Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2022, 11:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alfa Romeo: Mega-drive through Europe to participate in unique 12in12 event in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Can you bring any car to the event or does it need to be a Classic? Obviously more fun in a classic but not everyone has one.

It is for classic cars only. They will accept the odd Young timer. Note there is no real definition of what constitutes a classic car. Usually anything over 25-30 years is considered a classic car. Young timer definition is even more illusive, but roughly anything sort of 15 -25 years.

You will attract a different kind of crowd when you let modern cars participate. Also, it becomes more and more difficult to compare times and number of passes driven. Tony builds the starting grid based on the car’s power, weight and age. The more powerful cars are at the rear of the starting grid.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alfa Romeo: Mega-drive through Europe to participate in unique 12in12 event in Italy

What an experience, just reading through the details took me to the roads you were on!

Thanks for sharing

I have never driven a car on European motorways but have travelled in bus from Netherlands to France and Germany. And that was also during a peak European summer.

By reading your posts here, I recall the journey that we undertook back then - good long stretches of roads + vivid countryside + disciplined riders all along.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 12:07. Reason: spacing for improved readability
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 12:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic story telling. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this is what the motoring world will like in the future for driving enthusiasts when driving will be more of a hobby than a necessity.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 18:09   #19
BHPian

Thank you sir.

Beautifully written account of an memorable drive. You wanted to give us a flavour on what it is to be travelling by car in Europe and you have captured it so very well. I loved the nice stories and the ways you and others took mechanical issues in your stride.

The mechanical empathy you have with cars just shines through and what can I say about having a spanner mate? just Fab
GreenerPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 00:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Another great motoring adventure, beautifully documented!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The big difference between Europe congested motorways and Indian motorways is lane discipline. If it’s a 2, 3, or 4 lane motorway in Europe people will stay in their lane. In India on a 2 lane motorway you will have 4-5 maybe even six cars driving next to each other.
I now hate that, and look at all the empty road, thinking what a waste of space: if this was India we'd be using it! .

In London, it used to be less controlled, and people-intelligence (I know, but actually there is some) was more trusted. At busy times, we used to form two lanes where there was only one, and use that space. Then came the people who thought this was bad for us and stopped it.

Jeroen, all those different European toll machines would confuse me badly! British supermarkets must have had self-check-out machines for a decade, but, on my rare visits to my mother country, I still hate to use them unaided.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 06:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Great experience, thanks for sharing, Jeroen.

More than anything else, I absolutely love the camaraderie between Peter and yourself, and the way you've narrated the whole trip. Friends who just know each other, and always have each others back... nothing else compares.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:42   #22
BHPian

Absolutely pleasant read. More than your cars, I tip my hat for both of you. Always calm under difficult situations & focusing on solution more than the problem.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 12:06. Reason: spacing for improved readability
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks