Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 17:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more

Combination of a Bolero 4wd and such destinations is like heaven! Going through all of your previous logs (1/2 I have already been through) is in my bucket list . Looking forward to see some more less-frequented destinations in your present log. Rated 5 stars.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 18:24   #17
BHPian

Beautiful pics and write up, nothing against Kerala, however God's own country for me is the North East states and this travelogue reiterates the same. Wildlife, Culture, Natural beauty and friendly people makes it a paradise which each one of us should experience in person.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:42   #18
BHPian

Awesome compilation of natural places you have visited around Guwahati.

Seeing the pic of that small baby elephant walking behind the ranger, a question came to my mind. Is there an elephant orphanage centre at Pakke Tiger Reserve?
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav V View Post
Hello Gunin,
A big thank you for coming up with this thread. Some of the pictures just look like those screen savers that we get in windows. I instantly fell in love with these two places,
Chandubi Lake and Umrangso Lake. If not for your thread, wouldn't have gotten to know them.
This thread is really handy for exploring least visited places and staying away from the crowd.
Let this thread be similar to what D-Bhpain Samba has created where bhpians can share photos and details of unexplored places that are off the tourist radar, from their visit .
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-tourists.html (West Bengal - A treasure for tourists)

I request Bhpians from Assam to keep this thread active so that we get to see mouthwatering pictures and plan a trip.
Wish to see more suggestions

Cheers,
Abhinav.
Thank you Abhinav for the kind words. I think its a great idea to make this thread a common platform for sharing information about more places in Assam. I will definitely try to keep updating the thread with the same and also welcome fellow members to contribute as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Aahh. You seem to have lighten my mood by sharing wonderful pictures of yours. I could not make it to many places nearing Guwahati despite the fact that i am from Guwahati itself. Left Guwahati in 2015 for Higher education and now job. However i look forward to exploring the places mentioned in your post. I will be glad to be a part of T-BHP guwahati meet up as well. Off topic: If you are in for a great road trip Guwahati - Siliguri- Darjeeling calls for a great route. Do check it out.
Thank you LONG_TOURER! I missed visiting Darjeeling a couple of years back when we drove to Sandakphu. It is a very good drive indeed. I think I will club Darjeeling with my Sikkim trip (whenever conditions permit) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Combination of a Bolero 4wd and such destinations is like heaven! Going through all of your previous logs (1/2 I have already been through) is in my bucket list . Looking forward to see some more less-frequented destinations in your present log. Rated 5 stars.
Thanks a lot Kandisa! The Bolero is not very good at commuting duties but I have found it to be the best companion on trips to the rugged interior places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Beautiful pics and write up, nothing against Kerala, however God's own country for me is the North East states and this travelogue reiterates the same. Wildlife, Culture, Natural beauty and friendly people makes it a paradise which each one of us should experience in person.
Thank you Chillout. North East is indeed like an unexplored paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Awesome compilation of natural places you have visited around Guwahati.

Seeing the pic of that small baby elephant walking behind the ranger, a question came to my mind. Is there an elephant orphanage centre at Pakke Tiger Reserve?
Thank you rst89. That baby elephant is an orphan but I don't think there is any orphanage centre there.
gunin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow!
Was discussing with my wifey, to see what's it like to travel in the North-East - and just like that, there pop up your beautiful pictures. Loved the straight from the heart description!
If you have more pics, keep them coming
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Wow!
Was discussing with my wifey, to see what's it like to travel in the North-East - and just like that, there pop up your beautiful pictures. Loved the straight from the heart description!
If you have more pics, keep them coming
Thank you JoshMachine! You should definitely plan a trip to here. I will try to keep this thread updated .
gunin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 21:35   #22
BHPian

North East is a place very close to my heart. Have been to Guwahati on several occasions. With avid travellers like you in that region, it's always bliss going through the treads. Thoroughly enjoyed the writeup. Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful threads.

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-psx_20171217_095038.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 5th March 2021 at 21:40.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
North East is a place very close to my heart. Have been to Guwahati on several occasions. With avid travellers like you in that region, it's always bliss going through the treads. Thoroughly enjoyed the writeup. Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful threads.

Attachment 2128961
Thank you ARAY! I will try to keep posting more updates. Maybe we can have a small meet up the next time you are in the region .
gunin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 12:04   #24
BHPian

With my current posting at Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh I have tried to visit as many places in Upper Assam over the last two years. These places are ones people generally drive through without stopping but I have found out each place has a beauty and charm of its own.

A) Maguri Motapung Beel, Tinsukia, Assam

This wetland is located near the Dibru-Saikhowa National Park in Tinsukia district, Assam. It was in news last year due to OIL oil well blowout in the nearby Baghjan Village which had polluted the lake as well. It is home to great number of domestic and migratory birds and it was good to see returning to normalcy when we visited a few months ago. One can hire a country boat to explore the birder’s paradise. Leaving you with some pictures:

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0088.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0093.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0106.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0118.jpg

Flights of fancy at Maguri Beel

B) Jonai, District Dhemaji, Assam

Jonai is the border town in Assam which is the closest to Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. It is mostly ignored by tourists as more alluring destinations like Pasighat, Roing, Mechuka etc. loom on the road ahead. However, I love this place as the small town at the front gives way to the beautiful rural backyard. Sharing a few pictures:

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0004.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_1536_1.jpg

Paddy fields of Jonai

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0008.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0012.jpg

Bolero 4wd for those rough roads

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0024.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_1605.jpg

When it rains and causes floods, people go and fish

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0031.jpg

Sunsets unlike I have ever seen

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0184.jpg

Mighty Brahmaputra flows close by

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_1603.jpg

Run free!

C) Bogibeel Bridge, Dibrugarh, Assam

The bridge is best experienced from the side roads which give a beautiful view. It is a very nice hangout place for locals of both Dibrugarh and Dhemaji.

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_1593.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_1597.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0122.jpg

D) Dimow, District Dhemaji, Assam

Dimow is another beautiful place in Dhemaji District of Assam. We generally go for small family picnics there. Sharing some pictures:
Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0068.jpg

Winter sun and a place to hangout

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_0078.jpg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-dsc_02112.jpg

Dimow, Dhemaji, Assam

Thanks for reading. I will update the thread as and when I explore new places.
gunin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 12:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful thread gunin, it’s always lovely to see a post depicting the beautiful places of the North-East. Your latest post reminded me of my memories of Pasighat. Not many people have heard of Jonai/ Murkongselek but I always found the interiors of the place wonderful. Have been thinking of visiting Pasighat to meet some old friends but this pandemic kind of delayed things somewhat. Let’s see when that happens, meanwhile, will keep a eye on this thread for the wonderful pictures and some little known places. The sunsets are magical in the North East. Here’s adding some sunset pictures from Jonai enroute Basar some years back.

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-be03869a75e74a60bdcccf0e4404a530.jpeg

Getaways from Guwahati | Lakes, Tiger Reserve, Trek, Water Falls & more-3e5c0163be62424d9ef984d9df43e9f7.jpeg

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 16th July 2021 at 12:39.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 14:28   #26
BHPian

Beautiful pictures Gunin.
NorthEast has always been on my to do list and hope to do it one day.
I appreciate your inputs on following queries:
1. Is it feasible to rent a 4x4 and drive around ? Are those available on rent easily?
2. As somone not so familiar with local routes etc. , do you think it is recommended ?
Regards,
OffroadFun
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Wonderful thread gunin, it’s always lovely to see a post depicting the beautiful places of the North-East. Your latest post reminded me of my memories of Pasighat. Not many people have heard of Jonai/ Murkongselek but I always found the interiors of the place wonderful. Have been thinking of visiting Pasighat to meet some old friends but this pandemic kind of delayed things somewhat. Let’s see when that happens, meanwhile, will keep a eye on this thread for the wonderful pictures and some little known places. The sunsets are magical in the North East. Here’s adding some sunset pictures from Jonai enroute Basar some years back.

Attachment 2179900

Attachment 2179901
Thanks a lot ABHI. You are right about the lesser known places of Jonai and nearby areas. The air has a certain purity here which makes these places very beautiful. I am looking forward to your visit to Pasighat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Beautiful pictures Gunin.
NorthEast has always been on my to do list and hope to do it one day.
I appreciate your inputs on following queries:
1. Is it feasible to rent a 4x4 and drive around ? Are those available on rent easily?
2. As somone not so familiar with local routes etc. , do you think it is recommended ?
Regards,
OffroadFun
Thank you for the kind words. Regarding your queries:

1. Some rental agencies have 4wds like Thar and V- Cross here. You can take the car from Guwahati and then move ahead.

2. I will definitely recommend you to explore as much of the place you can. There are many travelogues and other online information from travellers which will help you in chalking out a plan. Personally too I will be happy to guide you in any way if you decide to come here.
gunin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:39   #28
BHPian

Some awesome pictures there Gunin! Especially one on the Bamboo walkway. and also of your son (a picture shows you helping him walk and the latest one were he is running .. time flies).

NE is on my bucket list to drive to. Will consult you and other team BHP friends to help chalk out the plan.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 10:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Some awesome pictures there Gunin! Especially one on the Bamboo walkway. and also of your son (a picture shows you helping him walk and the latest one were he is running .. time flies).

NE is on my bucket list to drive to. Will consult you and other team BHP friends to help chalk out the plan.
Thank you Kiran. Your comment about my son and how time flies brought a smile to my space . I will be happy to guide you when you decide come here.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:51   #30
BHPian

Is Guwahati - Kaziranga do able in a single day if we start early from Guwahati?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks