Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 12:32   #1

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration

My 2012 Ertiga is about to retire very soon and I wanted a last road trip before I bid adieu to my dear friend. You can find my search for the new car here, I welcome all suggestions. After a lot of planning and failed attempts, the Holi weekend was the best chance I had. My sister and her in-laws were pushing for Rishikesh but I knew since it was a Holi weekend there would be a lot of crowd. After a lot of back and forth I found a great property which was providing camping near the riverside a few kilometers before Lansdown. I sent the picture to my sister, but since we haven't done any camping before we wanted to make sure to see the tents and property before paying any money. And so we decided to wing it!

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713148.jpg

Delhi to Lansdowne

We left Delhi at 4:45, picked up her in-laws from Indirapuram and took the Meerut expressway. Our route was completely dependent on google maps and waze. We took the Meerut expressway > Meerut bypass > Khatauli > Miranpur > Bijnor Bypass > Kotdwar > Lansdowne. The only toll was 95 Rupees on the Meerut Expressway. By the way, ever since fast tag, tolls have become slower, the attendants still enter some details manually before the boom lifts. And some cars will show ID cards and try to negotiate the toll?

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713138-6.jpg

The roads from Bijnor to Kotdwar were absolutely horrible, thankfully because of Holi the traffic was next to none and all cars were zigzagging all the way trying to find some road in between the potholes. Once the incline starts which is barely 30 minutes before Lansdowne the surface is smooth but the roads are single lane and there are a lot of blind turns. Thankfully I have spent my early driving years in Meghalaya and I'm comfortable with half clutch and mountain driving etiquettes. Side note if you drive in North Eastern States all cars honk while approaching a turn, No cars honked in this trip. Considering how intensely blind some turns were, I was surprised.

The Property

We reached the camp by 11:00AM. We checked the facilities and found it decent, negotiated the price a little bit and paid an advance. The weather was a little hot and the tents were preheating under the sun. We decided to go check some cafes or restaurants to have a bite and return later in the afternoon to avoid the sun. Yep, we bailed even before things got tough.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713141-5.jpg

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713139-5.jpg

The Camp property is huge, with little nooks and corners made to give a boho vibe. There were picnic tables scattered around the property. The tents were placed a good distance from each other and even with full occupancy the place was very quiet and relaxing. The property is right next to a shallow river. Which is used only by guests to shower, yes there's no shower. We could take small hikes to find deeper water. The fresh water was very energizing and we had long swimming sessions. We fully enjoyed the property and made a few sightseeing drives around. That's mostly what Landsowne is for and we didn't want to go to crowded touristy places.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713140-7.jpg

After spending a day at the camp we really didn't have much to do, we could either go back or travel to a new destination, after much deliberation we decided to go to Rishikesh and again wing the stay. We planned to reach rishikesh early and search for hotels around Tapovan. We entered Rishikesh within 3.5 hours but the traffic in the city was crazy. The inner roads of the city were closed and all cars were being diverted. We were stuck in traffic for 2 hours!

The frustration

Here's what happened while we were in this mad traffic, all cars lined up to one side of a hilly road towards Tapovan. The cars were barely moving. Two cars behind was a HR registered Scorpio with 5 guys in them. Everytime the traffic stopped one of them would get down and walk to the front of our car, acting as if checking the traffic ahead, but actually staring at us and getting back when the cars moved a bit. It was when the driver got down and walked towards the cars ahead I got a little alarmed. Here’s what was happening, the car is ML registered, I was in the driver seat, my sister beside me, in the back my sister’s sister in law and her cousin. Five desperate boys saw a car with three girls and planned to do a little bird watching while in traffic. I was constantly checking the doors were locked and nobody rolls down their window. There was a moment when our car was next to an ice cream seller. They saw a chance, all of them got down and grabbed popsicles with that same glare in their eyes. One of them was literally peeping inside the rear window about to say something and the traffic moved. Few gearshifts later I saw a turn towards hotels and cottages, I immediately turned the car fearing they also might turn. I saw their disappointing faces in the rearview mirror as they headed towards Tapovan.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713142-6.jpg

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713144-6.jpg

Absolutely disgusted we found a great hotel to stay with a stunning view. We enjoyed the night roaming in Tapovan, buying a few souvenirs. We got healing crystals, everyone at work says it's fake but they look amazing. A little late into the night we spotted the Scorpio passing us, the boys seemed like they did not find a place to stay. We headed back to our hotel and enjoyed the view till the night let us.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713145-6.jpg

We left for Delhi early in the morning fearing the traffic we got the previous day. The road was pretty great with a few diversions every now and then.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713146-6.jpg

Just as usual, our Ertiga happily carried us through the trip. Its gave us fuel efficiency of 18.5 Km/l with air con always on, we covered 666 kms over three days. No fuss, all passengers had ample space and I love how the white gets dirty over a road trip telling everyone “yes, we have been places”.

As I am posting this my Ertiga has already left for Guwahati, I am very happy I could have one last road trip in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713143-6.jpg  

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-msg5666467713147-7.jpg  

derick is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 05:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 09:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post

The frustration

And people wonder why women feel unsafe on our streets! Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience, hope the rest of the trip was good. Idiots like that are the bane of our society, they need to be taught a lesson by cops once in a while and made an example of, only then will things improve. Sadly, the wonderful festival of Holi has become an excuse for all sorts of scum to head to tourist areas and act like animals. You kept your cool though and did the right thing by ignoring them and getting away when you could. You kept your family safe, you should feel good about that.

Last edited by am1m : 5th April 2022 at 09:52.
am1m is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 07:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
We left Delhi at 4:45, picked up her in-laws from Indirapuram and took the Meerut expressway. Our route was completely dependent on google maps and waze. We took the Meerut expressway > Meerut bypass > Khatauli > Miranpur > Bijnor Bypass > Kotdwar > Lansdowne.
The roads from Bijnor to Kotdwar were absolutely horrible, thankfully because of Holi the traffic was next to none and all cars were zigzagging all the way trying to find some road in between the potholes.
We're driving from Noida to Lansdowne this weekend. Thanks for your tips, will keep in mind. Hope the weather there is better than here, it's a heatwave here in NCR!

Upto where is it 4/6-laned? That is, when going towards Lansdowne, from where onwards does it become an undivided 1+1 lane road?

Per below 2017 post it was 4-laned and divided only till Khatauli. Any progress beyond that in the last 5 years?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4255229 (Info needed about Lansdowne)

Last edited by vharihar : 16th May 2022 at 07:44.
Old 16th May 2022, 08:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
We're driving from Noida to Lansdowne this weekend. Thanks for your tips, will keep in mind. Hope the weather there is better than here, it's a heatwave here in NCR!

Upto where is it 4/6-laned? That is, when going towards Lansdowne, from where onwards does it become an undivided 1+1 lane road?

Per below 2017 post it was 4-laned and divided only till Khatauli. Any progress beyond that in the last 5 years?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4255229 (Info needed about Lansdowne)

I travel parts of this route 2 times a month till Bijnor & beyond and travelled just last night from Bijnor to Noida.

Lansdowne, Rishikesh and some frustration-mapnoidalansdowne.jpg

Use google maps and you are set. Till Khatauli you have expressway + highway, so no need to worry.

At Khatauli flyover, you will leave the highway and get into Khatauli town. From here till Lansdowne you will have 1+1 undivided road for the rest of your journey.

Watchout for these sections:

#1: Just after crossing Khatauli and getting into Meeranpur state road, the section for 8-9 odd kms is riddled with deep potholes. Drive slow and be careful.
#2: Ganga bridge area. Potholes have recently been tarred but the quality is bad so can't say when they will get untarred. So, watch out
#3: Bijnor city: OK roads like any city
#4: Najibabad till Kotdwar: Not been there in recent past, but last when I went, the roads are HORRIBLE. Potholes galore and a pain to drive.

Till Khatauli you will have lots of eating joints. Cheetal Grand, just at exit of Khatauli highway, besides flyover is a good place to stop. No good place from there till rest of your journey. One reasonably good place is after Najibabad & before Kotdwar on right hand side. IIRC, it's Khaira punjabi Dhaba.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your drive!!

PS: The other route shown in maps, is longer but has better quality state highway roads with trees providing shade on both sides (once you leave NH at Gajraula) till Najibabad. However, you will have to cross several small towns on the way. So take your pick.
khan_sultan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 22:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
At Khatauli flyover, you will leave the highway and get into Khatauli town. From here till Lansdowne you will have 1+1 undivided road for the rest of your journey.

Watchout for these sections:

#1: Just after crossing Khatauli and getting into Meeranpur state road, the section for 8-9 odd kms is riddled with deep potholes. Drive slow and be careful.
#2: Ganga bridge area. Potholes have recently been tarred but the quality is bad so can't say when they will get untarred. So, watch out
#3: Bijnor city: OK roads like any city
#4: Najibabad till Kotdwar: Not been there in recent past, but last when I went, the roads are HORRIBLE. Potholes galore and a pain to drive.
Reached Lansdowne today. Yeah, after Khatauli it's a pain. Potholes are patched in many places but the patches are bumpy to drive on!

Good news: I saw a large Greenfield 4-laned project under construction by PNC Infratech, near Jalalabad. I believe it's the *New Hwy 34*, viz. This one: https://www.projectstoday.com/News/P...ibabad-section

Once this is built, a drive to Lansdowne would be easier.

Even better news, we saw one more orthogonally cutting large greenfield project is under construction at Jalalabad. Not sure what project that is though. Any ideas?

Last edited by vharihar : 20th May 2022 at 22:55.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks