Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 17:53   #16
BHPian

Re: A drive to the Valley of the Gods : In a Mercedes GLE

sir, loved this travelogue. The pictures, the details you mentioned and specially the places you chose to stay were just amazing. You inspire me to take the wheel and hit the road.
Amarjeetphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 08:46   #17
BHPian

Take adequate care and precautions though
Old 30th January 2021, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarjeetphukan View Post
sir, loved this travelogue. The pictures, the details you mentioned and specially the places you chose to stay were just amazing. You inspire me to take the wheel and hit the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Take adequate care and precautions though
Thank you. I dont intend to stop you from your quest, but i do mean it when i say that take precautions. Part -III would be very sordid and frightening when ever i write it. It would be about my experiences in an ICU after i suffered a brain hemorrhage (stroke)on Nov 19 and had to spend 22 days in an hospital. Even today my left side is weak. Dont know whether i can drive still but am determined to do so.

ps: Mods: excuse my poor formatting and spelling. fingers are not adequately nimble yet

Last edited by earthian : 30th January 2021 at 18:07.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 18:21   #19
BHPian

That is horrible. I hope you are feeling better now sir? wishing you a speedy recovery....
Amarjeetphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 18:31   #20
BHPian

Hi earthian.
It was a pleasure to read about your journey. But the main reason for my comment is I wanted to congratulate you on your recovery and more so the zeal and never say die attitude. I hope you get well soon. Would love to read another one of your journeys brother. God bless you.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 20:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
the zeal and never say die attitude.
Thank you knrn. Sincerely plan to ......”never say die”. Jokes apart, it was a close call. Luckily my wife could contact the owner of the hospital through a common friend and after recognisingthe symptoms he kept the Neuro team ready in the ER, who took advantage of the golden hour and went for aggressive treatment which probably saved me. My son who rushed from the USA has told me in no uncertain words that I have been given a second chance and I need to take care of my health better.
I used to boast that I had no serious diseases like diabetes or blood pressure but obviously I was mistaken since if BP was not there then how come the stroke occurred?

Seriously, of the serious ailments like the big C or H, the brain hemorrhage is probably the most difficult to manage. Idea of posting this is not to deter the aspiring wanderer but to impress that take nothing for granted and doublecheck everything. And yes, please have a good health policy. It does make a difference

Quote:
Hi earthian.
Would love to read another one of your journeys brother.
Would love to write one

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2021 at 20:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged
earthian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 06:46   #22
BHPian

I myself am a doctor earthian. And indeed I know that some really good work has been done in your case. Kudos to your wife. The concept of the golden hour is so vital both for the brain and heart. I mean what should I quote, you are a living example of it.

Yup health policy is a must. By the way which one do you have. I am yet to purchase one. Thanks.
knrn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 20:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi earthian.
It was a pleasure to read about your journey. But the main reason for my comment is I wanted to congratulate you on your recovery and more so the zeal and never say die attitude. I hope you get well soon. Would love to read another one of your journeys brother. God bless you.
am slowly getting better but it is a painful journey with ups ands downs

Quote:
I myself am a doctor earthian. And indeed I know that some really good work has been done in your case. Kudos to your wife. The concept of the golden hour is so vital both for the brain and heart. I mean what should I quote, you are a living example of it.

Yup health policy is a must. By the way which one do you have. I am yet to purchase one. Thanks.
HDFC health. I got good service from the agent too but in all fairness, I had alerted the branch a manager a and no doubt she played her role too

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st February 2021 at 21:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th May 2021, 18:44   #24
BHPian

Part -III: Stroke: A bolt from the Gods.

This is the concluding part of my trip report to HP during October last year. No pictures and maybe a trifle macabre. Mods are free to remove it if found distasteful. Kindly excuse spelling and formatting errors since left fingers are not (yet) nimble enough. I am told by my physiotherapist to try and adhere to my normal schedule and yes- typing trip reports on Team-BHP would help!! So here goes.

For those who tuned in now, A drive to the Valley of the Gods: Part - I & II can be read here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...pradesh-2.html (A drive to the Valley of the Gods - Kullu and Kangra in Himachal Pradesh)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...cedes-gle.html (A drive to the Valley of the Gods : In a Mercedes GLE)

So after a great trip , we safely came back home on the 2nd of November 2020 and went about our daily routine. Things were going. Fine when on the 19th November, a bolt struck me literally from the blue.
ON the 19th morning, I had just finished my shower when I got an excruciating pain on top of my head and my legs gave way and I was wedged between the toilet seat and the bath tub. I was trying to wear my bathroom slippers and couldn’t do so. My wife, wondering why I was in the bathroom for a long time called out and I managed to tell her that it was an emergency and that she should use the master key and. Open the bathroom.
Note1: We have a master key which opens all rooms. Life saver, literally.

She did so, found me fallen and asked our daughter for help, but both together. Couldn’t. lift me.
Note 2: Keep. Weight under control. 112 kgs is bad.

The neighbours came and somehow managed to drag me to the adjoining dressing room. 108 was summoned and my wife called some friends and my ex boss. In the meanwhile, the ambulance personnel, recognizing the symptoms, explained that I had suffered a stroke and speedily took me to one of the best hospitals in Ahmedabad, at the behest of my wife. Concurrently, my ex boss, after learning the ambulance personnel’s initial diagnosis, alerted the neuro team at the hospital.
Note 3: work for good companies and good people.
Note 4: Map the available hospitals near by with proven specialization. Cardiac, neuro etc.
By this time I was unconscious and I am told that on arrival at the ER, I was speedily taken for ascan and. When the worst was confirmed, taken to the OR, after taking the necessary consents. Craniotomy was performed (half my skull was removed) and the blood cleaned. The skin flap was loosely fixed and I was shifted to the iCU.
In the meanwhile, my daughter had contacted my son in NJ, who managed to get a ticket on united leaving in 4 hours and due to the emergency, the covid protocols were also. Waived, I believe. By the time I got to the iCU, he had landed in New Delhi.

The first thing. That I noticed on awakening, was that my right hand. Was shackled to the bed and my left hand was useless. It was a frightening moment.
Note 5: patients are normally shackled to prevent them removing the Intubation and other stuff.

The nurse told me that no water would be given for 8 hours ( vomiting can take place leading to complications with intubation and all. and yes-I had a raging. Thirst. Small sips of water or moisten the lips would be allowed. God send.

One cannot speak with a parched and dry throat and intubation. But The nurses understood that water was required and proactively Told me the bad news. Managed to tell them to put a moistened gauze piece on my lips, which gave a bit of relief- for a time at least.

My wife came in and told me that all was well- under the circumstances-and that they were waiting in a room just above the ICU. My son had arrived but had quarantined himself, as per guidelines.

My stay in the ICU for 12 days was surprisingly tolerable. Most of the time, I must have been in a stupor, I guess. I had a tube down my throat, a nasogastric tube (ryles tube) for medicines and liquids, I had a catheter, I had different sensors and monitors attached to different parts of the body.

I jokingly told my son that they had violated all my orifices except one. Oops. Spoke too soon, I guess!

Note 6: Best not to make jokes such such as the above As I was soon to understand.

My intubation was removed within 24 hours and then it wasn’t so bad. My please to my son got the. Shackles removed too, after I promised that I would not mess up the tubes or try and remove them.

Physiotherapy had started immediately. I understand that the earlier you start the better. The medicines, lack of movement and lack of proper food had given arise to constipation and after non violating pills and stuff failed to work, it was enema.

As mentioned previously, the 12 days went by fairly smoothly and I did not face any particular hardship save for the small niggles and naggles. The saving grace was that only every other joint, muscle or bone were aching. The rest were fine. As is common everywhere, the lowest category in the totem pole did most of the grunt and dirty work. The higher you were, you could lord over matters and dish out orders. The lowest category were “attendants”. But it was inspiring to see that they did not complain. In fact most of them took over additional responsibilities-within limits.

A daily routine was established and I quickly became on first name terms with most of the care givers. Hospital food is hospital food and though I was allowed unrestricted “full” diet, my appetite was very poor and I wasted most of the food. I dropped 14 kgs in 22 days. Not a recommended way to lose weight though. Once a day I would get an “outing” in a wheelchair around the ward. Very welcome diversions. I would loiter near the nurses central desk and watch the happenings. Phone rights were restricted ( in fact not allowed in the ICU) and my son would give me the summary of calls and messages. Anyway my hands were quite weak and it was an effort to lift the iphone. You learn to appreciate the importance of fitness and health during these times. I spent 12 days in the ICU and then I was transferred to a private room-much more comfortable and nice. The good part about the private room is that one person of your family can stay with you ( they were suites) and occasional visitors were allowed. Not that I wanted them-particularly during these Covid days. One of my friends would come everyday at 0630 hrs with hot filter coffee-much better than the instant stuff the hospital was providing and I used to look forward to his visit.

Compared to the ICU, the private room was akin to a stay in a 5 star hotel. The care givers were assigned patients/rooms and got to know about your idiosyncrasies and requirements. Though the private. Room had a separate, private toilet and bathroom, I was not allowed visiting rights, much to my chagrin. Initially that is. After a week or so, I was allowed and my first shower (bucket and mug bath) was enjoyable. Small things. But important. Bonding with the family was possible and I spent many an enjoyable hour playing Ludo ( and always losing) with the family. Possibly I became closer to my children than ever before.

My son took pains to remind me at every opportunity that I had been given a rare second chance and I agree. I was indeed very lucky to have received timely and competent care.

I was anxious about my missing skull, but it didn’t seem to bother the doctors who said that there was no hurry for cranioplasty and we could wait a couple of months. IN fact they recommended it. My son left for the US since it was clear that no procedure would be performed in the immediate future and after 10 days in the private room i was discharged and came home. WE hired a full time male nurse.
There is no doubt. Leaving the hospital and recovering at home was a welcome change. I started recovering faster and started doing small personal chores on my own. At first, the lack of half the skull was unnerving and I worried about what would happen if I fell or banged it at the wrong place, but in time, my anxiety level diminished. Johnson, the nurse was very competent and I even started going for morning walks in safe areas. Did 3 kms in one session, though it took me more. Than an hour to complete. It.

The PT encouraged me to do small chores and play the drums, if i was inclined to. I did. And it was very frustrating. My timing was off and my dominant right hand was far stronger than the weakened left hand and hence the sound was off too. Very, very frustrating. I had developed a frozen shoulder and could not play all the drums. (roll)

This is not only going to take effort but time too. The PT is a young man, fresh out of college ( maybe 2-4 years experience) and while pushing you to try and achieve greater scope, is careful not to injure anything. Slow going, but there is progress.

During one of my routine visits to the hospital, the surgeon felt that the Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) needed to be regulated which would involve putting a “shunt” in the brain which would regulate the amount of fluid and in case of excess divert It (shunt it) to the abdomen. In order to spare me the trauma of repeated operations, he advised that we do it along with cranioplasty. My son was duly informed and arrived on the day of the operation. Two, very competent, OT nurses took me to the OT and next when i woke up i was in a bed in a line in the ICU! My head was hurting real bad and i was hallucinating too. Probably the after effect of the anaesthesia. The effect of the pain and the hallucination put me in a bad mood and i am afraid i behaved quite badly with the ICU attending doctor who explained That i would feel better in another five minutes. And it was true. The good news was that i was out of the anaesthetic effect and the bad news was that my head was hurting. My bed was wheeled to a slot and hooked up to the vitals and monitors.

A dedicated nurse was assigned and for the first time, I fully understood and appreciated the care and work they need to do to take care of ICU patients. It is a laborious job and full time. This girl must have weighed half of what I weighed or even lesser, but, it was a treat to see her bravely tackling the laborious jobs and she was smart enough to get some attendants to help whenever required.

I was supposed to stay in the ICU only for 24 hours or so, but the doctor extended it to 72 hours to be on the safe side. After 3 days I was back to my suite and in familiar surroundings- almost like coming home.

I stayed another week in the room , mostly for the surgeon to check if the shunt was working properly. A couple of adjustments were done with the remote(!) and then they proclaimed me good to go. Being in no mood to look a gift horse in the mouth, I made myself scarce asap.

Its been 45 days since the cranioplasty and shunt fixation and touch wood-everything is okay. I am scheduled for a routine visit only in July now.

Thus ended my drive to the valley of the Gods, though it would be unfair to link up this event with the drive to the valley. Thank you for bearing with me and my poor formatting and language.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th May 2021 at 13:12. Reason: Explicit language
earthian is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:36   #25
BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery Sir. Hope you get well soon and are able to drive again. Looking forward for more travelogues from you.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 14:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery Sir. Hope you get well soon and are able to drive again. Looking forward for more travelogues from you.
Thank you very much for your good wishes . Yes, I plan to start roaming once I can.
Old 14th May 2021, 23:13   #27
BHPian

The pictures are just Wow, always good to see someone from the same city doing the mountains. Keep up the traveling spirit and wish you a speedy recovery.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 12:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The pictures are just Wow, always good to see someone from the same city doing the mountains. Keep up the traveling spirit and wish you a speedy recovery.
Thank you abhikb. Though the cases have. decreased in a'bad; the risk is still high. be safe and do not venture out.
Old 28th November 2021, 12:46   #29
BHPian

Health update:

Went to the hospital a month back and was examined by both the neuro physician and the neurosurgeon. Both gave me a clean chit. Thank heavens.

Can travel, can drive, no smoking; casual, social drinking, generally don't do anything stupid.

A weel back, my daughter reminded me that i had the stroke exactly a year ago. I am more or less mended, except that my taste buds are all scre**d up. No doubt, due to the medicines.

Must thank the lord, i am able to do my daily routine without any problem. Time to start my roaming soon, i guess.
earthian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 23:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Health update:

Went to the hospital a month back and was examined by both the neuro physician and the neurosurgeon. Both gave me a clean chit. Thank heavens.

Can travel, can drive, no smoking; casual, social drinking, generally don't do anything stupid.
I am very glad to hear the good news, earthian.

I went through your entire travelogue with a smile on my face, mesmerised by both the pictures as well as your vivid narration. I was sighing ever so often in delight at the beautiful scenes and scenarios.

I read your Part III post with dread, baffled at how life could change in a single moment, with no warning.

And the smile that lasted through the first two parts was replaced by concern to read about the trauma you went through. The gaping contrast in the way you wrote Part III vs the previous parts was a good example of how bad the situation was, though that situation was the best possible outcome short of not having the stroke in the first place.

I am glad to read this post of yours confirming that you are recovered well enough to live life fully, with a few additional precautions, but continue to enjoy the small and some not so small things in life. And hopefully, take us along for the ride with your beautiful penmanship.

Your posts about building a farmhouse and choosing a less adventurous lifestyle makes more sense now. Look forward to you sprucing up a simple farm life as well.

Wishing you a complete recovery, including your chemical abused taste buds, at the earliest!
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks