Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2022, 23:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations

Lovely travelogue as usual GeneralJazz. Kodai is always enchanting and your log has brought out its beauty well. And of course what's a travelogue without a few tempting food pics
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 23:14   #17
BHPian

Re: Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller” – Ibn Battuta

Prologue

A trip to Kodaikanal has been on our list for a long time. I've been in Coimbatore for 4 years now, and its embarrassing to say that I'm yet to visit the Princess of Hill Stations! .
Congrats on the beautiful travelogue, all I can say is you were not alone. Looks like now I'm the only person left in Coimbatore who is yet to visit Kodaikanal.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 14:15   #18
BHPian

Hi GeneralJazz, Lovely travelogue and really detailed. Pictures outside the car are great. From within the car, you definitely need a polarizer to cut the glare
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Lovely pictures and rendition GeneralJazz and glad that you liked my homestay suggestion.

The rapid must have been in its elements in the drive up the ghats. The hill road to Kodai is much narrower compared to the Ooty road so one has to plan the overtakes well or one will be left to crawl behind buses sniffing exhaust fumes for a long time till the next overtaking opportunity.

The food pics alone tempt me into going for a drive to Kodai again.

And yes, the windmills still give me a scare, despite all the times I have driven on the same road.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 15:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Nicely written travelogue Generaljazz!
While scrolling through the photos, I found we were classmates
Indeed we were! Took me a bit to make the Mattannur connection! I think I might have seen your Aspire in one of your SM updates somewhere! Small world indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
A great travelogue, GeneralJazz - Kodaikanal is justly named. The photo of the meadows behind the sheep pen is like so much of the English countryside that one sees in their landscape photos.

Thanks again - a great travelogue sprinkled with lively humor - the wind farms and the aliens was a neat touch!
Thank you for the kind words shashanka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Amazing thread, with an even more amazing car! I notice that the projector setup is aftermarket. Looks neat, please share the details!
Thank you TheHelix0202 .Its a Genome HID unit. Not the greatest one around but gets the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Lovely travelogue as usual GeneralJazz. Kodai is always enchanting and your log has brought out its beauty well. And of course what's a travelogue without a few tempting food pics
Thanks Praveenji! The food was excellent! Though nothing would compare to our naadan porotta + BDF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Congrats on the beautiful travelogue, all I can say is you were not alone. Looks like now I'm the only person left in Coimbatore who is yet to visit Kodaikanal.
Thank you pandabear. I hope this motivates you to make a Kodai plan asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Hi GeneralJazz, Lovely travelogue and really detailed. Pictures outside the car are great. From within the car, you definitely need a polarizer to cut the glare
Thank you pd1108! Yes the glare was awful. Plus the dashcam angle was completely off, taking in a lot of reflection of the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Lovely pictures and rendition GeneralJazz and glad that you liked my homestay suggestion.

The rapid must have been in its elements in the drive up the ghats. The hill road to Kodai is much narrower compared to the Ooty road so one has to plan the overtakes well or one will be left to crawl behind buses sniffing exhaust fumes for a long time till the next overtaking opportunity.

The food pics alone tempt me into going for a drive to Kodai again.

And yes, the windmills still give me a scare, despite all the times I have driven on the same road.
Oh yes, we had a wonderful time at the place! Fantastic suggestion saar! And yeah, the Rapid was perfectly at home in the hills, and the remap was a sweet bonus!

Like you mentioned, due to the roads being really narrow, its very easy to get stuck behind heavy vehicles for several kms at a stretch. Several idiots kept trying to pull off risky overtakes, and we witnessed several near misses.

Talking about the windmills, any way to get up close to them? Long back, when we visited Chaturangapara, we were able to stand right under them. That was really scary!
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:57   #21
BHPian

A trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill Stations is totally different than any other hill station where the drive itself is enchanting. Apart from the hill station, a break in Palani has its own charm. Palani is home to one of the most sacred shrines of the Lord Muruga, as worshiped in the Hindu sect of Kaumaram. The morning climb/walk up the hill is really beautiful. I also have heard of drive from Kodaikanal to Munnar side across the Ghats.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 12:50   #22
BHPian

@GeneralJazz, thanks for the travelogue.

We had a trip to Kodaikanal in April and your travelogue was our reference. We covered almost the same places you listed, the Muncheez cafe, the Mannavanur lake & the boating there; the sheep research center is something we'd have definitely missed without your travelogue.

It wasn't too crowded as we visited on weekdays. The weather was nice was foggy & cloudy.

I am sharing a few photos from the trip.

Near the golf course.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-dsc_0110.jpg

En route to Mannavanur lake.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-img_3091.jpg

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-dsc_9872.jpg

We had to wait 10 minutes to view the pillar rock. It was completely covered by the dense fog and we had no clue where exactly it is.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-dsc_0141.jpg

The lake view from the sheep research center.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-dsc_9939.jpg

Mannavanur lake.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-dsc_9981.jpg

Our hotel, Villa Retreat.

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-img_3063.jpg

Coimbatore Diaries: Weekend trip to Kodaikanal, the Princess of Hill stations-img_7457.jpg

Last edited by robincsamuel : 20th June 2022 at 13:09. Reason: Added missing picture
robincsamuel is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks