Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest

Total Distance Travelled[: 160kms up & down.

Time Taken: 7.5 hrs.

Road Condition: Excellent.

Vehicle: Ford Freestyle Titanium 1.5 TDCi.

Route: Gannavaram – Prakasam Barrage – Gollapudi – Lanco Circle – Kondapalli village – Lanco Circle – VGA – HYD NH – Kondapalli forest ghat – Kondapalli fort – HYD – VGA NH – Mulapadu village – Mulapadu Butterfly Park.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200830_114726.jpg
It was the 28th day of August. More than 6 months locked in our homes. Yes, the lockdown has been lifted. But the virus is till there.

Three visits to my hometown, Rajahmahendravaram / Dowaleswaram and Ramachandrapuram but the itch to explore a place and drive to a beautiful forest where I and my Ford always love spending time was still there.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200809_20050402.jpeg
I was at Vijayawada, the city my father is currently working as a DGM at AAI. Never been to any nearby place but always heard about the place Kondapalli. Though visiting my all-time favorite Maredumilli forest, Pamuleru Vagu the 3rd time was my initial plan, couldn’t convince my parents since we were planning to Hyderabad very soon.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20190823_14022202.jpeg
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-img_420401.jpeg
So, What next? Just a quick check on the route from VGA-Kondapalli opening Google Maps and checking the best viewpoint using Google Earth.

The next day, it was 29th of August.
Gannavaram – Kondapalli village – Kondapalli fort via Kondapalli forest.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-ss-gnvrm-kndpl.jpg

We had a delicious lunch at home in Gannavaram, checked my newly fitted Hella Comet 500 and a gentle press on the push start button depressing the clutch, my Ford 1.5 TDCi roared to life.
It took us 2hrs to reach Kondapalli village which is 45kms away from my house at Gannavaram. It was 3.07PM and we quickly stopped at Kondapalli toys store to gift a nice Kondapalli toy to our family doc and did a quick shopping for our newly renovated house at Hyderabad.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200830_114059.jpg
While my parents were busy shopping at the store, I had a quick look inside the store, wondered at the beauty of our native Telugu artisans work and then it was time for me to have a look at the Gmaps for further planning.

A short drive to the other side of the hill, we in no time entered Kondapalli Forest ghat. What a feeling! Driving on the ghats after almost a year. Maredumilli being the last.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-ss-kndpl-toys-fort.jpg
It’s a 6.9km drive through the forest ghat road and it took us almost 20mins to reach to the Fort after a good drive on the extremely narrow and scenic ghat road. The road condition was excellent. Doordarshan TV towers situated at the top of the hill is a major advantage and the only reason for the best road condition.

We spent a good 1.5hrs time at Kondapalli forest. While my parents were busy exploring the fort,
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_211959.jpg
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_212321.jpg
I was double busy exploring the forest and clicking some beautiful pictures of my mile muncher Ford
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_212954-copy.jpg
and enjoying the views
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_212728.jpg
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_212531-copy.jpg
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_210633-copy.jpg
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_210900-copy.jpg
sipping a chilled sprite in the hot afternoon.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_211740-copy.jpg
It was 5.15 in the evening, it’s getting dark and we were already getting late to catch-up for our last leg of journey, drive through the Mulapadu forest road in the return leg to home. We hopped into our car after sipping hot tea and at a small shop near the fort feeling sad looking at the beauty being littered by some people.

Kondapalli fort - Mulapadu forest – Gannavaram via Mulapadu forest road.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-kndpl-fort-mlpdu.jpg

(ONE NEEDS TO TAKE THE MULAPADU-GADDAMANUGU ROAD TO VISIT BUTTERFLY PARK AND FOREST WHICH IS NOT SHOWN IN GOOGLE MAPS)

We started at 5.45 Pm at Kondapalli fort, a good downhill drive covering the entire 6.9kms but this time in 30mins avoiding all the idiotic bikers ricing on rice bikes and Activas, we reached the VGA-HYD NH with a small scratch on the rear right door caused by an old man speeding in his Dzire without even honking on a curve. “Be gentle on my curves” must be followed everywhere!
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-20200829_172807.jpg
We reached Mulapadu village and the time was already 6.15PM,
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200830_115252.jpg
seeing no chance of driving through the Mulapadu forest road to Gannavaram which was the original plan since it was already dark and the road was full of truck traffic, I settled for a few pictures near the Mulapadu Butterfly Park arch
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_202900-copy.jpg
and Mulapadu forest entry, bought some beautiful plants in the nearby nursery, bid goodbye to the beautiful place looking at the forest road entry
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_203326.jpg
planning in my mind to execute the incomplete final leg of journey all alone, we drove back to Gannavaram. I know the story is incomplete unfortunately. But hopefully I’ll be back really soon with a part 2. Until then,
Drive Safe, Stay Safe.
Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest-psx_20200829_215721.jpg
SK01 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Exploring the unexplored - Kondapalli Forest, Fort & Mulapadu Forest

Nice pics there. Nothing like a short trip for a break from the daily grind.

How are the Comets? And any issues with cops for that?
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:40   #3
BHPian

Wow, those are amazing pics. I love the watermark for the names of places. I did that route way back in 2013. I drove from Hyd - Bhadrachalam - Maredumilli - Paderu and back. I missed the Butterfly park. Google was not that great then, we had trouble with some routes and the roads were in pathetic condition. Brings back memories after seeing your thread. Happy driving.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
How are the Comets? And any issues with cops for that?
Sorry for the delayed response. The comets are excellent!! They are perfect for my highway high-speed runs. Nothing like the Hellas. No issues with cops till now, touchwood.
SK01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Wow, those are amazing pics. I love the watermark for the names of places. I did that route way back in 2013. I drove from Hyd - Bhadrachalam - Maredumilli - Paderu and back. I missed the Butterfly park. Google was not that great then, we had trouble with some routes and the roads were in pathetic condition. Brings back memories after seeing your thread. Happy driving.
Paderu and Maredumilli are some of the extremely beautiful and underrated places. I really hope they remain underrated with fewer idiots visiting the place, littering and commercializing.

Thanks for the good words!
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Beautiful thread SK01. The pictures are great and the narrative well written, short and crisp. You ought to write more often.
Bravo !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Beautiful thread SK01. The pictures are great and the narrative well written, short and crisp. You ought to write more often.
Bravo !
Thanks buddy! Tadoba Andhari Tiger reserve travelogue is pending. The pictures will be an eye feast.
SK01 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed