Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2007, 22:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

A visit to Temple of Thousand Pillars

This trip started very differently. We were supposed to drive along NH-17 distributing my brother-in-law’s wedding invitations to relatives who live along that road. So we packed, prepped both kids for the half day trip and started off at 1PM sharp. As we reached Udupi, my wife discovered that our invitation package was incomplete, we couldn’t possibly distribute that way. The full package was inaccessible until 4PM.

So we turned around and started driving back home. But it would be criminal to waste all the preparation. So we started thinking about some destination. First we decided the direction, the Karkala road. But how far? Wife shot down the Gomateshwara statue at Karkala since that would involve climbing hundreds of steps in hot sun with two small kids. Then she remembered a Temple of Thousand Pillars at Moodabidri. We didn’t know how far it was, but we didn’t really care. We made a brief stop at home to pick up the camera and tripod.

The road till Hiriadka was crowded (in rural sense) since the road also leads to Shimoga via Agumbe ghats. Once we passed Hiriadka, it was a pleasure to drive. Lush green scenery and winding roads, I maintained a 80ish speed at 5th gear. It was bliss. Karkala turned out to be 40Kms from our home. The road from Karkala to Moodabidri has a Ghat section and it was even better. However, my Baleno seems to be having a power delivery problem, it was under-revving and slowing down in inclines, something to check out later. Moodabidri was 18Kms Karkala.

Once we entered Moodabidri, we kept finding temples at every stone throw, we got thoroughly confused. This town has very narrow roads, U-turns or even parking was a hassle. Once we found some place to park, we found that we had passed the 1000 pillar temple. Turns out Moodabidri has 18 Jain temples of historical significance. Gosh!

This is the entrance on the inner wall.

Once we entered the temple, we found photography was banned inside, let alone tripod. I guess they don’t want the Nuclear secrets hidden in the carving to fall into wrong hands. Stupid rules!

The inside is big and beautiful, and every pillar is supposedly different from the other. We walked around the temple. This temple has one inner wall and one outer wall. Since the photography restriction was only inside, I decided to shoot out side.

The inner wall shot from outside.

I decided to cheat and shot an inner scene from outside.

More about Moodabidri here.
Wikimapia view from the top.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2007, 22:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai,

You're extremely lucky to stay in an area with heritage and an NH next door. If I go 50 kms from where I live, I can find wonderful traffic jams, awe-inspiring pollution and jaw-dropping potholes.

Great read, once again
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2007, 23:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics,very nice to go through your travelogues.

Quote:
You're extremely lucky to stay in an area with heritage and an NH next door. If I go 50 kms from where I live, I can find wonderful traffic jams, awe-inspiring pollution and jaw-dropping potholes.
I second that and salute your [including family's] adventurous spirit.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wife shot down the Gomateshwara statue at Karkala since that would involve climbing hundreds of steps in hot sun with two small kids.
Actually there is a road all the way to the top from behind the hill, but I guess the gates would have been closed in the afternoon.

Also, Moodabidri is called the Jain Kashi (atleast by the locals ) because of the number of ancient Jain temples and also because of its proxmity to other Jain sites (Karkala, Venur etc).
Old 14th May 2007, 08:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent trip and pics Samurai San, Finally you did the Manipal-Karkala stretch...

Quote:
But Maggie, if u go 50km anywhere around Bangalore, u will always hit a NH...and after 50km there is no potholes, pollution, trafic jams isnt it...

Abhi
Old 14th May 2007, 08:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Samurai San excellent short travelogue. place looks awesome. So you did this trip with the car not pulling up inclines?

Quote:
But Maggie, if u go 50km anywhere around Bangalore, u will always hit a NH...and after 50km there is no potholes, pollution, trafic jams isnt it...
akroy, you should know by now. With maggies navigational skills 50km is actually 5kms. lol!!!
Old 14th May 2007, 09:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
You see, 50 kms for me is typically a round trip So by the end of the 50th, I'd have gone thru the same set of conditions twice - potholes included.
Old 14th May 2007, 11:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. If anybody is interested, we drove by Byloor on the way to Karkala, that is Shilpa Shetty's native town. True fans among you can stop and take a deep breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Actually there is a road all the way to the top from behind the hill, but I guess the gates would have been closed in the afternoon.
Hmm, didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Also, Moodabidri is called the Jain Kashi (atleast by the locals ) because of the number of ancient Jain temples and also because of its proxmity to other Jain sites (Karkala, Venur etc).
Yes, the link I provided at the bottom gives lots of details about the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Samurai San excellent short travelogue. place looks awesome. So you did this trip with the car not pulling up inclines?
Yes, this time I noticed it more keenly. The car will be visiting the service center before any more trips.
Old 14th May 2007, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice Account

Hai Samurai,

Nice account and pictures.

Reminds me of the 1000 pillar temple at Trichy @ Sriramgam we visited 4 years back. I didn't have a camera handy that time.

Some devot Jains in my office were happy to see your pictures. Some of them had just been there for holidays for visiting the temple and missed 1000 pillar temple, they were short of time !!!!

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 14th May 2007 at 12:06.
Old 14th May 2007, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Excellent travelog as usual from you!

Quote - Once we entered the temple, we found photography was banned inside, let alone tripod. I guess they don’t want the Nuclear secrets hidden in the carving to fall into wrong hands. Stupid rules! - Unquote

Honestly, this seems to be the problem in most of the temples in India. Wonder why? It is very irritating! If the problem is 'flash' they can restrict photography to flashless pictures only like they have done it at Ellora Ajanta.

Old 14th May 2007, 12:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Some devote Jains in my office were happy to see your pictures. Some of them had just been there for holidays for visiting the temple and missed 1000 pillar temple, they were short of time !!!!
Missed it? I guess they visited some among the 18 Basadis. When I was in NJ, I've met couple of Jains from Gujarat who thought Jains were unknown in the south. One even tried to educate me about Jains. Then I stopped him and told him about Jain heritage in my native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Honestly, this seems to be the problem in most of the temples in India. Wonder why? It is very irritating! If the problem is 'flash' they can restrict photography to flash-less pictures only like they have done it at Ellora Ajanta.
Thank god they have done away with camera restrictions in Ajantha/Ellora or Somnathpur. I think they have continued it in temples where worshiping still goes on.
Old 14th May 2007, 12:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I think they have continued it in temples where worshiping still goes on.
Had done a Ashtavinayak trip some time back during which it was seen that some of the temples where the idols are still being worshipped, they allow photography but at a price! You pay at the counter where they accept money as offerings/puja and give you a receipt too and then you go inside and take photographs to your hearts content. I think it is a wonderful idea as the money (never more than Rs.10/- was charged) can be used for the maintenance of the temple and the devotee also leaves happy! Wish this system could be followed in all temples!
You can check my travelog on Ashtavinayak trip at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html
Old 14th May 2007, 19:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Honestly, this seems to be the problem in most of the temples in India. Wonder why? It is very irritating! If the problem is 'flash' they can restrict photography to flashless pictures only like they have done it at Ellora Ajanta.
Its the same everywhere. I remember not being allowed to take photos in St Paul's Cathedral in London. Its a place of worship first and the intention is to maintain the decorum and avoid the trappings of a tourist place. Otherwise, a 100 shops selling rolls/CDs burning will spring up around the temple !!

I pass thru this temple on the way to my grandpa's place. I guess I am used to it, but I found Jain temples in Rajastan more beautiful. I guess sandstone is easier to work on than the hard rocks used in the temples down south.
Old 15th May 2007, 11:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jain Temples

Quote:
Missed it? I guess they visited some among the 18 Basadis. When I was in NJ, I've met couple of Jains from Gujarat who thought Jains were unknown in the south. One even tried to educate me about Jains. Then I stopped him and told him about Jain heritage in my native.
I was probably not clear...........

They missed the 1000 pillar temple, but covered ALL the jain temples. Their priority was on covering all the Jain Temples and were forced to miss the 1000 pillar temple for want of time!!! So they were happy to see some pictures............
They said, like you have explained, the whole place was filled with Jain temples. These guys are pretty serious when it comes to visiting their temples, spend lots of effort and money grind around. Most of them have finished the 4 Dham visits (with family) Manas Sarovar which is a tough grind. The fervor have to be seen to be believed.....

--Ramky

==============

Last edited by Samurai : 15th May 2007 at 13:32. Reason: Removing font tags.
Old 18th May 2007, 14:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai.. nice write up there... couple of months back...i took the route from charmadi instead of shiradi....and reached manipal via karkala.....i agree roads are great... its a treat travelling through those roads....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks