Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 10:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Beautiful thread with beautiful pictures . The snaps of the animals are brilliant and they do stand out.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Sorry If this might seem out of place, but are those vehicles actually safe ? What if a wild animal like the tiger or leopard jumps into them. There is nothing to keep them out.
You have a good point, but none of the safari vehicles I have seen there or in other similar safaris are really "safe". These are not caged vehicles, if that is what you were referring to. I guess the animals are so used to these jeeps that they ignore these, and rarely ever come close to the jeeps. Further, even if they approach a jeep, the driver/naturalists know how to handle the situation and they are trained for that (I assume). In spite of that, theoretically, you are right that in case a leopard just jumps on the vehicle, there there is no protection at all. But that probability is extremely low.

Even the Mahindra Bolero Campers that we were riding in were totally open from all sides. That was actually the fun part of riding in these. I totally enjoyed the open air ride. Below is the picture of our jeep just to show you how open the vehicle is.

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-img_20210328_145617-2.jpg

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th April 2021 at 10:23.
Dr.AD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Sorry If this might seem out of place, but are those vehicles actually safe ? What if a wild animal like the tiger or leopard jumps into them. There is nothing to keep them out.
The chances of tigers or leopards jumping onto vehicles are very very low (though not impossible). They have a natural instinct to get away from humans. I knew an old hunter (now departed) who told me that he has chased tigers by running towards them in the days just after hunting was rightly banned in India. To clarify: I am not commenting on the rights or wrongs of doing this but just stating a fact
The next danger are bison and elephants. Elephants do charge but they are mostly "mock charges" and they stop much before the vehicle. The driver knows the difference between a mock charge and a real charge and takes evasive action accordingly. Bison will run away if you so much as wave a hand at them.
Bears also run at full speed away from humans and that is the reason you see so few photos of bears in travelogues
deepak_misra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic thread Dr.AD, and fantastic captures of the wild life. Though you can compare and find issues with the pictures, your pictures do not look like that from a newbie at all. You got some fantastic composition and depth of field in many of your images. I am sure this is going to improve by several notches in a few such drives.

Once again, a fantastic thread!
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:40   #19
BHPian

Wow! What a lovely set of cars and the big cats. Stunning photographs, I must say. Btw, I feel jealous for those tiger sightings Despite been to Kabini half a dozen times and even after a dozen safaris, I am yet to spot one! They look majestic and of course the 3s too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
there is one Kaav Safari Lodge that surely had jeep safaris. In fact, Kaav has nice Isuzu vehicles that looked great - more specious, comfortable and stylish than the Mahindra Bolero Campers used by JLR. We saw the Kaav Isuzus playing their and their driver/naturalist is also one of the best. So that is something definitely worth trying.
This is cool. Btw, is this something the Kaav recently allowed to do? I was always told the safaris are conducted by JLR alone and their guests get preference for those Boleros. Last year when I was at the Waterwoods, the safaris were operated by JLR alone. Anyways, it's good to have Isuzu vehicles around with some good naturalists.
TurboGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
What a coincidence. I had some spare time this evening and was browsing and I found a course at Udemy and have enquired and then, I see you recommending the same. Yes, I’ll take that course. Good to have some knowledge.

OT: The JLR at Kabini is perhaps the most expensive. Anyone knows if other properties around there also organise safaris? For example, I saw some great rates at the Serai but they have no mention of the safari.
JLR is perhaps the best / only safari operator in the region, so if wildlife is your aim, then look no further. Other hotels bring their guests to JLR for the safaris.

The other JLR property to visit is the Old Magazine House near Dandeli i think. Great for BirdWatching and Photography.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 14:37   #21
BHPian

I really enjoyed reading this! And I think you were pretty lucky with all those sightings too. I guess with experienced companions , luck plays on your side.
I have been on a few safaris there but not been so lucky.

The comparison, comments and tips you discussed regarding wildlife photography were very informative. Thanks for that!

From a ground clearance perspective, how do you compare the two cars?
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:23   #22
BHPian

Nice set of pictures you got there, Dr.AD! Jayant is indeed a very good tutor, one of the best in the business. Lovely set of cars too!
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[center]

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini

Amazing writeup Anand sir and an equally impressive eye candy shots of the Bimmers in wild!!

Kabini is a very special place for anybody who has the slightest interest in Karnataka wildlife...but your thread just projects how a couple of German thoroughbreds can add on to this explicit wilderness

JLR have jacked up the package costs significantly at Kabini in the recent past and all the additional charges makes it a bit of a rip off IMO. In fact, I have had ten times more luck with Bandipur and KGudi! I have been visiting various JLR properties across Karnataka for over 11 years now. All said and done, Kabini is still very special...all the more so as I have not had any luck to snap the illusive black leopard (Saaya) till date.

Although Robbie's 340i looks menacing, I personally prefer the ageless aggression facia on your 320D somehow.

Looking forward to seeing these two wild Bimmers in person soon.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Fantastic thread Dr.AD, and fantastic captures of the wild life. Though you can compare and find issues with the pictures, your pictures do not look like that from a newbie at all. You got some fantastic composition and depth of field in many of your images. I am sure this is going to improve by several notches in a few such drives.
Thank you very much Ganesh. Yes, I hope I keep improving with more such trips and looking forward to more trips with guys like Robi, you, KarthikK, deepfreak15 et al. I have learnt whatever I have through my discussions with all of you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
Wow! What a lovely set of cars and the big cats. Stunning photographs, I must say. Btw, I feel jealous for those tiger sightings Despite been to Kabini half a dozen times and even after a dozen safaris, I am yet to spot one! They look majestic and of course the 3s too.
Thank you very much. Yes, we were indeed very lucky this time. I have taken such safaris in the past and never saw anything this interesting.

Quote:
This is cool. Btw, is this something the Kaav recently allowed to do? I was always told the safaris are conducted by JLR alone and their guests get preference for those Boleros. Last year when I was at the Waterwoods, the safaris were operated by JLR alone. Anyways, it's good to have Isuzu vehicles around with some good naturalists.
From what I heard, other lodges such as Kaav as allowed to run their own safaris only when JLR safaris are fully booked. We were there during the log weekend for Holi and the JLR resort and safaris were fully booked. That is why Kaav was running their own Isuzu safaris. I think if the JLR safaris are not fully booked, then the other lodges will be required to use the JLR safaris for their guests and not their own safaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
JLR is perhaps the best / only safari operator in the region, so if wildlife is your aim, then look no further. Other hotels bring their guests to JLR for the safaris.

The other JLR property to visit is the Old Magazine House near Dandeli i think. Great for BirdWatching and Photography.
The other JLR property which I really loved is the River Tern resort near Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary. The cottages on that small island overlooking the backwaters are really pretty. And that is one JLR property where even if you dot go on a safari, you can just sit in your cottage balcony and still enjoy the views and the birds coming on the water there. That place is extremely scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
The comparison, comments and tips you discussed regarding wildlife photography were very informative. Thanks for that!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
From a ground clearance perspective, how do you compare the two cars?
I don't think there is much difference in effective ground clearance. I think the 340i is slightly lower, but is much stiffer too. In neither cars we had any issue with crossing any of the speed-breakers or handling any potholes. Robi can comment more on how the ground clearance of 340i, but as far as I can tell, there is no reasons to worry at all.

In my 320d, I have handled many bad roads, some terrible roads, and crossed uncountable number of speed-breakers (some monster speed-breakers) so far, and as long as I am careful, it can handle all of that without issue. Yes, one has to be very slow and very careful. But that becomes second nature eventually after one gets used to handling low slug sedans on Indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Nice set of pictures you got there, Dr.AD! Jayant is indeed a very good tutor, one of the best in the business. Lovely set of cars too!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Amazing writeup Anand sir and an equally impressive eye candy shots of the Bimmers in wild!!

Kabini is a very special place for anybody who has the slightest interest in Karnataka wildlife...but your thread just projects how a couple of German thoroughbreds can add on to this explicit wilderness
Thank you very much.

Quote:
JLR have jacked up the package costs significantly at Kabini in the recent past and all the additional charges makes it a bit of a rip off IMO. In fact, I have had ten times more luck with Bandipur and KGudi! I have been visiting various JLR properties across Karnataka for over 11 years now. All said and done, Kabini is still very special...all the more so as I have not had any luck to snap the illusive black leopard (Saaya) till date.
Yes, agree that Kabini is very expensive. As I mentioned above, the other JLR property I really like is the River Tern lodge. Fortunately, that is cheaper than JLR Kabini too.

Quote:
Although Robbie's 340i looks menacing, I personally prefer the ageless aggression facia on your 320D somehow.
Hahaha, thank you :-) Jokes apart, yes, I think the F30 has a very clean design that still looks great. G20 is a bit too busy in the front, but I am sure we will all get used to that and it will grow on us. Overall, G20 is still a great looking car and the M340i especially looks stunning with the matte grill etc.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing these two wild Bimmers in person soon.
Sure, looking forward to meeting you in person in one of the future meets/drives.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

DrAd, always enjoy reading your travel and photografy threads! Very rare to see someone share honest comparison with better work of others! Don't be discouraged though, we are in the department of automobiles :-)

I have a wildlife enthusiast in my family and anytime I give him my camera to shoot family photos, he shoots in continuous focus burst mode!
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:02   #26
BHPian

Trouble with reading such a thread is to know where to park your loyalties. Should I just be staring at the cars or should one oggle at the wildlife on display. Would have loved to drive on those B roads with the 320d and the M340i. Wonderful captures too and am sure you will take up this hobby seriously. One now has to show serious commitment to keep up with the slew of BMW's on a drive. Wonderful thread!
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
DrAd, always enjoy reading your travel and photografy threads! Very rare to see someone share honest comparison with better work of others! Don't be discouraged though, we are in the department of automobiles :-)

I have a wildlife enthusiast in my family and anytime I give him my camera to shoot family photos, he shoots in continuous focus burst mode!
Thank you very much androdev!

Funny point about the burst mode :-) Yes, the wildlife photographers love that, and I also used it first time ever for me in this trip, after observing others using this mode. I hope I do not forget to change this and shoot landscapes in this mode next time :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Trouble with reading such a thread is to know where to park your loyalties. Should I just be staring at the cars or should one oggle at the wildlife on display..... Wonderful thread!
Thank you very much! Lot of inspiration and motivation for such travels, photography and writing comes by watching the methods and works of friends like you! Thank you for that.

Quote:
Would have loved to drive on those B roads with the 320d and the M340i.
Would have loved to have your red hot GTI in the mix. That would have been super cool actually. Will surely do that next time.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th April 2021 at 20:14.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 22:52   #28
BHPian

For once, I skipped through the BMW photos.

Lovely photos of wildlife though. Keep them coming. Those are as interesting as they can get, however poorly they are framed.
We were at the K.Gudi last week, and we drove through the BR Hills K.Gudi road 8 times, spotted almost everything, except the tiger.
It was scary to drive through those empty roads at 5:45 in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-30c2915c984142319c2f8da922c1450e.jpg  

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-9478824200dd4315b786ca7abf72ccae.jpg  

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-b84c5af91015473b8e09caf565377861.jpg  

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-img_0776.jpg  

vinya_jag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:37   #29
BHPian

Class travelogue once again. Loved your pictures and honest rendition. Rated well deserved 5 stars.

First of all, congratulations on your new development in photography. And more congratulations for Good luck charm of three sightings the very first time. Neighbor's envy Owner's pride.

The Taxi comment was hilarious, if you check the roof of M340i in that picture, there is a small red car (Creta/i20) that apparently looks like a roof top sign lamp of a typical London taxi.

I am too a landscape fellow. Just like you, I tried my hands on wild life some time back using a 70-300 broken Tamron. Went to Kabini, took a Safari, but my fate, not a crow can be spotted. You know, Dog's tail cannot be straightened. I did "Landscape on a telephoto".

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-3.jpg

Cars, Wildlife and Photography Lessons at Kabini-5.jpg
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 08:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I am used to "road trips photography". But taking a photo like this was a totally new experience. And I loved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Hopefully we can do many more photography trips together AD in the future.
For the record, I'm extremely jealous amazing pics and lovely cars to boot. However for the first time I hate to admit the pics of the cars take a back seat. You both have captured some really incredible moments of our Nation's finest. Wishing you many more such trips and here's to hoping maybe once I can tag along
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed