Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 06:13   #61
BHPian

Re: A Failed Road Trip | 800+ kms in a day on a 2 stroke

This is the first time I am seeing someone chronicling a so called "failed" roadtrip. Its no mean feat to realize one's limits, for the day, and retreat safely. You preserved your sanity and self, and which is why you are writing this travelogue. Many of us would fail to retreat in such situations and end up in a disaster. I have been through this and what I learnt is that we should have plan B ready instead of pushing our limits. Often when we are in the moment we are not able to think clearly and end up making blunders. You may or maynot realize that this itself is a brilliant trip, as they say its about the journey not the destination. This experience will help you and all of us plan our roadtrips realistically, better and safer in future.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 08:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great adventure @boniver. The experience, while not pleasant, is certainly not as scary as the title made it seem. This trip is certainly an experience you will reflect on for a long time. If you decide to, and complete the journey on the same motorcycle, it'll certainly make for a good memoir given your wonderful writing style.

While I've done a 4000+ km journey solo, at no point I would have dreamed to do what you did. So kudos to your courage.

One tip - hope you got the electricals checked on such an old motorcycle. My friend was riding his uncle's Suzuki motorcycle from Mysore to Bangalore (150 km) and the headlamp bulb failed (low & high beam). Luckily he was will into Bangalore city, so he made it home fine.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 08:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

What an honest and gripping write up. I was glued to it and felt relived when you reached back Banglore.

IMHO, this is not a failed trip by any means. 800+ km in one day , and that too by this old motorcycle is an achievement
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 13:16   #64
BHPian

Very well written. Reading your post, I felt like I was actually there. Thanks for sharing!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:55   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boniver, I love your spirit which is adventurous and at the same time, realistic. Kudos for the attempt, man. My personal daily driving capacity in a car is 600 - 700 km, so can only imagine what one must go through on a motorcycle. That too an old 2-stroke . The automotive equivalent of that would be me trying to attempt this in my 25-year old open Jeep.

You really know how to write. I don't read travelogues, but yours was absorbed word-to-word. You've just inspired me to do a solo road-trip in my car. Don't still know where, could be anywhere (1st choice = Goa).

Keep riding, brother . And hope to see you behind the wheels of a car too!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 17:37   #66
BHPian

Loved the write-up. Cheers and kudos for your attempt.

What you went through is only normal, this will battle harden you for the next attempt.

I have some tips for you, being a marathoner myself.

I have 3 rules that I have never violated, ever!

1. A run planned cannot be canceled
2. A run started cannot be short terminated
3. What's visible is achievable

The third one is especially helpful when the 'little guy' turns up from inside at the 35th KM and starts to talk. Says he 'what's left to be proven, let's just go home - nice coffee, warm bath, good sleep'.

That's when the 'big guy' needs to be invoked to talk down the 'little guy'. Says the big guy - see the next traffic light, we reach there and walk for a minute, catch our breath, and then off we go again or see that big shady tree we reach there have a sip - should be good for next few kms!

All the best!
kjayant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 20:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In such situations, it may help to flag down passing mini trucks and ask how far they are going.
I tried this for 10 minutes in Nellore, but didn't have any luck. Decided it was better to just push off rather than waste any more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhalla View Post
What a great courage you got. Hats off for you.
Good luck for your future trips.You own a wonderful gem of a bike. Keep rocking. Rated 5 stars to your thread.
Thank you so much, for the kind words and for the stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiredd1005 View Post
Like they say, it is better to try and fail than never try at all!
Thank you! I've realized I do need to work on my fitness if I have to continue being even half as adventurous in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
A couple of years down the line, you will miss this spontaneity of youth and the exuberance which makes it possible. So to me this sounds like an excellent adventure and if that was the plan, then its mission achieved.
Yes, that was one of the main reasons I decided to go ahead with my plan. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to ride such a long distance on a 2 stroke again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
Firstly, what a wonderful write up and thanks for sharing an experience.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Congrats to you, for even making this attempt.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamleshp View Post
Wonderful write-up boniver. Like in a story, rather a movie - I was gunning for the hero to win.
Deep down I was disappointed that you turned back, more so when reading the grit and grind of the return leg.
Thank you! I too was disappointed when I took the U-turn, but towards the end I would've given up anything in the world to teleport myself and my bike back to Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
It was really brave and bold on your part to ride after a surgery. Liked your end comments - May we never stop being adventurous!
Thank you! I got the surgery done during my exams and wrote the rest of my papers with a half-swollen face, so going on the ride was nothing compared to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truezealous View Post
You have excellent write-up skill I must say, completely hooked up till the end. Glad to know you reach Bangalore safely.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Excellent writeup. Kept reading till the end. Wishing you many more happy memories with your bike in Kolkata.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsurti View Post
You tried. Failures are steps towards success. You may not have gained the result that you wanted, but there are other things like this writeup and your experience which are indeed something to add to your memories. We certainly enjoying reading your experience.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
But even prouder of your courage to honestly embrace the so-called 'failure' and to flaunt the bragging rights for it too. Many people usually want to brush such stories under the carpet for fear of their vulnerabilities coming out in the open and for fear of them being judged. You, on the contrary, have done exactly the opposite!
Thank you so much, for the stars and more so for the kind words. Like I've said before, I contemplated for many days before actually waking up one morning and writing this. Even midway through the post, I was on the verge of just closing the tab. Now I'm glad I wrote it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
I do not say it is failed trip, you did what was right. Sometime in life we have to take pause or back off. This is not weakness but maturity.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Mach View Post
Attempting this plan on a 2 stroke itself is an achievement! Glad you put your experience in this travelogue and reached back safely @boniver.
Sometimes crazy things are necessary to test your mettle and this will be one of those experiences for you. And a great coffee table conversation for you for the rest of your life!
Thank you so much Jesse_Mach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit27 View Post
Keep up the spirits and next time make sure to take some friends along.
Interesting to see the readings on your odo for a near vintage bike
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, none of my friends are the "long ride on a bike" type, and no one had the same destination as I did!
I got the bike last August with 99500 on the odo, so I've roughly covered a little over 4000kms in 10 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
Great write up, Boniver!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjagtap View Post
Making me nostalgic about my college memories. Thank you for this post.
I'm hoping that wasn't the last last time. I love Bangalore and I wish to return there for my next job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You did 800 kms in a day. So the bike is capable. You only have to be mentally prepared for the ride for the full journey.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
An 800 km trip on a 2-stroke motorcycle in 2021-22!! Well, well.. it is usually hard to pleasantly surprise a jaded soul me. But you managed to do it.
Thank you so much! Hopefully I'll be able to put in a few more trips on these bikes before they're banished across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Saint View Post
Wow, your writing skills are amazing! I could live every moment while reading your posts. It takes a lot of courage to write about a failed journey and post pictures of an antique bike. Hats off to you, brother! Three cheers for you!
Thank you so much X-Saint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
As few members already mentioned above, I am also just curious to know why didn't you move forward another 250 kms instead of returning back 400 kms? Was it the road conditions compared or the feeling to be back at home after a tiring day?
Please read my response to Rajeevraj's post, on page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I strongly believe your two stroke cheer girl will take you to the same exact location with a happy ending.
Thank you for the kind words! I'm not a big fan of the saddle sore challenge, and I wasn't even aware of the criteria to be fulfilled. Either way, this was purely for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
But I guess, we should respect the engine and most importantly the climate when we do such trips. I avoid drives in my car during summer (March, April & May). I only plan trips once there are rains and there is greenery.
Thank you. I did not have access to a four-wheeler in Bangalore, and there was no other bike I would've wanted as my companion. I used the vehicle I had with me, and I also did not have the luxury to wait for better weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajram View Post
Kudos to having tried and figuring a safe way out.

Reading your log - seems like the fatigue due to the lack of sleep and heat must have got to you.
Thank you, those were probably the root causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Excellent Write-up Boniver !! You literally took us with you on this trip. Pardon the Hindi but this experience reminds me of a Javed Akhtar Ghazal which says - "Kyon Dare Zindagi Mein Kya Hoga Kuch Na Hoga To Tajurba Hoga"
Thank you dada. Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
@boniver what matters is at the end you reached your destination you planned for even it meant making changes midway and rerouting back towards your house in Bangalore.

P.s - Why did you change your front sprocket to a bigger one? Adding a front sprocket with an additional teeth is like adding a rear sprocket with additional three teeth and vice versa when you reduce it. A larger rear sprocket means you get more torque and can get off the line quicker but reduces your top speed.
Thank you for the kind words, SnS_12! I love the Yamaha RXs too, my other bike is an RX100. It is currently undergoing restoration (my summer DIY project), and I hope to have it running soon.

I was under the impression that a larger front sprocket is equal to a smaller rear sprocket, which would reduce my acceleration but increase my top speed. I didn't want an increase in top speed, but wanted a more relaxed ride at the top end. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Great writing. It takes some effort to admit to giving up on a trip like this but clearly the adventure brought out the best of your literary abilities.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
Brilliant writing. Felt like I watched a suspense thriller movie...The best tip to sail through such situations is to ride with a friend. In such cases I always say "Two is company, Three is crowd... but One is lonely"
Thank you! Like I said before, I don't really have friends who enjoy riding, and none of them had Calcutta as their destination anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
What you did, is what true motorcycling is about - "Have a motor on 2 wheels? Will travel"
It's not a failure in my books. It's a "to be tried again".....

@boniver - I wish you many more years of safe riding!!! All the best!!!
Thank you so much for the kind words, Indraneel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
The next time you plan, especially on a two wheeler (sorry for a bout of gyan, as it rains outside) - try to sleep and rest at nights and take enough breaks in hot afternoons. Neither the Sun God at its helm is amicable to riders, nor you can replace a night's sleep with any other relaxation technique
Thank you for the advice, I will keep them in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
One of the nicest trip reports I have read on these pages. I am positive that you will complete this trip in winter. Once the road trip bug bites you, it won't let go.
I hope to ride down the same route in future too! Thank you so much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
It is a brave thing to take a 2 stroke bike and do an unplanned trip! Next time, prepare well in advance and please don't deviate too much from your plan. This is a lesson. Not failure. Keep riding
Thank you aveoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Boniver, going through your write up, the only thing came to my mind...
Been a long time since I've read that poem. Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
I still use that bike and love it a lot.
This was the first bike I bought with my own savings, and the first vehicle registered to my name. Since I dragged it back to my hometown (and plan to drag it around with me wherever I go next), I'm sure I'll own and ride it for decades to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile_Breaker View Post
I am hoping that very soon we will see you undertake another road trip and would get to read another intriguing travelogue!
Thank you for the kind words Mile_Breaker! I'll make sure I'm well rested the next time I set out on a long ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
That said, if you ever try this expedition again, trust me, you will complete with ease. Now, noone has to tell you how to prepare for such an expedition. You will do exactly everything needed automatically
Thanks funkykar! Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
I was tensed reading this and relieved after you reached home. You sure would accomplish this as you said, you're young and have many more years in you. Who knows, I might be reading another article titled, A Successful Road Trip on 2 Strokes!, soon.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
This is the first time I am seeing someone chronicling a so called "failed" roadtrip. Its no mean feat to realize one's limits, for the day, and retreat safely. You preserved your sanity and self, and which is why you are writing this travelogue.
Had I completed the journey, I think the story wouldn't have been half as interesting as it is now. Well, there's always a next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Great adventure @boniver.
One tip - hope you got the electricals checked on such an old motorcycle. My friend was riding his uncle's Suzuki motorcycle from Mysore to Bangalore (150 km) and the headlamp bulb failed (low & high beam). Luckily he was will into Bangalore city, so he made it home fine.
Thank you landcruiser123! Everything on this bike is new, the electricals, the carb, the wheels, cables, everything you could think of, except the paint. I've spent close to 50k in the past 10 months bringing it to a shape where I was confident of it making the trip with ease! In any case, I even had spare bulbs with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
What an honest and gripping write up. I was glued to it and felt relived when you reached back Banglore.

IMHO, this is not a failed trip by any means. 800+ km in one day , and that too by this old motorcycle is an achievement
Thank you SJM1214!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Very well written. Reading your post, I felt like I was actually there. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words, adwaith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You really know how to write. I don't read travelogues, but yours was absorbed word-to-word. You've just inspired me to do a solo road-trip in my car. Don't still know where, could be anywhere (1st choice = Goa).

Keep riding, brother . And hope to see you behind the wheels of a car too!
Thank you GTO! Glad I could inspire you to go on a solo road trip! I do drive my car quite a bit when I'm home, but those stories aren't even 5% as interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
Loved the write-up. Cheers and kudos for your attempt.
Thanks kjayant, for the kind words and the tips. I was into long-distance cycling for quite some time, and went swimming regularly as well. My dream was to take part in triathlons, but could never do it as I just can't get myself to run beyond a km or two!
boniver is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 19:01   #68
BHPian

Lovely write up and such a well thought out event to write about! The fact that all didn't go as per the plan probably was the biggest draw as it made the experience more human.
Old 20th June 2022, 23:12   #69
BHPian

Very nice write up @boniver. It has been a delightful read. Really appreciate the candor to put together such a nice write up on a failed attempt. I am referring to it as a failed attempt only from the fact that you had to abort your plan. But riding 800 kms in a single day in searing heat and a contrasting rain and closing the day without any damages is a big achievement in itself

As some others have already suggested earlier, you were betrayed by your exhaustion and lack of sleep and nothing else. I have been a regular on Blr - Nellore route and have driven thru that route numerous times under different road conditions including the times when it was a 2 lane road all the way till you hit NH 16 at Naidupeta. The toughest part of that route till this day happens to be the 2 lane highway between Renigunta (near Tirupati) and Naidupeta because of the sheer amount of the traffic and the dangerous driving every one involves in. People drive like crazy on this road, especially the 25 odd kms till Kalahasti. Even with a car, I pick and choose my timings on when I cross this stretch during the day. Otherwise even driving an automatic car with a/c on, this stretch feels like endless and causes a lot of exhaustion. Additionally the heat and temperatures in that part of the world in Jun along with all the coastal humidity will sap you out of energy. So I can fully understand what you went thru riding that stretch.

As they say, hindsight is 20-20. But reading your journey, it looks like you are pretty close to getting a heat stroke especially due to the dehydration caused by the excessive sweating induced by the usage of that leather jacket. Removing that jacket as soon as sun came up would have helped your cause a little. However, instead of heading back or heading up north till Vijayawada, it would have helped you a great deal, if you had called it a day in Nellore and picked a hotel there. Its a big enough city with all modern amenities and you could have as well tried to do a quick fix for the seat. A good sleep in an a/c room with some good food would have rejuvenated you.

Nevertheless it was a great learning experience and I am sure you will implement all the learnings from this attempt into your future trips.

Keep up the spirit and Happy Travelling
mchandra13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 23:02   #70
BHPian

Hats off to you @boniver, it takes courage to listen to your heart at right time. I am glad you did it no matter the outcome.

I am the guy who never took the plunge of riding a bike across country when I had chance and a 2 stroke TVS Suzuki AX100 in my college. I rode it a lot around city but never could go on a cross country ride.

I am sure I too would have ended up like you if i had tried a cross country ride on a 2 stroke bike.
I recently did a 3 state drive though in the comfort of my car but it was the biggest adventure I had in a long time. No regrets left anymore.

Do try to finish the dream of this cross country trip in a bigger bike and under more favourable weather with planning. Good luck!

One question - do we have official WhatsApp groups statewide or even citywise? How do I get invited to Pune or Maharashtra WhatsApp group? Much appreciated if If anyone can help.

Last edited by Strider24 : 23rd June 2022 at 23:05.
Old 24th July 2022, 23:35   #71
BHPian

Dear Boniver,
May YOU never stop being adventurous!
In medical journals failed or unsuccessful case reports are NOT published.
Only successful cases are published.
Here you have penned a Failed Road trip.
We all have one such trip in our lives.
Once I planned a trip to Goa from Davangere during my college days and cancelled it after the cab arrived at home because of bad weather in GOA!
You went ahead with your plan.
You Started your journey.
For me you have travelled close to 900kms in a single day on 2 stroke bike.
It's not the journey, it's the experience that you got which will last a lifetime after this adventure of yours.
You have penned it well.
Believe me when I read your experience, I got nostalgic and remembered a trip I had done at midnight in heavy rain on a Suzuki Samurai.
I was 21 then.
We all did something crazy.
For me, it's the START that matters.
Drive safe.
Waiting for your next write up.

Last edited by matchvan : 24th July 2022 at 23:46. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 27th July 2022, 18:24   #72
BHPian

@boniver thank you for penning this one. It felt as though i was actually travelling this route while reading it. That was one courageous act that you did. May you be able to successfully complete this travel in coming days/months.

This brought back memories of my bike ride from Pune to Nashik that i did in summer of 2010. Very small distance comparatively but was my first (& last) long bike trip.
Old 7th August 2022, 16:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
What next, you might ask? I cancelled my train tickets, put my bike on a truck to Calcutta and took the next flight out of the city. In between, I took the bike on a 30km ride around the city, and visited my favourite places one last time.

My bike is on its way to me.... As soon as I get it, the first thing to get replaced will be the seat. I still have painful memories of that.

That was my story. I'm looking forward to the next long ride on a 2-stroke, hopefully, I'll be able to do it before these wonderful machines get banned all over the country.

May we never stop being adventurous!

You ended on the right note and in the right spirit, maintaining future hopes and plans.

Your tale brings back so many memories - Of Chittor and Koramangala; of a painful factory-issue seat; Of dizzying summer heat (in a properly "safe" biking jacket!) on a 2000-km trip; of inopportune punctures, and downpours and exhaustion... And yes, all of it on little old two strokes. Some of it seems slightly crazy in retrospect.

At 50+ I just completed a long, hard route (with family) in a car, and wondered at a number of points whether I really and truly would ever want to bike it again, as I had in the past - but whatever am so glad for those times and would go so far as to call them formative, if I had to re-live those years would do it all over again.

As some rightly commented, you can learn a lot from such experiences - so much of a practical nature and hopefully about oneself as well. The pressing of our limits and even the miseries themselves can grow and mature us if we let them, and to that end none of it should be seen as failure.

80kmph is a good enough speed; As you indicated the bike seemed up to it mechanically, and in better weather with little things like a waterproof luggage cover, better ventilated jacket, and improved seating you might have felt more inclined to persevere, likely would even have enjoyed it.

So hold out for someday...

I do think that on little bikes (most bikes really) a lot more fun and entertainment / interest is to be found on the smallér byways... For that you do need considerably more time. The prospect of a couple weeks of fascinating rural and small-town sights is a much more positive IMO than the monotony and dread of three days on sun-baked, fast-moving and mostly boring "arrow straight" interstate highways. Just something to keep in mind. 100cc-sized bikes weren't made for the latter, can be a pleasure on the former.

One of my most satisfying rides ever was on a 1992 KB100, taking about a week across Uttarkhand, HP to Nepal...

Have done similar on longer-distance trips in the U.S., those also on small bikes - and came out favorably with SO much to see and enjoy and experience along the way.

Btw I have upgraded seats, but never yet had one on which my ass didn't start hurting after awhile. They don't call that U.S. event the "Iron-Butt" competition for nothing. Heat stroke isn't something to mess with.for sure; As for one's posterior there are various proposed solutions, among them the natural numbing effect that lies somewhere beyond the pain... :-)

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 7th August 2022 at 16:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks