Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 17:27   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Bangalore - Coimbatore - Bangalore Non Stop! Well almost.

As the title suggests, I had to leave to Coimbatore to get my car back. More on how it landed up here and for how long it stayed kindly CLICK HERE

Was planning to take a bus to Coimby on 2nd. As I was on my way to the KSRTC Booking Counter at R.T.Nagar I got a call from a 16yr old kid. All I heard was ''Going to coimby?" "Saturday I will come too". So I was supposed to figure out that I was to have company if I were to leave on Saturday. Knowing how boring the drive would be alone I rather waited till Saturday.

Come July 7th 07 binz landed up at home at sharp 7pm. We were to drop by a parcel for his friend. And by 7:45pm we were off sitting in the fastest transport in this part of town. The deadly combination of black, yellow and some dazzling LED's. Got off at the bus stand at 8pm. Paid Rs 50 for the auto (if you still haven't figured it out) fare and the two of us ran. Ran in a direction opposite to the Bus Stand. Why? Because we were hungry. Enter, order for two Zinger meals. Take away and out in a flash. Yes, for those in the not so knowhow there is a KFC at Majestic. Bang opposite to the Bus Stand.

Ran back into the bus stand with just 15mins left and we are yet to find out where the platform for the Coimbatore buses are. A few inquiries with local conductors led us to believe that we weren't too far away from finding our bus. And find we did. Gleaming in all its beauty, the white Volvo stood majestically with open doors as if it was just waiting for the two VIP's to arrive. For some reason the TC took another 20 bucks extra from us. Don't ask me why? I never bothered to ask him either. We were tired of running, and all I wanted to do is sit in the AC coach. I am fat you see, so unless you too are its difficult to understand my POV.

By 8:30 we were off, enroute Coimbatore. All the way till Hosur the two of caught up on what I had missed over the last month travelling all over South India. Somewhere I saw a Audi A6 and then I felt hungry. Don't ask me why, the answer is obvious (and for those it isn't we will have one of my beloved friends let it out very soon). After ages, the KFC stuff tasted GOOD. I had but almost stopped visiting KFC as their taste had gone down quite a lot. Oh, AC hey. Peyt puja bhi hogaya, was wondering what next? Obviously sleep, with that beautiful airomatic suspension the bus has you feel like you are on a water bed. And sleep I did like a baby. Till we reached Salem. And after that I was wide awake, well almost.

And then we found ourselves in Coimbatore Gandhivaram (or is it Gandhipuram) bus stand at about 4am. A call to Harrie and I prayed to god that he would wake up. Atleast this time. I had no patience to call him almost like the 50 odd calls I made last time . As I was about to give up the first time and hurl a few expletives at binz. Finally I heard a voice at the other end. I was relieved. For I knew this one time I wouldn't be stranded. 15mins later I got a call saying "I am here, where are you?". I found the gleaming white xenons studded black beauty. And soon we were sitting in the car which was whooshing and taking off like a rocket (though it needs that phus phus sound making device to be a little louder). It was a VRS, haan haan wohi the Skoda wala. The brakes, tires, rims, skirts from which Rtec wanted to make his TDi the fastest RS in town? Or was it the other way round?

10mins later we were at Harrie's house and there she was standing. Waiting (I think) for its hhhmmm well the DRIVER to arrive? A few minutes later we were off with Harrie leading our way in the RS to show us the petrol pump. No luck. Time is still 4:30. Then we head into Residency a 5 star for breakfast. Both of us were hungry, me more soever like a lion. Finally figured out that their 24x7 coffee shop called "Pavilion" was to open at 7. Some 24x7 that! Took this as an excuse to freshen up. 30mins later we were out and headed enroute Bangalore.

Choose the Coimbatore - Bhavani - Mettur - Dharmapuri - Rayakotta? - Hosur - Bangalore route. At Bhavani trying to inquire the route to Mettur we met a 65yr old lady. She directed us, then she wanted to know if we could drop her. Being the gentleman that I am, I obliged (no idea what was going through binz's mind). We drove on, mostly trying to tell her that we didn't understand Tamil. We tried to understand the wee bits, but in complete vain. And, Mr.Iam16yroldtamilian tells me that he can't understand one bit of his mother tongue? We reached Mettur and dropped her off. She blessed us and we welcomed her and we took off. Stopped near the dam for a pic shootout.

The roads were most often than not EMPTY. Speeds ranged from 120-140 in some stretches. I think my over non-enthusiastic speedo showed nothing more than 120 at any time. And If I am to believe it has an error of 20-25kmph. Yes, I am not kidding. But mostly we averaged between 80-100kmph. Drive was excellent, I was glad to be behind the wheels of my ride. Those seats hug you like there is no tomorrow. And they make the seating position of cars such as Elantra, Civic, OHC, Palio, Santro, Alto (cars which I drove in her absence) look mediocre. Then the thrust in 3rd gear with the cam kicking in. It's scary. Its fast.

Then comes the topic of discussion. ADVAN NEOVA's. AWBSOBLOODYBRILLIANTLYFABULOSOME. I can't find words to describe it. It hugs the road, and makes even a good suspension job feel OE. And brakes like Wilwood's. One can't get the rear end out even if you wished to. Ask Harrie, Charan, Binz, Pawan they will agree to this. Though I am sure I know one man who can take it SIdEWayS. No, no not our inhouse Sideways, but viper spelt (sideways? actually cant figure which way) v1p3r. Before he gets to my neck, let me take a few words to thank him. For getting me what is supposedly the last set of Neova's sold in the country. Don't worry, Jitu, Vishal, Ishaan, Bhushan tum logonka number bhi aayega.

I could go on and on and on and on like this. But let me end this rant. Time for some pics.

Sunrise at Coimbatore :

Weird and wacky Santro. Notice the jetting out tires and spoiler.

At Mettur Dam:

Baleno custom made grill for a fellow BHPian. Same thing running on my car too.

Saw this on my way back home :

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 8th July 2007 at 17:32.
Old 8th July 2007, 17:53   #2
BHPian

The moment I saw "Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore", I guessed it got to be Mcl
Old 8th July 2007, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rahul splendid write up bro' .
Sorry for the messup last nite I relly couldnt finish up with the ICE work.

Thanks a ton for whatever mate ' I cant stop smiling .

The Santro looks pretty familiar, coz there is a Santro here in my area on the same lines. Was it Banglore registered?

Binz hope you to had nice trip too.
Old 8th July 2007, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good concise report, happy for you that you've got ur wheels back, must be raring to go on the drive on 15th. I'll try and make it even though I've been advised not to drive.
I too had done a b'lore-Cbe-b'lore trip in my tata sumo in less than 24hrs once, and it was in pouring rain then. Brought back memories of that trip.
Enjoy ur ride.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:08   #5
BHPian

finally back with your loved one.the zen pic you have put the guy stays near my house.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

mclaren - I'll say this once and for all: you're seriously unemployed.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

OK Mc, what was the car doing in Coimby? Or is it that you are trying to build some kind of suspense?
Old 8th July 2007, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Zen. And those are forged, ultra-light racing rims.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
OK Mc, what was the car doing in Coimby? Or is it that you are trying to build some kind of suspense?
Yeah, what were the mods done in coimbatore ? waiting to know.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Time is still 4:30. Then we head into Residency a 5 star for breakfast. Both of us were hungry, me more soever like a lion. Finally figured out that their 24x7 coffee shop called "Pavilion" was to open at 7. Some 24x7 that! Took this as an excuse to freshen up.
Ummm...you hit lottery on the way to Coimby? Cant relate 5 star breakfast to the broke RRK I usually meet on MSN.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

You got the car back finally It belongs to you pal... doesnt wanna leave you. The Mettur-Bhavani road is a beter alternative to the highway there are a few places where you could stop and appreciate nature. I and JKD took this route on our bike yatra to tvm.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Nice Zen. And those are forged, ultra-light racing rims.
from what i have heard the engine performs worse than stock he changes body kits very often this was done by some one from mangalore.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:41   #13
BANNED

Friend had started a body kitting company based from Coimbatore (no its not kitup). My car was slated to be the demo car and was supposed to turn out into something like this.

Thanks to SRK

or

Thanks to akshay1234 for the above pic. He did all the chops as I had requested him too. Thanks a ton guys, you do have talent.

And since we got customers cars to work on, my car work kept getting delayed. And at one point I had a brain wave. I had always preferred a sleeper and I still couldn't believe I had agreed to get a bodykit. Then decided against the whole ego trip. Couldn't go to Coimbatore to pick up the car as I was held up with a lot of work back home. So finally made it to get the car back before dad threw me out of the house .
Old 8th July 2007, 21:51   #14
BANNED

WhiteKnight, with that track there I need to practice you will only see more of Coimbatore from me.

Riju, its ok man. I can understand. But don't worry, the juice is worth the squeeze . And yes the santro was Bangalore registered. Infact the number plates are in Kannada if you look closer.

Lukeskywalker, the plan has been preponed to 14th I guess. And yes I am raring to go for the drive.

Pawan, I have seen the car at Hebbal Flyover quite a lot. Must be from your part of the town. And I think I know who did this job in Mangalore. Btw the cars driven a by a 50+yr Sardar Uncle. Could be shared by his son too but have never seen the younger one drive.

Khader Bhai, no longer unemployed. Taking care of dad's business. Besides my temporary job.

Priyank, lottery hi samajhle. Actually I have a severe health problem, hence need to have breakfast on time and preferably before my tablets. Besides there were other earthly issues why we had to go where we had to. Samjha kar.

Sankar, I agree. I found this route to be more EMPTY and SCENIC. I did stop by a few places to take in the beauty moter nature offered. Though I guess I did 1 mistake. Should have taken the bypass than go into Rayakotta. This stretch was a bit of a mess. Not too much though. The Salem route is very boring.

And guys, thanks a ton for setting aside a few minutes to listen to the rant.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 8th July 2007 at 21:53.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:30   #15
BHPian

mcl quit every thing become a writer and also what have you planned for her return.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks