Team-BHP > Travelogues

Old 16th September 2020, 00:42   #1
BHPian

Default Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle

To begin penning down this 4000+km journey I wanted to share a quick background on Aura(home minister) & me. It has been a year and a half that we are married and have known each other for 13 years. I am a junkie with all things driving and riding whereas A cannot even ride a bicycle. Sigh! We got our first car (Ford Freestyle TDCi Tit+) early this year and many a trip were planned throughout 2020 with Goldberg. (Yes, I name all my vehicles, my KTM Duke 250 is called Rocket)

I always wanted to drive/ride down to Kolkata & COVID provided the opportunity as we had some urgent/unavoidable work in Kolkata. Flights were not an option for us as we needed a vehicle at our hometown & we wanted to avoid public transportation at all costs. The date of travel was decided as 21st August.

Onwards Journey:

Pre-work before the actual travel included the below:
  • Enquiring about passes needed at the states we would be entering: All the government sites were confusing and adding more trouble than giving solutions, so we started watching YouTube videos where people shared their journey details. It got cleared that Andhra & Orissa did not need any pass for transit travelers. We called up Nabanna (West Bengal Govt Home Secretariat’s office) and they said unless it’s a lockdown day no passes or quarantine was needed.
  • Planning the route/Understanding the roads: Google maps and Youtubers again came to rescue as we got to know patches of roads that were under construction.
  • Shopping before the actual trip: We wanted minimal outside contact so decided to carry everything we might need to stop by the road for.
  • Multiple bottles of Hand Sanitizers, Surface disinfectant spray, pee safe, pee buddy, face shields, masks & back up masks, wet wipes, tissue papers & roll.
  • Medicines: Our daily meds plus basics like O2, ENO, Paracetamol, Pain Relief cream etc.
  • 12 1litre Mineral water bottles, tetra pack coffee, Red Bull, additional 2 2ltr bottles of water for miscellaneous use.
  • Dry snacks such as Cuppa Noodles, Nut Brittle, biscuits, chips, waffles & bhujia.
  • Puncture Repair Kit, 12v Mobile Charger(android auto acts weird when 2 AA enabled phones are plugged into the USB slots)
  • Prepping the car: Checked the car if it had any problem and saw that the wipers had to be changed so got new ones. Refilled the wiper washer fluid reservoir & got the entire car cleaned.
  • Food carried: We packed our first day breakfast & lunch so that we do not have to eat outside. Took a flask & cups as well if we had to stop for tea somewhere. Breakfast was bread & butter sandwich & for lunch it was Alu Paratha.
  • Hotel Booking: We had decided we will stay at reputed hotels, so we would be sure that sanitization was done properly. We chose Marriot Vizag & HHI Bhubaneshwar. The bookings were done on the day of the trips as the rates were cheapest at that time.
  • Loading things in: We packed our bags and other stuff that we needed to carry for our family 2 days before so that we had an idea if things would fit or not (Goldberg has a small boot). To sum it up we had used all the available space inside the car to its maximum capacity.
  • Changing My Biological Clock: I started waking up early(4ish) 3 days in advance to get myself sleepy early the night before.

As usual I did not get proper sleep the night before the trip. I was contemplating to start the trip early as laying on the bed was just a waste of time. But then A was deep into sleep so chucked the idea and waited for the alarm.

Name:  Route Map Onward Journey.png
Views: 8541
Size:  586.8 KB
Route Map.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-0.jpeg
Goldberg Loaded to full capacity. :|

Day 1:

Destination: Vizag

We had decided to start at 4 am on 21st, woke up at 3 am. Took a shower. Had some tea & bread so that we did not leave home on an empty stomach. Started at 3:56 am for the epic trip.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-1.jpeg
Starting ODO.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-2.jpeg
Selfie for the keeps.

We reached Andhra Pradesh Nangali border check post at 5:23 am. The police were stopping everyone to check for entry passes. On informing we were transit travelers they just took down our car number and wrote in a piece of paper, signed it & handed it over.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-3.jpeg
AP Transit Pass for us. :|

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-4.jpeg
Beutiful Sunrise. This is the highlight of every early morning road trip.

Roads were smooth and bump-free till Chittoor. Post that we had to slow down as there was road widening work going on till Tirupati. We stopped at 7:30 am for breakfast & loo break. Started again at 8 am, 65 km post the breakfast stop was state highway which was single lane and there was way too much truck traffic.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-5.jpeg
Road widening work near Tirupati.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-6.jpeg
Beautiful Landscapes throughout.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-7.jpeg
Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-8.jpeg
We used our own cups to have Chai bought from the shop where we stopped for a loo break and got a quite corner to have breakfast.

We merged onto NH 16(Chennai Kolkata Highway) around 9:15 am. Despite White topping going on NH 16, the drive was smooth. The view was mesmerizing with greenery all around. Stopped around noon again at the reliance petrol pump for fuel & loo break. Very clean washrooms. Throughout the trip, we used the washrooms at petrol pumps and were in usable condition. Although A sprayed the hell out of the pee safe can they were clean as per her.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-9.jpeg
Showstopper 1.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-10.jpeg
Showstopper 2! :P

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-11.jpeg
Quality Roads till Vijaywada.

One thing I’d like to point out is that people are reckless/careless with their driving. The fact that it’s a National Highway and cars would be on a high speed doesn’t matter to them. Random people kept popping up to cross the roads!

Guntur is well developed with swanky buildings being made. We crossed Vijayawada around 2:45 pm. Post Vijayawada the roads became terrible to drive on, NH 16 had huge craters so one has to be extra cautious while driving this stretch. Stopped for lunch around 3:30 pm at a coffee shop called Beans Café & Bakery. Had our packed lunch & ordered a coffee & Iced tea for takeaway just to be nice to the café owner and get access to their washroom.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-12.jpeg
Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-13.jpeg
Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-13_.jpeg
The cafe seemed nice, but we still had our packed lunch.

Started again around 4:05 pm and faced terrible roads near Prathipadu/Nidavolu. Maps guided us into a town to lessen around 30 km. It was a nightmare to cross the roads there. Since it was a day before Ganesh Chaturthi, roads were choked with people shopping. It didn’t feel we were in a midst of a pandemic! Godavari river had a flood alert, but we saw people had driven down there to take selfies with the river. :|

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-14.jpeg
Pandemic, what's that?

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-15.jpeg
Overflowing canals coming out of Godavari!

We had booked a room at Fairfield Marriott Vizag and since hospitality business has been hit, we were told restaurants are being kept open till 9:30 pm so we ordered some light dinner beforehand. Rains started around 6:30 pm & we were 184 km away from Vizag. Post lunch we did not stop anywhere and entered the hotel at 9:45 pm. Post all the formalities we checked in to our room, after a hot shower & dinner we dozed off.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-16.jpeg
Rain and darkness slowed us down.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-17.jpeg
Reached Vizag. Finally. :D

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-19.jpeg
Tripmeter at the end of day 1. Broke my previous best of 900+kms on Rocket from BLR to PNQ back in 2017

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-18.jpeg
Heaven.

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 17th September 2020 at 00:19. Reason: Refining the write-up
bigDaddy_In is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 01:16   #2
BHPian

Default re: Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle

Day 2:

Destination: Bhubaneshwar

We woke up around 6:30 am and were greeted with a rain-soaked Vizag city with cloudy skies. Since occupancy was low at the hotel, breakfast was being made to order. After a heavy & filling breakfast, we got paneer paratha packed for lunch. I gave Goldberg a much-needed clean up after the 17+ hours’ drive through the dust and heavy rains the previous day.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-20.jpeg
I have OCD. :|

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-19_.jpeg
Empty Hotel. The HVAC was turned off in the morning due to negligible occupancy.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-19__.jpeg
Breakfast was good!

West Bengal was on an orange alert, so we did not risk travelling throughout to reach Kolkata on the 2nd day. We started from the hotel at 9:20 am. A has hardly travelled in her childhood. So before leaving Vizag, I wanted her to see the beautiful RK beach. We drove by the beautiful beachside promenade and refueled Goldberg at HP COCO. We were again onto NH16 by 10 am. The roads & the views were mesmerizing to say the least. A declared that post-pandemic we will be visiting Vizag for a holiday. We booked a room in HHI BBSR via goibibo.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-21.jpeg
Beautiful RK Beach.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-22.jpeg
Exiting Vizag.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-23.jpeg
Smooth Roads. Helped us munch miles fast.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-24.jpeg
The Eastern Ghats in all its glory.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-20200822_12192702.jpeg
Team BHP Store: Now you know why I was following up so much for the delivery of this tee. :D

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-24_.jpeg
I like to keep things subtle.

Despite road widening work going on, the service roads were in good condition to carry good speeds through. Truck traffic was thankfully less, and we zoomed past paddy fields on both side of the roads. We entered Orissa at 1:44 pm. We were again stopped at the check post where the police took our name, mobile numbers, car details, to & from address. Since we were stopped there, we used that chance to use it for a loo break. We stopped near a point from where you can see the Chilka Lake for our lunch. Being Bengalis, we have a big sweet tooth so had some waffles as well.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-26.jpeg
Parathas packed from the hotel.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-27.jpeg
Dessert.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-28.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-29.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-30.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-30_.jpeg
Quite a spot, right?

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-25.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-30__.jpeg
Roads of Orissa were okay. Tyres made a lot of noise on these roads.

We were not aware of the fact that Orissa had a weekend lockdown. Because of that roads were empty as well. We were stopped near the Hotel at Janpath road because of the lockdown as its being implemented very strictly. Upon telling them we were transit travelers we were allowed to pass. Entered Hotel Hindustan International at 5 pm. The hotel looked desolated. The room we were given at first had air conditioning problem, which the person at the reception was not aware of. Upon informing the same we were then given another room. The fact that maintenance is not being done was quite evident from the rooms and corridors. The food felt overly priced, so we made use of the cuppa noodles and had them for dinner.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-day-2-trip.jpeg
Tripmeter after day 2.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-31.jpeg
Room for the night.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-32.jpeg
A bit of Netflix and Chill before calling it a day!

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 16th September 2020 at 11:17.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 01:50   #3
BHPian

Default re: Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle

Day 3:

Destination: Calcutta, amar sohor!

Woke up by 5:30 am as we wanted to start for Kolkata early, but breakfast service started around 7:30 am is what we were told. I went down twice to ask them to speed up the process if possible. Who knew toasted bread & butter with omelets would be hard to gulp down? The security guard thanked me for booking a stay with them. He said staff strength has been reduced drastically to 10% & they were called on the days the hotel had occupancy! They got paid 40% of their single day’s wage for the days they worked. Was sad to see how the hospitality business has suffered so much that it has come down to this.

I refueled Goldberg from a nearby bunk before we checked out from the hotel. Started from the hotel at 8 am. We entered West Bengal around noon. The police out there did not even stop us to check any details.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-32_.jpeg
Reliance had the best washrooms. A big thank you, they make road trips with ladies easy.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-33.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-34.jpeg
Kash phool signifies the onset of Autumn and that Durga Pujo is around the corner.

The stretch from Kharagpur to Kolkata was one of the best stretches we covered in the entire trip, zero road noise from stock tyres at triple digit speeds. :D. We stopped at Kolaghat Food Express Plaza for a loo break. The weather was hot and humid. Was perfect to celebrate our & Goldberg’s homecoming.

The last toll at Jala Dhulagori had huge traffic. Took us 15 minutes to cross (Isn’t there a rule which allows cars to pass by without paying toll in case of such traffic jams at toll plazas?).

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-toll-traffic.jpeg
Stuck in the middle with you.

I had a fancy to enter Kolkata via Howrah bridge(Howrah bridge that connects Calcutta with Howrah and its famous train terminal was always a gateway to explore the unseen for me throughout my life there) so we took a detour and reached home by that route at 3:30 pm.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-35.jpeg
The Crown

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-36.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-37.jpeg
Ah! Everything that is Calcutta!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-38.jpeg
HOME!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-39.jpeg
Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-40.jpeg
Final Stats!

Name:  Toll BLR CCU.png
Views: 6785
Size:  56.3 KB
Toll Details from the first leg.

My energy levels were off different levels, so upon reaching home & unloading all the luggage I took my nephew out for a spin & went to pick my sister from her workplace(yes she works on Sundays too due to the lockdowns on weekdays!) in Sector V. Ended the day with an authentic Bengali spread.

Times spent in Kolkata:

We had no plans to stay back in Kolkata for a long period as most people have been doing. So, started with the work we had to get done. The weather was unbearable to say the least. A always used to make fun of me when I would visit Kolkata & complain about the weather. Well, guess who was the whiner this time around?

We have a lot of relatives so to appease everyone we went around driving to their places but the condition we had put in place was we would meet them from their gates and not enter anyone’s house. No one knows who is asymptomatic so why take the risk. Met them with a proper distance & with masks on!

My parents & nephew were couped up inside the house from the start of the lockdown. So, to break the monotony we decided an overnight trip to Shantiniketan which is 160 km from Kolkata. I will not go into the details in this travelogue, but I will attach my nephew’s write up about his experience. Please read his blog(attached as a pdf) and share comments as he will be encouraged to pick up this good habit! :)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trip to Shantiniketan with family.pdf (3.38 MB, 332 views)

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th September 2020 at 08:18. Reason: Rule #11
bigDaddy_In is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 23:27   #4
BHPian

Returning to the Base:

A good thing that happened before we started our journey back was the fact that the Karnataka Government removed home quarantine & E-Pass requirement. Like the beginning of the trip, we did some pre-work before the trip, albeit lesser than the first leg.
  • Getting Goldberg Serviced: Two days before our return trip, I got the 10k service done for Goldberg at Ganges Ford, Kolkata. I had clocked around 8800+ km by then. The experience was not that great.
  • We changed our route plan as we wanted to avoid State Highways near Tirupati. The plan was Vizag-Hyderabad-Bangalore.
  • Ordering the essentials: We got everything from Big Basket as the local shops were ALWAYS crowded.
  • Red bulls, tetra pack coffee of Nescafe & gums.
  • Refilled the water bottles that were emptied in the first leg of the trip.
  • Carried back the unused Cup noodles & nut brittles.
  • A ensured the car went the same way it came, fully packed. So she ordered a lot of Bengali household items which is not readily available now in Bangalore.
  • Same breakfast of bread & butter sandwich was packed. Mom made some Chicken Parathas for the first-day lunch.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-route-map.png
Route Map.

Day 1:

Destination: Vizag

We started on the 10th of September. Left home at 3:58 am & took the Kona Expressway. Vidyasagar Setu toll had no fastag, accepts only cash. The sky was completely covered with clouds so missed seeing the sunrise this time. Stopped around 6:20 am for breakfast after merging onto NH 16 near Kharagpur.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-1.jpeg
Starting ODO.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-2.jpeg
Leaving behind Kolkata with a heavy heart and glassy eyes.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-3.jpeg
Long day ahead.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-4.jpg
Breakfast Stop.

Entered Orissa at 7 am. The toll plaza was in very bad shape. The RFID readers did not work so the staff had to manually scan all the vehicles! This time around both of us were quite sleepy. Despite chewing on gums, stopping for a tea break & watering our faces we were not feeling fresh. Must have been the weather & the sadness of leaving family behind that made us feel this way.

Our next stop was at 11:35 for refueling & loo break after crossing Bhubaneswar. The IOCL washroom was the cleanest & best that A encountered. She even took pictures of it. Encountered slight rain & heavy traffic throughout Orissa as it was a weekday.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-5.jpeg
Crossing BBSR.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-6.jpeg
Kash-phool everywhere. Pujo Asche. :)

We entered Andhra Pradesh around 2:15 pm & the rains followed us there. Stopped at a Bharat Petrol pump for lunch & loo break.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-7.jpeg
Heavy rains as we entered AP.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-10.jpeg
Chicken Parathas were a hit.

Many toll plazas had long queues so that ate up a lot of time. The beautiful view on either side of the road made up for it.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-8.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-9.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-11.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-12.jpeg
Beautiful AP.

We entered Vizag quite early than the ETA. Reached Fairfield Marriott at 7 pm. Our room was upgraded to a suite with a city view. Had a relaxing hot shower & an early dinner.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-13.jpeg
Tripmeter after Day 1.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-14.jpeg
Room for the night.

Day 2:

Destination: Hyderabad

Woke up around 6 and went down for breakfast by 7 am. A good sign that the business is picking up was the fact that they had a breakfast spread laid out instead of made to order. Got Aloo Paratha packed for the day’s lunch & started from the hotel at 8:40 am.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-15.jpeg
Mornign tea with a view. :)

Post refueling from the HP COCO we started for Hyderabad. We were greeted with sunny weather, beautiful view & smooth roads.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-16.jpeg
The landscape forced me to pull over.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-17.jpeg
These coffee packs will be a must for long trips from now on.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-18.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-19.jpeg
No caption needed.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-19_.jpeg
Goldberg hit 10k somewhere between Vizag and Rajahmundry. Many more miles to go BOY.

Roads near Rajahmundry were horrible, to say the least. Google again routed us to the State Highway. We had lunch around 1:30 pm by the irrigation canal coming from the Godavari. Entered Vijayawada at 3:30 pm. Zipped passed the city & hopped on to NH 65!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-20.jpg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-21.jpeg
Lunch by the river/canal.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-22.jpeg
This flyover once completed will connect NH16 and NH65. Will save at least 30mins of travel time.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-23.jpeg
Hyderabad, here we come!

Patches of NH65 were under construction but the way they have maintained the service roads are a class apart. We reached GMR Vijayawada Hyderabad Expressway around 5:23 pm & from then on it was the best stretch I covered in this trip. What an expressway! A’s favorite till now! The fact that private players change the game altogether was evident from the moment we started on this road. Automated tolls working the way it is supposed to sans any human interaction.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-24.jpeg
Entering Expressway

Before entering Hyderabad, we got to experience the Nehru Outer Ring Road. It was amazing! Was thinking about the stark contrast of the Bangalore ORR! I sorely missed cruise control on Goldberg, that would have made Goldberg a complete highway package!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-25.jpeg
NORR is fantastic!

Entered Gachibowli at 8:38 pm & reached Fairfield Marriott at 8:45 pm. This was a long 12 hours of drive. We were super tired. After a hot shower & dinner, we slept off. The hotel surprised us with a complimentary dessert, so we ended the night on a sweet note.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-26.jpeg
Tripmeter after day 2

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-27.jpeg
Room for the night

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-28.jpeg
Midnight Cheesecake. :D

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 17th September 2020 at 00:12.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 00:05   #5
BHPian

Day 3:

Destination: Bengaluru!

Final day! Homecoming of sorts. Woke up early & checked out from the hotel at 7:58 am as we had planned to drive by Charminar before leaving the city.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-29.jpeg
Good Morning HYD.

Got Aloo paratha packed for lunch again! A swore she would stay away from parathas for a long time to come! Charminar had no charm whatsoever, maybe because one identifies that place with constant hustle & bustle which was missing due to the obvious reason.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-30.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-31.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-32.jpeg
Some pictures with the Icon. Notice how Goldberg looks small with me and big with A.

We exited Hyderabad at 10 am and merged on to NH 44. Stopped for some tea & loo break at an empty dhaba. We used our own disposable cups for the tea. The roads were pretty good, and we munched miles fast.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-33.jpeg
Crossing Krishna River.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-34.jpeg
Beautiful Roads.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-36.jpeg
All smiles for tea and loo break.

We stopped for lunch after crossing Kothagota in AP in front of Hyderabad Chefs outlet. Was super excited to that we would reach home soon!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-37.jpeg
No more Parathas till COVID vaccine!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-38.jpeg
Toofani drink for the toofani trip. :D

The weather had become beautiful with drizzles in between although it looked like it was going to rain a lot as entire Karnataka was on high flood alert. If you have read till now, you have understood we passed by a lot of alerts but thankfully did not have to face any!

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-40.jpeg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-41.jpeg
Clouds everywhere

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-42.jpeg
KIA factory is huge. And they were road testing Sonets(top speed test maybe).

Entered Karnataka at 3:45 pm. Had to cross just 2 tolls to enter Bangalore! Since we stay in North Bangalore, we reached our home at 5:08 pm! What an epic experience this was for both of us.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-44.jpeg
Home Sweet Home.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-45.jpeg
We might get a Truck if A continues to pack like this.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-stats.jpeg
Stats from the return leg.

Name:  Toll Expense.PNG
Views: 5870
Size:  48.8 KB
Toll Details from the return leg

Expenses:
  • Hotel+Food: INR 17155.3/-
  • Essentials Shopping: INR 4432/-
  • Car Serive: INR 2552/-
  • Fuel: INR 20538.32/- (This includes the fuel used in CCU)
  • Toll: INR 4793/-

My energy levels were not down after driving 2143 km over 3 days, that I went out to meet my closest friend for some tea. Raving to plan the next one post vaccines are out as I have promised my nephew either a Spiti or a Rajasthan road trip.

Here is to many more such trips & travelogues. Hope you find this useful.

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 17th September 2020 at 00:23.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 03:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 10:39   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle

Epic journey bigDaddy_in, I am amazed how you covered 1000 km in a single day in the Andhra-Karnataka stretch. Probably that is youth power . A big thumbs up and keep travelling.

I made a Vizag trip (Journey to Simhachalam & Visakhapatnam in an Innova Crysta) in laid back mode of two days each way back in this January. Sharing two memories, one of them being the place of your halt for meals which coming to Kolkata, near Chilka, note Rambha is very near from it.

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-img_6005.jpg

Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle-img_5872.jpg

The toll booth where the RFID was not working must be Lakshannath Toll Plaza if I am able to make a correct guess, they always have that problem.

Your thread is very informative too, the prevalence of transit exception is a big plus. I have two questions, one being on your return trip you entered Odisha around 7am but reached Bhubaneswar only around 11-30am, is the delay due to only breaks? I do take power sleep breaks on my longer travels by road.

Final question, can we have the recipe of the Chicken Paratha please?

Last edited by haisaikat : 17th September 2020 at 10:40.
haisaikat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:53   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Driving across the Eastern Ghats to be with family : Bangalore to Kolkata in a Ford Freestyle

Your nephew's travelogue clearly trumped yours by a million light years. I could feel the child-like excitement and it kind of pulled me to my childhood road travels. Ask him to keep writing. He's definitely a TeamBHPian in making.

Even I have some work in Ahmedabad pending due to Corona and I've been mustering up all the courage to make a dash, but the indisciplined industry that I work for keeps quicksanding my intent.

All that said, I think you had a very reliable steed in Goldberg and 'A' wonderful maiden to accompany you for this trip. Brilliant pictures. Succinct detailing. A 5star travelogue for me. Wishing you and your family hundreds of such escapades in years to come.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Awesome travelogue Bigdaddy. This is exactly what I was looking for. We are planning to drive down to Bhubaneswar next month for Puja. The team includes my wife, daughter and a dog. Thus, a three day drive looks doable. I was initially worried about the bio breaks. However, after reading this thread, I can confidently take the ladies along! This is immensely helpful. Thanks you
Chinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:22   #10
BHPian

Wonderfully written bigDaddy_In! Loving how you have mentioned every single detail from Food to hotels to even the police checks. Oh, how I miss Kolkata now (all thanks to you!). Might ask dad to head back in our car during Durga Puja now.
Loved your writing style and all the brillant pictures that you've included in the travelogue.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:46   #11
BHPian

Great post, 5 stars!! Good to know that at least some hotels are maintaining proper hygiene. We can use them in emergency. Thank you.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:13   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Lovely travelogue with awesome pics! Must have been a tremendously fun drive!
Brought back lot of fond memories from my drive from Pune to the North Eastern states (To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their cousin (To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their cousin))

Some quick questions
  1. Do they still have those barricades on the highway, especially the Vijaywada-Kolkata patch?
  2. Are all toll nakas FASTag compliant?
  3. How did you short list the hotels, considering the virus? I suspect people can manage food (home packed or takeways) but over night stay is one major hurdle which is keeping us from hitting the roads again.
RedTerrano is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:30   #13

Thank you. That was a crisp travelogue. Enjoyed the roadtrip vicariously

I must mention though the action in and around Charminar begins in the late afternoon and continues until late night. So usually, its not busy in the early hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post

Day 3:

Charminar had no charm whatsoever, maybe because one identifies that place with constant hustle & bustle which was missing due to the obvious reason.
mak.prasada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:12   #14

What a great writeup. Felt i was travelling along with you. I will be doing an approx 7500 round trip from Guwahati- Bangalore- Old Magazine House(Ganesgudi in Karnataka)-Bangalore-Guwahati trip starting this 21st. Hope to share my trip experiences with fellow BHPians. I believe that monsoons are one of the best times to go roadtripping. The lush greenary makes a lot of difference. Cheers to the life on the road.

The T-shirt is a head turner. How i wish i would have thought of the same!!. Team-BHP surely makes a difference.
Liverpool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Very nicely written travelogue, inspired me to do one for my upcoming Chennai, Theni, Rameshwaram trip next week. Though at 750 kms 1 way it is a fraction of what you covered but still.

One thing am amazed at in these epic journeys is, how do you guys start at 0400 and then drive till 2000-2200 hrs with only bio and stretch breaks?

If I start by 0700, I feel sleepy post lunch around 1300 (and take 30 min power nap) and then drive max till about 1800 hrs. So maximum 12 hr trip of which 10 hours is the driving time.

I love driving, am very fit (Rama's grace) but I can't even imagine driving from 0400-2000 hrs in a single day.

Not just op but others who do this, do you take a few naps on the way, aside from your food / bio breaks? How do you keep your attention 100% focussed?
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed