Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2007, 03:18   #1
BHPian

8456 kms South India roundtrip

Dear all,

Starting from Delhi on 17th December 2006, I covered a total distance of 8456 kms winding through eastern and western ghats of south india. I came back to Delhi on 30th January 2007 completeing a 6 weeks tour in my Maruti Gypsy all alone.

3rd service being due in Bangalore (I only changed oil and filter -courtesy Rudra) but otherwise never opened the bonnet except to occasionally fill windshield water. Tyre pressure check only once in Delhi. Went through all the terrain all the way. No issues...

From 18th February to 23rd February I went to Corbett National Park and am now back at home in Zurich.

I have just finished updating my website and you can have a look at the slides on:

MainMenu

Both these trips have been done with full GPS loggings and I never once consulted or asked anybody for directions on the entire trip. As usual, you will find all the GPS tracks on my website.

Further, all slides are Geo-coded, so those of you having Google Earth can download kmz files from my website and open in Google Earth to get the exact positions of the slides.

I will now start to prepare for Ladakh this season.
Happy viewing and let me know incase of any questions.
Old 19th March 2007, 07:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajay, that would be one amazing drive. Good to know there were no surprises.

I can only open the homepage in the link you have provided. None of the links there open.
Old 19th March 2007, 10:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajay, that's a fantastic trip. It would have been ideal if atleast one more person would be along.

But, I guess a lot of people just love travelling all alone. Kudos for it !!!
Old 19th March 2007, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ajay ,

Simply Stunning trip and pictures, and that too alone. Thanks a ton for sharing.
Old 19th March 2007, 11:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I can only open the homepage in the link you have provided. None of the links there open.
That's strange. I can open all the links from here. Have you tried clicking the Travelogue or Photo Gallery. Let me know...
Old 19th March 2007, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures , Specially like the Cocunut trees inline slanting towards the river . Cool one !
Old 19th March 2007, 18:41   #7
BHPian

Here is an addtion to my thread for non-GPS interested people.

Even if you do not own a GPS, you can go to my Website page 'GPS and Google files' and download tracklog in 'gpx' format as well as kmz file in 'kmz' format. Start Google earth and open both these files. Check the settings in PLACES and tick the box 'path'. Now you should be able to see the actual GPS track in Google. You should also be able to see all the photo locations of the entire trip.
Zoom into Google to a level of 800 meters to see all pic icons.

Let me know if you have any issues.
Old 19th March 2007, 20:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajay, I viewed the google files and its just wonderful. However, i am not able to view the pics at 800M altitude? Is the pic icon a green triangle?
Old 19th March 2007, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ajay, I viewed the google files and its just wonderful. However, i am not able to view the pics at 800M altitude? Is the pic icon a green triangle?
You need to load both gpx (for tracks) as well as kmz (for photo positions) files in Google Earth. Then goto PLACES and expand the tree for kmz file and tick waypoint check-box. I do not know what are settings on your PC for these Icons. Mybe try other check-boxes on expanded tree. On my Notebook, I see them as small green Camera lens and if you click on them, they should open-up with a small size photo shot at that position.

Let me know if you are successful...
Old 20th March 2007, 01:39   #10
BANNED

Hi Ajay, So you done it again ... Hats of to you , and that too in the Gypsy . Amazing pics ... !!

When do you get back to Delhi next ??

Cheers
Old 20th March 2007, 01:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Hi Ajay, So you done it again ... Hats of to you , and that too in the Gypsy . Amazing pics ... !!

When do you get back to Delhi next ??

Cheers
Will be back in Delhi on 19th June. Planning Ladakh again starting 5th July but this time intend covering full Ladakh region incl. Zanskar, Lahaul and Spiti etc. Am just studing maps and terrain etc. Fully prepared...! Just shot a mail to Rudra.
Tried to contact u when in India but no luck. Where r u !!
Old 20th March 2007, 02:05   #12
BANNED

Hi, Im very much in Delhi ... must have been in Goa when u tried calling !! I switch of my phone when there .. my annual two week vacation ;-) .

Do stay in touch .

Cheers
Old 20th March 2007, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay ,great log.Was wondering how helpful did u find the gps ? Cheers .
Old 20th March 2007, 11:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Ajay ,great log.Was wondering how helpful did u find the gps ? Cheers .
I disregarded all road signs throughtout this trip by default and tuned myself to full GPS driving. It could have been hinterland of China or Russia for that matter (non-existant roadsigns or foreign language of roadsigns and/or people). Only on few occasions I read road signs. Otherwise, I only drove with GPS in front of me. It's like blind faith in your instrument and your interpretation of what it wants to say. Call it driving by instrument.
On two occasions (both my mistakes) I misread GPS indications and made 54 extra kms (in 8456 kms). In Tsunami hit area between Rameshwaram and Tuticorin and in the forests of Periyar/Munnar as well as Dandeli, I would have lost ways many times but for the GPS.
But it's a lot of work and preparations as good roadmaps on India are non-existant and I was making my own routes. It's important to understand that I was driving alone and had nobody to consult or discuss the rights and the wrongs of a decision.
Hope this gives you an idea of how effective GPS can be...! Cheers !
Old 20th March 2007, 12:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Narayan View Post
I disregarded all road signs throughtout this trip by default and tuned myself to full GPS driving. It could have been hinterland of China or Russia for that matter (non-existant roadsigns or foreign language of roadsigns and/or people). Only on few occasions I read road signs. Otherwise, I only drove with GPS in front of me. It's like blind faith in your instrument and your interpretation of what it wants to say. Call it driving by instrument.
On two occasions (both my mistakes) I misread GPS indications and made 54 extra kms (in 8456 kms). In Tsunami hit area between Rameshwaram and Tuticorin and in the forests of Periyar/Munnar as well as Dandeli, I would have lost ways many times but for the GPS.
But it's a lot of work and preparations as good roadmaps on India are non-existant and I was making my own routes. It's important to understand that I was driving alone and had nobody to consult or discuss the rights and the wrongs of a decision.
Hope this gives you an idea of how effective GPS can be...! Cheers !
Thanks Ajay , seems like the only good thing to do ..I had driven down to Nagpur sometime back (bangalore - hyd - nagpur ) about 1150 km at a stretch and got misguided by boards and loads of ppl ih Hyd so wasted about 4 hrs ..this reinforces my faith in investing in a gps unit.Any particular one which you could recommend and approx price would be great.

Most Viewed