Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 17:11   #16
BHPian

Re: A Short American Train Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thank you for the interesting travelogue.

A very interesting train design which could have worked wonders in India. As you can see, there is no platform, so to say. The train sits low, and the doors seem to have stairs the way buses have? In comparison, our platforms are so high!!
The type of Passengers and their mentality differs. When super fantastic trains were started in India, considering the fare, it can be assumed that only rich class would travel. Yet, fittings like Faucets were stolen. Wonder who managed to steal and how - even Carpet was not spared.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 18th May 2020 at 17:30.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Really? I thought (/ was told) Chicago had that honor. Or maybe they were talking about from a passenger travel routes/trains perspective and not tracks in general.
Well, maybe Chicago does too. But Kansas City was really a central hub for the settlers who came from the east coast and started going west.

Many trail went to Kansas City and from Kansas City various trails went west. Kansas City was the last “civilised” post before you headed into the (Kansas) prairies. So when they started building the railroads, a lot of those tracks followed the initial “wild west trails”. which makes sense, because along those trails a lot of settlements appeared and of course the trails also went through reasonable accessible land. If you can get a wagon train through, at least it is sort of reasonable

My guess is that Chicago gained in importance (and railroad tracks) a bit later in history. Of course, they became a true industrial hub! But that was really after the “west was already won!”

Jeroen
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 04:35   #18

The class you travelled in Amtrak Business class. It has 2 + 1 seating arrangement. The amtrak coach class has 2+2 seating arrangement. The Amtrak cascade is heavily utilized between Seattle and Portland but crowd thins out beyond Portland.
subramak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 06:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
You can rant for the life time about the sub standard Indian train system, but the memories that it offers surpasses all its downsides.
It maybe sub standard compared to railways of the Developed World but works quite well us. I would go to the extent of saying that we are much improved today compared to where we were 3 decades ago. Our trains are cleaner, faster, much improved and safer rolling stock. There has been a significant reduction in rail related accidents too. We have also made huge strides in improving our locomotive fleet. Off course, some things remains a huge problem such as food and toilets on our trains, as you say. I feel a lot of it has to do with the way we use and abuse the rest rooms on our trains.

I don't believe the United States Government put in enough effort to get people to use trains. With a network so large, it should be the ideal way to travel but most people just drive or ride a Greyhound if they don't have their own transport. There has also been very limited investment towards high speed rail. It is important to have fast connections between cities. There are some but not enough. Rail roads in the USA seem to exist for the sole purpose of carrying freight.

Like yourself, I took up a short rail trip just for the experience of travelling by rail. This was a short run from the town of Williams, Arizona to the Grand Canyon. This was retired rolling stock. What amazed me the most about US Rail Roads is their rolling stock. They operate on a narrower gauge but their rolling stock, especially locomotives are massive and have so much variety. If I do make it to the States again, I want to do a cross country trip on a Zephyr, Southwest Chief or something similar. It will be an experience and I recommend everyone who has the time and interest to do one of these long journeys by rail. It takes you back in time, gives you the opportunity to just relax and disconnect from everything else.

Thanks for sharing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 06:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

The railways charm and its related emotion will never cease to exists. Its timeless

Some times even I wonder what does not click for railways in US. Because its very low on utilisation, with roads making most of it. Agreed LONG distance across states are still better done by flights. But still there is a lot which can be gained by a rail network. Europe that way far higher on utilisation. Also they are well integrated across the rail road companies between countries. Works seamlessly! And stations are more livelier and a place where time can be well spent.

I tried the Amtrak in California some years back. It was nice and short.

The line goes along the coastline. I had some time to kill before train arrival time. Witnessed this beautiful sunset
A Short American Train Journey-dsc01060_hdr_lr_lr.jpg

An evening shot of the charming but a deserted station
A Short American Train Journey-camerazoom20161028185252580_lr_lr.jpg

A customary shot of the train (taken while returning)
A Short American Train Journey-camerazoom20161030121739539_hdr_lr_lr.jpg
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 09:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread. I had planned to take the train from NY to Philly during my last visit but had to cancel due to various reasons. But I did spend sometime at NY Grand Central and it was something to remember
A Short American Train Journey-img_20200216_134734.jpg
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very interesting train design which could have worked wonders in India. As you can see, there is no platform, so to say. The train sits low, and the doors seem to have stairs the way buses have? In comparison, our platforms are so high!!
Good observation. Walking through the platform is very convenient and never felt any uneasiness. Having said, they provide a small stool to step in to the coach. Those may not be feasible in our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramak View Post
The class you travelled in Amtrak Business class. It has 2 + 1 seating arrangement
Oh really? I had taken an economy ticket (because it being part of official trip). Did not realize I was upgraded. After all the train runs almost empty so they'd rather get all the business class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't believe the United States Government put in enough effort to get people to use trains. Rail roads in the USA seem to exist for the sole purpose of carrying freight.
True that. The freight trains are given priority. Passenger trains are considered merely as a holiday pleasure trip that sometimes lasts days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The line goes along the coastline. I had some time to kill before train arrival time. Witnessed this beautiful sunset
That's indeed beautiful.
Old 19th May 2020, 16:31   #23
BHPian

Nice crisp & beautiful travelogue, Balenoed!! Didn't you click some pictures of sleeper class coaches? Just was curious to see how is the seating arrangement? Do they also have middle seat just like we have in 3 AC & sleeper class? I suppose they might be having only 2 seats on one side.

Quote:

I humbly disagree with you on this aspect. Our platforms sit high only on major stations. You will be able to recollect that when train passes through small stations then the platforms are at lower level just as US. Our train's stairs are also till bottom albeit little vertical which might not be user friendly.

Why our platforms sit high at major stations is due to design parameters. Design considerations are different for different locations. For major stations, first most design requirement is fast & efficient passenger flow with safety, security & maximum passenger convenience. Platforms are designed for peak hourly & daily passenger flow. If we design platforms at lower level then it will take more time to board & deboard the trains which will increase peak passenger volume and will be relatively less safe compared with higher level platforms.

Villages platform do not have much passenger volume, so they are designed at a lower level to economize the cost.
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 17:32   #24
BHPian

I traveled on a Double Decker Coach. Seating arrangement was 2 x 2 with well reclining chairs. Overnight travel was quite comfortable.
Old 20th May 2020, 17:45   #25
BHPian

Interesting and engaging read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

The interiors are top notch and luxurious and even the economy class resembles our Rajadhani or Shatabdi classes. Pretty clean, spic and plan. I would even consider these are on par with the Maharaja classes of Indian Railways. And like said, this is the cheapest class in the train.
I had taken the Rail Runner services in Albuquerque in 2007. It was brand new back then though the seats or interiors were not as great as the ones shared in your pics.
Old 21st May 2020, 08:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the interesting travelogue.

If you observe closely, all our trains have a ladder at the door reaching ground level. We are lucky we have higher platforms so that we walk into the train rather than climb into one. For a climbing experience, you may travel on the Konkan railway, most of the smaller stations are at ground level and one needs to use the ladder to board and reboard.
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A customary shot of the train (taken while returning)
Attachment 2007545
A shot taken while admiring the AMTRAK beauty on Wheels

A Short American Train Journey-dsc_0159.2.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 22nd June 2020 at 17:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks