Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 18:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Zanskar and Pangi Valley | Drive to the unknown in my Endeavour 4x4

What a detailed travelogue. Goosebumps. This is the justice given to the Ford Endeaver.

Your detailed planning has worked very well. One thing I loved (which is equally scary) is most of the time you were alone on the route. I have experienced this in 2019 while returning from Leh to Sri Nagar in a day on my RE Himalayan. It is an amazing, satisfying and equally scary feeling.

You also had good company which matters a lot in terrains like these under unexpected circumstances as the distance to time relativity under normal condition isn't applicable in this terrain.

It will be one of the most cherished travelogues for everyone here!!
Basically being in Himalayas is a beautiful feeling and travelling to such serene places is next level feeling.

super fun to read this. Wishing to be there one day. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 18:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
This line made me a bit unhappy. Hope I can go back once before this happens.

A few pictures of our humble Bolero from that trip. It does not look anywhere close to the stunning Endeavour!
Thanks. Due to aggression from neighboring countries, the present government has ramped upto border roads construction, so now you can drive even to the remotest places.
With the Kargil - Padum Road being declared a national highway, the road is being widened and with the new connection from Darcha, Padum will see more tourists and perhaps become the next Leh in upcoming years.

Doesn't matter what car you drive, the journey is more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Very well written travelogue...!!

I did a Mumbai-Leh trip with friends in 2016 and with family in 2018 in my 2.2L mHawk Xylo E9.

During your trip down this less travelled road, any place where you felt that 4x4 is a must of even a decently powered SUV without 4x4 can also do all the routes including the Pangi-Kishtwar route in a 4x2 combination ?
The 2.2L mHawk is a gem of an engine. Had the same in my XUV5OO.

Regarding requirement of 4wd, I have mentioned some details in post #21 and #23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaj View Post
Wow, this is an amazing travelogue. The route is something that needs to be experienced. Loved the pictures and your experience all through. You literally walked us through your journey. You have got a great team in which Endeavour is one.
Thanks for appreciating. Yes the Endeavour is my true companion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Lovely travelogue. Thanks for sharing. Looks like downhill will be too steep..carrying right amount of speed is very vital to take that U safely Looking at the pic, thoughts of wheels losing traction at downslope gives shivers
Thanks for the kind words.
Driving skills is what matter in any vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
What a detailed travelogue. Goosebumps. This is the justice given to the Ford Endeaver.

Your detailed planning has worked very well. One thing I loved (which is equally scary) is most of the time you were alone on the route. I have experienced this in 2019 while returning from Leh to Sri Nagar in a day on my RE Himalayan. It is an amazing, satisfying and equally scary feeling.
Thanks for sharing. Yes these are lonely part of the Himalayas. But thats the fun.
Leh to Srinagar is very busy nowadays. Next time try Pangong to Chushul or Agham - Shyok route.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 7th June 2021 at 19:10.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The 2.2L is a gem of an engine.

Regarding requirement of 4wd, I have mentioned some details in post 21 and 23.
I happened to read those posts after i posted my message. Thanks for the same.

Quote:

Leh to Srinagar is very busy. Next time try Pangong to Chushul or Agham - Shyok route.
Shyok river route has been completely tarred now. Most of the taxis and private vehicles going to Pangong from Diskit take the same route. Pangong to Chushul gave me goose bumps, especially on my 2018 trip with family. Fortunately, I was accompanied by a local taxi who had a Major and his family as passengers and hence traversing the road till Hanle (Nyoma Bend, i guess) was a bit relaxing. Further to Hanle, those 56 kms and no other soul on the road till i reached Hanley was another experience.

Had a memorable experience in 2012 trip when my Bullet broke down at 17K feet at Wari La. 3-4 riders from our group were stranded for close to 8 hours until one of our friend went back from Sakti village along with the tool kit and the mech we took along was also stranded with others at Wari La.

Amazing memories...
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post

Shyok river route has been completely tarred now. Most of the taxis and private vehicles going to Pangong from Diskit take the same route. Pangong to Chushul gave me goose bumps, especially on my 2018 trip with family.
Yes most of the routes in Ladakh and the entire Himalayan range in India is being tarred by BRO, as per planning from the Central government. Wari la and Agham route was opened sometime in 2012.

I had done a long 18 day trip to Ladakh in my XUV5OO in 2015 and covered Marsimik la, Chushul, Hanle, Tsoriri, Zojila etc. We entered from Sach pass in Himachal. And that's when I realized that I need a 4x4. However as I mentioned earlier, most of the roads are drivable by 4x2 vehicles and 4x4 is just an added advantage.
Old 7th June 2021, 21:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to add one video. This is the video for driving on ice just before the Shinkula pass.

Enjoy the cracking sound.

ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:43   #36
BHPian

Loved the way you wrote and the pics are amazing! This travelogue git published just at the right time while I was thinking of a spiti valley trip. I might do this circuit from Bangalore either in an EcoSport or a XUV500 next month. Glad that you're putting the Endeavour to full use!
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The vehicles that you mentioned are super vehicles for this terrain.

It will be a peace of cake for your dad, especially in these vehicles.

Nurla means you will go from the new Singe la route. This is remaining for me to explore. In fact there are about 4 passes here and Singe la is the highest.
Yes, that is correct. We will be crossing Singe La.

However, this sounds like a good alternative too, to go towards Kashmir instead of Leh. Hopefully, we will plan this sometime.

Thank you again.
adhd92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Loved the way you wrote and the pics are amazing! This travelogue git published just at the right time while I was thinking of aI might do this circuit from Bangalore either in an EcoSport or a XUV500 next month. Glad that you're putting the Endeavour to full use!
Thanks.
Both cars are equally competent and good.
The XUV5OO has more driving pleasure and obviously will offer more space. The only thing that you have to be careful is the underbody plastic in the front which is about 170-180 mm. from the ground and always get hit. Nothing happens as its just plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhd92 View Post
However, this sounds like a good alternative too, to go towards Kashmir instead of Leh. Hopefully, we will plan this sometime.
Thank you again.
If you come out from Single la or from Dras, you can exit directly from Srinagar side without touching Leh. That is exactly what we did as we had less time. In fact we even bypassed Kargil by taking the Umba la direct route to Dras.
Old 8th June 2021, 15:22   #39
BHPian

Hi, a great travelogue to read. I always dream of doing such a trip but I guess I am not getting that lucky.
Such kind of a trip definitely needs a lot of preplanning and good luck for all your plans to fall in place. Its also equally important that you have the right company and seems like you certainly had. Just imagine what kind of an information source your travelogue has created for potential trippers to that region. Kudos to you guys.
I really got goose bumps watching the cliffhanger drive video. Just out of curiosity, how would you tackle if there was a similar sized vehicle coming from the opposite side. What is the general understanding to pass each other safely.
And the F O R D certainly deserves a special applause. A very capable SUV indeed.
Happy tripping.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 8th June 2021 at 15:28.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 18:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Such kind of a trip definitely needs a lot of preplanning and good luck for all your plans to fall in place. Its also equally important that you have the right company and seems like you certainly had.
Yes the company was very good and we complemented each other well. Dharmesh had accompanied me on many such trips, while Ashish was first time with us. On such trips, you need like minded and adjusting people because facilities are limited and mindset can change at high altitude.

Quote:
Just imagine what kind of an information source your travelogue has created for potential trippers to that region. Kudos to you guys.
Yes that is the idea. I wanted to write not only about my experience but also detailed information for the next traveler. Although things are changing so fast, the information will still be useful.

Quote:
I really got goose bumps watching the cliffhanger drive video. Just out of curiosity, how would you tackle if there was a similar sized vehicle coming from the opposite side. What is the general understanding to pass each other safely.
At certain parts of the road there are sections for passing, but you have to be lucky to be close to it or else you will have to reverse. Somewhere after Kargiak village, a large BRO truck came in front of us head on. And the only option was for us to reverse. I had to reverse for almost 50 metres which is pretty long on such sections with curves, slopes and loose dirt down.
All over Himachal, there are quite a few such roads. However the current government has taken a stand and improved most of the roads.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 8th June 2021 at 18:49.
Old 8th June 2021, 19:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Bookmarked this for my future reference.

What a brilliant travelogue. It just made my day.
You had the perfect vehicle for this terrain. The narration, the pictures backed up by the occasional video's just made it a perfect read.

Rated 5*
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

A small video which explains the route via Shinkula with distances.
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Update on NPD road.

As per latest reports, the 297 km. long Nimmu-Padam-Darcha (NPD) highway, is expected to be completed in 2023-24. It highlights the efforts by India, which have been redoubled after the latest tensions, to develop key infrastructure - roads, tunnels, bridges and airfields, along the unsettled border with China.

Major details of the road can be read here (August 2020 report): https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...978-2020-08-22

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 22nd June 2021 at 07:59.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:57   #44
BHPian

Awesome, I loved the video explaining the route in detail, thank you so much for that. A very detailed travelogue with lot of useful information.

Your details day by day log and route taken was amazing and very well written. I am sure the planning and detailed work in executing it would have taken lot off effort at back end.

The mighty Ford Endeavour, has been put to use where it should actually belong, and I am sure she must have felt at home.

Thank you once again for sharing this beautiful travelogue. And yes I am subscribing to your "A Nomad on Wheels" YouTube channel.

keep sharing brother and keep travelling.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Awesome, I loved the video explaining the route in detail, thank you so much for that. A very detailed travelogue with lot of useful information.
Your details day by day log and route taken was amazing and very well written. I am sure the planning and detailed work in executing it would have taken lot off effort at back end.
Thanks for appreciating. Planning time was shorter than time taken to write about the trip. I was surprised to know certain things about the trip, when I was actually writing about the place. The idea was to share historical and geographical info about the place and not only my experience.

Quote:
The mighty Ford Endeavour, has been put to use where it should actually belong, and I am sure she must have felt at home.
Yes that is the territory of the Endeavour and that is what I bought it for.

Quote:
And yes I am subscribing to your "A Nomad on Wheels" YouTube channel.
keep sharing brother and keep travelling.
'A Nomad on Wheels' is not my channel. I shared it here with credit to the owner, so that all those interested travelers get a glimpse about the actual route as Googlemaps still does not show it.
My channel is 'RMB'.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 22nd June 2021 at 13:57.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks