Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 17:02   #16
BHPian

Re: A Divine Call to Spiti Valley!

A truly inspiring travelogue!! Especially it's really good to see a hatch take the tough road trip so we'll. Lovely pictures too. Thanks for sharing.
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 20:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the well balanced and detailed travelogue, was a pleasure reading it

Your experience of driving in the snow made me realize the utility of ESP, will keep it in mind.
I was picturing myself going through that trip, trying to keep a check on the expenses (thanks for sharing the breakdown), but those toll charges

Last edited by shancz : 25th September 2021 at 20:22. Reason: format
shancz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:59   #18
BHPian

Thank you for this thread. I am absolutely amazed and want to do this myself!! I too have a Freestyle (albeit a petrol one) and it feels so good that I have a car that will keep me safe in these places. It's a real shame that there wont be Fords anymore in India!
saumitra_joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:22   #19
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue!! Rated it 5 starts and read it in one go. It's very detailed and would easily serve a a guide to spiti by road. I really liked the pictures, especially the variety of food. 1000km is quite easy with the TDCi. It can go on and on without a hiccup. Happy that you're putting the car to God use and for your intended use case. Time for me to take the blue baby to the Himalayas (if parents agree this time :P) if not, I'll need to take the bike.

1 question though. How did your tyres hold up in the rough sections of Spiti?

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2021 at 04:45. Reason: As requested
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:04   #20
BHPian

As rightly said, the will and the desire to travel is more important which A, G and you had in abundance. I could never see a dull moment. Great travelogue with useful details. This serves as a guide for many who would wish to take this route. Wish you many more interesting road trips n future.
vermasach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 00:02   #21
BHPian

That was a good read, I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures. Rated well deserved 5 stars. Amazed at how freestyle managed to go places without taking any underbody damage and also managing 1000+ kms in a day is quite a feat in a hatch. Again, thanks for sharing.
Mach_1590 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 08:19   #22

Hello friends,

This is indeed a very detailed travelogue and really very informative. reading your experience felt like i was also there with you guys. Yes, exit of Ford from Indian market is a big loss to car lovers. Keep revving
msonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Fantastic !

I felt as if I was along with you guys on the trip. Cherish these times on the road.
ksakotai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 18:43   #24
BHPian

Kudos, great travelogue - wonderful weekend read. Good insights for people who may be planning a trip and even for someone like me who's been planning for long but not ventured on a cross-country drive yet
pathik@2020 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely narrative and wonderful snaps. Makes us all itching to visit the valleys.
The trip details and accommodation options would be really helpful for anyone planning trips in near future. As the pandemic scene is slowly relaxing, I guess there would be many who would be waiting to hit the long road; me included!

By the way, from where did you source that "Spiti valley" sticker? Was it custom made or you got it from some shop nearby?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 26th September 2021 at 20:54.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Great narrative that covers each and every detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post

There was another check post at Sumdo where they took same details. Jio and BSNL are the only networks that work in Spiti.
One QQ:

Quote:
Does Jio Prepaid works in Spiti?
manchandap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:00   #27
BHPian

Absolutely Brilliant

You have vividly replayed our experience of Spiti which we did in August 2019.

The only difference was that we had to reach Manali by going up the Rohtang Pass (at that time the Atal Tunnel had not opened). We had a Ford Ecosport and I dare say these Ford cars are really tough.

We got stuck in a landslide between Kalpa & Nako and our windshield cracked, which we got replaced in Mandi at the Ford Dealer.

The two most challenging things in the journey were the Chota Dhara and the water flowing on the road to Chandrataal. Fortunately we had some divine souls who guided us at Chota Dhara and told us to just keep driving no matter what happens - and nothing happened.

Spiti beckons again !
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:23   #28
BHPian

great Travelogue. And an inspiring one too.

I have been planning a road trip up north for a while now, but everyone seems to be discouraging me. Some just for the sake of it, but mostly because my drive is a 5th Gen Honda city CVT.

I still want to go through, up and until where the car can go basically, without trying my luck too hard. So motorable, paved roads or at least basic motor-able roads would be nice. Planning to go mid October and keen on going to relatively "less tourist-y" places. I have already covered every major hill station near NCR - Shimla, Manali (by taxi), Mussorie, Dharamshala (by flight), Nainital, Almora and nearby places. Any advise where I can go?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:37   #29
AZT
BHPian

Amazing travelogue. This just went on my bucket list (albeit from Bombay). Will definitely come back to this when I'm ready.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
How did your tyres hold up in the rough sections of Spiti?
The tyres had another 10kms of life as per ASS when I started from Bangalore. They did pretty well given the conditions where I was driving in. While coming back to BLR I felt the front tyres had lost quite a bit of grip and I had kept a check on my speed during rains. As we speak, I am getting 4 tyres changed to Yokohama Earth1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

By the way, from where did you source that "Spiti valley" sticker? Was it custom made or you got it from some shop nearby?
I got the stickers/tshirt from www.wanderlooms.com. Did not want to miss out on the photo opportunity in front of Atal Tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
One QQ:
Prepaid sims work. Just that network is patchy.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed