Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 15:47   #91

Re: An unexpected and surprising visit to Pakistan

Hyderabad ORR is excellent, and most vehicles do stick to their lane. No toll slow downs except on the exit and entry ramps. Even that is becoming easier with dedicated FastTag lanes.

Another highway with no slowdowns for tolls is the the Outer Beltway of Raleigh, North Carolina ("540") It has high speed cameras that take photographs of the license plates of vehicles. The car owners get a bill based on distance traveled. Cars equipped with QuickPass get a discounted rate. There's no slowing down either on the highway, or at the entry/exit ramps.

Nice travelogue to Pakistan!
RedShiftEuropa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Not that we did not go out for some better meals.
Impressive thread Np23. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have keen interest in Pre Partition History and have read some literature about the undivided Panjab. I was posted in Amritsar for two years and seeing your pics one can make out how similar are the two iconic trading towns of Lahore and Amritsar.

Food street culture, slang, spoken language, juttis we share a lot in common. Off topic, I must recommend to all members a Play by Mumbai based ANK Theatre Group titled "Jis Lahore Ni Vekhya O Jamya Nahi" (English Translation - “One who has not seen Lahore has not been born”). Doubt if its still relevant today.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th August 2020 at 18:29. Reason: Quote fixed.
amsidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 20:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamera13 View Post
Most Pakistanis can't afford to pay toll, that's the reason they don't have toll booths.

What's up with all the giant flags behind so many cars, they're completely obstructing the rear view. Is this video around their independence day?
I would guess that that is indeed the case. It is around their independence day.
Old 6th August 2020, 13:27   #94
BHPian

WOW this is great to see. I have plenty of colleagues in my office from Pakistan and some of them shares me their village pictures and it's really beautiful.

The roads and some of the infrastructures shown in your pics are amazing and is beyond my expectation.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:11   #95
BHPian

Nice and interesting travelogue. I was always curious to see how that country, roads and mainly the traffic sense looks like. Thanks to you for sharing the detailed yet simple and short travel report.
Old 9th August 2020, 23:51   #96

M2 between Lahore and Islamabad is fantastic and drivers maintain lane driving. Traveled up and down 6 times. Karachi traffic is like Bombay and Islamabad is like Lutyen's Delhi except that people drive mostly disciplined. They have a timer system for salt range on M2, where any commercial vehicle traveling at a lesser time is penalised. Keeps the road safe. And I didn't see bikes driving in wrong way on M2.
dr_rdey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:01   #97
BHPian

Thanks so much for the TL - nice & refreshingly different... and also the additional write-ins from some other members. I'm sure there are so many of us who haven't experienced our neighbour first-hand, pre-Independence stories are all we've grown up with.

Maybe some day during our lifetime things get sorted out and we are able to visit like we visit other countries. Mountain drives I'm sure would be amazing. As a few of us said, there's something to learn from everyone - traffic etiquettes for sure is something we Indians can pick up. Have been to Sri Lanka, and it's pretty much the same.
SouravS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:09   #98
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is a thread I stumbled upon today. And I am indeed pleasantly surprised and happy that the discipline and road conditions you have outlined and shown, are so good in Lahore and other places. Definitely your allusion is correct, the pictures make one instantly recall Dubai. Yes of course we should be honest and sporting enough to accept and appreciate what is good in others, irrespective of who they are and all. Most certainly there is much to learn!
I wish you could also share and post some pictures of the Lahore Gymkhana if you have some (assuming that the Lahore Gymkhana is a Colonial Club and it has a nice sprawling Colonial building like the Delhi Gymkhana Club has.) After all both the countries have such a lot in common. Ties that go very deep, one might say.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks