Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 23:58   #16
BHPian

Re: My maiden road-trip to Himachal and Kashmir | Fiat Linea

I am sure this is one to be remembered for many years to come.

I started reading the thread just to look at the pictures of Linea (yes, I am a bit crazy that way - one of my favorite cars, if only Fiat dealership had continued in India! But, I manage with Fiat engine now), but I was hooked to the pictures of the landscape! It is gorgeous.

There is so much to see in India. Thanks for sharing all the pics.
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 00:48   #17
BHPian

A very well written travelogue with excellent pictures.
Two things struck a chord with me; one is the love you and madam have for stray dogs, and the second was your observation on the Army.
The Lines is a great car with a fantastic GC. I am sure that the car must have enjoyed the road as much as you both did...
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 11:20   #18

Excellent Photologue. Some noob queries. What are the payment methods in the various parks? Is it digital or hard cash? How was the mobile signal? Do Google Maps work in these roads? Thanks in Advance.
Umash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:00   #19
BHPian

Your trip, Linea and the pictures are all majestic to say the least.
The pics from pari mahal show how much the Dal lake has been encroached upon over time. Where it used to be lake are golf courses and what not now.

Altos are indeed the fastest there. Locals prefer an Alto over anything else even if they have to go to Ladakh.

Personally, your post is quite envious to me. Cheers!
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 22:59   #20
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the nice words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umash View Post
What are the payment methods in the various parks? Is it digital or hard cash? How was the mobile signal? Do Google Maps work in these roads?
I paid for entrances in cash. Mobile signal was great for our Airtel postpaid connection. Some places such as Baltal, Mughal road had some patchy network but good overall. Google maps work nicely. However, follow your instinct and check with locals if found some roads not good enough to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
I am sure that the car must have enjoyed the road as much as you both did...
As my wife generally says, the trips we do in Linea is more for the car to be able to stretch its legs than for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Before driving to Kashmir several BHPians told me to avoid Mughal road for safety issues. I think your problem was road congestion, but probably worth because of the Peer Ki Gali pass views. Would you think it's worth taking up in near future?
Mughal road should definitely be on the agenda if visiting Kashmir. I checked with J&K traffic police before leaving for the same. There are no security issues with army patrolling the roads. We also need to make an entry after crossing Pir ki gali with army. We need to get out of the car, share car details, Aadhar details, address and get our pics clicked. Ladies, however, are excluded from this routine.

Due to bad roads after Bafliaz bridge, one can do a day trip and take a u turn from Bafliaz or proceed till Surankot and then take left towards Jammu to join Poonch Highway. I don’t have any idea of road conditions between Surankot and Rajouri. I hope it will be better than what I chose.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 09:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Prologue -

Day 3(15th Nov) - Dalhousie - Srinagar via Dhar kalan - Shahapur Kandi - Madhopur - Jammu - Udhampur - Srinagar. Night halt - Srinagar.
Nice and comprehensive travelogue this is; I must say. You have inspired many souls to take this adventurous and beautiful journey including me. I am planning to travel during the next month along with my family!

Google maps shows the route from Dalhousie to Srinagar via Dhar Kalan-Dharmkote following the Dhar Udhampur Road. Any specific reason to travel via Jammu or is the Jammu-Nagrota route preferred?
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Google maps shows the route from Dalhousie to Srinagar via Dhar Kalan-Dharmkote following the Dhar Udhampur Road. Any specific reason to travel via Jammu or is the Jammu-Nagrota route preferred?
Thanks for the nice words carizma

I wasn’t sure about the road quality of Samba - Udhampur road bypassing Jammu. Moreover, Jammu - Udhampur is a 4 laned smooth section. Crossing Jammu in morning(9-10 am) isn’t much of a trouble.

Most Viewed