Team-BHP > Travelogues

Old 28th October 2020, 20:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-muduvalli-heritage.jpg

Went on a weekend drive to Shimoga organized by “Windows Down Motoring” last weekend. This travelogue is to share this drive experience.

TL;DR Version:

1500 kilometers of drive, awesome company, breakfast at the road side, mud splashing, swinging in a banyan tree, simple homestay, tasty food, holiges drenched in ghee, coracle ride, coffee and pakodas on the banks of a reservoir, camp fire, conversation, walk in the trails, loads and loads of car photo shoots... What more can I ask for a weekend?

Slightly longer TL;DR version:

I had joined the previous drive organized by “Windows Down Motoring”, which Dr_AD has written about in his travelogue (Chikmagalur: Driving through Coffee Country, with the windows down). I had driven solo for that drive. Loved the way the drive was organized, the roads chosen for the drive (usually a longer route with scenic roads), the simple yet beautiful accommodation, tasty food, and above all, the awesome company.

A couple of weeks back, I came to know another drive was being organized and this time it was to Shimoga for a stay at a homestay. Decided to join this time with family, and promptly confirmed my participation. The plan was to leave Bangalore early morning on 24th and back late evening on 25th.

We (I and family) started from Coimbatore late afternoon on 23rd, stayed at Lemon Tree hotel in Electronic City.

Met the gang on Tumkur road at 6:45 on the 24th and we started our drive by 7:00. After a brief stop for coffee break, we then had a nice home-made breakfast brought by Mr. and Mrs. Megazoid. After a couple of photo shoot breaks, enjoying some nice swings in a banyan tree, and a snack break, reached the homestay around 3 in the afternoon. The homestay is called "Muduvalli Heritage" and is a 100+ years old heritage house with simple yet clean rooms and awesome home made North Karnataka food.

Had a sumptuous North Karnataka lunch including tasty holiges covered with generous amount of ghee.

In the evening, we drove to a nearby backwater reservoir which involved a short drive through a trail. Enjoyed a coracle ride, coffee and pakodas, and after a photo shoot returned back to the homestay for a campfire and dinner.

On 25th morning went for a nice walk in the trails. Post breakfast and lunch started our drive back. Stopped for another photo shoot and a coffee break. Regrouped at CCD Sira for coffee and light dinner and said our good byes.

On return, I and family stayed at Southend by TGI hotel in Electronic city on the 25th night and drove back to Coimbatore on 26th .

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliation with “Windows Down Motoring”. I am just a happy participant.

Photo Credits:
I have borrowed many pictures from RSUDARSANAN, Mr. and Mrs. Megazoid, Dr_AD and Nerd1200. Thank you all for the pictures.

And now to the details and pictures…

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2020 at 09:23. Reason: Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga
graaja is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Weekend Drive to Shimoga

Assembly, Breakfast and Some Puddle Splashing

The team:

Mr. and Mrs. Megazoid (Windows Down Motoring) – Polo GTi
Mr. and Mrs. Baiju (Windows Down Motoring) – Ford Figo
RSUDARSANAN – BMW 320D
Mr. and Mrs. Dr_AD – BMW 320D
Mr. and Mrs. Nerd1200 – Skoda Yeti 4x4
Mr. Presley – VW T-Roc
Yours truly and family – BMW 330i GT

We all met somewhere on the Tumkur road at 6:45 AM. After a debriefing session by Megazoid and loading the route details in our phones, we started the drive at 7:00AM. A few pictures at the starting point.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-starting-point-1.jpg

Debriefing session in progress.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-starting-point-2.jpg

All cars except the T-Roc lined up (Presley joined us at the tea break)
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-starting-point-3.jpg

The three bimmers.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-three-bimmers.jpg

We then made a brief stop for coffee.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-tea-break.jpg

The cars lined up at the coffee break.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-tea-break-car-lineup.jpg

We left the highway near Hiriyur and drove through some beautiful roads in a convoy.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-convoy.jpg

We then took a turn onto a small clearing for breakfast. And due to overnight rains, there was a small puddle and a small stretch of slushy road.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-enter-breakfast-place.jpg

What do kids do when they see a puddle? This!!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-love-puddles-splish-splash-smart_boy-stomping-puddle.jpg
Picture taken from: https://www.kindercare.com/content-h...h-splash-smart

What do grown ups with the mental age of kids (read graaja and Nerd1200) do when they see a puddle? This!!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-yeti-puddle-splash.jpg
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-bmw-puddle-splash-2.jpg

The kids post puddle splash!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-yeti-post-puddle-splash.jpg
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-bmw-post-puddle-splash.jpg

Breakfast was home made puri-bhaji and sandwiches.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-breakfast-spread.jpg

Enjoyed the breakfast with some nice conversation.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-breakfast-1.jpg
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-breakfast-2.jpg
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-breakfast-3.jpg

The cars at the breakfast break.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-breakfast-place.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-breakfast-place-2.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2020 at 09:25.
graaja is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 03:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Photoshoots and some fun with banyan tree swings

Post breakfast, we drove through 2 lane roads, some stretches filled with potholes, some stretches smooth tarmac and winding roads through forests and lush green paddy fields. We stopped several times for photo shoots.

First one was under a banyan tree.

What do grown ups do when they see a banyan tree? They shoot nice car pictures.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-car-shoot-banyan-tree.jpg

What do grown ups with the mental age of kids (read graaja and Megazoid) do? This!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-hari-banyan-tree.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-graaja-banyan-tree.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-graaja-banyan-tree-2.jpg

Name:  GRAAJA Swinging.gif
Views: 7704
Size:  4.65 MB Name:  Megazoid Swinging.gif
Views: 7793
Size:  5.48 MB

Yours truly and Megazoid showing off our Tarzan skills! Banyan trees bring back childhood memories for me when we used to swing by their hanging roots. Lost this experience after moving to town and then city. Later during travels, even when I come across a banyan tree, did not have the strength to hang by the roots (this requires good upper body strength which was natural when we were kids). With my recent obsession with health and fitness, after losing lot of weight (94 kilos to 68 kilos) and lots of strength training, I am now able to enjoy my childhood game again. So, I never let go an opportunity these days whenever I see a Banyan tree. This was one of the important experiences in this drive, hence the part of the title.

Next photo shoot stop was inside a nice forest area.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-3.jpg

My 3GT
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-3gt.jpg

RSUDARSANAN's 320d
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-320d-rs.jpg

Dr_AD's 320D
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-320d-ad.jpg

Is it safe to cross?
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-safe-cross.jpeg

We then stopped for a refreshment break and munched on some snacks and quenched our thirst with some canned juices.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-snack-time-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-snack-time-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-snack-time-3.jpg

RSUDARSANAN contemplating his next car. Should it be an M5 or an X8?
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-rsudarsanan.jpg

We made another stop on the bridge across river Tunga.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-bridge.jpg

Due to recent rains, the river flowing wide and mighty!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-river-tunga.jpg

The perfect setting for a group photo.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-group.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2020 at 09:32.
graaja is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 05:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Homestay:

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-signboard.jpeg

We finally reached the homestay at 3:00PM. A few words on the homestay. This is a 100+ years old traditional home nested within arecanut trees converted into a homestay, with just 5 rooms. Rooms are very clean with comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. They serve some awesome north Karnataka food. The holiges spread with ample ghee... man, I would drive all the way any day just for those holiges. A perfect place for a weekend family getaway.

Cars parked in the compact parking spot.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-cars-parked.jpg

The homestay nested among areca nut trees.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-areca.jpg

A small lawn.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-lawn.jpg

The veranda looking into the trees.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-veranda.jpg

A nice place to sit and relax into a conversation.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-veranda-conversation.jpg

Clean rooms.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-room.jpg

A traditional well.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-well.jpg

An antique telephone.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-phone.jpg

RSUDARSANAN making his call to BMW to place his order. Looks like he finally made up his mind.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-rsudarsanan.jpg

The simple food. As we were all busy downing those holiges, chicken curry and gulab jamuns, none of us got the pictures. Dr_AD and Baiju saved the day with these only two pictures of the food!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-food-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-food-2.jpeg

Holiges:
When me or my wife hear the word Shimoga, the first thought that comes to our mind - Holiges (a.k.a puran polis). I spent about 7 years in Mysore. In Mysore, my very best friend's wife is from Shimoga and she used to bring Holiges from Shimoga. Unlike the thick leathery puran polis we make in Tamilnadu, the holiges from Shimoga are paper thin and would melt in the mouth. A hot holige with a generous spread of ghee is to die for. The moment I mentioned about the drive to Shimoga to my wife, her first reaction was "We need to try those holiges". And when Baiju asked if there are any special requests for food, I requested that we get to eat holiges. And man, what a tasty treat they served at the homestay!

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2020 at 08:23.
graaja is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 06:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Reservoir, Coracle ride and Camp fire

In the evening, we drove to a reservoir which was just a 3km drive from the homestay. We had to drive briefly through a small trail to reach the reservoir. We spent a few hours on the banks, enjoyed a coracle ride, did some photo shoot of the cars, and enjoyed nice moments with friends and family.

The first view.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-img_4125.jpg

A couple of pictures of the reservoir.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-reservoir-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-reservoir-2.jpg

The cars!

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-3.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-4.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-cars-5.jpg

All of us enjoyed the coracle ride.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-coracle-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-coracle-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-coracle-3.jpeg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-coracle-4.jpeg

And some nice moments - alone, with family and friends!

Megazoid, Dr_AD calls him Droneacharya!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-moments-droneacharya.jpg

Me having a nice moment with the kids.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-moments-1.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Baiju
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-moments-baiju.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Nerd1200
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-moments-nerd1200.jpg

RSUDARSANAN and Presley taking in the view.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-moments-rs-presley.jpg

After having coffee and pakodas, we drove back to the homestay for a nice campfire.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-camp-fire-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-camp-fire-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-camp-fire-3.jpg

Snacked on tasty fish fry, chicken, paneer and mushroom dishes by the campfire, had a tasty dinner and called it a day.

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2020 at 09:38.
graaja is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 07:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A Morning Stroll, a Photo Shoot, a Convoy and Goodbyes!

Sunday morning was a relaxed stroll around the homestay. There are some pretty good trails around with lots of forks. We promptly lost way and Dr_AD and Presley came to our rescue with their offline Google maps (there was no cell coverage). A few pictures from this morning stroll.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-stroll-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-stroll-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-stroll-3.jpg

The lush green grass field.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-grass-field.jpg

A view of the homestay.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-homestay-view.jpg

We also had fantastic conversation on a wide range of topics from service support of car manufacturers to fitness to sustainable living to stress management.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-stroll-conversation-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-stroll-conversation-2.jpg

Returning back from the stroll.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc00282.jpg

Post lunch, we posed for one last group picture at the home stay and started our drive back home.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-group-photo.jpg

On the way, stopped by a paddy field for one last photo shoot of the cars.

The lush green paddy field.
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-paddy-field.jpg

The cars.

The three Bimmers!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-bimmers.jpg

About 100 kilometers into the drive, while taking a tea break, we came across heavy torrential rain.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-rain.jpg

It was raining so heavy, we even were contemplating if we should make an overnight halt. But then we decided to push through. We decided to form a convoy with Nerd1200 leading the way with his Yeti to spot any water filled potholes and all of us followed. This was one of the best drive experiences I have had. Looking at that line of tail lights in those winding roads in the darkness, no words to describe the experience. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of this section. As we were driving smooth at 60kph, we saw some crazy FE numbers - RSUDARSANAN got 20+ in his 320D. Even I got 12+ on the 330i GT

Once we hit the highway we broke convoy formation and regrouped at CCD Sira for a light dinner and said our goodbyes and parted ways.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-ccd-1.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-ccd-2.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-ccd-3.jpeg

I and family stayed in a hotel called Southend by TGI in Electronic City for the night and drove back to Coimbatore on 26th morning after breakfast.

Conclusion:
1500 kilometers of drive, awesome company, breakfast at the road side, mud splashing, swinging in a banyan tree, simple homestay, tasty food, holiges drenched in ghee, coracle ride, coffee and pakodas on the banks of a reservoir, camp fire, conversation, walk in the trails, loads and loads of car photo shoots... What more can I ask for a weekend?

To close this thread, here is an awesome video compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Megazoid of this trip.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2020 at 18:08. Reason: video link added
graaja is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga

Moving out of Assembly Line, thanks for sharing - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 11:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Went on a weekend drive to Shimoga organized by “Windows Down Motoring” last weekend. This travelogue is to share this drive experience.

TL;DR Version:

Awesome write up Graaja. You have summed it all very well.

It was a great fun to join all of you guys on this drive. Totally loved every moment of it.

Graaja has covered it all very well with his nice writing and some good photos. However, I could not resist adding a few more photos from my side.

For me, the colorful convoy of the beautiful cars was as attractive as the lush green landscapes and the scenic locations. So, with that theme in mind, every single photo below is a car photo.

By the way, my title for this drive would be the "RGB drive"! The red and the blue cars, and the green backgrounds constantly reminded me of the RGB color space.

The breakfast spot:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0805.jpg

Three shades of Blue, and one White:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0819.jpg

The hot hatch carrying the hot food:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0821.jpg

My wheels - with a nice layer of mud:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0827.jpg

The Blues and the Reds on the Green background:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0841.jpg

The Red, Green in the middle and the Blue -a constant theme on this drive. Hence the RBG drive!
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0845.jpg

On the lake shore, in the evening:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0914.jpg

Two old friends ('old' refers to the friendship, not to the friends):
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0916.jpg

A majestic looking white Thar was our pilot car as well as a potential rescue vehicle should a need arise (which did not, thankfully!):
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0918.jpg

Cars on the watering hole:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0939.jpg

From another angle:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_0944.jpg

Picnic in progress. Now one would think this is a 4x4 party, but except for the Yeti, all others were on "unfamiliar territory":
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1037.jpg

But where is the Yeti, missing from the above photo? Well, it went away to lock horns with the Thar:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1021.jpg

The three BMWs on the way back:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1258.jpg

And some solo shots of the BMWs to wrap this up:
Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1265.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1268.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_1269.jpg

It was wonderful drive and wonderfully organized by the WDM team as always! And thanks to all of you guys for the fun company! Looking forward to the next drive now.
Dr.AD is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Nice writeup graaja and cool snaps too.

Pretty nice seeing the bimmer's being driven hard on the good sections and also seeing them venture out of their default turf and take on the dirt trails. Thankfully, weather did not play spoil sport atleast until we were safely on our way back when the heavens decided to open up briefly.
megazoid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Photoshoots and some fun with banyan tree swings

Yours truly and Megazoid showing off our Tarzan skills!
Usually it is Baiju who is upto these anticks during our drives
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 14:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I could not resist adding a few more photos from my side.

For me, the colorful convoy of the beautiful cars was as attractive as the lush green landscapes and the scenic locations. So, with that theme in mind, every single photo below is a car photo.

By the way, my title for this drive would be the "RGB drive"! The red and the blue cars, and the green backgrounds constantly reminded me of the RGB color space.
Awesome pictures AD! You are so right! The mix of red, white and blue in the green surroundings was indeed a sight to behold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Nice writeup graaja and cool snaps too.

Pretty nice seeing the bimmer's being driven hard on the good sections and also seeing them venture out of their default turf and take on the dirt trails. Thankfully, weather did not play spoil sport atleast until we were safely on our way back when the heavens decided to open up briefly.
Thank you megazoid, for the wonderfully organized trip. The roads were too good in that last leg of reaching the homestay.

And true. A heavy downpour like we encountered on the way back could have been a disaster in returning back from the reservoir. Thankfully that did not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Usually it is Baiju who is upto these antics during our drives
Ha ha. He had to sit this one out recovering from his shoulder injury. Have told him once he recovers, during the next drive, there will be three of us doing monkey business
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely pics and nice narration. Looks like you had a ton of fun not sure which you preferred the most though, splashing through the puddles or swinging from the trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
...I could not resist adding a few more photos from my side.
Thanks for letting me know what I missed. Amazing pictures though and I'm sure must have been loads of fun.
deepfreak15 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 00:54   #13
BHPian

Awesome pictures and writeup Graaja and AD. Rating the thread a well deserved 5 stars.

As always, megazoid and WDM family chose an amazing location, excellent roads, planned and executed the trip really really well. Kudos to them!!

Posting my update on a small but really interesting part of the trip.

The offroading adventure

During the morning walk on Day-2, we discovered some good trails, perfect obstacles for a 4x4. Post breakfast, I convinced megazoid to sneak out to test the Yeti's capabilities and my mettle to drive it off the road. Few pics of the same endeavor follows.

Special thanks to Presley and megazoid for spotting and guiding me. Without them I'd probably have had to carry my front bumper on the roof like Richard Hammond.

Part of the trail:

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3698min.jpg

Wheel articulation test

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-20201025_120644.jpg

Going down this obstacle was fairly easy. HDC was engaged which made it a walk in the park.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3641min.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3653min.jpg

Climbing up was a bit more complicated. Off-road mode was enabled along with Off-road Traction control which had dulled the throttle response and was cutting power respectively. Together it made matters worse. Moreover, you have to be very precise when Hill hold is disengaged else the car will stall - happened a few times. Few trial and errors later, turned off the electronic nannies (they're never fully turned off though) and the Yeti made the climb fairly easily with a bit of wheel spin and EDL working overtime. Was a very good learning experience for me and helped me understand the car much better. Also, thanks to megazoid for mentoring me through these obstacles.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3673min.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3677min.jpg

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3680min.jpg

Name:  Yeti_climb.gif
Views: 4815
Size:  4.10 MB

Making it through another obstacle.. a steep grassy incline.

Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga-dsc_3683min.jpg

Thereafter, megazoid took it for a spin on some dirt roads.

Name:  Rally.gif
Views: 4794
Size:  5.92 MB

Overall it was a really fun and enlightening experience. Thanks once again to Team WDM.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 30th October 2020 at 01:07.
nerd1200 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:59   #14
BHPian

What a lovely event! I'm gutted that I missed this. Would've loved to be a part of this drive and get to know you fellow BHPians while enjoying that delicious food in what looks like incredible weather. That offroad section had me weak in the knees.

Tried PMing Megazoid to know about upcoming trips but his inbox was full (understandably). Unfortunately the website has no upcoming trips listed either. Will keep checking back.

Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited by Tassem : 30th October 2020 at 22:00.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 22:15   #15
BHPian

The pictures are so eye catching and the cars look so splendid, that I couldn't stop scrolling and reached till the end.
Even now I'm grinning.
The pictures of the BMW with complementing BBS wheels splashing some mud is truly a sight.
I'm sure everyone here had so much fun in this trip. Thanks for sharing such a nice post.
ron82x3 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed