Team-BHP > Travelogues

Old 16th February 2021, 19:11   #1
BHPian

Default Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila

The Weekend of 13thFeb presented a good opportunity to travel.Saraswati Puja holiday being on 16th Feb, a Tuesday, if we availed a day’s leave on Monday then it would have been a holiday for 4 straight days. Started looking for destinations and finalized on the Ranchi-Betla-Netarhat triangle. Accordingly got in touch with resident D-BHPian Saket who said that whereas the trip is very much doable, the Betla Tiger Reserve was closed and hence safari wasn’t an option. Also, he told me that apart from the govt accommodation there weren’t much good hotels.
Discussed with my wife and concluded that 4 days travel to those 3 places will not leave us with ample time to explore the places and hence decided to plan for some other destination. Thought about Purulia for a while, however, most places were already visited. Checked the weekenddestinations.info website and found that Asanboni, at the foothills of Dalma can be tried as a destination.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1135.jpg
Moderate forests on the way after crossing Jhargram

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1136.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1142.jpg
Highway from Ghatshila to Asanboni

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1147.jpg
It was Valentine's day

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1165.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1168.jpg
Dimna lake. Late evening.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1169.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1172.jpg

Many BHPians, Samba, AJ-got-BHP had been there and infact Asanboni had hosted a team-bhp meet too. Initially tried for the Dalmanchal resort – but the reservation process pissed me off. Then talked to Samba and got the Tenth Milestone Resort phone numbers from him. Called up the resort, found that rooms were available which we booked by paying a token amount. The final plan was to reach Asanboni on 13th Feb. Stay for 2 nights and check out on 15th Feb. While returning pay a visit to Ghatshila, which falls on the way.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1176.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1178.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1188.jpg
Breakfast at the hotel.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1200.jpg
Enroute Dalma Hills.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1202.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1204.jpg
Palash trees have started to bloom.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1205.jpg
Tribal villagers hut.

Started off our journey at 7.30 in the morning. Winter was almost over, but the mornings were still pleasant. Nothing much to write really about the initial part of the journey except that we faced a huge congestion at the Dhulagori (not sure of the exact spelling) toll plaza. Beyond that reached Kolaghat at 10 AM – indicating a travel time of 2.5 hrs to travel 70kms. Stopped at Sher-e-Punjab for breakfast and had the routine Aloo Paranthas. When I had travelled to Similipal last year drive till Baharagora but never beyond it. There were some lovely stretches with forests, paddy cultivations. Traffic was sparse and the road surface was smooth all the way to Ghatshila.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1209.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1210.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1212.jpg
From Dalma to Chandil dam through interior roads.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1213.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1214.jpg
A colourful courtyard

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1217.jpg
Chandil Dam

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1218.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1227.jpg

At Ghatshila we filled up fuel and reached Asanboni around 3 in the afternoon. Check in process was smooth and we freshened up and had a late lunch of Roti, Butter Chicken and Kebabs. The food was lip smacking and later we found out that the restaurant was the main revenue generator for the hotel. In fact, in the 2 nights of our stay, we were the only room guests.
After lunch, went to the nearby Dimna lake. The sun was on the verge of setting and it looked indeed beautiful. My son had made a paper boat and he wanted to set it sail. After spending 15 mins at the lake, we returned to the resort. In the evening there was nothing to do, so we went to the restaurant for some snacks and spent till it closed down at 11 PM.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1228.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1230.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1232.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-collage_1.jpg
Lunch at Hotel - a collage.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-collage_2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2021 at 06:35.
sayakc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 19:34   #2
BHPian

Default re: Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila

After a sound sleep, we woke up late the following morning. I had Poori, Subzi whereas the missus and kid had toasts and eggs. The plan for the day was to visit the Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary and Chandil Dam. So, lazily we left the hotel around 11 AM – the initial objective being Dalma. It was a nice hilly road that cut through several tribal villages. We photographed the colourful huts, cultivation fields that had dried brown. The palash and simul trees had started to shed their leaves and were starting to flower. It was smooth going till the Sanctuary gate – where we hit a bummer. The sanctuary was apparently closed due to the pandemic. A number of tourist vehicles, most bearing West Bengal number plates, returned empty handed.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1233.jpg
Enroute Ghatshila

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1234.jpg
Lotus pond on the way to Burudi dam.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1236.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1237.jpg
The villager who 'plucked' these lotuses from the lake.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1239.jpg
Village huts

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1241.jpg
Papaya tree. Found several of them with ripened papayas.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1242.jpg
Another colourful hut.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1247.jpg
Burudi dam.

Next we headed to Chandil Dam. We took a village road which connected us to the Ranchi highway. Travelled some distance on the highway and then left it to reach the Chandil dam road. Found out that several sections of the Ranchi-Jamshedpur highway was still under construction. But Chandil Dam road was initially excellent,with curves, it was delight to drive. The last mile, though, the road surface had peeled off and we had to climb a small hillock to reach the Chandil Dam Boating complex. Numerous vendors were selling different paraphernalia from chaats, golgappas, chowmeins. A group of picnickers had arrived who were cooking a feast. However, the boats were conspicuously absent. After spending sometime we took the return path. Saw that there were a few Dhabas on the highway but wasn’t sure about the hygiene so thought of having lunch at the hotel. Returned around 3 in the afternoon and ordered for some Jeera Rice, Dal Fry and Kadai Chicken – superbly cooked yet again. Post lunch, we went to the Jubilee Park and found it to be closed. Unfortunately for us, most of the attractions in Jharkhand were still closed due to the pandemic.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1249.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1251.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1252.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1255.jpg
New saplings being planted.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1256.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1257.jpg
Ploughing the land.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1259.jpg A typical rural view of Ghatshila. The photo got blurred due to my malfunctioning lens.

The next day we woke up a little early and freshened up and were ready to leave. Had breakfast around 9.30 AM and by 10 AM we were on the road. Tanked up at a fuel pump in the outskirts of Jamshedpur. We were scheduled to visit Ghatshila. We had shortlisted 3 places – Author Bibhutibhushan’s House, Phuldungri Hill top and Burudi Dam. We reached Ghatshila in slightly more than and hour and first went to the Phuldungri Hilltop. There was a view of the town and its hillocks beyond. Next we came down from the hill and went to Burudi Dam. On the way we found a pond of lotuses. And son then got excited and asked for a lotus to be picked. So, we stopped our car and found a old man who was willing to fetch him. Didn’t know that the lotus stems extended quite a length under the water. Armed with the lotus, we headed towards Burudi. We left the main highway and entered the narrow village roads. Found that papaya’s were blooming, farmers were busy tilling the land, there were numerous lakes and ponds and far beyond there were small hillocks. We reached the Burudi Dam, had a cup of tea in one of the stalls and then started our way back home. We decided to give Bibhutibhushan’s home a miss this time around hoping to be there sometime in the future.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1260.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1261.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1264.jpg
A rear view of the highway.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-_dsc1269.jpg
Back to Bengal.
During the return, we tried spotting some good Dhabas enroute but found that most were truck driver Dhabas . Some had quite quirky names like “Aaji Khaoji Dhaba”. Found a place near Jhargram called “Niramispur”. Unable to find a clean Dhaba we decided to stop at Sher-e-Punjab at Kolaghat – which we reached around 2.30. Had a heavy lunch and then it was the onwards drive home.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2021 at 06:35.
sayakc is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila

Thanks Sayak for sharing this travelogue. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, most of the parks and public places are still closed in JH. Hopefully, as per the latest update, they should open post 01st of March, 2021.

You could have visited Dassam falls though; but for that you would have to travel at least 100 kms from Jamshedpur towards Ranchi, which meant taking out an entire day from your itinerary. But as they say, there is always a next time & then probably we can meet in person as well.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:42   #5
BHPian

Lovely Travelogue Sayak da. I am still trying to finish my Muruguma travelogue

Did you get to see Palash flowers there ?? This year guess its late for Palash.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Was waiting for this to come up and it came up fantastic. As-usual another signature travelogue from you. Rated 5*

Good to see palash has already started to bloom. If time permits will give it a chase in March!

Being me, how can I not photo-bomb in others travelogue!

From Last March at Dalma.

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-90077924_3915241845214346_7757754201312067584_o.jpg

Weekend Trip to Asanboni & Ghatshila-90369251_3915273698544494_948579832680153088_o.jpg
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:33   #7
BHPian

Very Nice 5* Travelogue Sayak and with beautiful pictures, Chandil Dam had been on my list for quite some time and now I have a ready made itinerary. Your pictures are always closer to the earth and soil of the land as I have said before. The way you keep us pulled to the nature, you are the resident Bibhutibhushan of TBHP, although you skipped visiting his home this time. Nature is so refreshing, keep sharing more of these.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Many thanks for your support Saket. Now that I have an overview of the region, largely from you, I think I can plan on a trip to the places of Jharkhand that I have wanted to visit for quite sometime now. Netarhat-Maromar-Betla-Daltonganj, only for the sake of visiting the places that we have read about in Ray's stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You could have visited Dassam falls though; but for that you would have to travel at least 100 kms from Jamshedpur towards Ranchi, which meant taking out an entire day from your itinerary. But as they say, there is always a next time & then probably we can meet in person as well.

Regards,
Saket.

Dear SVK Rider,
Thank you for the nice words sir! Now that you state Muruguma, I yearn to go yet again. Btw, where did you stay when you visited there? At Dalma, I observed that a few of the Palash trees have started to turn red.Must be a good time to visit during March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Lovely Travelogue Sayak da. I am still trying to finish my Muruguma travelogue .Did you get to see Palash flowers there ?? This year guess its late for Palash.

Thank you Samba! You are always rolling on wheels and I am pretty sure that a quick trip to these hills will be worth. Infact, better still driving upto the Betla-Netarhat area. Check this link https://indianvagabond.com/2017/08/0...-travel-guide/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Was waiting for this to come up and it came up fantastic. As-usual another signature travelogue from you. Rated 5*

Good to see palash has already started to bloom. If time permits will give it a chase in March!
Thanks Saikat, for your nice words! What I found out is Asanboni and Ghatshila can be clubbed together in a trip where you spend 1 night each at both places places most of the places i.e. Dalma, Chandil and Dimna are all in the neighbourhood of Asanboni and you can visit these places within a short span of 3-4 hours. But this, Bibhutibhushan thing you wrote, seta ektu barabari hoye gelo na

Loose translation of the italics: going over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Very Nice 5* Travelogue Sayak and with beautiful pictures, Chandil Dam had been on my list for quite some time and now I have a ready made itinerary. Your pictures are always closer to the earth and soil of the land as I have said before. The way you keep us pulled to the nature, you are the resident Bibhutibhushan of TBHP, although you skipped visiting his home this time. Nature is so refreshing, keep sharing more of these.
Cheers,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 23rd February 2021 at 20:50.
sayakc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:15   #9
BHPian

Lovely pictures as usual which bring the earthiness that’s so specific to you only. I usually stay at Golden Leaf at Asanboni and that place has been good to us till now. Being not very far from Calcutta and the four laning work being complete, both these places are more accessible now.

There’s another road from Asanboni which passes through Bandwan, Belpahari, and Jhargram before connecting back at NH6. During the road widening work, I used to take that road and it is equally scenic road which passes through some really dense forests.

Thanks for sharing your log Sayakc, specially loved the picture of the old man with lotus stems. Will wait for your next sojourn,

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 23rd February 2021 at 22:17.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Hello ABHI_1512,

Thank you for the nice words. The road condition till Ghatshila is excellent and true it helped in quite fast movement. But there are a lot of diversions after Ghatshila to Asanboni but road construction is being accelerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I usually stay at Golden Leaf at Asanboni and that place has been good to us till now. Being not very far from Calcutta and the four laning work being complete, both these places are more accessible now.
That man taking the lotus stems out of the pond was on the insistence of my son. So, thought that may be take a photograph to which he can refer to later when he grows up .The route knowledge speaks of your travels around the area. Actually I had taken the Manbazar-Bandwan-Jhargram road a couple of times when coming from Matha and Ajodhya Hills and its crosses over to Jharkhand at a few places. The forests are quite deep and there are a few elephant corridors IIRC. There was a lot of police in the area and I had to stop over for checking the car. But that was around 3 years back, I guess.

Quote:
There’s another road from Asanboni which passes through Bandwan, Belpahari, and Jhargram before connecting back at NH6. During the road widening work, I used to take that road and it is equally scenic road which passes through some really dense forests.

Thanks for sharing your log Sayakc, specially loved the picture of the old man with lotus stems. Will wait for your next sojourn,

Regards.

Last edited by sayakc : 24th February 2021 at 12:29.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed