Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 23:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks for sharing![/b]
Thanks a ton, I think of all the people I have bugged you the most for those numerous formatting alteration requests. Thanks for all the prompt support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Keep travelling and keep sharing these awesome travelogues. Rated 5*.
Many thanks for you complements, and glad you liked. The Arati pics are great captures from your post. May be someday a few of us newbies can get a chance to become vagabond on roads too along with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagar View Post
I was curious with the title, 'Lost'.
Thank you dear for the complements, actually we were lost on one of those days in search of Malaiyo in the Galis. Without help of the gentleman who guided us out it was difficult to come out on our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Stayed at the same hotel - Ganges Grand and visited almost all those eateries in 3 days!! Did you get the Kheer Kadam packed for home?
Thanks for the kind words, we really loved staying in Ganges Grand owing to its good service and excellent location. We did not take Kheer Kadam as its a widely available thing back here in Kolkata. Rather we focused on Peda since in Benaras, unlike Kolkata, Ox milk is used for its thickness to produce majority of the sweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post
Excellent visual narration, lovely family and enjoyed some those nice scenic and important spots photos.
Thanks for the nice words, even we hope this situation improves and we get to do our outings more freely as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Banaras is life. And the after life.
Wow what a wonderful quote. I would have borrowed it had I heard it before. I am in agreement with you its more lively than it appears in the photos. Glad you liked it. Take care of your parents and be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaychat View Post
Very descriptive and full of so many photos. I wish to visit Varanasi someday too.

Sorry if I am being a party pooper . . . I hope others see it that way too.
No offences taken and I understand your intent is noble. What good is a community if it does not allow free thinking. When we planned the travel to Varanasi except upcoming elections there were no alarms from Government authorities, not even the numbers. Of course every one of us is responsible for their own well being and that I believe every responsible BHPian understands. I have made several travels during unlock and have a separate thread on the precautions followed, but I thank you for sounding the warning and point well taken, stay stay safe and we must follow tons of precautions even when staying at home so be receptive to all ideas and suggestions and judge accordingly, travel only when you think its safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Amazing writeup. Reading through this made me feel as if I was on a live tour of Varanasi. Quite fascinated by the pictures; especially the food ones .
Someone told me that we should have titled the thread with Food theme instead , but that said, yes its an amazing place and glad you liked the account of the visit. When you feel things have improved go for the roads, Bangalore to Varanasi straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
This superb narrative brought back so many memories from our trip way back in December 2019.
That 2019 TL is what pulled up the Varanasi visit zeal in the first place, thought you should know. And your tip for Ganges Grand worked like charm. 10 Kachoris from Maharani on next visit from my side. Thank you for the complements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archisman View Post
What was your child eating while on the move?[/b]
Thank you for the kind words. For the kid, while being on the highways we gave him rice based dishes like plain rice , dal , fish if available or fried rice only with no side dishes whenever we halted for meals. During breakfast if bread and egg not available then we carried hot water and cup noodles which he liked eating. For the days in Varanasi, Ganges Grand had all time boneless Bhetki fish available so Dal, Rice and Bhetki Fish most of the times in lunch or dinner unless we went to dine outside for chinese or italian cuisines. But overall no spicy food for him as they are difficult to digest more so if meals will not happen on time like at home. Out of the street foods, only badi kachori is what we let him have, nothing else., wherever he demanded we resorted to packed things like ice cream. Bodhgaya was also similar. Stopping regularly when you have kids on board is must even if that increases your travel duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup_ View Post
Also, incredible luck with your timing. Had your plans been for a week or two later, the situation would have been completely different.
Absolutely spot on, just a week later counts shot up and everything was on red alert. Glad you liked reading and I wish you are safe and take care of your family too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Benaras is on top of my list as well, and your thread just made my belief stronger about this place.
Thank you dear for the kind words, please visit when you think its safe to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
I was very very fortunate to have lived and studied in Varanasi for four years from 1999-2003. With little or no money, we would often find ourselves walking for miles in the dark of the night to have a cup of tea with friends. A lot has changed in Varanasi I hear, but looking at your pictures, I am glad a lot hasn't
You were indeed fortunate to have stayed here for 4 years. My first visit was back in 1999 only. I realized that Banaras is still cheap when you consider other popular tourist destinations.

The changes are for good with better roads and cleaner surroundings, more organized than before.

Enjoying Benaras on foot is the best thing I realized, and can think how fortunate you were to have experienced this for 4 years. Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Subscribed for future reference.
Thank you for the complements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
You should've planned and spent a day at Mirzapur. Anyway, save it for your next visit to Varanasi.

Lakhaniya Dhari waterfalls are a sight to behold.
Seems your last visit must have been in recent times, seeing the mask on your face. Actually we realized that we are short of by at least 2 days for venturing out of Varanasi, to the nearby places like Allahabad or Lucknow, reserved for the next trip. Thanks for this suggestion will keep in mind next time and thanks for the complements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
Perhaps the beauty of Taj Mahal was more important than health to people as well as authorities.

Apologies for drawing attention away from this otherwise wonderful travelogue. Quite inspiring.
No offences taken, we are responsible for our actions and while the pictures depict a moment captured, we found mixed bag of people and its not intrinsic to Varanasi, its the same even here in Kolkata around the same time when elections were going on. Yes we did take right precautions for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
The pictures of the food made me drool and so were the pictures of the lanes and bylanes of Benaras.

Did you change your photography gear this time? Noticed a certain edge this time added to your photos

Were you using a fish eye lens ? Also, any drone ?
I knew of all the people, you must be appreciating the food trails the most, considering you have a pioneering thread on this forum for Kolkata Food Trail, got inspiration from that. Thanks for the kind words.

The Fish eye and Drone effect is from new addition, a 360 action cam, insta360 one x2. I realized I am no DSLR guy and no time for post processing. Hence this is the best solution for me, of course it has its limitations. Other photos are taken with iPhone and Oneplus of my wife and her friend respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
An amazing travelogue if it was a different time
Thanks, when the travel was made, there were no government alerts and only after we came back things changed. The pictures are just a instant moment, so we should not judge the people based on that. For instance when we sat down to eat somewhere we had to momentarily pull down masks but made sure that social distance protocol can be accommodated. And of course like I said earlier we are all responsible for our own safety but every city has a mix bag of all kinds of people, similar to Flat-earthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Indeed it is a living town (Zinda seher Banaras).
I concur with you, it is indeed a very lively place with such helpful and kind people all around who are ready to help. Stay safe in these times, always good to connect with your roots sometimes or the other. Thank you for the wonderful words.
haisaikat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 23:40   #32
BHPian

Such a detailed travelogue, replete with beautiful pictures, reference videos and fluid commentary. As if I was personally visiting through your lens. Will definitely use this one as a ready reckoner , when I visit the Holi city of Mahadev. Thanks @haisaikat.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 12:19   #33
BHPian

Such a well planned and executed trip. Relaxed and savoured, no rush and enjoying all the moments. Awesome to say the least, you soaked in benaras so well.

I had just been through Varanasi once, but never have been able to do a proper trip.

The food the ghats all were mesmerising. You seem to have a penchant for executing things well as I can see stocking thandai for holi, planning food outings skipping the hotel breakfast, and all worth it.

Rated 5 stars.

Last edited by xway : 5th May 2021 at 12:21. Reason: missed details
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
As-usual an exhaustive report from you.
Loved reading your detailed narration with so many beautiful pics.
I loved reading this post. Varanasi (erstwhile Banaras) has always been on my list however I never thought you can actually spend 5 days therefore to make most of it & having said that this will remain my go to whenever I'm planning it and I'm sure I'm going to include Lucknow as well for the amazing Galuti Kababs.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 21:10   #35
BHPian

I visited Varanasi, when I was there for the last Ardh Kumbh at Prayagraj. The roads leading to Varanasi are very small and not a place for cars, let alone something like a Innova. I was on a very tight schedule and missed out so many of the street food the place offers.

I plan to go back some time, I felt the place energizing and will explore a lot more on my next visit.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 21:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

What a wonderful read haisaikat, such detailing about a place which holds the candle to the world. Your travelogues are always so exhaustive that one doesn’t need anything else but to go through in its entirely at the first chance.

The amount of food pictures is just mind boggling and it certainly reminds my travels through the wonderful city. I specially liked the Blue Lassi shop pictures since not many people know the history behind the shop. You have just savoured all that the holy city has to offer and that’s commendable.

Keep travelling and thanks for sharing this log with us. In these tough times, Some past travels do bring a smile. Sharing one picture from my past collection,

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-f4aa9395241a4ddcb21b0d83db3a8db3.jpeg

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 13:40   #37
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue. Very refreshing at a time when all of us are confined within four walls. Varanasi has always been close to my heart. Visited this place many times and every time I felt refreshed. This place has something special. The Ghats, Crowded roads and alleys, Ganga aarti, Subah-e-Banaras... you ask for anything and varanasi will not disappoint you. Whenever I visit varanasi I prefer to stay at Hotel City Inn and Hotel Buddha. Both the hotals have secured parking which otherwise is a bit difficult to find if you plan to stay near the ghats. Thank you one again for giving me an opportunity to travel back in time and relish my memories.

Rated 5 Stars.

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-4.jpg

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-9.jpg

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-122.jpg

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-dsc_0257.jpg
Sujoy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 03:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I specially liked the Blue Lassi shop pictures since not many people know the history behind the shop.
That is indeed some great appreciations, thank you for the complements. So Bahon also conquered Varanasi it seems, indeed you seem to have all-India permit as some vagabond BHPian once said . Also the picture from the boat is a great example of night photography.

Here is one more notable thing about the Blue Lassi Shop, the alley (gali) right in front of it leads to Manikarnika Ghat. So while one is waiting inside the shop sitting in their age old Sofa-cum bed covered with blankets hiding their degraded upholstery (perfect retro styling) and savoring the grand lassi, it is almost imperative that you will eventually observe at least one cremation party headed towards the Ghat. It makes one realize the extremes life has to offer right at the blink of an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
The roads leading to Varanasi are very small and not a place for cars
Not all the roads leading to Varanasi are narrow, some are wide too. My last visit to Varanasi was in 1999 and after 22 years I see a there is lot of difference, it has become more organized with roads and infrastructure improved.

On the way to ghats from Godowlia crossing, there are at least 1-2 Shopping Malls I saw in final stages of construction. Yes the roads become more congested as you near the Ghats so cars may slow down while it becomes a 2-wheeler territory. But strictly no vehicles are allowed after a certain point when approaching ghats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
I never thought you can actually spend 5 days therefore to make most of it & having said that this will remain my go to whenever I'm planning it and I'm sure I'm going to include Lucknow as well for the amazing Galuti Kababs.
Thank you for the complements. You would not believe that we had felt the need to add 2 more days in Varanasi on top of this to make the trip complete. We had to skip Allahabad for that reason and we could not actually drop by at a few of the renowned Ghats and had to just pass them at a distance, even we skipped Ramnagar Fort.

Also practically we saw that Lucknow is 3+ hours each way so I do not think it can be a day trip from Varanasi unless we make it extremely hectic, better be covered in 2N-3D plan at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
I can see stocking thandai for holi, planning food outings skipping the hotel breakfast, and all worth it.
Thank you for the rating and good words shared. The planning part was left mainly to the capable ladies of the group (special mention to our friend Baisakhi) and they executed it wonderfully. Most of the things worked out great, but there were hiccups too but thankfully not many.

One other thing that worked out to our advantage was the location of the Hotel Ganges Grand, everything was at a stone's throw from Godowlia Crossing, we did not regret staying in a hotel at some distance from Ghats or even without direct Ganges view. But yes if we were travelling with elders having restricted mobility then different options could have been evaluated prioritizing view over proximity to the happening places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
Such a detailed travelogue, replete with beautiful pictures, reference videos and fluid commentary.
Thank you for the kind words, glad you liked, took almost more than a month to compile and arrange the entire account of the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
we can safely assume that the virus is here to stay for a long time.
Every morning we wake up in these times is a gift, so better spent wisely. Hopefully I was able to contribute to the tourism industry of the place while maintaining safety protocols for myself and family. Noted your concern, thankfully we are safe and wish you and your family are safe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
I prefer to stay at Hotel City Inn and Hotel Buddha.
Many thanks for the rating and the complements. Missing your ventures post the Puri thread, hope to see them again soon. The photos you posted are great and bears your signature - low light wonders, something I noticed in the Puri thread too. Keep travelling and stay safe.

I made a note of the two hotels. thanks for sharing.

Few more clicks from Varanasi and one short clip of the Aarti

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-file_002-3.jpeg

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-file_006-2.jpeg

Lost in Varanasi - An Innova Crysta Venture-file_071-1.jpeg

haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:11   #39
BHPian

Fantastic post! Though I visited in 2019, reading your travelogue, need to make another trip to experience many things I missed
Nagesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed