Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid

This year, globally Covid changed the way people lived and brought “the new normal life”– especially in India, family gatherings, festivals, functions, social get-togethers being highly restricted, creating problems and pushing some into depression as well.

We badly wanted an outing with the close and “safe” friends😊. We knew all tourist spots were getting filled with people amid increasing number of Covid cases at Bengaluru. My friends at Chikkamagalur told Bengaluru registered vehicles are flooding during weekends just like pre-Covid times, same with places like Nandi hills, Shivanasamudra and others near Bengaluru.

We didn’t want to go to crowded places, in fact wanted to avoid tourist places but wanted to meet somewhere slightly away from Bengaluru at a secure place, within 50 kms or 1-2 hours drive. Finally we found a friend’s farm near Magadi, planned the drive on Oct 3rd since it was a long weekend. Kids and adults were super excited likewise.

Following precautions / ground rules were set:
• Only and only home cooked food, with fruits, water, milk, coffee/tea and snacks
• No stop on the way to see any tourist attractions
• All should wear masks
• Sanitizers are must + as much social distancing as possible
• No plastic, no smoking and no aerated drinks
• Drive in their own cars with their ‘own’ families

Rain was the only threat we had, fortunately we didn’t face problems till we were done.

We started at 11am from Bannerghatta road in my Duster, one family joined from JP Nager in Wagon-R and we drove to RR Nagar for joining the third family. There was a little surprise there, we joined by two families in Innova. All three vehicles reached Mysore road quickly. I was under the impression that roads will be somewhat empty due to Covid, but I was wrong, oh man, it was usual traffic jam on Mysore road and all was looking well like normal. We were also contributing to it, so I can’t complaint.

Duster eagerly waiting to hit the terrain:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-1.jpg

Well made auto park near Vijaya Bank Layout RTO:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-2.0.jpeg

At the first break point:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-2.1.jpg
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-3.jpg
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-4.jpg

We took diversion towards Big Banyan Tree (Doddaalada Mara), entry to Big Banyan Tree was open and we could see big crowd inside, vendors outside selling cut cucumber, groundnut, bhel puri etc and people thronging, I won’t complain again.

We just drove further without stopping, we reached near Manchinabele dam, we could see beautiful landscape and water body from the car. Here also fairly large crowd parking the cars wherever, taking pictures, selfies, also walking across the roads with faces hidden in mobiles - probably overexcited souls posting pics on WhatsApp while walking irresponsibly.

Near Manchinabele dam:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-5.jpg

Finally we reached our destination, we opened the gates and parked our vehicles inside and closed the gates again. It was a small farm, calm and peaceful place, had enough to spend a day, a house was under construction.

The spot:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-6.jpg

Nice parking space:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-7.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-8.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-9.jpg

We opened the picnic table with a large umbrella, kept all food & other stuff there. Had good lunch with different varieties. We were meeting “in person” after a long time, so spent some time chit chatting, walked around the farm, played a bit, ate guava, kids climbed the tree. We had a very good and safe outing after a long gap.

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-11.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-12.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-10.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-13.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-14.jpg

Soon it became coffee time, we tried to lit fire to heat the milk, but rain god didn’t want that, so we had to rush to the shelter under construction, where we got proper gas stove. It was awesome sipping coffee in that shelter surrounded by greenery hit by heavy showers.

Barely we could warm it:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-15.jpg

Few parting shots:
Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-16.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-17.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-18.jpg

We returned through the rain struck traffic of Bengaluru, reached home and delighted to realize next day was Sunday for taking a good rest.

Overall it was much needed outing in such situation, re-energized to manage for few more months.

Wear seat belts and drive safe !!
hummer is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid

Hello hummer,

Nice short much-needed getaway. Glad that you could get a farmhouse and avoid all the tourist hubs and the crowds everywhere. I've been to Manchinabele a couple of times but never seen a large crowd on the road. May have been high now because the lockdown is now over and everyone wants to get out.

Love the colour on your Duster.
ChiragM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:19   #3
BHPian

Good day trip hummer. The dam approach is very scenic and all the cars seem to be shining, is it new car or new polish effect?

That same camping table that folds up into a slim suitcase is something even I have been eyeing for a long time but only holding up thinking that our picnic trips are very lesser, so far only one in post COVID times.

Seeing the ladies struggling with food warming, I can suggest one remedy, you may if not already considered look at camping stoves that also pack into a carry case type box and run on Butane mini replaceable canisters. Excellent for camping / picnics. Posting below one popular one from Coleman.

https://www.amazon.in/Coleman-Camp-B...HGT4NHX3J7TA8F

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-screenshot_20201013192553720_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-screenshot_20201013192642041_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hummer’s Travel: Outing to a farm during Covid-screenshot_20201013192721230_com.android.chrome.jpg

Keep more of these day-ventures coming. All the best and stay safe.

Last edited by haisaikat : 13th October 2020 at 19:29.
haisaikat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hello hummer,

Nice short much-needed getaway. Glad that you could get a farmhouse and avoid all the tourist hubs and the crowds everywhere. I've been to Manchinabele a couple of times but never seen a large crowd on the road. May have been high now because the lockdown is now over and everyone wants to get out.

Love the colour on your Duster.
Thank you ChiragM. It was crowded probably due to the long weekend and of course no lockdown restrictions. It feels so good going on a long drive after many months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Good day trip hummer. The dam approach is very scenic and all the cars seem to be shining, is it new car or new polish effect?

That same camping table that folds up into a slim suitcase is something even I have been eyeing for a long time but only holding up thinking that our picnic trips are very lesser, so far only one in post COVID times.

Seeing the ladies struggling with food warming, I can suggest one remedy, you may if not already considered look at camping stoves that also pack into a carry case type box and run on Butane mini replaceable canisters. Excellent for camping / picnics. Posting below one popular one from Coleman.
Thank you haisaikat, I did give a foam wash and light polish to Duster previous weekend
Camping table has been super useful for us, not only outside, we use in our balcony and backyard as well, great for 4 people to have dinner on terrace also. Thanks for the camping stove details, it makes sense now, will definitely consider if I plan more such trips.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:42   #5
BHPian

Nice trip and very prudent choice of safe destination for you & family.

Btw, next time you want a similar getaway 1-2 hours from Bangalore, if you are not aware, try Denkanikotai and surrounding areas. Other than crossing Koramangala & electronic city flyover with traffic, the roads after that are butter smooth and very little traffic. Lots of farm stays around Denkanikotai, Thali, Rayakottai, Javalagiri etc. Btw some small attractions also like Panchapali Dam and 500 year old Betrayaswamy temple etc
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:41   #6
BHPian

Superb Hummer! The Duster looks pristine.

Also, so happy to see kids without gadgets doing things we did in our childhood. Scrapping knees, dirtying our clothes, playing tag, climbing whatever was available.

Not sure if the next generation will be even able to climb up on trees
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Nice trip and very prudent choice of safe destination for you & family.

Btw, next time you want a similar getaway 1-2 hours from Bangalore, if you are not aware, try Denkanikotai and surrounding areas. Other than crossing Koramangala & electronic city flyover with traffic, the roads after that are butter smooth and very little traffic. Lots of farm stays around Denkanikotai, Thali, Rayakottai, Javalagiri etc. Btw some small attractions also like Panchapali Dam and 500 year old Betrayaswamy temple etc
Thanks Haroon. Though I am in Bangalore since many years, I never heard of these places, must be unpolluted uncommercialized destinations, I love such places. Definitely will visit when situation gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Superb Hummer! The Duster looks pristine.

Also, so happy to see kids without gadgets doing things we did in our childhood. Scrapping knees, dirtying our clothes, playing tag, climbing whatever was available.

Not sure if the next generation will be even able to climb up on trees
Thank you DevilzzzzOwn. That's the beauty of such locations, most of these kids are teens and none had time to open gadgets there. They enjoyed nature so much, they forgot all electronics till we returned home

I am from core Malnaad region and grew up playing close to the nature, feel sad for kids in metros, many don't even know such a thing exists.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed