Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 23:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore->Mysore->Hunsur->Kushalnagar->Madikeri->Murnad->Napokul->Kakkabe->Cheyandaney->
Chelavara
Correction isnt that Napoklu?

Also to reach Kakkabe I think the best route is via Virajpet.
Bangalore--Mysore--Hunsur--Gonikoppal--Virajpet--Murnad and then deviate towards Kakkabe.

Now from Kakkabe which is this road?
The one which leads to the Igguthappa temple or the road towards Nalknad palace?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 4th June 2007 at 23:43.
Old 4th June 2007, 23:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Cool!

Totally OT but the pic that they have on the following link is sorta funny. Looks like people are more busy removing leeches then enjoying the scenary from the top

www.kabbeholidays.com - Homestay in Coorg, India
Old 5th June 2007, 00:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Correction isnt that Napoklu?

Also to reach Kakkabe I think the best route is via Virajpet.
Bangalore--Mysore--Hunsur--Gonikoppal--Virajpet--Murnad and then deviate towards Kakkabe.
Yeah i think its napoklu.. must have been a typo. Iv used virajpet route both times I visited Kakkabe, now thanks to NIP methinks I will be in Coorg next week after the exams
Old 5th June 2007, 09:36   #19
NIP
Senior - BHPian

yes rjstyles...thats Napoklu...it was a typo. Yes I agree the best route is thru Virajpet. I'm not sure about the road to Madikeri.

To get to Chelavara from Kakkabe, you have to take the road towards Nalknad Palace, but not make a right towards the palace. You have to continue on the Virajpet road and just after the turn to the palace, you have 3 hairpin bends. Cheyandaney is about 12-13kms from here and you need to make a right at this place. You cant miss it...its the only place with a bar on the entire stretch to Virajpet You gotta make a right just before the bar, or when driving from Virajpet, make a left just after the bar at cheyandaney.

hondadude...AFAIK there is no leech problem on top of Chelavara. I have realized the leeches are more where theres a stream with lots of trees around. Tadiyandamol and Nalknad area are terrible that way.
Old 5th June 2007, 09:47   #20
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Yeah i think its napoklu.. must have been a typo. Iv used virajpet route both times I visited Kakkabe, now thanks to NIP methinks I will be in Coorg next week after the exams
Yea Souljah...its a very good time to go now. If its not raining, its a good idea to hire tents from bangy Also, Kings Cottage near Kakkabe is VFM stay with superb food. You can call them on 08272 238464. Rooms are 700-800 bucks. Good thing about staying in Kakkabe is you can hire a jeep easily and there are lots of places to explore as well.

Btw...when are your exams over ? We're heading to Kakkabe on 15th of this month for a camping trip to Chelavara (depends on the rains).
Old 5th June 2007, 11:25   #21
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys...here are some more pics from inside an estate in the Kakkabe area. The Estate is called Kaikutty Estate. Its absolute heaven. You need to cross 2 rivers and 2 estates to get to this estate, and the house has a gigantic waterfall in the background

This is the house (more than 100yrs old!) and the waterfall behind it. This pic actually doesnt do justice, the waterfall is huuuge and it roars !!

This is the river that runs next to the house:

On the way up to the waterfall:

Heres a pic of the road that cuts thru the river. Insert Jeep here !
Old 5th June 2007, 11:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

cool place! should have visited this place! Nice pix

edit! that pic of 3 people looking down at some hills is awesome!

emm, do bisleri come in golden color at coorg?

Last edited by jkdas : 5th June 2007 at 11:35.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:37   #23
NIP
Senior - BHPian

heheh JK...u noticed ! Yeah its Bisleri Gold - World Cup edition !! hahaha !! Its actually brandy...its the only thing they drink around these parts...Honey Bee Brandy !!

Last edited by NIP : 5th June 2007 at 11:39.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:40   #24
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Now some pics from Naladi, a short drive away from Kakkabe. This place has a 360 degree view of tha mountains around !! No estates, no nothing...pure rainforest !! This are also has lots of small streams and waterfalls, and a major river that goes on to become the Kakkabe river. Its jeeping heaven !!

Old 5th June 2007, 13:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
hondadude...nope its not on any map...and the treacherous roads keep the tourists away i guess. I'm praying this place doesn't get commercialized.

Karan...the route i've mentioned is one way to get there...other way is:

Bangalore->Mysore->Hunsur->Kushalnagar->Madikeri->Murnad->Napokul->Kakkabe->Cheyandaney->Chelavara

I guess the distance will be the same..say +/_ 15-20kms. i havent used the hunsur->madikeri road in a while and i heard its good now. it was being fixed...so i guess this should be ok too...this route is more scenic and fun to drive too btw...theres a homestay called Kabbe Holidays on the way up to the mountains in Chelavara. I dont know much about the place, but you could hit it up on Google. I've heard some nice things about the folks who run it.

edit: here it is Homestay in Coorg, India - www.kabbeholidays.com
HEY NIP THANKS FR THE ROUTE DETAILS ,ONE MORE THING ..IAM PLANNING TO GO IN JULY, IS IT OK TO DRIVE HERE THEN ,I MEAN COORG WILL BE IN HEAVY RAIN FALL OR CROWDED ETC ETC
Old 5th June 2007, 15:28   #26
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Karan...it will probably be raining heavily in July. And no...the places we're talkin about here have no crowd whatsoever. Thats the beauty of it.
Old 5th June 2007, 16:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Naladi is brilliant!! My friends from virajpet couldnt believe they were still in coorg. A middle earth of sorts, very remniscent of New Zealand.

15th eh? Im done by then... Dont want to impose though. Swami/Rahul and gang ?
Old 5th June 2007, 17:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Can these places be accessed by car? Or only jeeps and 4-wheel drive vehicles?
If a car could go there, then I can plan for this winter, all the way from Hyderabad.
What are the approx distances from Bangalore?
Pictures are really mind-boggling.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:54   #29
NIP
Senior - BHPian

vnabhi...read the first post. all the info is there. you can drive to this place and hire a jeep to go around. distance from Bangalore is approx. 300kms.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can these places be accessed by car?
Till about Kakkabe yes you can go by car.Beyond that you will need a jeep to do the mountain part.
Quote:
What are the approx distances from Bangalore?
About 270kms max.

Most Viewed