Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms (Leg 2) Ranthambore Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa!lor View Post
Hi excellent writeup and travelogue, can you please mention from where did you book online tickets for safari because Rajasthan government does have an official website and app called SSO RAJ for booking online safari tickets and only if you book from this website or app you can get guaranteed gypsy safari specially in hot zones like zone number 1-5 in ranthambore. All other websites are travel agents or tour operators who charge more for safari and provide mostly canter only in hot zones as they are always sold out 1-2 months prior.
Thanks for the appreciation

We did boking through https://www.ranthamborenationalpark.in/ . I am not sure if this is the official government website.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:52   #17

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms (Leg 2) Ranthambore Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks for the appreciation

We did boking through https://www.ranthamborenationalpark.in/ . I am not sure if this is the official government website.
No this is not official government website, this is a private tour agency. Only official place to book safari is SSO RAJ. From there you can directly book a gypsy and gypsy safari charges for 6 people is around 7000 to 8000 rupees including all the permits and gypsy, driver, guide fee.
Sa!lor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa!lor View Post
No this is not official government website, this is a private tour agency. Only official place to book safari is SSO RAJ. From there you can directly book a gypsy and gypsy safari charges for 6 people is around 7000 to 8000 rupees including all the permits and gypsy, driver, guide fee.
Never realized we were paying extra while booking, paid 8K for 4 people for the Gypsy in Zone 10, in fact we paid for 5 people to get the Gypsy exclusive for our group. Thanks for the tip
Old 11th May 2022, 08:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory (Leg -3)

Rajasthan Day 2 started with call from Toyota to pickup the Fortuner for 10K service. With only 8590 kms completed, we didn't have a choice to wait for 10K since it was not easy coordinate service in another town while on the move. Special thanks Jitesh who operates https://arodhanasynergy.com/, he used to be head the service wing of Nandi Toyota. He had spoken to Toyota officials about our trip and Om Toyota GM Anindo Boss and his manager Sunil Jangir was in constant touch with us during the trip and offered any support needed while in Rajasthan. Saithan Singh from Om Toyota promptly turned upon in the morning to pick the vehicle. As always with Toyota, it was a very smooth and pleasant experience (was apprehensive about the 10K getting done in an alien land while planning the trip). Vehicle was promptly returned in the evening with all work completed to satisfaction, having taken the Smiles package from Toyota, the bill was zero.

Mr. Singh from Om Toyota, Jaipur

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304091108.jpg

Thanks to Fortuner, you can carry a truck load if you wish

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220303wa0104.jpg

We hired an Ola and first headed to Hawa Mahal. Inside the Hawa Mahal, we met this gentleman, Gajendra Singh, who served as our guide for that day, and the next in Jaipur. I would definitely recommend his services and can share the contact for interested folks. Hava Mahal, with it's amazing array of windows and very unique design served as a cool abode for the royal women during the Rajasthan summer, most importantly the windows provided a daily view of the outside world to the women. From the top of Hawa Mahal, we got a birds-eye view of Jaipur city, including Jantar Mantar and City Palace. We could see a flag fluttering over the city palace, which signified that the king was presently there inside the palace. After visiting the Hawa Mahal museum, there was a pleasant surprise in the form of our own Cafe Coffee Day housed in a corner of the palace.

Exiting Hawa Mahal, Gajender Singh guided us through a short cut to Jantar Mantar by walk. 'Jantar Mantar' literally means 'calculating instrument'. It is a UNESCO heritage site and houses a collection of 19 astronomical instruments built by the Rajput king Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of Jaipur, Rajasthan. Our guide explained how each instrument worked, and how using sunlight, position of celestial objects etc. could they could predict time, eclipses, position of stars and weather patterns to name a few. It will leave you amazed with the amount of knowledge our country had in those days.

Across the road is City Palace which was the administrative seat of the Maharaja of Jaipur. While it houses a museum in one part, the royal family still occupies other part of the palace. Palace entrance fee ranges from INR 200 to 3000 per person. While the costlier options allows access to some of the inner sanctums, we opted for the cheaper one that provides access to part of the palace and the museum. Key attractions are a darbar hall, galleries exhibiting textiles, arms and ammunitions and paintings. Clean washrooms and drinking water is available in the premises. There was a wedding preparation going on in another section of the palace. We were surprised to learn that part of the palace can be rented for weddings and other functions if you can afford, but our guide didn't have a clue on the expenses involved. Later we found a list of Bollywood celebrities who had tied the knot in Jaipur. We were very hungry by then, and there was a hotel attached to the palace, but our guide promised to take us to a place that serves excellent Rajasthani non veg cuisine. He also said there is a government shopping emporium next to it, so we hired an electric rickshaw which could take 4 people (with guide hitching a ride with the driver). While these ricks seems to be the most common and convenient form of conveyance in Jaipur and many other crowded cities in the north, they are yet to make their way in to South India. Lunch was at https://goo.gl/maps/R2MBoYaJF5tTXJgw9, food included the famed laal maas (goat meat) didn't disappoint us and the service was quick and efficient. We headed to https://g.page/tsscind?share for shopping. They have a good collection of Rajasthani items, but I don't believe their claim of being Government authorized. There is some amount of bargaining you can do though they claim it is all at a fixed price.

Got a call from Toyota around 5 pm saying that the vehicle was ready. I decided to head back to the hotel by cab, rest of the group proceeded to Johari bazaar for some more night shopping after bidding by the our gentleman guide Gajender Singh.

Hawa Mahal

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0003.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0009.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0001.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304121353.jpg
Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304123027.jpg

Bangalore's iconic brand in Hawa Mahal

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304123347.jpg

Sundial

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304125630.jpg

World's largest Sundial

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304121331.jpg

Busy market street of Jaipur ruled by the electric rickshaws

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0002.jpg

Long shot of City Palace, flag states Raja is in

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304121326.jpg

Art work in City Palace

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0021.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305wa0022.jpg

Found this parked inside City Palace compound

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304132617.jpg

With Gajendra, exploring the city in rick is fun

Made a late start around 10 am on next day, headed to Patrika Gate which was just 3 kms from the hotel. Gate has ample parking place, which is a great thing. It has got a very colorful rainbow colored corridor and there was a pre-wedding photoshoot happening in the colorful corridor while we were there. We spent around 30 mins there and our plan for rest of the day was to go fort hopping and close the day at Jaipur with a visit to famed Choki Dhani.https://www.chokhidhani.com/

While at Patrika gate we thought it might be a good idea to take a fulltime guide for the day than finding a guy at each monument, called up Gajendra and agreed to pick him from Hawa Mahal entrance. That proved to be an excellent decision since we never had to hunt for location with him to guide. It was a very pleasant and scenic drive to Nahargarh Fort on the edge of Aravali hills, road passes through the dry deciduous Nahargarh wildlife sanctuary (meaning of Nahargarh is Abode of the Tiger, but seems to have only leopards now). Parking next to the fort was crowded. There was another parking 100 mts away which could accommodate any number of vehicles. Fort offers a good view of the Jaipur town, it should be a spectacle in the night to watch the city lights from there, but not sure if visitors are permitted in the premises after the fort closing time of 5 pm. Nahargarh Fort is also famous in Bollywood for the stepped well featured in Aamir Khan starrer Rang De Basanti.

Our ride at Patrika Gate

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220304143400.jpg

Jaipur town view form Nahargarh Fort, would love to see the lights during night

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305102827.jpg

Lose Control - Yes that was shot here

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0024.jpg

Stepwell and city view

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0007.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0011.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305120203.jpg

Fight the heat with some cut fruits

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305124138.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305123751.jpg

After spending 45 mins at Nahargarh, we drove to the Jaigarh fort, the fort features a cannon named "Jaivana" ,which when manufactured was the world's largest cannon on wheels. By then it was lunch time and we went to the "Jaigarh Restaurant" inside the fort where we enjoyed excellent rotis with lal maas and lassi.

Jaigarh Restaurant

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220305133438.jpg

Huge Cannon at Jaigarh fort

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0009.jpg

Next on list was Amber Fort (aka Amer Fort). This is among the most visited monuments in Jaipur and perhaps the most attractive one, with lots of intrinsic art and mirror work. We stopped on the way to click few snaps of Jal Mahal. At Amber Fort, you have the option to park at the foot of the hill and proceed in a fancy looking electric car or ride like a King on the back of an elephant. We thought of using the electric car since it was too hot for elephant ride. Parking here was small and crowded. Our guide managed to find a slot, while the parking attendant demanded the keys and I was not ready to part with the key. Suddenly people were running from the other side in to the buildings because something had disturbed a beehive and there was a swarm of agitated bees on the path that electric cars and elephants take to the fort. Other option is to take your vehicle through the narrow and winding village roads to the fort or use the shared jeeps running on this route. Our guide was not very confident on taking the Fortuner, saying that the climb was steep and narrow, where even jeep tires loose traction and spin. We assured him that Fortuner is built for such situations, and it was a cake walk for the beast to the top. We spent around 1 hour in the fort including shopping for clothes in the shops attached to the fort. It took us more than 2 hours through the busy city roads to reach back the hotel. At around 8 pm, we left for Chokhi Dhani https://www.chokhidhani.com/ . Being a Saturday evening, it was crowded but there were huge parking grounds near by. Our feedbacks are mixed about this place, where under one roof we could get a view of the whole of Rajasthan, but at the same time it was very commercialized, with a feeling of artificiality everywhere. Food was good, but not great.

Jal Mahal

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0017.jpg

Rajasthan is full of forts

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0016.jpg

Amber Fort

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0013.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0021.jpg

Capsule package of Rajasthan under one roof

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306wa0022.jpg
gadadhar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:48   #20

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory

Dear Bobby

Amazing journey ! btw did you ever had to engage the manual DPF in the whole trip ?
Regarding Toyota 's service I believe anywhere in India its top notch and that is one of the reasons people are prefering the new Glanza against Baleno

Also did you ever had to engage 4X4 in the whole trip ? I gues not unless you did some dune bashing in Rajastan . I am not sure if they have it in Rajastan

thx -
Harish
harifire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:45   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory

Very nice writeup with photos to support

The journey rings a special bell for me as I did the same route in 1998, on a Bajaj Chetak with my newly wed wife we survived the trip and i am still married to the same woman over 24 years
tatafanatic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 16:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harifire View Post
Dear Bobby

Amazing journey ! btw did you ever had to engage the manual DPF in the whole trip ?
Regarding Toyota 's service I believe anywhere in India its top notch and that is one of the reasons people are prefering the new Glanza against Baleno

Also did you ever had to engage 4X4 in the whole trip ? I gues not unless you did some dune bashing in Rajastan . I am not sure if they have it in Rajastan

thx -
Harish
Thanks Harish. Never had to use the manual DPF option till date

Agreed on the service part, and that make us pay a premium for that

No 4X4 during this trip. I think you can do dune bashing near Jaisalmar, but Jaisalmar was not part of our itinerary. Khimsar also might had some dessert tracks, but we had only a night there and couldn't explore much,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
Very nice writeup with photos to support

The journey rings a special bell for me as I did the same route in 1998, on a Bajaj Chetak with my newly wed wife we survived the trip and i am still married to the same woman over 24 years
Thanks tatafanatic. Honeymoon trip on a Chetak across Rajasthan is amazing, would love to see some snaps if you don't mind
Old 30th May 2022, 09:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Leg 4 of our journey was from Jaipur - Khimsar - Jodhpur - Udaipur

It was time to say bye to Jaipur, and we were not in the best of the spirits when we woke up for a different reason. My cousin and his wife had only 1 week to spare and was scheduled to fly back to Bangalore from Jaipur. All four of us were together in choosing the destination, planning, booking and deciding every aspect of the trip, and we were suddenly down to two people for next half of the trip.

We started at 9 am to our next target, Khimsar Sand Dunes. This place was identified as a replacement for the sand dunes of Jaisalmer to save time and fit in to our schedule. It was 257 Kms from Jaipur without much of a detour from the next target of Jodhpur. Perched on the edge of the Great Indian Thar Desert in rural Rajasthan situated in a village is this 5 star property operated by the ITC group.
It has 2 options: a) Resort rooms in the heritage Khimsar fort and b) Stay among the sand dunes in a luxurious hut like structure. Our purpose of visit was to stay and among the dunes so we opted for the huts.

It was a small detour through the village roads and Google Maps guided us to Khimsar fort, which served as the front desk for both the facilities.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img_20220306_133328.jpg

Maharaja of Khimsar seems to have a good taste and has got a enviable collection of Vintage Cars and Two Wheelers. Sorry about the quality of snaps, the glaring sun never allowed me to get a clean shot without reflection from the glass panels

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306142120.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306142112.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306142141.jpg

It took ~10 mins to complete a few formalities at the front desk, and we were given the directions to Sand Dunes. We were told to follow the direction boards and not the directions shown on Google Maps. I later felt that following the map would have given a mild off-roading opportunity since the resort has 4x4 desert drives and the map would have been following those trails. We reached the sand dunes gate that was 8 kms drive though a deserted village without any hassle. Gates opened to reveal end less stretches of the desert and our next ride parked in the form of a camel cart. I was not too happy about leaving the Fortuner out of sight in an open parking, though the entire areas seemed to fenced, but there was no choice since vehicles are not allowed beyond that point.

I will recommend 1 night in Khimsar if you don't have the time and patience for dunes in Jaisalmar (and I haven't visited Jaisalmar to offer a comparison).

Highlights of Khimsar sand dune were
  • Camel cart ride from Gate to the huts
  • Luxurious and very spacious hut
  • Campus is a feast to eyes with the light on
  • Sunset from the top of the dunes
  • Sunrise from the hut verandah
  • Artificial lake with birds
  • Live folk programs in the night

We reached Khimsar at around 2.45 pm and checked out next day after breakfast. Food was tasty but not exceptional and we had similar feeling on the service levels.

Let photos do rest of the talking

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306143712.jpg

Shifted to another ship, left the Fortuner in the parking

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306144718.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306145513.jpg

That was our Hut

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306180514.jpg

Sunset sipping coffee from top of the dunes - We could see many guests coming only to view the sunset by 4x4 resort vehicles. Guess they might have been staying in the accommodation at the fort. We had only 4 to 5 families staying in the sand dunes.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306183215.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306183402.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306183422.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306185438.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306185429.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306185812.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306185840.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306191934.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306183010.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306190108.jpg

Sunrise on next day and few snaps while checking out

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307070852.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307090904.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307110302.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307110326.jpg

TWO in a Box

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307091108.jpg

Lone Rider had come all the way from Bangalore

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220306123508.jpg
gadadhar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 19:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Jodhpur : The "Blue City", historical capital of the Kingdom of Marwar

Khimsar to Jodhpur was 100 kms of excellent highway. Thankfully we stuck to the speed limit most of the time, and we encountered our first mobile radar speed check vehicle in Rajasthan just before entering Jodhpur (not sure if there are fixed cams like in Kerala).

Blue was not seen everywhere

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307130806.jpg

Authentic Kerala meal in Jodhpur

Our first agenda in Jodhpur was to visit the Kerala hotel in KFFC in the cantonment area after so many days of wheat dishes. My brother in law was there previous week and had shared the coordinates https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ke...59!4d73.041927. We were pleasantly surprised by the variety of Kerala dishes they have. Vineesh, the friendly owner from Kozhikode, was happy to share stories about the place and starting of the hotel while serving the food. He was also busy chit-chatting with his regular clients from the armed forces. After a very heavy meal, we stocked some tasty banana chips and other Kerala snacks from the tiny Kerala store near by where we were told that it seems regular stock comes by the train from Kozhikode.

Kerala meals with red rice

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-screenshot_2022053116195266_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-screenshot_2022053116202630_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

And the friendly owner

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307143718.jpg

Mehrangarh Fort

Headed to Mehrangarh Fort after a very heavy meal, but it was too bright and sunny we decided not to go inside. We decided to go to Hotel Radisson after taking few snaps from outside.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307131737.jpg

Mehrangarh parking: Most of the forts have a spacious parking with a parking fee, but we had free parking @ Mehrangarh

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307131909.jpg

Umaid Bhawan Palace

After a short break, we stepped out to explore the city, and headed to Umaid Bhawan Palace. Had a guided tour of the palace. Official palace guides dressed in official palace attire is available for guide service at the palace door, but it was just very disappointing parrot talk by the guide. We would not have spent more than 30 mins in the palace, and then moved to see Maharaja's royal car collection at the other end of the compound. Major portion of the palace is operated as an ultra luxury hotel, run by the Taj group. This is beyond access of the visitors unless you are guest (and that is crazy expensive). There was a wedding related event in progress while we were there.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307150635.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307151700.jpg

Umaid Bhawan Palace miniature in the palace museum

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307152517.jpg

Roman depiction of Mahabarata and Ramayan Paintings in the palace by Famous Polish Artist Stefan Norblin

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307153437.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307153513.jpg

Distant view of the wedding reception at the palace hotel

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307151740.jpg

Inviting roads of Jodhpur

Traffic is moderate in Jodhpur and the roads are wide and neat (especially in the cantonment area) with sufficient parking. It was a pleasure to drive around in the city. We explored the city a bit before heading for some shopping on the circuit road to pick some clothes, bags etc for the folks back home.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307150506.jpg

Cantonment Area

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307150404.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307150029.jpg

Radisson Jodhpur

Modelled like a palace with tastefully done surroundings and large parking space is the hotel. Never seen a Radisson serving only veg food in the past, but we were not disappointed with both breakfast and dinner.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308072051.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307181717.jpg

Ghevar - Sweet of Rajasthan

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307220949.jpg

Unusually tall Rick on Jodhpur street Reminded me about former Australian cricketer Bruce Reid for an unknown reason

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220307125211.jpg
gadadhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory (Udaipur)

Udaipur - City of lakes

It was the 11th day since we started from Bangalore and Udaipur was our final destination in Rajasthan before starting our return through Gujarat, Mumbai, and Kolhapur to Bangalore.

We stayed in a lakeside property called Hotel Lakend. This was the only property that asked for a vaccination certificate during the check-in process. It is a relatively old property, the rooms were big and had huge windows facing the lake offering a very good view of the lake from the room, their restaurants also provide an unlimited view of the surrounding lake.

We decided to head to City palace aided by Google, but got stranded in a narrow street that only a rickshaw can pass through. Managed to make a U-turn with help from friendly localities. We were guided to a parking lot nearby and took a rick from there to the palace. I guess there might be alternate routes since there were few cars parked near the palace. By then it was closing time, so we decided to just stroll around the campus skipping the core sections of the palace.

The rest of the evening was spent shopping in the government emporium outside the palace gate.

Jodhpur to Udaipur

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308100003.jpg

3000 Kms done

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308103536.jpg

Home of marbles I couldn't get a better shot from the moving car, both sides of the Jodhpur - Udaipur had countless wholesale marble shops

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308122415.jpg

Everything resembles a palace in this part of the world
Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308132920.jpg

Hotel room was overlooking the lake

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308144904.jpg

No better place for a morning cup of coffee

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309074153.jpg

There are many bird species in the lake

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308180125.jpg

Rat trap? Yes, but built for a Leopard
Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308161809.jpg

True for the Tiger Trapping King of Indian Jungle needs a real BIG one

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220308161749.jpg

Last edited by gadadhar : 8th August 2022 at 21:12.
gadadhar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory (Udaipur)

Silvassa - A Union Territory, headquarters of the Dadra and Nagar Haveli district

Our return journey had breaks in Silvassa, Mumbai and Kolhapur

Our plan after Silvassa was to pass through the outer part of Mumbai, stay in Mahabaleshwar for two days, and then return to Bangalore. Meanwhile, my cousin who is settled in Mumbai and was tracking my travel updates on social media contacted and offered us the comfort of a home with homely food along with a city tour of Mumbai, the best part of the deal was his offer to join us on the next leg of the trip till Kolhapur. First time during the trip, we deviated from the prefixed plan and rearranged our bookings to spend a day in the financial capital of India.

It was 627 kms from Jodhpur to Silvassa, the majority of the roads passing through the state of Gujarat via Vadodara and Surat skipping Ahmadabad. We started around 8.45 am, traffic was next to nothing on both Rajasthan and Gujarat highways till Godhara, where we stopped for lunch. There was an alcohol check at the Gujarat border since you are entering a dry state and many private vehicles were getting stopped, but they did not trouble us. It was fun driving through Gujarat till Godhara lunch break, but traffic on Godhara Surat highway was a nightmare. Both sides of the roads have endless stretches of huge industries from various sectors, we could find every global brand across all industry verticals to have a manufacturing facility in the state. As a by-product, huge trucks dominate the highways and the Fortuner was dwarfed among the continuous flow of trucks. My wife had taken the wheel at Godhara and she had to drive the toughest stretch among the whole trips.

Silvassa was just a place we chose for a night halt while driving back. While booking I miss judged it as just a few minutes deviation from the main highway, but would have taken around 40 minutes of driving through deserted village roads and semi-forest areas after sunset to reach the resort. The first time during the trip, we were exhausted and were looking badly for a break and by the time we reached "Forest Village Holiday Homes". The resort had very spacious cottages located in a green and spacious campus, and was located at the fringe of a not so dense forest. It was a good feeling to park the Fortuner right in front of the cottage and after staying numerous days at crowded hotels, and we were the only guests in the whole property. They target the weekend crowd from both Mumbai and Gujarat, looking to spend time away from the city crowd, and Silvassa being a union territory, has many things from household items like TV, washing machines, and alcoholic beverages available at a cheaper price. Though it was a detour during the night to reach the place, it was a relaxing stay away from the crowd, that we loved.

Bye to Rajasthan, time to change direction to down South

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309100429.jpg

No vehicle to be sighted in the endless stretch of road

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309095758.jpg

Gujarat - only drove through the state with a single stop for lunch

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309103841.jpg

Alcohol checking at Gujarat border, heard horror stories later about extortion by cops after planting liquor. Not sure if that is true, we were not asked to stop

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309103900.jpg

Maruti Eeco with open boot is the most common form of public
transport

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309113402.jpg

Overcrowded Rick

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309122956.jpg

Gigantic trucks hog the highways

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309165930.jpg

Cars get a free ride - Never seen this in other states.

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220309141807.jpg

Welcome to a Union Territory of our country

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310105421.jpg

Village Roads leading to Silvassa (Snap taken next day morning)

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310103515.jpg

Resort at the forest fringe Beaten look at entrance should be post Covid, but rooms are well maintained

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310073707.jpg

Our man relaxing in front of the cottage

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310073820.jpg

Warli Painting originated among the tribals of Silvassa

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310102052.jpg

Tastefully done Cottage

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310091218.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310091116.jpg

Fortuner enjoying a nice bath next day morning He gets this privileges of unlimited water wash only while in Kerala

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310073131.jpg

Last edited by gadadhar : 8th August 2022 at 21:02.
gadadhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory (Udaipur)

Mumbai - the city that never sleeps

Our next destination was my relatives' apartment in Bhandup West, Mumbai. It was a pleasant 3 hours drive to reach the city suburbs. I was always worried about the traffics in Mumbai, but found it much more disciplined and easy to drive than the chaotic Bangalore traffic.

We did a quick tour of South Mumbai in the evening with my cousin taking at the wheels. Quick snack at Leopard Café, snaps at India gate, a glimpse of VT, Antilia, juice from Haji Ali, drive through the Bandra–Worli Sea Link, airport, etc was packed into a 5-hour capsule trip of the mighty city. We will definitely need many more trips even to get a feel of this wonderful city and appreciate the never-say-die spirit of the Mumbaikars.

We didn't refuel while in Gujarat thinking Silavassa will be a cheaper option, but found 2 bunks on our way was out of stock on diesel. Refueling was finally done from an IndianOil pump after entering Maharashtra, fuel prices were the costliest here compared to all other states. We missed tracking the fuel prices closely, but leaving out Silvasa, KA would have been the cheapest followed by Gujarat.

Glimpse of the mighty City - Remo's Bombay city is still fresh in our minds... The City that never sleeps.....

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101928272.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101919322.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310173851.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220311082546.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310172559.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203102049102.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101750242.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101757533.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310125104.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310123108.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101755133.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310130709.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310202239.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310175240.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310181306.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img_20220310_182314.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203101959493.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220310183008.jpg

Last edited by gadadhar : 9th August 2022 at 16:52.
gadadhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai - Kolhapur - Bangalore (Final leg of the trip)

We left Mumbai around noon, drove through Pune to reach our hotel in Kolhapur by late night covering 359 Kms. Much has been said about Mumbai-Pune express highway. I felt it was not great anymore compared to some of the good highways in TN and what we drove on in MP and Rajasthan. There were fixed speed cameras on the express highway stretch, and there was a cop hiding among the bushes in the median with a mobile speed gun

We had taken Kolhapur accommodation in Hotel Opel. Prime reason were the good reviews about the famed Kohlapuri mutton curry in their restaurant, but both the mutton and the stay disappointed us and the breakfast was also equally bad. All the hotels we stayed during the trip were excellent except for the first day in Sholapur and the last day in Kolhapur.

Kolhapur Mahalakshmi temple was not very crowded on next day morning. Online booking is mandatory, which we did on the spot and finished our darshan in less than 1 hour. We picked few Kolhapuri chappals from a shop outside the temple, but found them not cheap anymore in it's own hometown.

Last leg of 634 kms home were done in 9 hours with a 1+ hour lunch break in my BIL's business establishment at Kittur. Roads were super smooth and being back in Karnataka gave me the confidence to try upper three digit speeds first time during the trip.

Reached home by 6.30 pm, we were welcomed at the gate by my cousin and his wife who were part of the trip till Jaipur and it was party time with friends and family before a late night retirement

Thanks for your patience in following such a lengthy travelogue, I could complete this only because of the support from fellow BHPians. Special thanks to the moderators and Team BHP support team for providing this platform and featuring this in the Hot Threads and weekly emailer.

Last, but not the least is my fellow travelers and my Junior who is also a BHPian (itsnotdeva) for proof reading and editing this though he could not join for the trip..

Signing off.....

Mumbai Pune Expressway has many such tunnels

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220311173518.jpg

Bangalore is very near now

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220311185705.jpg

Our own cherry blossoms

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220311181822.jpg

Sky painted Red

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220311182413.jpg

Kolhapur Mahalakshmi Temple

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312081045.jpg

Highschool near the temple

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312081911.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312084242.jpg

Home.. Sweet Home.....

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312100450.jpg

Suvarna Vidhana Soudha in Belgavi

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312112428.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312112514.jpg

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312125425.jpg

At BIL's factory for lunch

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312124404.jpg

That's where we took the turn on Day 1 towards Sholapur

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img20220312152814.jpg

TEAM in Celebration

Bangalore to Rajasthan - 15 Days, 5050 Kms, 5 States and 1 Union Territory-img202203122151182.jpg

Last edited by gadadhar : 8th August 2022 at 20:47.
gadadhar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:04   #29
BHPian

A wonderful travelogue with well illustrated pictures that complement your writing. Always good to see the Toyota Fortuner being put to use. The Fortuner in my opinion is the perfect mile muncher with adequate off-road prowess to pull one out of tricky situations should a need arise. In short, the Fortuner is an ideal companion for long journeys. Wish you many more such happy and safe miles. Looking forward to your next Travelogue! P.S. Rated this thread 5 stars
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 00:08   #30
BHPian

First off all let me start by saying that surely this trip must have been an enjoyable and memorable one for the entire team. It is a nicely written travelogue with detailed coverage through photos. I did not find the details of your photographic gear. Which camera did you use and did you edit the images before uploading?

I have keenly followed the entire route and your detailed itinerary. I am sure your itinerary would serve as a good reference for those who want to cover these places. I have visited Jaipur, Jodhpur and Ajmer during my school days with my parents. But covering all these destinations by road adds a different dimension all together. You all must be very happy and satisfied to tick these places in your list.
One small request, is it possible to share the pictorial map (google maps) of the complete route?
This will surely help others to do any alterations to fit their travel plan.
Wishing you and your entire team many more trips like this.
Thanks.
PhoenixInRising is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed