Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 18:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Charting a course from Kolkata to Himachal with a Jeep Trailhawk

Excellent trip report and precisely written which can also be used for navigation purposes.

I enjoyed reading. You would have ventured into Naddi had you gone about 3 kms to the left of the lake. It is a pristine little village with very little commercial activity at present.

The steep road on which your hotel was ran two lane both ways on Nov 16th when it rained and main road was closed. It is the steepest road for shortest distance that I have ever done. It was an experience to concentrate on road as view all around was scenic.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st December 2020 at 18:36. Reason: Multiple typos. Please check before posting. Thanks.
RajeevSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:28   #17
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic travelogue Dipan Da! Thanks a lot for the details of the routes and places. Rated 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
If we were certain that Sach Pass would be open, we could have planned to go to Keylong.
Attachment 2087040
The Jeep Compass is a beauty! I would like point out one thing about the travelogue though, was expecting more pictures of the Compass Trailhawk. If I had such a beautiful vehicle, I would have filled up the pages with pictures from all angles

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st December 2020 at 18:30.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely log, you just reminded me of an identical trip two winter’s back. Jeep Compass is a fantastic vehicle and the Trailhawk is a complete stunner. There should have been some frontal shots of the beauty for us to savour.

I enjoyed Mcleodgunj very much for its laidback pace and the food on offer. Wishing you more miles and more journeys on your brute of a vehicle.

Regards.

P.S- Almost same journey undertaken two winters back. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...leod-ganj.html (To the Holy grail of Agra, Amritsar and McLeod Ganj)
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Fantastic travelogue Dipan Da! Thanks a lot for the details of the routes and places. Rated 5 stars.

The Jeep Compass is a beauty! I would like point out one thing about the travelogue though, was expecting more pictures of the Compass Trailhawk. If I had such a beautiful vehicle, I would have filled up the pages with pictures from all angles
I could have given more pictures- but the limit is 30 and I want to keep it in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Thanks for the wonderful report and photos. My 2 questions are:-
1. How did the ZF gearbox behave during the highway runs and while climbing up the hills.?
2. When u were going up to Sach Pass was the response of the gearbox seamless or did you have to use manual mode?
9 speed ZF Gearbox did well. On highways, you can do quick overtakes easily . But if it’s a very close overtake then sometimes I felt there is a tad delay. Also in few occasions I felt that after overtake it is holding on to the lower gear a bit before upshifting . Experts can comment.
While going uphill I used both manual as well automatic and response was excellent in both cases. But the terrain and slope was not enough to challenge its potential .

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st December 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
brownianmotion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:18   #20
BHPian

Wow man. I can never do so much driving for such a small stay. Wouldn't you have enjoyed Sikkim or the NE Himalayas more than Himachal since you would have spent more time at the locations than travelling.
But still kudos to you and others like you who can drive for so many days and that too long drives on everyday. I had to drive 5-6 hours to Manali last year and I spent 1 day just recuperating from that drive.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
A detailed write up

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Zirakpur for night stay? You could have gone towards Rajpura-Ludhiana-Jalandhar from Ambala. These places offer decent options for night stay.
Zirakpur is near Chandigarh. We won’t go to city that’s why we chose Zirakpur. Since we were driving from Allahabad which is about 925 km we thought that’s a logical point of stay. Also from there we can reach Dalhousie by 1 pm easily if we start early. Jalandhar was also a option - then we can start leisurely for Dalhousie next day.
Old 1st December 2020, 21:24   #22
BHPian

Wonderful write up, loved the part where you mentioned about the journey being as good as the destination - people who love to drive will always enjoy the journey more than the destination.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thanks for sharing such a great travelogue. What was the error you kept getting DEF ? How was it rectified ?
You have asked a question for which I am also searching for answers. When DEF was about 70-75% just before Bairagarh we saw a warning ‘check DEF, service engine , auto start/stop disabled’. But there was no issues in driving , could not feel anything on steering. Now BS6 is new to me. This could be due to the fact that the auto regeneration was delayed and hence the warning - just guessing . While coming back from Sach Pass the warning is gone . Then while going from Dharamshala to Agra once again we found a warning ‘engine will not restart after 450 km , check DEF system , auto stop/start unavailable, service engine’ and Adblue level was 50% . Once we charged 4 L Adblue ( it has a 13 L tank) then the warning is gone . I thought it was somehow calculating that in another 450 km Adblue will fall below 25% and hence showing such warning - again a guess . Need to read some more about this in other forums.
Old 1st December 2020, 21:54   #24
BHPian

Aha. Lively and lovely. Always feel good to travel and better to read a travleogue.
Dalhousie is my fav place too. Very scenic and lively. Glad you made it to sach pass. Need a rugged 4*4 to make it till there. And the highways you traveled need a comfortable mile muncher. No better car than the trail hawk to accomplish what you might call a Herculean task so effortlessly. Wishing you many more miles. Stay safe and blessed.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:05   #25
BHPian

Great travelogue !! For the longest time I have been thinking of driving to Himachal from Mumbai and am yet to come around to doing that for the paucity of long leaves ☹. I admire your penchant for covering the distance you did in 11 days. Really enjoyed reading through – I can almost feel the cold Himalayan breeze on my face. There are few things more exhilarating than the sight of majestic Himalayan Ranges on a clear blue-sky day. A couple of years back I had driven down from Chandigarh in November but only did the regular touristy trip of places near Shimla. Your experience has egged me on to plan a road trip sooner than later.
Even I am keen to know about the fuel nozzle adapter, do share a pic when you have the time.
pathik@2020 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue in the Covid times. Great job. voted 5*
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
You have asked a question for which I am also searching for answers. When DEF was about 70-75% just before Bairagarh we saw a warning ‘check DEF, . Need to read some more about this in other forums.
If you read latest autocar India, it is mentioned somewhere that this is due to ad blue. That if adblue becomes 75% level it gives this error, please check with your dealership.
Old 8th December 2020, 22:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
It’s been a wonderful journey. And truly, it’s the roads that remain etched in our memory more than the destination.
Indeed! It is a wonderful travelogue to say the least. This is my second attempt to complete reading your exhilarating log at once from the beginning. Hats off to you for completing such an epic journey. Keep traveling and keep posting.
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 01:58   #29
BHPian

Rated 5 stars for the excellent journey you made. 4 days of continuous drive to reach your destination, that is indeed Living to Drive. Someday I wish to visit Khajjiar at least once in my lifetime, beautiful place. Oh and I duly noted down the delicacies of Lucknow as you mentioned, will surely come handy in future

Thankfully you mentioned that Tajmahal is closed for COVID, I was evaluating a visit to Agra but will drop now. Do you know if Kashi Biswanath Temple is also closed or has it opened?

Last edited by haisaikat : 17th December 2020 at 02:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks