Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 11:32   #16
BHPian

Re: A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subroto View Post
Thanks ramnath_77, superb photos, excellent write-up.

I had been drawn to Latpanchor - as its name spread far and wide as a birding paradise - in November last year. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay there as we had pre-booking at Mongpong. Moreover, we drove from Santalekhola, thereby missing the best time of morning to watch the birds. Ruefully we realised, we had to stay in Latpanchor to do bird watching. We just can't drive down - or rather up, so far as the terrain goes - there from any place and hope to be there in early morning hours.

Your post compensated that lost opportunity to some extent! Thanks again.
Thanks Subroto.I am glad you liked the images. Do plan for a couple of days of trip to Latpanchor. As long as the weather does not turn very warm, birding activity should be pretty good throughout the day (Hornbills in the morning, Trogons/Broadbills etc under the forest canopy roadside during the day and Subirds during evening). Feb/Mar seems to be the best season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Excellent bird photography, well focused with right blend of exposure and contrast. Thanks for sharing those colorful pictures with us.

You should consider uploading them in some photography website.
Thanks Deadpool for liking the images. I do post them on Facebook/Insta.
I do plan to create a personal website for this. However there is still some way to go before i have a reasonably good collection to host them on a site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonsong View Post
What a fantastic trip you had. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Thank you manonsong
ramnath_77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 12:09   #17
BHPian

Excellent pics.
Voted 5-star and it deserves it.
I am confused with this statement "Mrs. Gould's Sunbird (male). One of the most colourful birds of the region".
Why "Mrs." being used for female? Is that a typo or any specific reason behind it?
Old 28th October 2020, 18:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Excellent pics.
Voted 5-star and it deserves it.
I am confused with this statement "Mrs. Gould's Sunbird (male). One of the most colourful birds of the region".
Why "Mrs." being used for female? Is that a typo or any specific reason behind it?
Thank you coolmind for liking the images and rating the thread 5-star.
The bird was named after Elizabeth Gould, a British artist and illustrator who provided many illustrations of the ornithological work done by her husband
John Gould. Bird taxonomy and naming is quite interesting sometimes
ramnath_77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 20:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnath_77 View Post
This trip introduced me to the amazing avifauna of the North East region although i realize this is only the tip of the iceberg considering the sheer variety found in the higher altitudes of the region.
Thanks for the crisp writeup and some amazing pics. Another place and experience added to my long to do birding list
Old 14th February 2021, 20:23   #20
BHPian

Amazing pictures ramnath_77 ! I was there at Latpanchar and Rongtong during a similar time period (extended holi weekend to be exact) in search of the Rufous necked & Great Hornbills. Both of them are fantastic trails and your images speak volumes about the same. The ever elusive Trogon is a brilliant find. Thanks for sharing !
Old 19th February 2021, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for the crisp writeup and some amazing pics. Another place and experience added to my long to do birding list
Thank you procrj for liking the pics. You will never go wrong with Mahananda and Latpanchor if you are after avian friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
Amazing pictures ramnath_77 ! I was there at Latpanchar and Rongtong during a similar time period (extended holi weekend to be exact) in search of the Rufous necked & Great Hornbills. Both of them are fantastic trails and your images speak volumes about the same. The ever elusive Trogon is a brilliant find. Thanks for sharing !
Thank you turboNath. Were you able to get both the Hornbills?
Rongtong is a fantastic little spot within the Mahananda WLS region. We were plain lucky with the Trogon. Our spotting skills were put to the sternest test while looking for the Trogon. I say this because after clicking the male from inside the car, we stepped out from the other side of the car to get a closer shot when the male flew away and that's when we realized the female was a couple of branches lower and we missed seeing it from the car and she too flew away
Old 21st February 2021, 19:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnath_77 View Post
Thank you procrj for liking the pics. You will never go wrong with Mahananda and Latpanchor if you are after avian friends.

Thank you turboNath. Were you able to get both the Hornbills?
Rongtong is a fantastic little spot within the Mahananda WLS region. We were plain lucky with the Trogon. Our spotting skills were put to the sternest test while looking for the Trogon. I say this because after clicking the male from inside the car, we stepped out from the other side of the car to get a closer shot when the male flew away and that's when we realized the female was a couple of branches lower and we missed seeing it from the car and she too flew away
Hi ramnath_77, we were able to spot the female rufous necked hornbill at Latpanchar (have to go back for the male again !)
We were extremely lucky with the Great hornbill at Rongtong though. We managed to capture their courtship right from the break of dawn. Made a silhouette series dedicated to them as well ! Sharing a few from the collection -

A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar-dscn5219.jpg

A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar-dscn5280.jpg

A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar-dscn5144.jpg

A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar-dscn4943.jpg

A trip to Birder's paradise - Mahananda & Latpanchar-dscn4950.jpg
turboNath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
We were extremely lucky with the Great hornbill at Rongtong though. We managed to capture their courtship right from the break of dawn. Made a silhouette series dedicated to them as well ! Sharing a few from the collection -

Amazing captures turboNath. The silouette is simply awesome.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st May 2021, 22:44   #24
BHPian

Hi ramnath_77,

Excellent travelogue, awesome sightings, brilliant images!
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing!
ysjoy
Old 1st May 2021, 23:26   #25
BHPian

@ramnath_77 Thanks for sharing your experience. There are some beautiful set of images. Never easy to get a good shot of the Broadbill and Falconet, also the MHE was icing on the cake. Reminded me of my trip to Latpanchar, wasn't very eventful though. having a good guide really matters a lot.

I also love bird photography. Please share your Instagram handle, mine is Instagram.com/raghunst
Old 2nd May 2021, 20:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysjoy View Post
Hi ramnath_77,

Excellent travelogue, awesome sightings, brilliant images!
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing!
ysjoy
Thank you ysjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
@ramnath_77 Thanks for sharing your experience. There are some beautiful set of images. Never easy to get a good shot of the Broadbill and Falconet, also the MHE was icing on the cake. Reminded me of my trip to Latpanchar, wasn't very eventful though. having a good guide really matters a lot.

I also love bird photography. Please share your Instagram handle, mine is Instagram.com/raghunst
Thanks Raghunath. My insta handle is www.instagram.com/ram_vaidyanathan_photography
Old 11th May 2021, 15:14   #27
snr
BHPian

Such stunning photographs! The birds are equally stunning making for a fabulous read! India has amazing wildlife! Thank you for sharing
Old 23rd August 2023, 07:47   #28
BHPian

It's amazing to see so many bird species in one place! I also stayed at the same homestay with Saran as my guide. He's a nice guy with vast knowledge and a passion for birdwatching. He even helped me spot some species up close.
Old 24th August 2023, 11:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
Such stunning photographs! The birds are equally stunning making for a fabulous read! India has amazing wildlife! Thank you for sharing
Thanks snr. Glad you liked the images. India indeed has an amazing variety of flora and fauna. It is just that we need to be prepared to travel to all 4 corners of the country to witness and enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmania View Post
It's amazing to see so many bird species in one place! I also stayed at the same homestay with Saran as my guide. He's a nice guy with vast knowledge and a passion for birdwatching. He even helped me spot some species up close.
Thanks Travelmania. Saran and his parents are wonderful hosts. We had a great time at the homestay even though it was only for a couple of nights of stay.

Most Viewed