Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 12:38   #16

re: Baloo & I: Reset at an Ashram, and drive into the glorious past of the Chola empire

Hats off to you for taking detailed photographs of the timeless monuments and penning them down beautifully. The route and stay details will also help fellow travelers a lot !

P.S: Enjoyed your conversations with Baloo !
DevilisH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 13:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Baloo & I: Reset at an Ashram, and drive into the glorious past of the Chola empire

Amazing journey to amazing places Good travelogue to behold and my thanks to you for sharing this.

I remember going to Brihadeeswara Temple many years ago and it was a marvelous experience for me.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 23:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post
Thank you, Zignor. Love to meet a Mowgli as well on this forum soon
This car is very dear to me and is an integral part of my daily life. Solo drives are a different ball game where what we have is the man, machine and roads. The attachment just keeps growing, its a crazy one, yes.
Maybe we should end up looking for a Mowgli soon enough. I do plan to drive to Bengaluru this year. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
For this first attempt at writing a travelogue, I used this 'persona of Baloo' to make it an interesting to read otherwise as rightly said, a voluminous travelogue. My friends loved this take when i showed it to them in draft form and a friends kids laughed and curiously read a few passages which otherwise never would have got their attention. We need our younger generations to appreciate our treasures.
I can fully relate to what you're saying. First travelogues are usually the toughest but they are written from the heart. And those are always appreciated. Once again, thank you for not making me feel as if I'm the only one who talks to his car.

Quote:
Thank you again for investing to read on big screen. Looking forward to your views.
I certainly intend to later, given that I have limited internet where I am at right now and won't be able to load all the images from your post. Till then, happy posting. Oh, and thanks for compliment on Bagheera's Kaas trip.
Zignor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 09:20   #19
BHPian

A very nice and detailed travelogue. The conversation between you and Baloo make it even more interesting. That conversation elevates the travelogue to an interesting level.

Great details on what's important in each location. Darasuram (Airavateswarer temple) has been on my bucket list for a looong time. Maybe this travelogue provides a motivation for the same.
GangaiKondaCholapuram is a favourite location of mine. As you noticed it is one of the well maintained ASI sites. The Yaali on the north-east side has steps that lead to a huge well. It also has a covered portion where the Royals could take bath with no visibility to those at top of well.

The single lane bridge that you crossed across river Kollidam ( Branch of Cauvery) is called Anaikarai.

Looking forward to your Mahabs story. Lastly I think you can convert this travelogue to a book or podcast or an e-book.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:11   #20
BHPian

Re: Baloo & I: Reset at an Ashram, and drive into the glorious past of the Chola empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Excellent post. Thank you for this very detailed write up. Really appreciate the commentary.
Thank you, Electromotive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanRao View Post
This travelogue comes at the right time as I sit down to plan my 3000km road-trip to the glorious Gujarat in Jan'22. I plan to pen down my first travelogue here and your travelogue has given me the extra push to plan well and jot down the finer details for a good travelogue.
Thank you, MilanRao. Glad to know you liked 'Baloo persona'. Wishing you a great trip in Jan. Gujarat has many historic and natural sites to visit. Its on my bucket list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilisH View Post
Hats off to you for taking detailed photographs of the timeless monuments and penning them down beautifully. The route and stay details will also help fellow travelers a lot !

P.S: Enjoyed your conversations with Baloo !
Thank you, DevilisH. It indeed took a lot of time and consumed most of my off work hours. But I enjoyed the trip and even more thoroughly enjoyed penning this travelogue. Comments from fellow BHPans, like you, tops it all and makes it worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Amazing journey to amazing places Good travelogue to behold and my thanks to you for sharing this.

I remember going to Brihadeeswara Temple many years ago and it was a marvelous experience for me.
Thank you, deathwalkr. Glad to know you had visited Brihadeeswara temple. It remains etched in memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zignor View Post
Maybe we should end up looking for a Mowgli soon enough. I do plan to drive to Bengaluru this year. Fingers crossed.
Thank you, Zignor. Please PM me when you are coming to Bangalore. If I am around and timing aligns, probably we can plan Baloo and Bagheera meetup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
A very nice and detailed travelogue. The conversation between you and Baloo make it even more interesting. That conversation elevates the travelogue to an interesting level.

Great details on what's important in each location. Darasuram (Airavateswarer temple) has been on my bucket list for a looong time. Maybe this travelogue provides a motivation for the same.
GangaiKondaCholapuram is a favourite location of mine. As you noticed it is one of the well maintained ASI sites. The Yaali on the north-east side has steps that lead to a huge well. It also has a covered portion where the Royals could take bath with no visibility to those at top of well.

The single lane bridge that you crossed across river Kollidam ( Branch of Cauvery) is called Anaikarai.

Looking forward to your Mahabs story. Lastly I think you can convert this travelogue to a book or podcast or an e-book.
Thank you, pugram. So happy to know that Baloo made a positive connection
Agree with you, Brihadeeswara is about Grandiose, projecting center of power, drawing everyone to it.
Airavateswara is about the finesse and the pinnacle of artistic talent in those times.
GangaikondaCholapuram is the bulbous beauty, a fine balance of power, art and beauty.

Glad to know the further details on the bridge and Yali. That explains why there is a gate between front legs of Yali. I was wondering what was inside there but couldn't check as it was locked.
Thanks for suggestions on book or podcast.

Last edited by TurboOnTarmac : 15th October 2021 at 14:15.
Old 20th October 2021, 21:33   #21

Re: Baloo & I: Reset at an Ashram, and drive into the glorious past of the Chola empire

Excellent Travelogue. I wish to add some info about the Chariot Mandapa in Darasuram.
The Chariot wheel acts like a Sun Dial. If you closely observe the Wheel on the eastern side, there will be some small bird figurines flying outward , depicting morning when birds go for prey. The face of the rider on the horse will be more energetic. ( Start of the day ) In the Wheel on the western side, birds can be seen, flying inward ( to the nest ) and the face of the rider appear more tired. He will also be facing home.
Umash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umash View Post
Excellent Travelogue. I wish to add some info about the Chariot Mandapa in Darasuram.
The Chariot wheel acts like a Sun Dial. If you closely observe the Wheel on the eastern side, there will be some small bird figurines flying outward , depicting morning when birds go for prey. The face of the rider on the horse will be more energetic. ( Start of the day ) In the Wheel on the western side, birds can be seen, flying inward ( to the nest ) and the face of the rider appear more tired. He will also be facing home.
Thank you, Umash.

There is so much depicted inside that temple that i feel i barely scratched the surface. There is a lot that i couldn't understand but was curious. Its an ocean of art, information and cultural knowledge.
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed