Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 16:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: A mouthful of sky and the Kangchenjunga - Drive to the hills from Calcutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
No matter how many times one travels, the urge remains insatiable.
Absolutely ABHI_1512. You are churning out one after another travelogue and on the other side, for the first time in a decade, I have not been to the Himalayas. Keeping the jealousy aside, beautiful travelogue with lovely pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Of course, I do have a special relation with mount-K, as it has eluded me every time in the last two decades.
Are you serious Golam Da?
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 18:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Are you serious Golam Da?
Yes, Sumitro! The best that I have seen of mount-K is an outline and sometime I doubt whether the outline was for real or I was imagining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
If you want that special relation to end, you can very well go to the hills now and a sighting is ensured
That's a good suggestion Sayak. Unfortunately, too many things are lined up for me at the moment. In any case, my forage for mount-K would continue in the days to come.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 23:34   #18

Quote:
The sheer amount of happiness we city folks have when we get the view of the mighty Kanchenjunga is enough to run a power plant if not a nuclear one. More on that later, pictures for now.
Couldn't have agreed more with this statement! I have been staying in Siliguri for more than a month now, at my in-laws place, to escape the Delhi annual pollution season. I have made it a ritual to go to our terrace to catch a glimpse of Mount-K in the horizon and do pairi-pauna :P

We take the car out for a spin every weekend to explore the scenic viewpoints around, and there is so much raw, natural beauty within 30 mins to 1 hour drive around Siliguri that it's pretty amazing.
sidhnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Lovely narration and pictures. You're lucky to stay at a closer distance to the Himalayas. Can't believe that we can see the snow capped mountains from Islampur. Was there a lag while climbing up the kalimpong hills. Also do you mind sharing the route from Kolkata to Siliguri as I get confused at times while driving to siliguri. These pictures are tempting me to drive all the way from Bangalore
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 18:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Absolutely ABHI_1512. You are churning out one after another travelogue and on the other side, for the first time in a decade, I have not been to the Himalayas. Keeping the jealousy aside, beautiful travelogue with lovely pictures.
Your idea of Himalaya is quite different from us mere mortals! And I am mighty jealous of your idea for sure

Will be glad to join you for a drive to the Himalayas any day though. One can’t be far from the Himalayas for long, and certainly not you. Thanks for the good words BlackPearl,

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes, Sumitro! The best that I have seen of mount-K is an outline and sometime I doubt whether the outline was for real or I was imagining.
One of my friend went to see the mountains immediately after I came back, unfortunately they couldn’t view it properly either. So I can well imagine your situation Golam Da. But the mountains will still call us I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhnik View Post
We take the car out for a spin every weekend to explore the scenic viewpoints around, and there is so much raw, natural beauty within 30 mins to 1 hour drive around Siliguri that it's pretty amazing.
Quite a place to have your in-laws I say. Siliguri is a gateway to the entire north east and so very close to the mountains. Enjoy the place while you are there,

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Lovely narration and pictures. You're lucky to stay at a closer distance to the Himalayas. Can't believe that we can see the snow capped mountains from Islampur. Was there a lag while climbing up the kalimpong hills. Also do you mind sharing the route from Kolkata to Siliguri as I get confused at times while driving to siliguri. These pictures are tempting me to drive all the way from Bangalore
Thanks jithin23, I didn’t find any lag while climbing up the Kalimpong road, second gear of Ecosport has a long reach and works out well, at least for me. But yes, at some bends, it did need downshifting but apart from that, no-issues at all.

Regarding the route, I have already mentioned the default route in this thread only. Please feel free to ask anything if you need to know anything else,

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:57   #21
BHPian

Mood was down as I missed the morning meet today being locked in home, so decided to read your entire TL and it did work wonders.

The reflection of the Kanchenjunga in the waters is also something I am seeing for the first time through your lenses.

You were lucky to have found the Morgan House open, sadly when we visited there around early November it was closed for outsiders.

Finally, the rooftop view of the Yuru Retreat seems out of the world. Must have been a heavenly pleasure having the breakfast with such a stunning sight.

You seem to author nothing short of 6 stars these days, pity I could give only 5 here. The pictures and narration is awesome and wish you make the Kumaon trip soon for me to copy your itinerary and follow Baahon's footsteps.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 23:50   #22

wow! that is wonderfully written,kept me hooked from the very beginning until the end. I just feel like packing and heading to the hills right now.
pensive_07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Mood was down as I missed the morning meet today being locked in home, so decided to read your entire TL and it did work wonders.

The reflection of the Kanchenjunga in the waters is also something I am seeing for the first time through your lenses.
First of all, thank you for the good words Saikat, as always. Hope you are doing fine within the present situation, wishing good health to you all.

Yes, Kanchenjunga reflection was an awesome view for sure. One rarely comes across views like those and I certainly got lucky.

Yuru is one hell of a place, location wise. I am glad to have found the place, albeit with the help of some friends. Clear weather gives mesmerising views of the hills and one can spend hours. My usual go to place in Kalimpong was Holumba Haven and Elgin but now Yuru takes the preferred place crown for sure.

Kumaon looks far off as of now but one can never be so sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if your behemoth makes the trip before Baahon

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensive_07 View Post
wow! that is wonderfully written,kept me hooked from the very beginning until the end. I just feel like packing and heading to the hills right now.
Thanks for the good words pensive_07, glad that you liked it.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:07   #24
BHPian

Somehow missed reading this earlier ! Absolutely stunning photographs , and some of the captures are probably once in a lifetime kind of pieces - the views seem to have been exceptional this year around November.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:12   #25
BHPian

How difficult is the drive in an i20? I've driven to hills in Ooty etc - is it somewhat like that?
If driving from Calcutta what's the right place to halt and stay?
Is driving in December going to be a problem?
Old 9th December 2020, 19:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Lolaygaon forest guest houses are spread across a huge area and the canteen is situated far from the cottages as well. Saving grace is that the dinner is served to the cottages. Breakfast was done early and it was time to get back to the grind and to remind ourselves that a pandemic is raging on as well.
Excellent write-ups Abhi...thank you very much!
basuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 12:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Somehow missed reading this earlier ! Absolutely stunning photographs , and some of the captures are probably once in a lifetime kind of pieces - the views seem to have been exceptional this year around November.
Thanks for the good words DriveTrain, the month of November indeed gave some splendid views but no better than the sight of the big cats that you got to witness from such close quarters. 2020 has been a revelation of so many kinds. Look forward to more of your logs,

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four.bytes View Post
How difficult is the drive in an i20? I've driven to hills in Ooty etc - is it somewhat like that?
If driving from Calcutta what's the right place to halt and stay?
Is driving in December going to be a problem?
The gradients are little more steep compared to what you get in Ooty in case of Kalimpong. But that can be done in an i20 without much fuss. The roads are in bad shape after Coronation bridge but can be managed with careful driving.

Usually if one has to take a break midway between Siliguri and Calcutta then I have seen people take the break in either Malda or Raigunj. Malda has got the Golden Park hotel on the highway and Raigunj has the West Bengal Tourist Lodge. Both the places are the preferred places for many people I know though I personally haven’t stayed ever.

Fog is the only issue in the winters and the route is now more or less in good shape with some occasional bad stretches. During the day, delays have to be taken into account because of local traffics but if you are okay with night driving then, those issues are taken care off greatly. Wish you a wonderful drive four.bytes

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
Excellent write-ups Abhi...thank you very much!
Thanks you so very much for your words basuk, I am glad you liked it.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed