to Siliguri however since it’s an Innova he will charge 3k instead of 2500 as promised earlier.

We were impressed with the driving skills of Prem with innova and happily agreed with Suraj. It started raining shortly and weather was all foggy. We reached Gangtok around 6:30 PM and called the driver to inquire on his location. We reached the location confirmed by him and boarded our ride to Siliguri.

The weather was cold and it was raining we started from Gangtok around 6:30 PM and asked the Driver Sanjay to take a quick coffee stop but he never listened.
This guy was scaring us. He was driving very fast and talking on his phone. He did that in the entire stretch of Gangtok city and once we were on highway he started a video call to someone and showing them how it was raining and all.

At one point of time I was about to shout at him, but wifey stopped me. She had a feeling that something bad is going to happen.

Finally after Rangpo this guy decided to stop at Oasis café. We had very nice coffee and cookies to eat.

This place in Rangpo is a must visit. Oasis Café- https://goo.gl/maps/VFxXhTVR6GPc3agG8

We wrapped up quickly and moved on. Few minutes later we saw a Jam on the right side of the road although Left was free and we were cruising along.

Then comes an Sikkim registered alto trying to jump the line and get in the middle somewhere, Innova was very fast, We were already terrified of his driving and wide awake, we could see both cars trying to brake and almost ready for the head on collision. We held onto the passenger seats (we were not wearing seat belts too) but to no avail. Baaam! My shoulder almost dislocated, wifey hit her legs on the driver seat and driver hit the steering. For the next 5 mins we were in shock.

Nobody said anything except wailing in Pain.

Driver checked upon us and then got out, it was raining heavily and all we could see was the commotion.

I got out and saw two young people from Alto bleeding from the head and talking to driver. The damage was heavy on both sides. The Alto was gone for good. Innova was also looking pretty bad.

Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_202112.jpg
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_205225.jpg
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_205228.jpg
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200103_205343.jpg

Apparently they were high on some kind of Drug and were going to Rangpo (My Guess).
Soon enough few people came in including some tourism officer and diffused the situation. I double-checked Wifey’s condition and she was good apart from the jerk she had on her neck and legs.

After almost an hour of heated debate and police complaints, our driver was allowed to leave as he was in the correct lane.

Driver tried to start the innova, which obliged in one go, amazingly no major part was damaged and car was in running condition. Alto had to be towed away and was going nowhere. I was happy with Sikkim police politeness with Tourists.

After this we were worried about reaching Siliguri as the distance was still much to go. Driver called in for back up from Siliguri and around midway we were shifted in a Dzire and ferried away while Driver and his car owner looked at the damages.

We arrived at our pre-booked accommodation for the night and asked if we could get some food as we got into accident.
The hotel guy tried to get some food but to no avail it was around 11:30 PM and almost all hotels were closed.
We gave in to our fate and ate few cookies we carried from Café Oasis, we were very tired with today’s journey and slept as soon as we hit the bed.

The next morning Journey from Siliguri-Bagdogra Airport to Ahmadabad was uneventful. Wait! We were travelling to Pune right? yes we had a layover of 7 hrs at Ahmadabad.

We have never been to Ahmadabad and didn’t even know what to do. We were famished and craving for food so we searched for few good restaurant serving good Gujrati food. We stumbled upon Gwalbhog which was near the Airport.
We took an autorickshaw to the location and enjoyed the food to the core. I am a die hard Non veggie however the food at gwalbhog was exceptionally tasty and sumptuous.
Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey-img_20200104_130212__01.jpg
After the Lunch we went to shopping in nearby mall. Once done with all of this time pass activities we went to Airport and waited for our flight back to Pune which was again uneventful.

In the end, I am grateful to all the people from Team BHP and blog posts who put lots of information about Sikkim and made this travel easy for us. Sikkim is still uncharted in my mind and it will be off the list only when I drive Brute to this heavenly place.

Adios Amigos till the time we meet again.

Last edited by ShivrajG : 19th June 2020 at 16:23.
ShivrajG is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 07:11   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 16:42   #12
BHPian

Re: Vibrant Pune to Enchanting Sikkim! The Fascinating Journey

That's a short and crisp travelogue Shivraj! I'm also thinking of driving to the north east till tawang once this pandemic is over. Flights would save time, but hey I'm more of a road-tripper and I feel uncomfortable in a flight.

Samba, is really helpful and too good, he had helped us navigate through interior Bengal at night and would call up constantly to check if I'm on the right path.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks