Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 00:02   #1
BHPian

Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car

Jotting down a travelogue of my recent long drive, primarily to visit Dwarka from Bangalore.

Prologue:
My Mom & I have visited teen(3) out of Char Dhams.
Dwarka was our final frontier.
Amma was mentioning subtly that only Dwarka was left out.
She even started to watch Gujarati news on youtube, and also learnt to write her name in Gujarati along with few numbers.
But when I explicitly asked her on whether she intends to have darshan of the Dwarkadhish, she replied in negative,
and advised me to instead focus on other important priorities in my life.

Few days later, she wrote a short story, and titled it as Gomati.
Gomati was new to my ears and when I asked her what it means, she then started to tell me about the Gomti river ghat and it's sangam in Dwarka.
That was when I realized her yearning to have darshan of the Lord in Dwarka.

Over a year passed, and the Covid induced lockdowns were finally lifted, and now the planning of the trip seriously begun.

Travel Options:
Considered travelling by train and the lone weekly direct train to Dwarka had no confirmed seats available.

Thought of going till Ahmedabad by train, and then renting a car.
Did online window shopping of car rental agencies in Ahmedabad, but somehow their reviews made me strike off this choice.

There is no airport in Dwarka, and Travel by flight to a nearby city was turning out to be expensive for 3 pax.

During discussion with my family, came up with two demands for our government:
  1. Recently, came across news that an International Airport at Kushinagar was built mainly for religious tourism purposes.
    Dwarka also needs an Aerodrome, at least to cater for domestic demand.
  2. IRCTC has Char Dham rail packages, and a new but different package(Shri Ramayana Express) would also be inaugurated in the upcoming days, that even covers some parts across our border with Nepal.
    It'd be of some help if Char Dham tour package via Air could also be facilitated.
Hope our PM and Aviation minister are listening, and fulfill it soon.
देश के नेता, हमारी मांगे पूरी करो |

Finally, decided to travel in our own car as it will allow the flexibility of stopping at other shrines, and many places of interest enroute.

Trip Circuit and POI(Points of Interest):

Bangalore
  • Kolhapur (Sri Ambabai Mahalaxmi Temple, Rankala Talav )
  • Mumbai (Gaudiya Chaitanya Math, Shri Siddhi Vinayak Ganapati Mandir, Mahalaxmi Temple, Haji Ali Dargah,
    Gateway of India, Elephanta Caves, Bandra-Worli Sealink, Global Vipassana Pagoda )
  • Vadodara(Laxmi Vilas Palace)
  • Junagadh (Mahabat Maqbara)
  • Somnath Jyotirlinga temple
  • DWARKA (Shree Dwarkadhish Temple, Sudama Setu, Rukmini Devi Temple, ISKCON temple, Swami Narayan Mandir)
  • Bet Dwarka (Shree Bet Dwarkadhish Temple, Golden Dwarka Paavan Dham, Hanuman Mandir)
  • Gopi Talav
  • Nageshwar Jyotirlinga temple
  • Modhera (Sun Temple)
  • Patan (Rani ki Vav)
  • Gandhinagar (BAPS Akshardham Temple)
  • Ahmedabad ISKCON
  • Kevadia (Statue of Unity)
  • Mumbai(ISKCON Juhu)
  • Kolhapur(Sri Ambabai Mahalaxmi Shakti Peetha)
    Bangalore(Sweet Home)
Humsafar: Passion Red WagonR Duo

Preparation:
My mom was very hesitant to go on drive all the way in Car, as the entire trip distance is around 5000 kms, and it would be driven by a single driver.
I convinced her saying that if at all we encounter any untoward incident during our journey, we can always take a U-turn and cut short our trip,
and need not stick to the original plan.
Even explained her that have opted RSA(Road Side Assistance) as part of my insurance, and in case of any emergency, we could avail towing service.

Additionally, assured her that she can sit handsfree, as I wouldn't bother her to hold my phone for navigation purposes.
Had just bought a new mobile phone holder, and unboxed it in front of her.

Got HSRP(High Security Registration Plate) fitted even though it's not mandated for my old car, as I was circumspect of some traffic cop forcing me to pay up if HSRPs weren't affixed.

Smarty-pants was what my mom teased me after hearing to all my planning and preparations .

D-day arrived.
Journey started at late in the night of 18th May from Bangalore.
As soon as I went on NICE road, there were drizzles which soon transformed into a heavy downpour.
To add to my misery, my new phone holder fixed on AC vent fell off, and the impact broke my coveted gorilla glass.
Heated debates were going on inside my car on whether these were the signs to make an U-turn, and bring an abrupt end to this adventure.

Made a stopover at a highway restaurant, and waited for couple of hours for the furious rain to recede.
Meanwhile, clamped my phone holder to the AC vent near the door instead of the middle AC vents, and it didn't fell off thereafter.
Even with several cracks on my Super AMOLED glass, my phone touch responsiveness was magically working without any niggles.
Eventually, made it to Dwarka and contently spent 5 days over there having darshan of the Supreme Lord.

Statistics:
Not too fussy about stats, but here are few tidbits:
It cost me Rs.1700 in toll charges from Bangalore to Mumbai. Didn't check after that.
Once got mileage of 15.91kmpl in LPG mode and in full tank method of calculation with AC ON during entire drive.

Fuel is cheaper in Karnataka compared to Maharashtra.
Similarly, fuel is cheaper in Gujarat relative to MH.
One can accordingly top-up their fuel tanks.

Felt thugged as soon as I entered Gujarat when I was asked to pay Rs.20 per Tea.
Looks like it's Rs.20 by default in Gujarat side of GJ-MH border, and one has to specify "Chota/Small" tea for a normal Rs.10 cuppa.
Overall, chai tasted best in Maharashtra and also they serve in different vagaries like Basundi, Mauli, Parandharpur.
Don't have business acumen, but an idea sparked in my mind of opening a Kolhapuri styled tea stalls in Bangalore, which I believe would be an instant hit.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-mauli.jpg

Unlike Bangalore, there are plenty of Car taxis plying in Mumbai.
So, booking Ola rides in Mumbai might not be necessary, and Ola is expensive too.

Luckily, didn't have to haggle with Auto/taxi drivers here in Mumbai, and just paid the amount displayed on the Meter.
Hope Bangalore Autowallahs follow Mumbai in this regard.

Mumbaikars might clarify, but it seems on some routes, only car taxis are allowed and Autos won't go, and vice versa.
Example: From Kalanagar in Bandra E, no Auto was ready to go to Siddhi Vinayak Temple, and we had to instead hail a Car taxi.
Likewise, No car taxi was ready to go to ISKCON Juhu from Bandra E, and we instead had to opt an Auto.

Warning:
Entire stretch of around 80kms between Dwarka and Jamnagar is in Pathetic condition with several diversions due to ongoing road work.

Potholes ridden road between Statue of Unity and Ankleshwar.
All the while I was on this patch, was longing to join NH8 soon.

Happened to be on the aforementioned routes at night, and it was a harrowing experience.
Felt I got carried away by many superlatives about the road condition in Gujarat.

Long stretch of road near Hubli-Dharwad is one-lane without dividers.
I once had to bring my car to a fullstop, so as to let a Lorry coming in opposite direction complete it's overtaking manoeuvre.
Hope the concerned state/central government, and Highway Authority widens this stretch on priority.
देश के नेता, हमारी माँगे पूरी करो |

Bet Dwarka is an island, and one has no alternative, but to hop onto the usually overcrowded Ferry service that chugs between Okha and Beyt Dwarka.
Ferry owners should consider adding a canopy to provide some respite from the scorching Sun, or perhaps, Government may try to enforce the same, as otherwise, frail passengers would find this journey difficult to endure.

Could see an under construction bridge that will connect this island to the mainland.
Hoping this bridge will become operational soon.
देश के नेता, ये पुल का निर्माण जल्दी करो |

Special mention:
The Vedic Nachiketa show at Akshardham BAPS temple in Gandhinagar was awesome.
It starts at 8pm. So, one may plan their visit to this place accordingly.
Highly recommended as it was a mesmerizing show which left an imprint even after the show was over.
Assumed it to be just another Laser show, but it turned out to be way much more.

Food:
The passage to reach Shri Mahalaxmi Annachhatra in Kolhapur is dingy, but the free lunch aka Prasad was delicious.
Just don't forget to collect the token distributed inside the Temple.

Food was mouthwatering at ISKCON Juhu Mumbai, and at ISKCON Gathiya in Ahmedabad.

As some wise men said, when we travel afar, something in us will have changed even though everything within might still appear the same.
Unsure, what something has changed in me, but surely, Dhokla, Fafda, Thepla got added to my lingo .

Pleasantly surprised to find Sparrows inside Marudhar AC restaurant on the way from Patan towards Gandhinagar.
After pravachan relating to the story of poor Sudama meeting King Krsna, Panda at Bet Dwarkadhish Temple gave us few rice grains, and asked us to mix it up in our dishes once we reach home for Samruddhi.
We shared some of those grains with this Sparrow, and thanked her for giving us the privilege of feeding it.

I was flabbergasted(yeah, got influenced by Shashi Tharoor's english) by the marked silence of Arabian Sea.
No shor at the shores of either Somnath or Dwarka.
Became watchful on whether there is any storm brewing up at a distance, but gladly, there was none.
There was no lullabies by Arabian Sea which is quite contrasting to the loud Bay of Bengal.

Will let the pictures takeover and do the talking now:

Sunset at Gomati River confluence with Arabian Sea, Dwarka
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-gomtisangam.jpg

Gomti Ghat, Dwarka
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-gomtighat.jpg

Dwarka Temple Flag. Seems, it is changed everyday.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-dwarkaflag.jpg

ISKCON, Dwarka
It's at a walkable distance behind the main Dwarkadeesh temple.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-dwarkaiskcon.jpg

Sudama Setu, Dwarka
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-sudamasetu.jpg

Sri Swaminarayan Mandir, Dwarka
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-swaminarayandwarka.jpg

Golden Dwarka at Bet Dwarka
Shree Golden Dwarka Holyplace is built using American gold, as cited by it's security guard.
Don't know whether all that is glittering here is real or rolled/gilt gold.
This temple has exquisite mirror art work.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-goldenbetdwarka.jpg

All 4 Dhams(Badrinath, Puri, Rameswaram & Dwarka) at one place!
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-alldhams.jpg

Golden Dwarka museum
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-krisnabirthinjail.jpg

Slaying of Mashi Putna by Bal Krishna
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-mashiputnaslay.jpg

Gopi Talav
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-gopitalav.jpg

Gopi Chandan
The soil at Gopi Talav is the revered Gopi Chandan, which is applied as Tilak on one's forehead.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-gopichandan.jpg

Sri Nageshwar Mahadev
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-nageshwar.jpg

Nageshwar Jyotirling
One of the twelve -- Dwadash Jyotirling
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-jyotirling.jpg

Mahabat Maqbara, Junagadh. It's currently being renovated.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-20220425_164211.jpg

Sun Temple at Modhera.
Entry is free for school children.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-suntemple.jpg

Kund at Modhera
Inscriptions by ASI(Archeological Survey of India) highlights "Chaulukya" dynasty.
Initially thought of it to be a typo by ASI after noticing the additional 'u' in the dynasty name, and got confused if "Chalukyas" of Badami in Karnataka reigned in Gujarat too.

Stopped overthinking as curiosity killed the cat, and remembered the Shakespearean quote - "What's in a name?"
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-modhera.jpg

Rani ki Vav.
It's a 7-storeyed Stepwell.
Took few pictures holding Lavender colored Rs.100 note, as the same is printed on the back of it.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-ranikivav.jpg

Rani ki Vav really is wow!
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-rkv.jpg

ISKCON, Ahmedabad
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-admedabadiskcon.jpg

Sardar inside Statue of Unity
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-sardar.jpg

Global Vipassana Pagoda, Mumbai
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-globalvipassanapagoda.jpg

Sri Gaudiya Chaitanya mission math, Bandra E, Mumbai
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-gaudiya.jpg

Shri Ambabai Mahalaxmi temple, Kolhapur
Fortunately, re-visted Kolhapur Ambabai Mahalaxmi temple on my return leg of the trip, and it coincidentally happened to be the most auspicious Akshaya Tritiya day.
My mom delightfully purchased sarees in this temple as well in the Mahalaxmi temple in Mumbai.

Can some forum member kindly enlighten me on what these peculiar pillars signify, as I haven't come across similar structure in any temple that I visited thus far.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-kolhapurshaktipeeth.jpg

Sri Karveer Ambabai Mahalaxmi Temple, Kolhapur.
Appears to be a fusion of Islamic & Indic architectures.
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-fusionislamicindicarchitecture.jpg

Last edited by Prithvi Mundur : 17th June 2022 at 03:08.
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 06:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur View Post
Jotting down a travelogue of my recent long drive, primarily to visit Dwarka from Bangalore.

Prologue:
My Mom & I have visited teen(3) out of Char Dhams.
Dwarka was our final frontier.
Amma was mentioning subtly that only Dwarka was left out.
She even started to watch Gujarati news on Youtube, and also learnt to write her name in Gujarati along with few numbers.
But when I explicitly asked her on whether she intends to have darshan of the Dwarkadhish, she replied in negative,
and advised me to instead focus on other important priorities in my life.
Congrats on your trip. That too a road trip!!!. Good that you covered a lot of places in the trip. Hope everything went fine. Also wouldyou be able to give a break up of your trip day-wise for example, distance covered, hotels stayed, no of days taken etc... This will be helpful for others wanting to do such a trip.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 12:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Can some forum member kindly enlighten me on what these peculiar pillars signify, as I haven't come across similar structure in any temple that I visited thus far.
Attachment 2319776
I have seen similar pillars in other temples, they are called Deepa Stambh. It is used for lighting diyas during temple festivals. Looks similar. May be someone who knows this temple can clarify.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Finally, decided to travel in our own car as it will allow the flexibility of stopping at other shrines, and many places of interest enroute.

Humsafar: Passion Red WagonR Duo

Preparation:
My mom was very hesitant to go on drive all the way in Car, as the entire trip distance is around 5000 kms, and it would be driven by a single driver.
I was intrigued by your desire to drive to Dwarka from Bangalore and then I read you did this in a WagonR, with a single driver. Kudos to you, that is some dedication!
Coyote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 08:51   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your road trip....nice post of your experience. How did u get the hsrp in Bangalore is it through RTO?
samuelv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelv View Post
Congratulations on your road trip....nice post of your experience. How did u get the hsrp in Bangalore is it through RTO?
Hi samuelv,
No involvement of RTO.
I had ordered HSRP for my 2 & 4 wheelers via bookhsrponline.com, and got it fitted at Maruti Suzuki Kalyani workshop on Bannerghatta Rd, as they had that specific rivet machine.
bookhsrponline initially sent me wrong colored sticker for my car(No stickers needed for 2-wheeler), and on complaining, resent the correct one without any arguments or extra charge.
You may call/Whatsapp them for any clarifications -- https://www.bookhsrponline.com/ContactUs.aspx

BTW, traffic police at Gandhinagar, Gujarat did try to challan me for number plates.
Maybe, they did it out of habit, but on pointing out that my plates are already HSRP, they realized their mistake and let me go. A lucky escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
I have seen similar pillars in other temples, they are called Deepa Stambh. It is used for lighting diyas during temple festivals. Looks similar. May be someone who knows this temple can clarify.
Hi thirugata, May I know in which other temples you saw similar pillars. Any place in South India?
I visited Mahalaxmi temple, Kolhapur on Akshaya Tritiya, which is a major festival, but there was no diyas on that night, and did not notice any oil marks either.

Unsure if Deepas are now replaced with colorful lightings.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th June 2022 at 19:29. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 14:27   #8
BHPian

Hi,

I have seen this multiple temples in coastal Karnataka.

Adding a Google search link for Deepa Stambh

https://www.google.com/search?q=deep...h=695&dpr=2.63
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:20   #9
BHPian

I second Thirugata. I too have been seeing these pillars since childhood in temples across Maharashtra and Karnataka, both.

I do not know for certain what these are both I too think upward rounded trunk like jut outs are for lighting deeps, diyaas. So, I would call them Deep-Stambh too. I have seen in most olden (500-1000 year old temples especially built out of stone.

A quick google search on 'Deepstambh' also gives you these similar images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=deep...&bih=789&dpr=1
Dragonheart22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart22 View Post
I do not know for certain what these are both I too think upward rounded trunk like jut outs are for lighting deeps, diyaas. So, I would call them Deep-Stambh too. I have seen in most olden (500-1000 year old temples especially built out of stone.

A quick google search on 'Deepstambh' also gives you these similar images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
Hi,

I have seen this multiple temples in coastal Karnataka.

Adding a Google search link for Deepa Stambh
Hi,
Much thanks for the info. It is Deepa Stambh then.
Must be a herculean task to light up diyas on those many placeholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
Also wouldyou be able to give a break up of your trip day-wise for example, distance covered, hotels stayed, no of days taken etc... This will be helpful for others wanting to do such a trip.
Hi Superchamp,
Much thanks for asking.
If not for your question, wouldn't have found the error I made.
The trip start date is 18th Apr, and not 18th May as in my travelogue(Sorry about that mistake).

Don't have the requested details handy as I'm not used to keeping a note of all these data.
Shall recollect, collate and share these details soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I was intrigued by your desire to drive to Dwarka from Bangalore and then I read you did this in a WagonR, with a single driver. Kudos to you, that is some dedication!
Hi Coyote,
Much thanks for the appreciation
This trip has become kind of addiction. Mostly, we wouldn't dare to do it again, but we keep discussing and thinking of revisiting the now somewhat familiar places .

Last edited by Aditya : 19th June 2022 at 05:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 24th June 2022, 12:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
Also wouldyou be able to give a break up of your trip day-wise for example, distance covered, hotels stayed, no of days taken etc... This will be helpful for others wanting to do such a trip.
Hi, Here is the requested trip report.
Hope it's of some help to you & others

Bangalore -> 635kms -> Kolhapur -> 435kms-> Mumbai ->410kms -> Vadodara -> 390kms -> Junagadh -> 335kms -> Dwarka via Somnath -> 635kms via Modhera, Patan, BAPS Akshardham Gandhinagar -> Ahmedabad -> 635kms via Statue of Unity -> Mumbai -> 390kms-> Kolhapur -> 635kms -> Bangalore

Detailed itinerary:
Pilgrimage to Dwarka from Bangalore by car-itinerary.jpg
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed