Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 12:19   #1
BHPian

My road-trip to Panchgani

Road trip to Panchgani

It had been a really long time since we last did a road trip beyond the confines of the city where I live. And the cravings growing with each passing week, and yet on some pretext or the other, procrastination was the order of the day. But finally I decided, the following weekend it shall be, so with was.

The decision to travel taken a day before, a quick Car check, family schedules checked, etc. et all; it was all good and nothing now seemed to be in the way of an exciting trip ahead. I called up a close cousin living nearby to join in, and they were as excited as we were, to get on the road.

And so finally we all packed ourselves into one car and the trip was indeed becoming a reality. We were five of us in all, and this this time I consciously decided to do it with my Baleno (Petrol, Zeta - Auto). We had decided to go to Panchgani, and I was keen to test waters on a highway drive. Though the car was relatively new with barely over 3 years run, even less so with the Covid Lockdowns over the past 2 years. This was hence to be my first such drive. Usually on most such drives, the Duster in the stable often scored ahead in preferences for a highway drive. My son though had done quite a few road trips, and he seemed pretty happy with it- easy pace, no gear hassles on the ghats, decent average, etc. so he said. Writing this travelogue was quite an afterthought and I hence have to apologise that you will not see too many photos here.

The trip to Panchgani measured about120 kms from my place on the western side of Pune and en-route I was to pick my cousin and his wife. So we started off at 7 AM and once the basics were done and all stuff all packed in the boot, we were ready to hit the highway - “hit the owl hoot trail”? Well, let me explain - Years ago with my teens passion for westerns novels and movies,, I would ‘subconsciously’ call any semblance of a ‘country side’ or a ‘country trail’ - “an owl hoot trail” little realising (lot later!) how much out of place that famous western phrase was “in this context”, but nevertheless, my love for the “Oliver Strange’s Sudden” and “Louis l’amours'” would rather subs-consciously tempt the phrase back in, just as I did now, however inappropriate that was . Pardon me for that (again).

As the Baleno picked speed, clearing up traffic behind, and getting cozy on the highway, there was a distinct freshness in the air, away form the hustle and bustle of the city. From an initial groan and pull, the car with its momentum was soon breezing through effortlessly to the point that my cousin sitting alongside humorously commented “don’t you feel sleepy in this car at the wheel? “Of-course yes”, I said, “but can I really afford to, as a ‘responsible’ the man on the wheel” I chuckled

As we graced along the countryside, a few villages passed by and soon enough we had covered about 70 kms after barely over an hour. Yet another 20+ kms past, we were at the Wai junction for taking the turn off the highway towards Panchangi and Mahabaleshwar. But, before that was the climb upwards at the ghats, an acid test for the Baleno Auto. As usual most the trucks lined up the stretch barely leaving any passage for smaller vehicles to pass by. Here is where the test for the car came as you slow down a sharp turn and a gradient. Surprising, we experienced no loss of power and the Baleno was just agile enough to dodge and sprint off ahead of the traffic. Test passed!

It was now time for a short breakfast break. With barely 4 kms down the road after the turn, we discovered a restaurant and were soon hungrier at the sight of other people devouring goodies. The road hereafter was pretty narrow in a stark contrast to the highway, but the drive up this hill was even more scenic indeed. We stopped by a few places to have glimpse of the valley and click a few snaps. This stretch however was no less mean and narrow but the Baleno once again sailed past effortlessly pretty much to our delight. Road condition was decent and smooth.

We soon reached the outskirts and entry points of Panchangi and sure enough were the greeted by a few people lined along day to collect entry tax supposedly . At a first glimpse he demanded 175/- and when I enquired a few details of the charges, he immediately dropped the figure to to 50/- , leading to wonder on how authentic were these charges. With no options, we soon paid and hastily moved ahead before he changed in mind. The doubt on authenticity though kept lingering in my mind.

Once past, we began the real sightseeing looking out for tourist points and great views this place is known for. We stopped by at Parsi point, clicked a couple of photos of the landscape and ourselves in the fore. The rains were scanty and a was no more than a drizzle here and there weren’t enough to dampen our spirits. We did have to do a few necessary sprinting around to dodge the rains which had now gone heavier. We could not miss the line of small shops dotted along the way tempting us to pick a thing or two for the rest of our folks back home.

Then came the most the painful part ie. scouting for for a suitable (read safe!) parking spot before reaching up to the popular Mapro Garden. Surprisingly, despite being a weekend, the streets weren’t as crowded, and hopefully so would the parking blocks. And so it was; there was ample breathing space, with the car safely parked we once again began our tread on the slight gradient uphill towards Mapro. We soon reached there and with some rains around, landed up at the shopping area replete with an assortment of juices, fruits jellies and various other delicacies. we noticed that over the years, the prices of these stuff seemed to have soared manifold. Nevertheless, the family with the “shop we must” spirit soon landed up with both hands full, and not to forget the neatly packaged Khakra fresh out of the Khakra factory. The last I recall, this place was a bustling chocolate factory and now Khakra ! and this too doing brisk business. That’s entrepreneurship, I must say!

By now it was 1.30 PM, and our bellies once again reminding us of their presence. Next hop was at the adjoining restaurant, thin crowd here as well. A bit of a disappointment for us and especially for my daughter; the so popular and yummy strawberry ice-cream was not available. Well, I myself though not a great fan of ice creams, but this one served replete with delicious strawberries was different and so yummy, and even I would often fall for it. In its conspicuous absence, we settled for the usual Pizzas, fries and some juice. No, sweat, we enjoyed that too. A leisure lunch and few photos done, we were ready to head back to the car parking. Clearly, a visit to the strawberry farms was also not an option at this time of the year, with the onset of monsoons.

All settled in the car, tummies filled, tired out a wee bit, we headed back downhill. Traffic was decent and just comfortable for a smooth drive back. The downhill stretch was yet another test for the Baleno. I was curious to observe the CVT control on speed downhill. I must say it was a comfortable drive down. No unnecessary resorting to brakes, except for a sudden car at the bends to slow it down. Otherwise it was all pretty good. Soon we were on the smoother and comfortable highway stretch. Overall the car averaged a mileage of 18kms. Decent enough in these inflation times.

With no pittstops we were back home by 5 PM. A great day spent !

Thanks for reading !!!

A few shots along the way - Scenic without a doubt
Attached Thumbnails
My road-trip to Panchgani-20220703-09.52.49.jpg  

My road-trip to Panchgani-20220703-09.50.07.jpg  

My road-trip to Panchgani-20220130-14.23.22.jpg  

My road-trip to Panchgani-20220130-14.23.00.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th November 2022 at 13:28. Reason: Two smileys/post
sunny13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Re: My road-trip to Panchgani

Pardon a few evident typos, which i just noticed, noticed it a bit late to edit and fix it. This was my first hit at a travelogue. Hope to refine and improvise next time. Thanks again for your patience. Cheers!
sunny13 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks