Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 15:46   #1

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol

It was time to explore the mystic and beautiful Ladakh in my new Jeep Compass MT Petrol. In Aug, 2021, I was part of an off-roading trip to cover the hinterland of Ladakh and Zanskar valley. However, this time it was to explore the tourist destination with my wife Ritu, as my co-pilot. The route chosen was Gurgaon- Chandigarh- Manali- Leh and from Leh town, explore the famous spots like Tso Moriri, Pangong Tso and Nubra Valley. The total distance covered was 3300Kms.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-route.jpg

It was a 20 days trip which involved crossing some of the highest motorable passes like Khardung la, Talang la, Chang la, etc. All these passes are over 16000ft in altitude and require physical and mental preparations to tackle the health issues, which can occur due to high altitude terrain. The basic principle of going to high-altitude areas is summarised in the wording of Prabhu Deva Song, "Urvashi Urvashi take it easy policy".

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-lama.jpg

It was also to check if the Jeep Compass MT Petrol version is good enough for such a trip. I had purposely gone for Manual Transmission. In my old school thought process, one has better control with manual transmission on ascents and descents. The vehicle lived up to expectations with few glitches, primarily due to my not understanding the clutch release and stop-start function. The overall mileage of the trip was 12.6Kmpl, which is quite good considering the terrain, traffic and road conditions.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-kmpl.jpg

Day 1
On 01 Jun we started from Gurgaon for Chandigarh. The distance is approximately 300Km. We took the Western Peripheral Expressway to avoid the Delhi traffic. The speed limit of 120Kmph on the expressway allowed for testing the vehicle's handling at speeds over 100km. It was a pleasure to drive and there was no body roll. The suspension managed the undulations of the road at high speed smoothly. One felt safe and secure in the vehicle. Even at an average speed of over 100Kmph the vehicle gave milage of approximately 15 KMPL. Instead of following the NH1 throughout, we took a detour at Shahbad to go on Shahbad- Saha Highway, this road joins NH344 after Saha and goes to Chandigarh from Nada Sahib Gurudwara. We halted at Ramgarh Heritage Hotel for the night. The traffic is very low on this route and Ramgarh Heritage Hotel is an ideal property for night halt as it is outside the Chandigarh City.

Day 2
My day two journey was approximately 250 Km to Bhuntar near Manali. Since the road is under construction at many places, I started at 0600H to avoid traffic. However, I made the mistake of taking Baddi – Nalagarh route in place of Rupnagar – Kiratpursahib road. Despite leaving early in the morning there was heavy traffic and it took nearly 10h to reach Bhuntar. Since I got delayed due to Baddi and Nalagarh town, the delay was further compounded due to heavy traffic up to Bilaspur. There is a cement factory in this town and there is heavy truck movement up to this point. The road before Kulu Tunnel is especially bad and prone to long traffic jams. I stayed at JJ by Vivaan Resort. Decent property and comfortable stay. One had to go inside the Bhuntar town to reach the property.

Day 3
I have served in High Altitude areas in my Army Service but now have a problem acclimatizing. Moreover, I was the only driver and had to plan my route to ensure proper rest. I had planned a two-night halt at Gemoor Khar, which is 5 km short of Jispa. It is better to go back to NH rather than trying to go through Bhunter town. One saves time and is not caught in the city traffic. Manali to Atal Tunnel at this time of year is a heavy traffic area with frequent traffic Jams. The road is narrow and has switchbacks. Once you clear Salang Valley, the road is wider and traffic also reduces considerably. Enjoy a Bhutta (Corn hob) baked on coal on the roadside in the cold weather, it is a must-have stop.
At Atal Tunnel it is big mela but once you enter the tunnel the traffic is smooth and the ride enjoyable. It is indeed a marvel of Indian tunnel engineering.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-atal.jpg
After Atal Tunnel traffic is smooth and the road condition is also good. Gemoor Khar is at the same altitude as Leh town. I recommend a two-night halt to help you acclimatize to the high altitude and also to prepare for the road trip from Gemmor Khar to Leh, during which one has to pass through four high passes namely, Baralacha La, Nakee La, Lachung La and Talang La. Talang La is at an altitude of 17480 ft. Since you are not stopping for the night at these passes, two-day acclimatization should help you pass through with ease. The Manor House at Gemoor Khar is a beautiful property and offers a mystic view of the Lahul Valley.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-gemoor.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-view-gemoor.jpg

Day 5
I again started at 0600h in the morning to avoid the traffic rush which comes from the Manali to visit Baralacha La. The road up to Sarchu is a mixed bag. The Zing Zing Bar switchbacks are challenging, at the same time, Chandra and Surj Tal are beautiful Glacier Lakes. Enroute to the Baralacha La.
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-chandra-tal.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-zing-zing-bar.jpg

At Sarchu Plains, the Tsarap River create a mystic view which is very difficult to capture by mobile phone camera.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-sarchu-plains.jpg

Sarchu is also the border between Himachal Pradesh and the Union Territory of Ladakh. One has to pass through Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh police check posts which record your name, the number of passengers, vehicle type, registration number and mobile number. By the way, Airtel does not work beyond Manali up to Leh and Jio works at places. BSNL works in most places.
The road from Sarchu to Pang is bad and tests the suspension of the vehicle to its limits. Also, there are places where one can do some off-road driving. Be careful and take these tracks based on your driving skills and capabilities of your vehicle, word of caution, do not follow the local drivers blindly. Jeep Compass except for its rattle proved that it is capable of handling this stretch with ease. The power was adequate, only one had to keep track of the RPM and gear choice. The other problem is the Motorcyclists, along the route. Many people rent bikes at Manali and are part of biking trips with very little or no experience of hill driving, they create problems as are more interested in making videos rather than focusing on driving. They will try to cut across when you are negotiating switchbacks on the inner side causing a problem for the four-wheel drivers. It will be prudent to mention that there are several four-wheel drivers also who are a nuisance on this road.
From Pang to Leh town road is very good. Morey Plains and the Talang La offer a beautiful view but keep in mind Talang La is the highest altitude you are crossing.
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-morey-plains.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-talangla.jpg

We reached our Hotel, the Saraha in Leh town by 1800h. It took us 12h to cover this stretch. Remember between Jispa to Leh there are no washrooms available. So be prepared for nature's call-in nature. Also, the last petrol pump on this route is at Tandi in Himachal and Karu in Leh. Jeep Compass has good tank capacity so tankful at Tandi was good enough. It is better to have a provision to carry a reserve, it was a mistake I did and had to modify my travel plan to accommodate the refuel stops.
We carried a basket with good thermos and tea-making items. There are several places where you can stop and enjoy a cup of tea as per your liking. There is no dearth of tea stalls enroute but the Boot Café as we called our tea basket in the car boot made the trip more enjoyable.
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-boot-cafe.jpg

Day 6 &7
After a good night’s sleep, we decided to explore Leh town and visit a few eating places. We avoided the places like Leh palace or Shanti Stupa as had twisted my ankle before the start of our journey and moreover due to the heavy tourist rush. Bon Appetit, on Changaspa Road lane opposite Moravian Mission School, is a great eating place but little hunting is required to reach this restaurant. The view from this restaurant is mesmerising. They serve modern western food. The trout preparation was really good. We tried the Tibetan Kitchen on Fort Road in the evening for some Tibetan and Ladakhi food. The service was quick and the food was delicious and authentic in taste.

The next day we went to explore Lamayuru, which is about 114Km from our hotel. Enroute, we visited the famous Pathar Sahib Gurudwara. Lamayuru is famous for its Moon-like landscape, the Multani Mitti hills suddenly appear in a rocky and desert-like landscape. One can visit Lamayuru Monastery, but we chose to go to Moonland top Viewpoint. This offers a beautiful view of this landscape.
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-lamayuru-landscape.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-moonland-view-pt.jpg

On our way back we stopped at Uley Ethnic Eco Resort at Uleytokpo which is about 50Km from Lamayuru towards Leh. There are two resorts side by side with the same name, the only difference is that the one I am recommending is called Ethnic resort. It is having a vegetarian restaurant where they serve organic food. The resort is inside an orchid with apple, apricot and plum trees. For general information, the resort is owned by the brother of Mr Sonam Wangchuk, who was the inspiration for Amir Khan's role in the movie Three Idiots. It is on my list of places to stay for my next trip.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-uley-ethnic-restaurant.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-uley-ethnic.jpg

Day 8
We started for Tso Moriri and refuelled our Jeep at Karu. Tso Moriri is 200 km from Leh. You move on Manali - Leh road and after Upshi the road diverts towards Tso Moriri. The road follows the Indus River and till Kiari it is very smooth with beautiful views. However, after Kiari till Mahe, from where you turn towards the road leading to Tso Moriri, the road condition in patches is bad due to widening of the road. In most places, the road is quite bad and surely tests your driving skills and the suspension of the vehicle. Kyagar Tso is a small lake short of Tso Moriri, the view and tranquillity of the area made us halt and enjoy the view with a hot cup of tea from the Boot Café.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-kyagar-tso.jpg
Tso Moriri hotel accommodation, in general, is very basic and one should go prepared for that. Cell connectivity is also non-existent. We had booked for two nights but due to bad hotel conditions cut short our stay to one night.
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-tso-moriri.jpg
As I had no provision for carrying extra fuel, I changed my planned route for Pangang Tso, from Tso Moriri- Chushul – Lukung to Tso Moriri – Karu – Pangong Tso. I drove back on the same route and halted for Night at Karu.

Day 10

We started from Karu for Pangong Tso via Chang La; the total distance is 116km. The day was overcast and it started snowing as we reached Chang La. There was an Army convoy on the move and with fresh snow, the road had become quite challenging around Chang La. Chang La to army convoy ground the road is under construction but a small patch ahead of convoy ground is just a mud track. There is a steep climb where this track joins back the road alignment, the snow made the track slippery and most vehicles were getting stuck. However, Jeep Compass did not disappoint me and with little aid of clutch, brake -accelerator combination was able to rev up the engine and crossed this patch with ease.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-chang-la.jpg

The road after this small patch was good and at Darbuk, the road bifurcates with one going towards Nubra valley and the other towards Pangong Tso. It was snowing during most of the journey, but by the time we reached Pangong Tso, it was clear. The hotel experience was again bad at Pangong Tso. Travel India and Hotels had booked us for some Norlings Cozy Cottages at Lukung and it was a disaster. There were many like us who were cheated by TIH and were at the mercy of this hotel staff. We later found out it is better to book accommodation in a place called Spangmik, which is ahead of Lukung. Though all are very basic hotels due to terrain and eco restrictions but the camps are better organised at Spangmik.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-pangong-tso.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-pangong-tso-1.jpg

You will find several yellow scooters and famous Three Idiot stools on the banks for photography memories. For us the view was more interesting than any other thing, you can blame it on the generation gap. Kindly book in advance or else you will be paying up to Rs 20,000/- for a room. A family with old parents was stuck due to snowfall and had to pay Rs13000/- for one room for a night. It is quite cold at Pangong Tso and one should carry enough woollens. Moreover, both Tso Moriri and Pangong Tso are over 14000ft in altitude, so acclimatization at Leh is essential.

Day 11
We were booked for two nights at Pangong Tso but seeing the condition of the hotel we left after one night's stay. The drive from Pangong Tso to Hunder in Nubra valley was the most scenic one. We were so engrossed that did not click a single picture enroute. Sometimes it felt like you are part of a Sci-fi movie and have landed on an alien planet. As we left in the afternoon after initial traffic at times for miles, we never crossed another vehicle or a human being. As we had cut short our Pangong Tso stay and had booked online at White Sands Resort for a night at Hunder. The rooms were spacious and aesthetically done up with all the comforts. As the altitude of Hunder is lower than Leh, one feels the difference in the quality of sleep and breathing while walking around. There is a petrol pump at Khalsar, so fuel up here. There are two petrol pumps coming up at Diskit, but during our trip they were non-operational.

Day 12

We checked in The Stone Hedge, one of the best hotels for stay if you want to enjoy the Luxury at this location. There is a stream flowing through the property and the view is breathtaking. Rooms are luxurious, well designed for comfort and spacious. Since the hotel is made from Mud bricks it retains heat and rooms are comfortable even without heating. The hotel also organises
Ladakhi Cultural event for the guests in the evening.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-stone-hedge-stream.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-stone-hedge-view.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-stone-hedge-cultural.jpg

Day 13
While I enjoyed the spa and the beautiful settings of the hotel, my wife went around the place to visit other properties of the hotel. Also close to the Hotel is a Monastery and Old Fort. Both are good trekking sites.

Day 14
On day 14 we drove to visit Turtuk, which is about 60Km from Hunder. Turtuk was part of the POK and was retaken by India in the 1971 war. Also, one can visit Thang, the last village on LOC which is ahead of Turtuk village. Enroute, one crosses the Shyok War Memorial. A reminder of what cost has been paid for the security of the nation. The road up to Turtuk is in good condition and one passes through Partapur and Thoise.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-shyok-memor.jpg

On our way back we visit the Diskit Monastery. This is one of the best view point to enjoy the mystic view of Nubra Valley.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-nubra-valley.jpg

Day 15
We started our journey back on day 15 intending to reach Karu via Khardung La. The road is good on this stretch. However, due to the tourist rush, Khardung La is overcrowded and there are traffic jams when you near the pass. Due to snow, the road is narrow and a lot of tourist vehicles are parked making drive tedious. We chose Karu for the night stay as this allows you to miss out on the Leh traffic the next morning. We refuelled our vehicle as after Karu, next Petrol Pump is at Tandi, a distance of approximately 340 Kms.

Day 16
We started at 0600h to avoid traffic and drive up to Pang as narrated earlier was enjoyable with good road and view. We passed through the bad patch of Pang – Sarchu and reached Gemoor Khar by 1600h. We stayed for the night at the Manor House.

Day 17 &18
After early breakfast we started for Manali, as it was raining the usual tourist traffic was not there and we reached our hotel Anantmaya Resorts on Naggar Road by 1200h. The weather was lovely as it was raining and the property with its well-manicured and laid-out lawns was the ideal place for a two-night stay. The Flat Plate Cafe close by serves the most exclusive gastronomic delights which put you in a food coma. The rains and rising clouds in the valley further added to the mystique of the mountains. We did not venture out as it was pouring on both days. The view was beautiful with clouds rising and the room balcony was the ideal place to spend the days. Our evening was made more interesting by live music played by Mr Dev with his Saxophone, playing old melodies.

Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-anantmaya.jpg
Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol-mr-dev.jpg

Day 19
The day was clear after heavy rain on the previous day. This time I took the Kiratpur – Rupnagar route and the drive despite Bilaspur truck traffic and bad patches was better than the last drive on this route. We reached Chandigarh and stayed at Hotel Fort Ramgarh. It is not the same hotel where we stayed on day 1 of our trip, the only difference in the name is Fort Ramgarh Heritage Resort by the Welcome group. My advice will be to book the Welcome Group property.

Day 20
Last day of the trip the NH was a good place to drive after the hills. Built like a tank with adequate power and good suspension it was a treat to race back home. All good things come to an end and so did this one.
There are a few points which I want to share with you all as a checklist if making this trip

(a) Get your medical done and get your vehicle serviced.
(b) Book your accommodation in advance. Do read the reviews about the property as what is given on the websites is not what you find on the ground.
(c) Make a proper medical bag with the following items
(i) Oximeter. Don't panic if your O2 saturation levels are in the 80s, that
is common at high altitudes.
(ii) Portable Oxygen cylinders.
(iii) Digital thermometer.
(iv) Generic medicines for common ailments.
(v) Dimox 250mg for Altitude sickness.
(vi) Band-aids and dressings.
(vii) Nasal Saline and spray.
(viii) Prescription medicines if any.

(d) Make arrangements to carry extra fuel, or else make sure you check where is next petrol station on the route you are taking. You may have to modify the route based on fuel constraints.
(e) Carry adequate woollens, never get out of the vehicle without wearing a woollen cap and jacket. The temperature outside and wind chill factor must always be kept in mind.
(f) From Jispa to Leh there are no washrooms enroute, so be prepared, especially if you have ladies accompanying you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th June 2022 at 10:39. Reason: Very minor typo fixed.
Amit Maratha is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 19:02   #2

Re: Exploring Ladakh - Jeep Compass MT Petrol

Congratulations Amit Maratha for your successful trip. Thanks for your detailed inputs on your trip. Awesome pics and your well meaning advice was a bonus. Hope to make it one day to these mystic lands.
RaviKancha64 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 19:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on succesful trip. Thanks a this log with nice photographs.

Just a small correction, Sarchu & Pang have many tent accomodation with proper washrooms.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 23:45   #4
BHPian

Beautiful write up and photos! Threads and trip reports like yours truly make one want to plan one of their own. Congratulations on your trip and thank you for sharing, hoping I can do one of the myself soon!
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 07:22   #5
BHPian

I noticed this is your first post on TBHP and it is a travelogue! That too refreshingly crisp with awesome pictures!
You surely have started off with a bang!
Looking forward to many more such wonderful travelogues from you in the future.

Quote:
require physical and mental preparations to tackle the health issues, which can occur due to high altitude terrain. The basic principle of going to high-altitude areas is summarised in the wording of Prabhu Deva Song, "Urvashi Urvashi take it easy policy".
I have heard this quite a few times. Could you please elaborate on this? What issues exactly can one face? Physical I can understand. High altitude = less oxygen. So stamina is one obvious thing. But how does mental preparation come into the picture?
Old 27th June 2022, 10:28   #6
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue! We recently bought a Jeep Compass (though AT/DDCT Petrol), and this is an inspiration for making those 'long' trips. Very interesting read, and informative.
car-go is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:42   #7
BHPian

Great write up with beautiful pictures. The grey Compass gels well with the surroundings, feels like its natural habitat. Wish you many a great adventures ahead with your Compass.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:07   #8
BHPian

Nice travelogue.

Quote:
Day 1
On 01 Jun we started from Gurgaon for Chandigarh. The distance is approximately 300Km. We took the Western Peripheral Expressway to avoid the Delhi traffic.
I live in Noida and when it comes to approaching NH1 whether for a visit to HR, PB, HP, or Chandigarh. I take EPE and avoid Delhi at all costs despite the fact that via Delhi it would be short.

Quote:
Day 2
My day two journey was approximately 250 Km to Bhuntar near Manali. Since the road is under construction at many places, I started at 0600H to avoid traffic. However, I made the mistake of taking Baddi – Nalagarh route in place of Rupnagar – Kiratpursahib road.
Did you enable Google Maps and sought its assistance to reach Bhuntar when you were at the outskirts of Chandigarh? The reason, I am asking this is: that a few years ago I enabled google maps on the outskirts of Chandigarh for Manali. It took me via Baddi - Swargath - Bilaspur route to Manali instead of Rupnagar – Kiratpursahib road.

Kindly throw light on the engine's ability to cope with the inclines. I presume the lack of power, torque compared to the 1.9 Multijet Diesel may have enabled you to extract more out of the petrol engine as compared to the Diesel variant.
Old 27th June 2022, 18:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Congratulations on succesful trip. Thanks a this log with nice photographs.

Just a small correction, Sarchu & Pang have many tent accomodation with proper washrooms.
Thanks for the update. we kept looking at the Road side eateries but non had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I noticed this is your first post on TBHP and it is a travelogue! That too refreshingly crisp with awesome pictures!
You surely have started off with a bang!
Looking forward to many more such wonderful travelogues from you in the future.

I have heard this quite a few times. Could you please elaborate on this? What issues exactly can one face? Physical I can understand. High altitude = less oxygen. So stamina is one obvious thing. But how does mental preparation come into the picture?
It is a misnomer that there is less oxygen in High Altitude terrain. The oxygen composition is the same as on plains. The problem is low pressure, which makes oxygen molecules less dense. As we go high due to low pressure with each breath you inhale less oxygen. which leads to Hypoxia, you will feel breathless even if not doing any activity, have a high heart rate, problems with sleep, low O2 saturation levels and nasal dryness. SO prepare yourself mentally that with acclimatization these symptoms with subside. In acute cases, you may have headaches, nausea, even nasal bleed and hallucinations. But such events will happen if you do not acclimatise properly. Every human response is different, some take very short to acclimatise and some take longer. SO don't try to emulate others, look at your body and the signals it is giving you. Don't hide any adverse symptoms as the easiest remedy is to drop the altitude and take the medication in time. If you are caught in the second or third stage area without proper acclimatisation things can turn serious in a very short time. So mental preparation is to accept that your body will behave in a different manner and you have to accept to follow the protocols for high altitude acclimatisation.

Hope I have clarified the issue and not further confused you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Nice travelogue.

I live in Noida and when it comes to approaching NH1 whether for a visit to HR, PB, HP, or Chandigarh. I take EPE and avoid Delhi at all costs despite the fact that via Delhi it would be short.

Did you enable Google Maps and sought its assistance to reach Bhuntar when you were at the outskirts of Chandigarh? The reason, I am asking this is: that a few years ago I enabled google maps on the outskirts of Chandigarh for Manali. It took me via Baddi - Swargath - Bilaspur route to Manali instead of Rupnagar – Kiratpursahib road.

Kindly throw light on the engine's ability to cope with the inclines. I presume the lack of power, torque compared to the 1.9 Multijet Diesel may have enabled you to extract more out of the petrol engine as compared to the Diesel variant.
Google maps can not be relied upon completely. I am aware of the area and know that Baddi route is bad but in distance terms it is short. I tried early morning drive to beat the Baddi Nalagarh traffic but it is of no use. So even if Google Map is suggesting this route try going only up to Rupnagar and then on the way keep adding your destination.

I have not driven a diesel variant of Compass in such terrain, so won't be able to tell the difference. However, since I have an MT system you can rev up the engine and the car just takes off even on inclines. However, due to bad road conditions, the speed falls so to keep the vehicle on optimum RPM one needs to move to 1st or 2nd gear. The problem is that in the 2nd gear RPM requirement to have sufficient power to tackle an incline is at least 1500 RPMs, this is not possible so have to be in 1st gear well in time or you will stall. So my recommendation is that if you are going for a petrol engine it is better in MT for such terrain. This is not a technical review but more based on the driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Nice travelogue.

I was aware of the problem of the Baddi route but thought that an early start will help me beat the traffic on this stretch. This route remains busy at all times and it is best to avoid the same.

For the petrol engine with MT, one has to keep track of RPM at all times. The bad roads lead to slow speed and hence low RPM, the engine has sufficient power to tackle the inclines if you are in the correct gear. I did some off-road driving on the way between Sarchu and Pang. Not the extreme climbs but less steep ones. the vehicle responded well and never had a problem with power. in first gear even at RPM of 1500 Jeep Compass responded well on the climbs. The problem was in gravel area where the grip issue surfaces for a front wheel drive vehicle

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th June 2022 at 19:54. Reason: back to back posts
Amit Maratha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great trip and fantastic clicks. Kudos. What was the average mileage throughout the trip?

Cheers!
Old 28th June 2022, 10:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

What a fantastic travelogue sir. Brilliantly narrated, superbly informative and with beautiful pictures to complement the content.

Road trips in the mountains are truly incomparable, despite all the physical and logistical challenges they may present. Hope to see more such threads on your travels. I loved seeing the Jeep Compass in its natural elements on this trip.
Old 28th June 2022, 10:51   #12

Nice travelogue. Planning trip to leh in my duster. The tips provided by you would be very helpful. Also, is it worth staying at Pangong Tso lake for more than one day?
suchguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 10:57   #13
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I have heard this quite a few times. Could you please elaborate on this? What issues exactly can one face? Physical I can understand. High altitude = less oxygen. So stamina is one obvious thing.
Just on the stamina part, want to highlight that it is not a good indicator for high altitudes. As Amit Maratha mentions below, there's a protocol one needs to follow else it can (and does) go south very quickly. Wherever (defence) units from plains move upwards (and you can make a good assumption that they don't have stamina issues), they do it very slowly. Have seen travelogues here where people move too quickly without acclimatization - the issue is just because it hasn't happened earlier doesn't mean it won't happen.

Everything mentioned below is life saving, it hits so fast if ignored that it becomes critical with realising what has happened:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Maratha View Post
But such events will happen if you do not acclimatise properly. Every human response is different, some take very short to acclimatise and some take longer. SO don't try to emulate others, look at your body and the signals it is giving you. Don't hide any adverse symptoms as the easiest remedy is to drop the altitude and take the medication in time. If you are caught in the second or third stage area without proper acclimatisation things can turn serious in a very short time.

Last edited by One : 28th June 2022 at 11:00.
One is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 15:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Great trip and fantastic clicks. Kudos. What was the average mileage throughout the trip?

Cheers!
Thanks, the average was 12.6Kmpl for 3300 Km long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What a fantastic travelogue sir. Brilliantly narrated, superbly informative and with beautiful pictures to complement the content.

Road trips in the mountains are truly incomparable, despite all the physical and logistical challenges they may present. Hope to see more such threads on your travels. I loved seeing the Jeep Compass in its natural elements on this trip.
Thanks for the appreciation. By the way, saw many Marathanors practising for the Leh Marathon. How about you?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Thank you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th June 2022 at 05:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Amit Maratha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Maratha View Post
It was time to explore the mystic and beautiful Ladakh in my new Jeep Compass MT Petrol. In Aug, 2021, I was part of an off-roading trip to cover the hinterland of Ladakh and Zanskar valley. However, this time it was to explore the tourist destination with my wife Ritu, as my co-pilot. The route chosen was Gurgaon- Chandigarh- Manali- Leh and from Leh town, explore the famous spots like Tso Moriri, Pangong Tso and Nubra Valley. The total distance covered was 3300Kms.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience, the pictures are really breathtaking. Did you face any trouble of power loss on the engine at high altitudes ? I have seen some posts where few Harrier owners have complained of this issue on the web, did you face something like that on your Compass?

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Thanks!

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th June 2022 at 05:22. Reason: Trimming quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks