Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 13:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Assam To Ladakh in a Hyundai Tucson

Brilliant travelogue - a truly great one after a long time. Must say you are a lucky guy - to have a wife who is happy to come on such a long journey where only you were driving so soon after your marriage!

Ladakh is truly brilliant - and I want to do it self driven one day - but I doubt I would have to courage to do it alone and unsupported. And to do it in a Tucson as opposed to a proper Body on Frame vehicle makes it even more incredible. Was surprised by the DPF issues you faced - I would have thought that hill driving would keep RPMs high enough to avoid such problems.

Thanks for a fantastic write up which I read end to end, and wish you a very happy married life and many more brilliant road trips together.
Hayek is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:54   #17
BHPian

Amazing travelogue with amazing photos.
Your TL has planted the seeds of getting Leh'd in me and I have been showing your pics to my wife long before you shared here, stating how a couple from Assam did the trip and inspiring her too.
Hope to do it oneday
Prakritij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 16:13   #18
BHPian

Guwahati to Ladakh, that's a long trip. Kudos on the safe completion of the trip. A lovely travelogue with loads of information and nice images.
I am from Guwahati and I have the urge to do this trip on my Hexa, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th September 2021 at 16:26. Reason: Pls do not post dotty posts....like....this.....
UD2021 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 17:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant report. Oxygen starvation resulting in DPF clogging is a surprise and I am not sure if it has been discussed enough in TBHP in context of people buying diesel SUVs for Leh/Ladakh type journeys. Request Mods to highlight this aspect for further comments from members who may have recently BS6 diesel SUVs and used them in high altitude environments.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 17:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Super travel
And that too so soon after your marriage!

Congrats and best wishes for a life ahead full of many such adventures and beautiful journeys.

A Leh-Ladakh trip is every wanderlust’s dream, thanks for bringing it so close to us.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 17:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Brilliant report. Oxygen starvation resulting in DPF clogging is a surprise and I am not sure if it has been discussed enough in TBHP in context of people buying diesel SUVs for Leh/Ladakh type journeys.
Thanks for reading. Actually i am too curious to know if DPF clogging issue have occurred with other BS6 diesel vehicles or not. Or may be i was too unlucky with the Tucson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhasis View Post
Amazing travelogue! Very detailed and well-articulated with some breathtaking photos!
Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Loved going through your travelogue.
The Hyundai Tucson is surely a wonderful companion for you.
Yes, I have heard a lot of negative reviews on the Nexen tyres, changing the Tyres to more positively reviewed brands should be the first mod to be considered post delivery it seems.

How is the DPF issue now?
The DPF in my Tucson has started giving me horror stories lately. The car is currently in Hyundai ASS for the same issue. A brief update will be given in my ownership review section as soon as the SA guys came with a solution. The car has roughly covered 26k kms as of now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
The DC office stamp is required only for Hanle.
The route passes through military installations and we witnessed a tank drill on plains around Nyoma and Loma.
The stamp specifically says Valid for Hanley and is put on printout of online passes.
Thanks a lot for updating. Tso Moriri and Hanle are definitely on my watch list in my next visit to Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar.mi View Post
Your article mentioned you changing your size to 235 55 R18 instead. I was pleasantly surprised. Wanted to check if it was alright to size up like that without any alterations / modifications? Because I guess I might have another option (Pirelli) if sizing up in alright. Could you or any of the other veterans throw some light around this clarification, please.
Congratulations on covering hassle free 46000 kms in the Tucson. This calls for an ownership review. I am currently satisfied with the Pirelli 235/55/R18 tires. The road noise has reduced and the grip levels are far better than the stock nexens. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any problem upgrading to 235 section. You will just be increasing 10mm width of the tyre while keep rest of the profile same. Rather, taking corners with thicker tyre will inspire more confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
Which camera is this ? While going through the photos, I was initially thinking this may be some DSLR but in one of your videos (Tuscon filled with dirt) I could see in the window glass reflection that it looks like a smartphone camera.
Thank you for reading. Believe me or not, all the photos are clicked from our mobile phones. I use a vivo V20 pro while wife uses a one plus 9R. The video you are talking about was shoot by my wife's one plus 9R. While rest of the videos uploaded were shoot by Gopro 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Thanks for a fantastic write up which I read end to end, and wish you a very happy married life and many more brilliant road trips together.
Thanks alot sir for going through my post. Really appreciate the words coming from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakritij View Post
Hope to do it oneday
Thanks for reading Prakritij Da. I am sure, One day you would make it to Leh with your S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2021 View Post
Guwahati to Ladakh, that's a long trip. Kudos on the safe completion of the trip. A lovely travelogue with loads of information and nice images.
I am from Guwahati and I have the urge to do this trip on my Hexa, keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks alot for reading. I always feel extra happy to find a BHPian from Guwahati considering the numbers are still on the lower side. Your vehicle is far more superior than my car for doing the Ladakh circuit. I wish you all the very best for the Ladakh trip in advance.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 18:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Super travel
A Leh-Ladakh trip is every wanderlust’s dream, thanks for bringing it so close to us.
Thank You very much for reading. I agree the Leh-Ladakh is too tempting for us Indians and is certainly everyone's dreamtrip.
Old 11th September 2021, 18:04   #23
BHPian

Great trip report and pictures. A trip to Ladakh is more of a lifetime experience. You could have taken route the Guwahati- Siliguri- Moregram- Bolpur- Shantiniketan- Panagarh- Muchipara- Bidhan nagar route instead of Bhaglapur- Nalla- Asansol route.
Coincidentally I am also from Guwahati and working in Durgapur for sometime now.

Going by your pictures, seems like we stay closeby. Will PM you.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 18:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
It was during the end of 2020 when COVID seemed to diminishing in Inda, My wife (then girlfriend) and I had decided that we would go on a long road trip across New Zealand after our marriage. But all plannings came to a hault when the COVID again hit us with its 2nd wave in a more deadly manner. Our wedding actually happened amidst the peak of 2nd wave and all the plans for road trip went for a toss due to covid as well as financial constraints. Slowly as time passed by, COVID cases reduced, urge to go on a road trip increased exponentially. It was then when we both decided to keep the road trip plan on, albeit within India. After thorough discussion and enough persuasion with parents of both sides, the trip was decided. Yes, you guessed it right. A road trip to Ladakh !
Nice blog!!

Well, if you are coming towards Delhi from Varanasi, please keep driving on NH (old name was NH2) till well beyond Etawah and then take ALE after Jaswantnagar. No need to go to Lucknow from Prayagraj as that stretch is not that great to drive.

MOD NOTE : Please go through posting etiquettes before making another post. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th September 2021 at 12:43. Reason: For ease of reading please do not quote the whole post. Thanks!
Old 11th September 2021, 18:30   #25
BHPian

Great travelogue.

Agree completely on the stock tyres the Tucson comes with. I too had a problem, and have posted bout it.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 19:53   #26
BHPian

What a fantastic trip, and even better expressed in words. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. As someone who has just booked a BS-6 diesel Tucson, I am a bit concerned about the DPF issue. Is this specific to this car or is it a BS-6 diesel trait? Please do keep us posted about your DPF issues and how Hyundai resolves it.

MOD NOTE - Please capitalize where required. Request you to please go through posting etiquette before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th September 2021 at 12:38. Reason: Mod note attached.
AP_1812 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th September 2021, 20:46   #27
BHPian

Fantastic write up. Thank you for putting in the time to share this awesome journey with all of us. I have a few questions
1. Is your Tucson an AWD? I'm very curious how you drove though the sand and water so smoothly
2. The DFP clogging has caught my attention. Could you share how/where did you learn about the high RPM solution? Not able to wrap my around how does high rpm help with soot built up.
the.city is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 21:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Now, 8 speed gearbox, 185BHP and 400NM of torque in Tucson may sound great under normal circumstances, but the story is different when you drive at an elevation above 8000 ft.
..... I was not pleased with the performance of the car in the climbs.....
It's quite surprising. Was expecting the Tucson Diesel to be a very good car for such trips. After all it has good power and torque ratings. Should have had the enough power to tackle such roads. And ground clearance was never an issue as the underbody was not hit even once. So is it that the Tucson is not meant to be driven at high altitudes ? If yes, then very disappointing.
Is it because of the poor implementation of DPF regeneration . It seems that hyundai has just gone for a stop gap arrangement to just satisfy the BS6 emission norms and has compromised on the cars performance under demanding conditions.
Also, it appears that Toyota has a more robust implementation of BS6 related hardware in cars like Innova/Fortunner which is capable of performing well even in the extreme conditions. This very much explains the significant increase in BS6 diesel prices for Innova and Fortunner
axe_deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 22:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Simply wow! I usually glance through travelogues and see the pictures. But this is one travelogue that caught my attention, and I read it twice in succession. An extremely detailed travelogue and wonderfully written, I must say. The pictures complement the words and vice versa. Also, it is good to read that the car held on very well despite the DPF problem.

What's the next trip planned now?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 00:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, congratulations on the completion of a beautiful journey even after facing disruptions from tyres and DPF issues LONG_TOURER. Secondly, anything from the North-East is very dear to me and that you have started from Guwahati makes it even more special.

Fantastic pictures, superb narration and a log of an awesome journey. Keep travelling and keep sharing,

Regards.

P.S- Being from KV myself, I can well understand the sentiment you mentioned here after seeing that KV building in a remote place
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed