Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 21:39   #1
BHPian

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne

I am enclosing my experience during an Australia trip in 2019 which included a drive from Sydney to Melbourne and back. We visited the MCG to watch a cricket match and also the Rod Laver Arena to watch an Australian Open tennis match.

A Summer Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Part 1

Hi friends,

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe. This is my first ever post on Team BHP. I have been an ardent follower of this site since I bought my second car (a Honda Jazz Vx iDTEC for the record) in 2015.I follow most of the ownership reviews and travelogues and have always wanted to pen one myself but never could muster the time and effort. And when I finally managed to write one, it turned out to be quite a difficult task to gain entry into the Team BHP fold. But in the end, managed to successfully execute both endeavours. So, here goes my story. Hopefully, this one will be worth your while.

I am a doctor (Obstetrician Gynaecologist and Laparoscopic Surgeon) based at Kottayam, Kerala. My wife’s brother (Sajan Joseph) is an engineer and works in the power sector in Sydney, Australia. We are both keen sports fans and follow tennis and cricket. I had first visited Australia along with my family in May, 2016 and it was a fantastic experience. At the time, we had tentatively discussed attending the Australian Open Grand Slam tennis tournament. We finally decided to do the trip in January 2019. My wife and daughter had visited Australia in April 2018. So it was decided that I would go alone as it would be difficult to explain to our school to grant a week’s holiday for my daughter to attend the Australian Open.

The Australian open 2019 was scheduled to be held from 14th to 27th January at Melbourne. As it transpired, the Men in Blue(Indian Cricket Team, for the uninitiated ones) were touring Australia at the same time and the ODI series was going on. The third ODI was being held at the MCG at Melbourne on 18th January, right in the middle of our trip. So we decided to watch the ODI as well. Talk about being in the right place at the right time, literally!

The visit was for one week from 15th to 22nd January. To make the trip memorable, we thought of driving down from Sydney to Melbourne instead of taking a flight. My brother in law’s wife’s cousin (Ajetha) and her husband (Roshan) are also based in Sydney and they were also keen for the trip. As it was summertime with scorching temperatures and because of work commitments, Sajan’s family decided to skip the trip. So finally, there were four of us doing the journey.

I had booked the flight tickets in Air Asia in June 2018 itself. The fares were high as it was summer vacation in Australia with lot of people journeying out from Australia to their homes and cooler destinations. I applied for the tourist visa online and the process went smoothly without any hassles. The visa cost came to 140 Australian dollars(approx.Rs.7200).

The flight was from Kochi International Airport at 2310 on 15th January. Kottayam to Kochi Airport is around 82 kms and takes around two to two and a half hours by cab depending on traffic conditions.

Check in and immigration was smooth. The Sabarimala season had concluded the previous day (Makaravilakku) and to my surprise, more than half the passengers were Ayyappa devotees from Malaysia. The flight was on time and the first leg was a four hour flight to Kuala Lumpur. I vividly remember the cries of ‘Swamiye Saranamayyappa’ as the flight was accelerating for take-off and just after landing. Goosebump evoking stuff!

The flight landed at KLIA at 0530 local time. The next flight to Sydney was at 0855. As Air Asia is based on KLIA2 terminal, there was no need to change terminals. The second flight was also on time, a long one at eight hours. It was comfortable, although there was lot of turbulence over Indonesia (I am not a fan of turbulence ). Thankfully, the two seats next to me were empty, so I could take a nap during the flight. During landing, the pilot had to abort the landing midway through the first try, due to some runway issue, giving us all a scare but the second attempt at landing went perfectly. I landed at 2030 local time. Immigration took a while but finally I stepped outside the airport and into Sajan's i20. THE TRIP WAS ON!

As the duration of my trip was short, we decided to start for Melbourne the next day morning itself. We wanted to start by 4am. I repacked the luggage in a backpack and hit the bed by 12 midnight.

There are multiple routes from Sydney to Melbourne. The easiest way is to take the highway (M31-also known as Hume highway) which is 878 km long and takes around 9 hours.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-m31.png

We, however decided to take the longer route, the coastal highway (Princes highway or A1) which is 1036 km long and takes around 12 hours 30 mins. It travels through many small towns and is much more scenic, hugging the coast with stretches through mountains and plains in between. The M31 was selected for the return trip.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-a1.png

The itinerary of our trip was like this.

17/1/19

Drive from Sydney to Melbourne via the Princes Highway(A1)

18/1/19

Explore Melbourne and watch the 3rd ODI between India and Australia at the MCG

19/1/19

Explore Melbourne and attend the night session of Australian open at the Rod Laver Arena

20/1/19

Drive back from Melbourne to Sydney via the Hume Highway(M31)

17/1/19

We managed to start by 0430.I was jetlagged but even more excited. Roshan, who was driving, admitted to just 2 hours sleep the previous night. Sajan and Roshan had stocked up on the necessary snacks and soft drinks the previous night. We got some ice for the ice box, filled the fuel tank to the brim and off we went!

Our ride was a Mazda 6 sedan, Roshan’s car. It is a fantastic vehicle. It munched up the miles quickly while keeping us in maximum comfort.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-mazda-6.jpg

At 0430 hrs, we had a clear ride out of Sydney. The road till Woollongong was a four-lane highway. There was fog obscuring the roads near Woolloongong but we made good progress. At one stretch, the road was downhill for almost 5 miles. Cars could go at 80 km/hr but buses and trucks were restricted to 40 km/hr in the leftmost lane. Australia, like India, has RHD vehicles.

We took a break near Bateman’s Bay at a MacDonald’s outlet around 7 am. We had coffee and moved on.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-batemans-bay.jpg

The plan was to stop at Narooma, a small coastal town for breakfast. Narooma is 347 km away from Sydney and we expected to reach around 10 AM.

The roads after our break were two laned. Every 5 km, an overtaking lane would open up on either side for 1 or 2 kms, and overtaking was possible only in these places. The speed limit on these roads varied from 80-110 km barring stretches where road work was going on, where it came down to 40-60km.There were not many vehicles on the roads but every one of them maintained the speed limit; so we could go fast as well.

The driving manners in Australia is something worth mentioning. Traffic rules are fastidiously obeyed (there are hefty fines if you don’t). People maintain lane discipline, overtake only in the designated areas. Nobody uses horns. All vehicles go uniformly fast, whether old or new, whether cars or trucks. There are road signs everywhere, clear and precise. They put warnings even at places where speed cameras are installed giving people time to slow down. Wonder when we will have these driving manners in India.

We reached Narooma around 10.30 am. We had toast, eggs and bacon for breakfast and then looked around a bit. It is a quaint little seaside town with a lot of tourist footfall.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-narooma.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-breakfast-narooma.jpg

There is a lookout point with a good view of the Pacific Ocean. We walked down from the viewpoint and saw Australia Rock (a rock formation which looks like Australia). At the breakwaters, we also saw some seals sunbathing. As it was getting late, we got going.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-narooma-panoramic-view.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-narooma-seals.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-australia-rock.jpg

We continued our journey and Sajan took the wheel. Our next stop was supposed to be at a town called Lakes Entrance where we planned to have lunch.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-after-narooma.jpg

We stopped at a town called Aden (131 km from Narooma) for a coffee break. It has a lookout point over sea at a place called Twofold Bay. This bay was once famous for whaling. We saw a cruise ship anchored in the bay and saw lot of tourists. There is also a killer whale museum in town but due to lack of time we skipped it.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-aden-twofold-bay.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-aden-cruise-ship.jpg

We resumed our journey. Lakes Entrance is 242 km from Eden and maps showed an arrival time of 1530. Ajetha drove for the next 100 km or so before Roshan took over.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-between-eden-lakes-entrance.jpg

We needed to tank up, so stopped at the next gas station which was at a town called Cann River (110km from Eden). By now it was around 1445 and we were behind schedule. We had not encountered any good eateries since leaving Eden, so decided to have a late lunch.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-burger-lunch-cann-river.jpg

Melbourne was still 446 km away and it was 1530 when we started. The roads were empty now and we were encountering vehicles at the rate of one every 5 km. The ride was smooth and fast and although the temptation was there, we religiously kept to the speed limit. It was a cloudy day with pleasant weather. We entertained ourselves with ’20 questions’ and Punjabi music.

We finally reached Lakes Entrance by around 1700 hours. As the name implies, there is a lake around which the town is situated. There is a beach nearby which we can access by crossing the lake on a footbridge.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-lakes-entrance-4.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-lakes-entrance-2.jpg

Before coming to Australia, I had read that many beaches had been closed off due to jellyfish invasion. We managed to see lots of jellyfishes in the lake. The beach was beautiful but we were 2 hours behind schedule, so did not linger.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-lakes-entrance-beach.jpg

We had a coffee break and started the last lap. The last 321 km would run mainly through the plains. We were all tired by now so except the person who was driving (Sajan), the rest took a power nap. The highway was arrow straight, up to 5 to 10 km at stretches, with gentle curves. We suspected the curves were there to keep the drivers alert than for any alignment reasons.

Some of the sections had woods on both sides. My friends told me that evening is the best time to see kangaroos as they come out of the woods. We kept an eye out but did not see any.

Around 2030, we reached Traralgon (163 km from Melbourne). This was summertime and the days were long. Sunset was around 2030 at Sydney and even later at Melbourne. So, there was still daylight left. We took a comfort break at a Macdonald’s. Nobody was hungry. So we started the home run, with Roshan in the driver’s seat.

After Traralgon, the Princes Highway joins with the M1 and becomes a four-lane highway. The rest of the drive was uneventful and we reached Melbourne by around 2215. The Mazda 6 is such a good car. We were so comfortable during the journey. The inbuilt navigation was as good as google maps.

The M1 deserves special mention. Till around 50 km from Melbourne, it is a four-lane highway with hardly any illumination. Around 30 km from Melbourne, it becomes a six-lane brightly lit highway and around 10 km from Melbourne, it becomes an eight-lane highway. The speed limit remains at 100 km/hr and despite the increase in traffic as we reach the city, we can comfortably travel at 80 – 100kmh. Lane discipline is exceptional. There are no toll booths. When we enter or take an exit, e tolls are automatically deducted (the toll cameras are illuminated purple at night).

We entered the city after rush hour. Roshan was driving in Melbourne for the first time and was understandably nervous. As Melbourne has trams, they have the ‘hook turn’ at some intersections. Here instead of staying in the right lane to turn right, you turn into the left lane, stay in the left lane till the space provided in the middle of the intersection and then turn right once you have green lights. It was confusing and took us two to three intersections to get it right.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-hook-turn.jpg

Name:  hook TURN.png
Views: 3764
Size:  4.0 KB

We had booked an apartment via Airbnb. We got the keys from the pickup point and proceeded to Eastern Docklands, where it was situated. On the way, Roshan took a wrong turn and we found ourselves on the tram tracks and almost into a tram station. Thankfully, there were no trams or people or vehicles around and we reversed out. The tram lines were slightly elevated from street level and while getting back on the road, the underside of the car hit the kerb and made a horrible noise. Thankfully, everything felt ok and the car drove well. We reached the apartment around midnight without further incident.The view from the apartment was spectacular and had to be seen to be believed.However, we were all bone weary and just hit the bed.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-view-flatnight.jpg

18/1/19

We got up at 0900 hours and it was another 45 minutes before we got ready for breakfast. We were on the 33rd floor of the apartment and the view was stunning.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-view-flat.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-our-airbnb-apartment-building.jpg

We took a brief morning walk around the quayside. There were a few cafes nearby. We had a classic Australian breakfast.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-breakfast-d2.jpg

After breakfast, we decided to explore a bit and then go to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) to watch the ODI, which would start at 1pm. Due to our adventures in the city the previous night, we decided to avoid driving and use public transport. Trams are the best way to get around Melbourne CBD and there was a tram station nearby. Melbourne has a free tram zone. In a designated area within the Melbourne CBD, travel by trams is free. During Australian Open, tram travel till Melbourne Park (venue of the Australian Open tennis tournament) is free, if you have a valid ticket to watch tennis at any of the show courts. MCG is located adjacent to Melbourne Park, so we did not have to spend anything or travel on that day. All Australian cities have different travel cards (Opel in Sydney, Myki in Melbourne), which we have to swipe on while entering public transport and swipe off while getting off. Travel beyond a certain limit per day is free ($8.80 in Melbourne).

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-trams-melbourne.jpg

We got into a tram at the Eastern Docklands station and got down at the Flinder’s Street station. MCG and Melbourne Park are around a km walk from there and we roamed the area, taking in the sights.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-flinders-park-station.jpg

We proceeded towards MCG. It was again an overcast day but the weather was pleasant . We reached the ground and walked around it. MCG is simply, HUGE! There are 7 gates with one reserved for members. I was watching a cricket match at a ground for the first time and it was impressive. There were lots of Indians among the spectators. The crowd, the atmosphere, the roar every time an Indian player hit a boundary or when an Australian wicket fell was all something unique and is difficult to put down in words. The sound of the bat hitting the ball is so different when you hear it in a stadium. There is a sports museum inside the MCG and during the interval, I went there. Unfortunately, it had just closed. There were various food options inside and outside the stadium. Australia batted first and posted a competitive total on a slow pitch.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-mcg-2.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-mcg-6.jpg

The second half of the match turned out to be a cliff hanger and we got our money’s worth. The match went till the final over.MS Dhoni and Kedhar Jadhav won it for India by 6 wickets.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-mcg-5.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-mcg-4.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-outside-mcg-2.jpg

It was around 2200 hours when we got out of the stadium as there were lot of celebrations going on. We walked to Flinder’s Street and went to a pub for some refreshments.

We had a late dinner at a nearby Indian restaurant and managed to catch what must have been the last tram to Eastern Docklands. We reached our apartment around 0130 hours and promptly hit the bed.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2021 at 05:34. Reason: Spacing
sushanthys is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 09:39   #2
BHPian

re: A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Contd..

A Summer Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Part 2

19/1/19

I managed to get up around 0800 hours. As Ajetha and Roshan were not much interested in tennis, they wanted to give the Australian Open a miss. They wanted to go sightseeing in Melbourne and go to the beach at St.Kilda in the evening to watch penguins. Myself and Sajan got ourselves ready and left the apartment at 0845. Our plan was to roam Melbourne in the morning and go to Melbourne park in the afternoon.
It was a warm day with clear blue skies and bright sunshine (we would recognize the implications later). We decided to go to Victoria market first. You can get virtually anything there. It was outside the free tram zone in the Melbourne CBD.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-victoria-market-2.jpg

We bought a few knick-knacks. We skipped breakfast and travelled randomly in trams;got on and off wherever we felt like. Melbourne is such a beautiful city. Lots of greenery, wide avenues and spotless, clean pavements. Despite it being a weekend, there was hardly any rush on the streets. Photographs do not do justice to what we saw.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-melbourne-6.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-melbourne-5.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-melbourne-7.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-melbourne.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-melbourne8.jpg

By 1100 hours, we were hungry and started looking for cafes. We ended up having burgers and milk shake. The salted caramel milkshake was so yum.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-breakfast-melbourne-d2.jpg

We proceeded to Flinder’s Street station and visited the attractions nearby such as Federation square and St Paul’s Cathedral. While walking around, we saw a street lined with graffiti. It turned out to be Hosier Lane and we clicked pictures.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-hosier-street2.jpg

By this time, it was 1300 hours and it was time to go to Melbourne Park. We had a ticket for the evening session and would be allowed to enter inside only after 5 pm. We thought we would take a day pass and roam around Melbourne Park. A day pass will give you access to all courts except the three show courts (Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena and Melbourne Arena, formerly known as Hisense Arena). To reach Melbourne Park, we had to walk along the Yarra river and it was beautiful.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-yarra-river.jpg

When we went to purchase the day pass, they asked us to wait saying the grounds were at full capacity. We had to wait almost half an hour before they issued us with our tickets.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-outside-melbourne-park-2.jpg

Melbourne is a green city with lots of trees. But Melbourne Park is an open area with hardly any tree cover. It was high noon and the heat was unbelievable! The air was dry with no humidity and the breeze was cool. But the heat! I have experienced the moist, muggy heat of Chennai, the dry, draining heat of Rayalaseema and the very dry, desiccating heat of New Delhi. This was at a wholly different level. It was like somebody was directing a blowtorch towards you. The UV index that day was in the extreme range, the maximum possible and there were booths giving away sunscreen (SPF 50+) for free. They were even handing out free caps and hats! But despite all that, the heat was difficult to tolerate. And it was so crowded. I have never seen so many people congregated at a single place in Australia before or since.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-crowd-australian-open-2.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-australian-open.jpg

After taking a walk around the venue, we were exhausted. The heat and the crowd meant we couldn’t get into any of the courts. Finally, we went to an open-air amphitheatre where there was some shade with cold air blowers and a concert scheduled at 1500 hours. We rested for a while and decided to go back to our apartment as there was no point in staying there. We could not enjoy a tennis match in that heat. Mind you, we had a whole new respect for the tennis players who were playing world class tennis in such tough conditions. We decided to come back after 1700 hours.
We took the tram back to our apartment and slept for 2 hours like dead men. We woke up around 1830 and went back to Melbourne Park. Now the temperature had dropped and the weather was very pleasant. We went to Rod Laver Arena and the match had started.
The evening sessions at Rod Laver Arena usually features the top players. There are two matches, a men’s and women’s match each. We were hoping to watch Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic in action (the best three players in the world at the moment). But the vagaries of the draw were such that we ended up watching Alexander Zverev (Germany) vs Jason Bolt (the former the world no.4, the latter an Aussie in the top 100 who had done well to reach the 3rd round). The women’s match was between Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) and Camilla Giorgi (Italy) (The world no.4 vs the world no.29)
Rod Laver Arena is a tennis stadium and obviously not as big as the MCG. But I was still surprised at the size and scale of the place. We were in the top tier but the sound of the racket on the ball was clear to us and much different from what we hear on TV. Again, it is a completely different experience watching a sports event live in a stadium and I could now understand why football fans flock to the grounds for live matches. Jason Bolt who played the first match was an Australian, hence every time he won a point, the roar in the arena had to be seen and heard to be believed. However, Alexander Zverev was in a wholly different league altogether and he won the match comfortably in straight sets.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-rod-laver-1.jpg

The match between the women was a much closer affair. Melbourne has lot of Italians and they supported Camilla Giorgi whole heartedly. As it was not a match with high TRP ratings, lot of seats were empty and we could move forward and watch the match from much closer to the court. The match went 3 sets and despite frequent cries of ‘Andiamo, Bella’, Karolina Pliskova was the steadier player down the stretch and the worthy winner.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-rod-laver-arena-court-2.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-rod-laver-2.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-rod-laver-4.jpg

The match finished by around 2300 hours. We got the tram back to the docklands and our apartment. We had some fish and chips during the match and skipped dinner as a result. Roshan had got the car out and had checked it and found that all was good. We decided to start for Sydney by 0600 the next day.

20/1/19

We had kept our alarms for 0500. But whether because our alarms did not ring or we were too tired, we got up only at 0630 hours. We hustled and managed to leave by 0715. We had to drop off our apartment keys at the designated shop which was an all-night convenience store, only to find that it was closed. After lot of cajoling, the nearby deli took our keys for safe-keeping, all of which took another half an hour, so we started our trip only by 0745.
The trip out of Melbourne CBD was uneventful. The Sunday morning traffic was light and we were on the M31 within half an hour. We settled in for the long drive ahead. Roshan took the first turn driving. Our first stop was at a town called Euroa which is 164 km from Melbourne. We stopped for food and fuel which took an hour. We had breakfast from Oliver’s and it was surprisingly good.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-fueling-up-euroa.jpg

I had not driven so far in this trip since I was jet lagged and tired during the onward journey. Now Roshan and Sajan asked me whether I wanted to drive and boy oh boy, I was not going to give up on an opportunity like that! I strapped myself in with a bit of trepidation and we set off.
You can drive in Australia if you hold a valid Indian driver’s license and know the rules. Sajan had sent me a manual on Australian driving rules and although I had not gone through it completely, I knew the basic rules of driving in Australia. Plus I was driving on the highway exclusively and did not have to worry about the intricacies of city driving.
On the highway, the speed limit varies between 80 to 110 km with speeds dropping up to 40kmh at stretches where road work is going on. But on most stretches, it is 110kmh. And you should remember that every vehicle travels at 110kmh, whether cars, buses, trucks or camper trailers, whether old or new. It is not like Indian highways where cars travel at 100kmh and trucks and buses hover around 50kmh. The traffic is concentrated on the left lane with the fast lane used only for overtaking. Lane discipline is excellent. And the overtaking is something which is not for the faint hearted. Imagine overtaking a vehicle which is cruising at 110kmh. In India, overtaking in highways hardly takes 5 to 10 seconds. In Australia, you need 20 to 30 seconds and sometimes you have to go at 120kmh and have to make sure you reach a safe distance from the other vehicle before you swing back into the slow lane. Based on my limited experience, Australian drivers do not slow down even when they are being overtaken and maintain the same speed. And they don’t use horns.Though it is a good thing, it can sometimes be disconcerting to find a large vehicle suddenly inching across you in your adjacent lane. There was a proximity alert warning on the ORVMs of the Mazda 6 and it came quite handy during the drive.
After the initial butterflies, the driving part was quite fun. Mazda 6 is a good car to drive, with all the bells and whistles and then some. Driving position is on the higher side but I felt the steering wheel was a tad small and the steering feedback was not as responsive as that of a Honda. But it was a powerful car and the big turbo diesel ensured that overtaking was not a problem. The automatic transmission was always in the right power band and I never had to use the sports mode. The big 225/45 R17 wheels ensured a stable ride and the suspension was awesome, with hardly any undulation creeping into the cabin.
I realised that I was driving well when both my rear passengers fell asleep. Sajan gave me company in the front seat and made sure I was alert with regular conversations. The scenery was beautiful, though a little monotonous. The traffic was light. At areas, the highway median was wider than the road itself.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-m31.jpg

I drove for 1 hour and 45 mins and covered 170km. The traffic was quite sparse. I could have driven some more but felt fatigued by then and hence stopped a little distance outside the twin cities of Wodonga and Albury. Sajan took over from me. It was another hot and sunny day and you needed a hat and sunglasses just to go outside. The back of my palms which were on the steering wheel and hence exposed to sunlight was tingling with a burning sensation by the time I stopped driving. Sajan who was wearing shorts was forced to take off his cap and cover his knees to avoid the burning sun.
I kept Sajan company during this stretch discussing sports trivia while passing the time. We planned to stop at Gundagai for lunch and reached there by 1400 hrs(179 km from Albury). The drive was unlike the coastal highway with hardly any change in terrain or scenery. We stopped at a gas station for refreshments but as none of us were really hungry,we decided to skip lunch.

Roshan took over. We were 377 km from home. On the way, is a small town called Bowral, which is the place were Sir Donald Bradman, the greatest cricketer ever(No offence meant to Sachin Tendulkar fans), grew up. There was a museum dedicated to the Don there, which was open till 1700 hours.We were keen to pay the place a visit. Bowral was 260 km from Gundagai. It needed a small detour from M31 but there was no significant difference in the travelling time to Sydney. We decided to take a chance and travel via Bowral.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bowral-sign.jpg

We reached the exit from M31 at 1630 but there was another 20 km to go and we were stuck behind a relatively slow-moving car. We reached Bowral at 1700 hours and literally ran inside the museum.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-hall-fame-bowral.jpg

The staff were initially reluctant to let us in as it was closing time. But the manager, a lady, on hearing our story allowed us to enter the museum. And she didn’t even charge us for tickets! The museum is worth visiting with lot of information regarding Australian cricket, Don Bradman, the Ashes, Kerry Packer’s World Series Cricket and so forth. They even have a section on Indian cricket and Virat Kohli. There were lot of interesting things to read inside the museum but we had to rush through. They also had a memorabilia section from where we made a few purchases.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-museum-12.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-museum-9.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-museum-7.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-museum-10.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-museum-13.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bowral-museum.jpg

We walked around Bowral. There was a small cricket ground next to the museum called Bradman Oval. It was so pretty and well maintained. The area around the museum was a residential area, so quiet and beautiful. There were two houses nearby where Bradman had lived. One of them had a water tank by its side. Legend says that Sir Don Bradman as a child used to bounce the ball on the side of the tank and play cricketing shots for hours on end, thus developing his phenomenal hand eye coordination. There is also a street named after Bradman.

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bradman-oval.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bradmans-house.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bowral-bradman-sign.jpg

A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne-bowral-street.jpg

After having coffee at a Macdonald’s, we set out for the last stretch. Sydney was 118 km away, a drive of I hour and 30 minutes. Near Campbelltown, the motorway passes through a stretch of forests. We found a fully grown Kangaroo run over on the road. There have been reports of Kangaroos suddenly darting into the roads full tilt and onto vehicles, causing accidents but we did not see any live animals. The rest of the drive was uneventful and we reached home in Sydney at 1945 hours.

Thus ends the story of our road-trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back. I am very grateful to Sajan and Roshan and Ajetha for a once in a lifetime experience. I would also like to thank Roshan for letting me drive his car (It can be unnerving for someone to drive in a foreign country). The whole experience is something which I will fondly remember for the rest of my life.
We split the expenses three-ways and my share came to around Rs.30,000.
The next day was spent in shopping. My return was planned on 22nd of January from Sydney. Myself and Sajan took the metro to reach the airport.
The flight was again by AirAsia at 1100 and on time. There were no hassles during check-in. The turbulence again was significant during the return journey but the flight landed on time at KLIA2.The flight to Kochi was after 4 hours and I slept completely through it. The flight landed at 2350 at Kochi and I took a cab home.
Great memories!

Last edited by sushanthys : 2nd August 2021 at 21:09. Reason: to make changes in the article
sushanthys is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 05:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:00   #4
BHPian

Re: A summer drive from Sydney to Melbourne

hi Moderators,

Thank you so much.

regards,

sushanth.y.s
Old 4th August 2021, 08:00   #5
BHPian

Nice travelogue. Next time when you take A1, consider paying a visit to Kiama Blowhole, you can skip to 4:40 .
I have been planning to drive from Sydney to Melbourne for long, due to sudden border closure and lockdowns , I do not have the courage to cross the state border
nandrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my trip from Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne and back direct, when my parents were visiting Australia. My wife and I shared the driving duties, and we took the main highway.

Not being locals to Melbourne, the hook turns in the CBD initially had me wondering as well, but thankfully we had the opportunity to watch how the others did it, and followed suit.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthys View Post
Great memories!
Nice travelogue! Lakes Entrance doesn't seem to have changed a bit since how I remember seeing it back in 2007!

OT Q: When did Roshan move from Baroda to Australia? Seems to have put on a bit of weight too since I last saw him over half a decade ago. Say hi to him if you get to connect with him later. I seem to have lost all connect with him or the common group of friends we had.

P.s. It's a small world!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:14   #8
BHPian

It is indeed!

Will convey your regards to Roshan..

Thank you..

Stay safe..
Old 8th August 2021, 07:38   #9
BHPian

Thank you,nandrive.

If I get a chance to do it again,will surely check it out.

Regards.

Stay safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks