Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life

Fab read in trademark Vigsom style- keen attention to detail for all travelogues be it in a train, flight, bus, car, ship or a possible UFO in metaverse. This one has a rare sweet ride as well, too bad I'm in my hometown these days, would love to catch up whenever you're next in BLR.
Old 27th November 2022, 19:47   #32
BHPian

Re: Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life

Hey Vigsom, Good to know about your solo trip and thanks for the details enroute which would be of help to others.

Last edited by bblost : 27th November 2022 at 21:11. Reason: Requested by vigsom
Old 28th November 2022, 08:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15 year young Grand Vitara | The drive of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
1. Keep a mobile charger compatible with one's phone, and a fully charged Power Bank as a backup. One doesn't want to be lost in unfamiliar territory with little to no habitation
2. Stop every three hours, stretch, visit the loo and move on after 5-10 minutes, instead of pushing for six hours
3. Review the route recommended by GMaps and take a call, especially if the route is moving through internal roads
On the 3 points above:
  • Solution to forgetting a charger: keep 4 with you. One at home. One in office (if you can), one with your office/travel bag and last one in the car. This I do without fail. Always works. Also a 12V connector with USB is also a good item to have in the car.
  • I always have a checklist of things to pack by the night before. Works like a charm all the time. Even if you think you have planned everything its possible you may have slipped on something. Always good to cross-check. (From basic things like chargers to travel kits to vehicle papers, emission certificates, DL etc)
  • On routes: Like I have mentioned many times on this forum, never trust Google. Always use it as a second source only to verify your choice of route. My solution for that has been Google Maps and Garmin both on-board. Works like charm. A day before one can plan the route on a computer, transfer the plan to Garmin (Route = An ordered set of points. A directed Graph Traversal). This always works.
  • Break points/hotels/food/water etc you have already mentioned.
All said and done, thrill of a long distance solo is one hell of a feeling! Congrats!

Last edited by ampere : 28th November 2022 at 19:47.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 20:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I did GJ-KA again this month; have a few additional recommendations for food and fuel and would also like to highlight the state of sections of the highway:

Food

1. Vithal Kamat's Manor

This place is located on the service road adjacent to the Manor overbridge. Enough signboards on the highway to guide one there. Good food and neat washrooms

Excellent options even at 11am - although the "lunch" menu wasn't active at that time, almost all items on the breakfast menu were available. I had Misal Pau which was served hot and fast, was just right on spice, easy on the tummy. Poori and Chhole was also well done, although the masala for chhole was not OE Chhole masala. Coffee was also good enough.

2. Amar Only Veg Tavandi

A repeat great experience, although the Misal Pau here was a pale shadow of the one that I had at Vithal Kamat's Manor

3. Kamat Upachar Chabbi a few minutes out of Hubballi

Used the washroom but did not dine here since I wasn't feeling too hungry. The place is neat.

4. Sarvodaya Veg at Chitradurga

Two Bonda soup, veg fried rice that was enough for three persons, two cups of coffee and all it cost was INR260. Unbelievable stuff.

Fuel

1. BP Expressway just after Talegaon Toll Plaza

Quote:
BPCL Coco just after the Khed Shivapur Toll - the attendant told me to pay by on line OR by cash as the server wasn't working.
A way way way better experience than what I experienced at BPCL COCO after Khed Shivapur Toll Plaza. No waiting time, great attitude, clean dealings and payment via card. No fuss.

2. BPCL COCO Ranebennur just beside the highway

Quick fuss free experience.

Misal Pau at Vithal Kamat's Manor
Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life-misalpau_vithalkamatmanor.jpg

Vithal Kamat's at Manor
Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life-vithalkamatmanor_1.jpg

Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life-vithalkamatmanor_2.jpg

Uppittu at Amar's Veg Tavandi
Gujarat to Karnataka in a 15-year young Suzuki Grand Vitara | The drive of my life-uppittu_amarveg.jpg

Highway

This is a summary of my observations around the condition of the tarmac at various sections along the highway:

1. Ahmedabad to Narmada Toll Plaza - Very Good for the most part except for the old bridges on the Vadodara - Ankleshwar sector

2. Narmada Toll Plaza to Palsana - Bad. Watch out for pathetic surfaces on bridges between Kosamba and Kamrej, and for sudden craters on the highway

3. Palsana to around Killa Pardi - Good

4. Killa Pardi to Bhilad - Bad

5. Bhilad to Pune - Good to Excellent

6. Pune to Kognoli - Very Good

7. Kognoli to Dharwad - Varying between Bad and Excellent, but Good for the most part

8. Dharwad to Hubballi - Single road but good

9. Hubballi to Chitradurga - Excellent

10.Chitradurga to Tumakuru - Bad

11. Tumakuru to BLR - Average

Last edited by vigsom : 18th December 2022 at 21:13.
vigsom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

10.Chitradurga to Tumakuru - Bad
I am surprised. This got to be one of the best 6 Lane stretches I have driven on. Of the 120 kms between Chitradurga and Tumkur, the stretch of around 5-7 kms on the outskirts of tumkur is bad with craters. Has the road condition gone bad over the past few months?
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:10   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am surprised. This got to be one of the best 6 Lane stretches I have driven on. Of the 120 kms between Chitradurga and Tumkur, the stretch of around 5-7 kms on the outskirts of tumkur is bad with craters. Has the road condition gone bad over the past few months?
This section does get its share of bad days once in a while where the top layer gets chipped off and later develops into potholes too. Many times that I have driven, they shut down one side of the carriageway and re-asphalt the broken sections. There have also been occasions where the roads got leveled around culverts and expansion joints fixed on regular basis.
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:

9. Hubballi to Chitradurga - Excellent
Davangere to Chitradurga is excellent, but Hubli to Davangere the road surface is very uneven although there are no potholes.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks