Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:59   #1
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Muthathi Jeep Trail

Another fine gloomy Sunday morning. Just the way I love it - cloudy and rainy. We were planning this for a while now, and it was a fantastic day to go jeeping. The place we had chosen was Muthathi, a small river-town, 110kms from Bangalore. The monsoons in India were at its best in 15 years and Cauvery, the river that flows thru this town was in full blast! The river has not been like this in 15 years and we HAD to go see it for ourselves. The river is easily 1/2km across at someplaces here. The small rapids draw whitewater rafters here. The huge masheer game fish, the biggest in the world, are found in Muthathi fishing freaks make a beeline to this place in the weekends.

Muthathi town is on the edge of the biggest forest range in India, which spreads across three states - Karnataka, Tamil Nadu & Kerala. It is tiger territoy and is also infested with elephants, wild gaur(bison), spotted deer, bears, leopards, and a plethora of other animals. A few years ago, we had camped in the forest along the Cauvery and we were out in the jungle to find that spot. We hit the mud trail that leads into the forest and in no time, we were on a fantastic trail along the river into the jungle.

We have been in this area earlier in a Gypsy King 1.3, and during summer, you can drive into the forests on dry river beds! It might sound crazy, but its one helluva experience!! It is not possible to camp in the jungle these days as disrespectful campers tend to litter the forest. It might be possible to get permission from the Forest Department to camp, but seems unlikely. Muthathi town itself has a notorious reputation for elephant attacks, and makes this forest very dangerous. We had a bitter experience earlier with elephants, so we decided to visit the place and return after sunset.

The day turned out to be beautiful, with the sun and clouds playing on our senses. We had an absolute blast driving on this trail. We could not spend more time exploring deeper, as it started raining in the evening and we had to turn back.

btw...this was in june 2006

Last edited by NIP : 23rd May 2007 at 14:06.
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Few lines and couple of pics took you almost a year !!!!!

Anyway nice pics though....

Abhi
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:42   #3
BANNED

Oh my god! I thought it was now.

Muthathi is a great place to go. There are very rare experiences specific to that place alone. Your car will be blessed by the local temple priest just before you enter the forest area. Local food is awesome.
Crossing the river or just taking a dip in it is heavenly. Never feels like you're just a few kilometers away from the craziness of Bangalore. Very peaceful surroundings.

But why did it take a year?
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:57   #4
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Few lines and couple of pics took you almost a year !!!!!

Anyway nice pics though....

Abhi
hahaha...true abhi...it was last year. but i had posted this on a blog somewhere. so i just thought it would be nice to post it here as well...thats all. i have tons of pics if u want to see them though...

Last edited by NIP : 23rd May 2007 at 15:59.
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:01   #5
BHPian

wow .. great pics and a great place indeed! dont think it would have changed much in a year so .... great stuff!
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow.. what a place.. what say Bangalore Tbhpiians.. Lets go there this Saturday?

Godfather
Old 24th May 2007, 00:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nip nice trip there !! I remember the last trip I did to this place was during my college days.
Quote:
Wow.. what a place.. what say Bangalore Tbhpiians.. Lets go there this Saturday?
LOL looks like someone has an off this time around on a saturday .
Nice idea, but then only the Safari and the Sumo can do the off-roading part.
Old 24th May 2007, 00:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
LOL looks like someone has an off this time around on a saturday .
Nice idea, but then only the Safari and the Sumo can do the off-roading part.
Yeah.. lucky for me this month i have Saturday and Sunday as weekends.. and i am able to attend all the meets happening..
I am even more enthu because sadly this will change next month.. so i wanna enjoy all that i can..
and you guys can fit into the Safari and Sumo..

Godfather
Old 24th May 2007, 11:16   #9
BHPian

muthathi is a gud place for offroading, still remember, my 1st offroad in muthati on my MM540.....lol was fun :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks