Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 20:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Ladakh and its Frozen Lake

A great travelogue and beautiful pictures too! Thanks for the experience.
Laxman9192 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amazing write-up with excellent photographs.Thanks for Sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

PS: It could be more apt if the title mentioned Chadar trek since it would pop up in searches.
+1.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing experience you have jotted down there Shyam. Nice narration and stunning snaps. I got a bit confused in between (probably due to my lack of pace in imagination, or maybe I slept through my Geography class ). For, at one moment you were mentioning about Pangong; and the next you were already at the trek point. I was wondering as to how you jumped all the way in a jiffy. The thread has a lot of information and funny notes that keeps the reader gripped. Wonderful effort mate. Rated the well deserved five stars.

Footnote request: -
Could you append some kind of itinerary? With number of days of travel involved within Leh, for to and fro. Some pointers to be kept in mind also welcome. It would be a great help for wanna be Chadar trekkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
PS: It could be more apt if the title mentioned Chadar trek since it would pop up in searches.
+ 1.
My thoughts too.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 20th May 2020 at 15:32. Reason: Quoted Thermodynamics.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 18:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman9192 View Post
A great travelogue and beautiful pictures too! Thanks for the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Amazing write-up with excellent photographs.Thanks for Sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Amazing experience you have jotted down there Shyam. Nice narration and stunning snaps.
Thank you! I try

Quote:
I got a bit confused in between (probably due to my lack of pace in imagination, or maybe I slept through my Geography class ). For, at one moment you were mentioning about Pangong; and the next you were already at the trek point. I was wondering as to how you jumped all the way in a jiffy.
No doubt it is due to my faulty narration.
Let me try to straighten it out:
-We reached Leh,
-next day left for Pangong, returned the same day,
-had one more day's rest at Leh,
-next day proceeded towards the trek starting point.

Quote:
The thread has a lot of information and funny notes that keeps the reader gripped. Wonderful effort mate. Rated the well deserved five stars.
That is very kind of you dear sir!

Quote:
Could you append some kind of itinerary? With number of days of travel involved within Leh, for to and fro. Some pointers to be kept in mind also welcome. It would be a great help for wanna be Chadar trekkers.
I wanted to keep this one experiential and hence, did not include details on itinerary.
But I shall certainly do so now!

As for change in the title, I don't know if that's to be done by me or the support team. Help

Last edited by shyamg28 : 20th May 2020 at 18:08.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 19:53   #20
BHPian

These are my personal opinions based on the experience I had. The more you know the better

Here's a link to Himalaya Destinations, one of the companies that runs this trek: http://www.himalayadestination.com/t...zen-river-trek
  • Carry cash with you. ATMs are refilled rarely and network is unreliable at best.
  • No alcohol to be consumed prior or during. If you must, read up and take well informed decisions.
  • Prepare in advance - physically and mentally. Running and yoga can help. The effort you put before the trek, will maximize the enjoyment during the trek.
  • Make sure your gear is as comfortable as possible.
  • Drink loads of water. Tip from trek guide - if your pee is yellow, your body isn't acclimatizing well. It needs to be clear.
  • The trek is physically not very challenging on the muscles as the incline isn't steep at all, but the altitude and weather can literally kill. So ensure you have good breath control and decent physical fitness.
  • Avoid using heater within the hotel.
  • As soon as you reach, however excited you maybe, just calm down and rest. AMS may not immediately hit you but the symptoms can creep in much later. So consciously make the effort to relax and breathe.
  • Warmees can be effective.You can buy them online or get them there at a slightly higher cost. If you must get them, then ensure you get 2 for hands and 2 for feet, thereby amounting to 4 per day per person. I used them one night and then didn't bother after that but they can be helpful.
  • Network, one can't be sure - google at that time, or be in touch with your leader to understand the situation at that time.
  • Carry Diamox with you. Having diamox one day before arrival and on the day of arrival is advisable but best to read up on this and talk to trek leader + your doc.
  • Ending of Jan can get tricky since the ice can start to melt. Best time is probably starting of Jan. Again, this is subject to change so better discuss with your trek leaders well in advance.
  • Walking on ice using gum boots, takes some getting used to. On most parts it is very skiddy and you literally have to glide your feet instead of the usual way of walking.
  • The ice is hard and can certainly cause fractures. There is a way to fall down and if you do, you need to ensure the body doesn't tense up (easier said than done, but hey, practice makes perfect). There is a 99% chance of you falling on ice. So enjoy that too.
  • The cook, guide and helpers are literally your saviors there. Treat 'em nice. A tip helps them too. This is the small window over the year where they get to make some money (I maybe wrong but still, no harm in parting with a few bucks).

I feel certain that I may have missed something but if you have anything specific, then shoot!

Basics of the trek:

Name:  Basics.png
Views: 187
Size:  41.0 KB

Rough itinerary:

Name:  Annotation 20200520 193205.png
Views: 193
Size:  29.5 KB

Last edited by shyamg28 : 20th May 2020 at 19:57.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 21:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
These are my personal opinions based on the experience I had. The more you know the better
Thank you very much for these pointers. Very very helpful indeed. And motivating too.

Is there an age limit to the people taking part? Kids are allowed?
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 22:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Is there an age limit to the people taking part? Kids are allowed?
I don't know the official age limit, if there is one.
Google tells me a 3 year old and a 10 year old have done it.

It also gives me hope, when a fellow trekker, all of 62 years young, managed it with relative ease
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed