Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 22:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sailed through Winter Spiti in three Duster AWDs : Snow Drive

Awesome, i kept this open throughout the day to enjoy it and OMG great travellogue!

Did you make any changes to the tires or did you add snow chains? Was there any shortage of fuel?
maddy42 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 00:47   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytragopan View Post
BSNL (for voice calls) works too.
Thanks for the update. Last time when I visited Kaza in 2018, I had a BSNL with me and it was a saviour. Now after Jio got popular, I surrendered the BSNL sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
I was worried a bit as my duster was the eldest among the lot and this trip too it came back avoiding classic Duster 110ps known issues.
Loved the video!

The more we worry about our Dusters, the more they throw tantrums, the less we worry and ignore the car, it fulfills it's duty flawlessly!
All the three Dusters performed brilliantly in this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghyaheart View Post
There's friends like you who's ready to do many things to accomodate something/someone who treats you the same way; and then there are people who camouflage themselves so well that you take them as friends and they don't hesitate to backstab you at the first available opportunity. You know what I mean. Anyways, lession learnt. Hopefully, won't let it happen again.
You are like my brother. I know you for more than 15 years. I can understand how you felt. We missed you in this trip too. I personally know the person, whom you are referring to, just one advice- Move on. Everyone is not the same. We will definitely go for trips together in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
Spiti was a dream trip and I always wanted it to be special and in the company of the special - and that is actually how it all happened.
This was indeed a fantastic trip.
Your post added a whole new dimension to this travelogue with an informative write-up and some fabulous pics, the candids you clicked need a special mention over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Deep View Post
Travelling with Bhpian Samba, DogNDamsel12 and Aray was a delight as they do all these things perfectly to the T and all I had to do, was get my leave sanctioned, pack my bags and fill up the tank to the brim.
It was a delight travelling with you and your parents too.
Loved reading your post, & the pics you shared are just brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
This is a dream drive any bhpian will crave for. Great to see the lovely snaps and every detail of the drive captured immaculately.I'm privileged to know most of you closely from the driver's seat, it really is a great trip to have under your belt.
Thanks Arindam da. The Orange Nexon was sorely missed along with Babula's enthusiasm & Mithi's evergreen smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Correct me If I am wrong here Samba.
Thanks for bringing up this topic. Let me try to share my bit.

Before going for a long trip, I feel one must know his/her car well. I know the strengths & weakness of both my cars and my bike.
When I take them for a long drive, I generally know what all needs to be checked. Taking the basic precautions are always better. Even after taking the basic precautions, no one can guarantee you, that you won't get stuck. But the chances of getting stuck reduces.

Regarding a mechanic, if anything goes wrong in my car, I will definitely like to have a mechanic who will work under my supervision. Am ready to make my hands dirty along with him. Am not 100% confident on changing a major part without the supervision of a professional. I know the theory part, I have taken a bit of training from the service center too. But imagine getting stuck in Kaza and I need to change a part, that will be a huge mental pressure on me.
But in case, I do not find a mechanic, I know what to do. It will take more time, but with the help of my co-travelers assisting me, I will be able to pull it out. Plus I have a good rapport with my mechanics, if required they will guide me over the phone or video call.

Now coming to the people who are not much technically sound or do not have much knowledge about their cars, or do not have much experience in driving, for them they should either visit remote places under the guidance of the expedition teams, or visit more mainstream places first, where if required they will get quick help from the RSA or any FNG or service centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4655 View Post
Amazing post. Now winter visit to Spiti is on my list (like they say God Willing, in my case it will be Wife Willing )
Thanks. As you have already seen Spiti in summer, do plan for a winter trip. I guarantee, you and your wife will just love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Wow, fantastic pictures! To be honest, I was staring at each image for almost 3 minutes. They are wonderful to look at. Thank you for sharing them.
Thanks. And I just completed reading your 1,000 km journey on an Activa! Hats off to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Did you make any changes to the tires or did you add snow chains? Was there any shortage of fuel?
Thanks.
All the three Dusters had AT tyres. We carried snow chains, but it was not required. We have not encountered more than a feet deep snow. So the AT tyres were good enough to cut the snow. The AWD did a great job.
There was no shortage of fuel. But for safety it's best to carry 20L of extra fuel in a jerrycan.

On a lighter note, we take SUVs/AWDs to snow laden winter Spiti, but for the locals it's majorly the little Maruti hatchbacks with few occasional Gypsys which serve them like unsung heroes!
Mahindra, Tata, Toyota and other brand cars are there, but Maruti is still the most popular brand among the locals, and I have seen this across all Himalayan states.

Whatever the condition maybe, 'India comes home in a Maruti Suzuki', this line still holds true!

Pic courtesy - Bhpian DogNDamsel12

Sailed through Winter Spiti in three Duster AWDs : Snow Drive-img_3750.jpg

Sailed through Winter Spiti in three Duster AWDs : Snow Drive-img_3766.jpg

Sailed through Winter Spiti in three Duster AWDs : Snow Drive-img_3794.jpg

Sailed through Winter Spiti in three Duster AWDs : Snow Drive-img_4840.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 15th March 2023 at 01:14.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:11   #78
BHPian

Hi Samba,

That was one lovely written travelogue. The way things got elaborated by you and ARAY made me travel along with you. It was one fulfilling experience to read your travel blog. Very informative with pictures to describe things much better. Wishing you many more happy miles and such lovely trips. Also never forget to pen down the memories as usual.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:54   #79
BHPian

What a great write up Samba your travelogues are always very intriguing, the videos will be such a great help in understanding the different terrains for snow drive. I am planning for Spiti since long and hoping to complete this circuit this year. To start with will do the drive in October can I do it in my Nissan Kicks or will have to take my Thar. Thanks for sharing.
Jajabor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 19:52   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
Hi Samba,

That was one lovely written travelogue.Also never forget to pen down the memories as usual.
Thanks, I always try to pen down most of my trips in Team-Bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajabor View Post
To start with will do the drive in October can I do it in my Nissan Kicks or will have to take my Thar. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.

Generally after 15th of October, the snow-fall in the high altitude regions start to get unpredictable. But even if it snows, I do not think the snow will be that deep in October, that it will trouble a 2wd car, unless you are that unlucky.

If it's in the first half of October take the Nissan Kicks, if it's during the end of October, even then you can take the Kicks. Though at that time, the Thar's 4wd will act more like an added insurance! You can use it, if required.

If you want to go ahead with the Kicks, take it, but for the added safety carry around 20 feet nylon rope, in case it snows hard, you can put it on the front tyres and drive.

Just one thing, I will like like to add is, if anything goes wrong with the Nissan, it will be difficult for you to get a mechanic or procure the spare, for the Thar, you will get that anywhere. After Solan, we could not spot a single Renault service center till Kaza, we were on our own.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Samba : 27th June 2023 at 20:01.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed