Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip

This trip just happened and was planned just 1 day before we started. Two bikers agreed, the only plan was a 3 day trip from Chennai to Ooty and we wanted to do camping. We had no sort of 'Places to visit' in the itinerary. We just wanted to ride. That's it.

Saturday morning 5 AM - Started from Chennai
Saturday evening 3:30 PM - Reached Mettupalayam
Saturday evening 6 PM - Reached Ooty
Sunday - Exploring nearby Villages in Nigiris
Monday morning 9:30 AM - Started from Ooty
Monday night 10 PM - Reached Chennai

A day before the ride, took my 10 year old CBR to Honda service to do some basic checks for a 1000km ride. Replaced disc brake pads, refilled the oil , a good soap wash and the humble CBR is all set for the journey. My LS2 jacket's shoulder pads and elbow pads were completely damaged after last ride. Somehow found a good D30 shoulder pads matching the LS2 jacket but couldn't find a matching elbow pads, and decided to travel like that.

My biker friend in his almost new Interceptor 650 & me met at Motel Highway near Poonamallee at 5:30 AM. After a good cup of coffee, we headed for our long ride ahead. We went Via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri to Ooty. And returned via Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Salem - Ulundurpet - Tindivanam to Chennai.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-route_chennai_ooty.jpg

The ride via Kotagiri to Ooty was great and full of tea estates. It was worth the 10 hour travel.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-5.jpeg

With 3 breaks for breakfast, lunch & a coffee, we were comfortably able to reach Ooty, thanks to Reliable CBR & a RE mile muncher. Our cruising speed was around 100-120 kmph and both the machines were able to do it without making much fuss. I should add one thing about the RE650, which I was riding for about 50km in Krishnagiri-Salem route. This is one awesome highway bike and it can go 50-150 kmph in the same 6th gear. Overtaking's don't need a downshift at all. I being a RE hater for all their vibrations & oil leaks was thoroughly impressed by this one. Thumbs up you folks at RE

Some Pictures from the first day ride

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-1.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-2.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-3.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-4.jpeg

We camped Saturday night in Ooty in a camping ground. Even though the place and view was good, we had rather loud folks nearby playing and dancing to DJ, which wasn't to our liking. After all, we went in search of some peace in the hills.

BYOT - Bring your own Tent is the way in these COVID times and is comparatively safer option to stay.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-6.jpeg

Next day we were exploring the nearby areas in Ooty .

Emerald Dam near Avalanche.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-7.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-8.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-9.jpeg

En-route Destiny Farms.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-11.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-10.jpeg

And by evening, my friend kms found one amazing place in the middle of nowhere to camp for the night. It was some nice meadows near Parsons Valley.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-12.jpeg

Some kind Toda tribals helped us with the route and water.
Bonfire, Coffee & Noodles on a Cold night in some remote jungle. Ahh! I want to go back again.
All thanks to my friend for carrying a mini kitchen.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-13.jpeg

All set to ride back to Chennai.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-14.jpeg

Some clicks near Coonoor.

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-15.jpeg

Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-16.jpeg

Finally some learnings for me from the trip.

All the accessories like a Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Knee Guard, etc. are a necessity and not a luxury.
In a hurry and bit lazy to go search, I went for the ride without gloves.
And while returning had a small accident near Tindivanam and had bruises in my palms.
No other damage as the helmet, jacket and knee guard took all the hit.
Will make sure next time will be fully covered.

And next, I had a tinted visor with some scratches. In the day time, it was fine.
But in the dark, if I close the visor, it was fully glaring and if I open, dust and insects hitting the eye. Somehow managed few hundred kilometers by towing behind one Honda Jazz which was riding at a decent pace.
Next time, will change to a Normal visor and make sure it is scratch less before going for any long trips.

Thanks for reading !!
RaghavEvoX is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 08:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
We camped Saturday night in Ooty in a camping ground.
Didn't know there were camping grounds in Ooty. Where is this? Quality and upkeep of the common area kitchen and toilets? Unfortunate that you had to deal with loud neighbors. That is the last thing you want when you go camping. The idea is to be kind and respect others privacy.

Yes, the Interceptor is indeed Royal Enfield's finest to date.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 30th March 2021 at 08:19.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you record the FE of your C250R during the trip please? Next time, pls take the Chithode - Gobi - Sirumugai - Mettupalayam route, you'll not be disappointed.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

That's a well written crisp travelogue. Loved the way you guys camped and parked your vehicles. I am sure you'll want to go back for more. Feels like it's a great way to escape the Hyd heat!
Old 31st March 2021, 12:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Superb little travelogue that. Excellent pictures to complement the write-up too. The roads around Ooty and the scenery is simply brilliant.

Quote:
This trip just happened and was planned just 1 day before we started. Two bikers agreed, the only plan was a 3 day trip from Chennai to Ooty and we wanted to do camping. We had no sort of 'Places to visit' in the itinerary. We just wanted to ride. That's it.
The best journeys are often unplanned ones or those planned just a day in advance. This is exactly what the way I would have it.

Quote:
I being a RE hater for all their vibrations & oil leaks was thoroughly impressed by this one. Thumbs up you folks at RE
That says a lot about the 650 and how much effort Royal Enfield has put in to make it refined.

Quote:
Even though the place and view was good, we had rather loud folks nearby playing and dancing to DJ, which wasn't to our liking. After all, we went in search of some peace in the hills.
Such people ruin the experience. Unfortunately, they are found everywhere in the country.

Quote:
All the accessories like a Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Knee Guard, etc. are a necessity and not a luxury.
Absolutely right. No compromise on safety. One should take care to protect himself to the best of his ability.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 13:50   #6
BHPian

I really envy you on the kind of Camping you had on the second night. I really wanted to go for camping with my family and safety was a concern. Would be great if you can throw some light on the below points.

1) How much do they charge for the camping ground ?
2)Is it safe in the night. Reptiles are something the entire family hates..
3) How was the cleanliness of common washrooms in the camping ground.
4) Would love to Camp next to my car if at all feasible.
Old 31st March 2021, 17:28   #7
BHPian

Wow, this is fantastic. I too own a CBR and love it immensely.

Would like to have a little bit detailed experience of RE650 from you being a CBR owner.
Attaching one of my old picture and a current pic of my CBR 250.

This one was taken in 2019 Spring during one of my ride.
Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-cbr-3.jpg

This one taken last to last week from another ride.
Chennai to Ooty in a CBR250 & RE650 | Camping Trip-cbr-4.jpg
SVK Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
This one taken last to last week from another ride.
Attachment 2139098
Very interesting aux lights; may I request shedding some light on the setup please
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 23:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Didn't know there were camping grounds in Ooty. Where is this? Quality and upkeep of the common area kitchen and toilets?
Yes there are a few listed in Airbnb. Food was decent(Parathas & Dal) & refresh rooms were also fine.
Next time if at all I stay in a camping ground, I would prefer to go on a weekday to avoid unhealthy crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Did you record the FE of your C250R during the trip please?
Next time, pls take the Chithode - Gobi - Sirumugai - Mettupalayam route, you'll not be disappointed.
Sure will do.
Yes, Did the refueling 4 times during the entire trip of 1245 kms. Minimum FE was 33 kmpl and maximum was 38 kmpl. For the entire trip, average FE was around 35 kmpl. It drank approximately 36L energy drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
That's a well written crisp travelogue. Loved the way you guys camped and parked your vehicles. I am sure you'll want to go back for more.
Thanks for your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Superb little travelogue that. Excellent pictures to complement the write-up too. The roads around Ooty and the scenery is simply brilliant.

The best journeys are often unplanned ones or those planned just a day in advance. This is exactly what the way I would have it.
Thanks Aditya.
At least in my case, most of the trips I plan well in advance gets cancelled at the last minute for some or the other reason, which is why I prefer unplanned or planned within few days.
In fact I do planned car picnic trips with family and unplanned bike trips with friends or people with common interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post
I really envy you on the kind of Camping you had on the second night. I really wanted to go for camping with my family and safety was a concern. Would be great if you can throw some light on the below points.

1) How much do they charge for the camping ground ?
2) Is it safe in the night. Reptiles are something the entire family hates..
3) How was the cleanliness of common washrooms in the camping ground.
4) Would love to Camp next to my car if at all feasible.

First night was a camping ground for 1000 bucks (they provide place for your tent, complementary breakfast and refresh rooms with heater).
And the second night was an open ground for free. we just took permission from nearby villagers.

//Is it safe in the night. Reptiles are something the entire family hates//
Haha. Reptiles are more scared of humans that they don't come near us

//How was the cleanliness of common washrooms in the camping ground.//
Decent but prefer to go on a weekday when the crowd is less. It mostly depends on fellow travelers rather than camp/ hotel hosts.

//Would love to Camp next to my car if at all feasible.//

Definitely possible. Some generic suggestions to all who would love to camp from my side.

- Don't camp in commercial tourist spots.
- Drive at least some 20 km out of hotspots to explore beautiful villages.
- Talk to the villagers and make friends.
- Take permission from them and camp happily. Most of the villagers will be more than happy to talk to you and host you.
- Don't expect all the luxury. Appreciate the simple life and our beautiful country.
- If at all you are not sure where to go, take a drive to poombarai village near Kodai and you will not be disappointed.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 23:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Wow, this is fantastic. I too own a CBR and love it immensely.

Would like to have a little bit detailed experience of RE650 from you being a CBR owner.
Thanks.
Here are few observations of mine on RE650 over CBR250, even though not a detailed one.

- You don't need to worry about vibrations in RE650, it's unlike any other RE. As a CBR250 owner, I just couldn't drive classic 350 and 500 for even few kilometers courtesy their vibrations. But this doesn't have that family genes.
- CBR's comfortable cruising speed is around 100-110 kmph without straining the engine much and the same is 120-130 kmph for RE650. So if you are looking for that extra 20 kmph cruising speed, then this is worth the upgrade.
- RE650 can carry pillion more comfortably. I saw at least another 10-15 bikers in RE650 during this ride with their pillion. In CBR, pillions suited only for short rides.
- My height is 5'8 and CBR's seat height is just perfect for me. RE650 has a bit taller seat height and a laid back riding position, which I took few minutes to get adjusted to. But I think anyone shorter than 5'6 might find it difficult in RE.
- RE650 can carry loads of luggage and there are many aftermarket accessories which can be direct fit to RE650. Yes, CBR can also carry (I use saddle bags for really long trips), but RE is just better.
- In CBR250, I have never experienced engine heat till now. But things are bit different in RE650, there is lot of engine heat (strict NO for ride in shorts and slippers). But with proper shoes and trousers, it is not really something that is bothersome.
- One more thing I noticed was the rear view mirror in RE. There was nothing visible in that. May be similar to something when you see yourself in the bathroom mirror after taking bath in hot water
Something RE left to aftermarket R&D I think.

On the whole it's a great bike especially coming from RE and at this price point.
I have always been a fan of the RE brand but never a fan of their bikes before riding RE650.

And finally if you ask me whether I will upgrade to RE650 over CBR250
- NO, if I am the only one who will be going for the rides.
- YES, if I take my wife along for the rides.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 12:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
- RE650 can carry pillion more comfortably. I saw at least another 10-15 bikers in RE650 during this ride with their pillion. In CBR, pillions suited only for short rides.
And finally if you ask me whether I will upgrade to RE650 over CBR250
- NO, if I am the only one who will be going for the rides.
- YES, if I take my wife along for the rides.
650 twins are best for single tourers, did you check out the himalayan? It's best suited for pillion rider as well along with tourer badge
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 22:11   #12
BHPian

This seems like a wonderful camping trip! No hotel check-ins, no room service, no TV. Just two guys, a tent and no nonsense. Might do this on my GT someday. Thanks for giving me the idea.
silentstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 17:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Very interesting aux lights; may I request shedding some light on the setup please
Extremely sorry as I missed this post.
The picture uploaded was taken long back.
Currently I do not have this Aux light setup in my CBR anymore.

SO very sorry that I can not share any pictures of the same.
I did mount it on the front number place holder with the help of an extra steel plate.
Welded the plate over the number plate holder. Drilled the holes for the Aux units. Mounted the Aux lights with the help of the attachments supplied. Did the connection and good to go.
These lights served me more than 4 years continue.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks