Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 05:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I did read this travelogue and liked all the posts. I must say you have a good flair for writing.
Thanks for the kind words. I pen these so I can come back at a later point in time and relive the memories from the previous trips. Hence the attempt to capture some of the smaller and seemingly insignificant details.

Quote:
Australia is on my bucket list from quite some time. The idea is to do a two week offroad vacation and engage in 4WD with camping. Just need to sort out the best places with mild to moderate offroad rated tracks. Some places on my mind are Frazer island. Hope to do something together if times match. If you have some itinerary or list of best offroad places, please do share.
Quoting kiku007 for his attention and inputs, as he has visited Fraser Island twice on rented 4x4s, which is something that would be of interest to you, when planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Fraser Island is a good mix of an offroading and camping experience. However, if you are looking to camp, you need to be quite well sufficient with your gear, which could also include toilet facilities, depending on the sites you book. Some camp sites do have access to shared toilet and shower facilities, so check and decide accordingly. Fraser Island has some sections which are infamous for cars getting stuck, and you also need to be tide smart, which is something the rental agencies are particular about as well, on the times you are allowed to take their car on the beach tracks. kiku007 can elaborate on this. Eastern side of the island will be more exposed to the winds, so that is also something to keep in mind.

Another option is to book a place within the resorts on the island, and then use the 4x4 to go around and explore. This will mean you need to factor for lesser gear to carry around with you when moving around.

School holiday seasons are best avoided, as it becomes harder to find accommodation, and you may be able to squeeze a better deal from the resorts outside this period. The downside to the non-holiday season is the islands can be quite remote in some sections and there will be lesser people around, just in case you need some assistance.

I haven't been to Fraser Island as yet, hence my knowledge is limited to videos i have watched and inputs from those who have been there.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 07:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Australia is on my bucket list from quite some time. The idea is to do a two week offroad vacation and engage in 4WD with camping. Just need to sort out the best places with mild to moderate offroad rated tracks. Some places on my mind are Frazer island. Hope to do something together if times match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quoting kiku007 for his attention and inputs, as he has visited Fraser Island twice on rented 4x4s, which is something that would be of interest to you, when planning.

Fraser Island is a good mix of an offroading and camping experience.
Glad to know that you are interested in 4WD and places like Fraser Island. I've been there twice. I stayed at the Kingfisher Bay Resort and hired a 4WD from the mainland. The 4WD offered by the resort is hopeless for many reasons and the key one being that you have to return them before 5 PM or something. The 4WD offered by Tangalooma resorts at Moreton island also has the same time condition but the vehicles are better and the island is way smaller so it was ok.

I don't own an SUV so I usually rent 4WDs when we visit places like the Fraser or Moreton islands. Since I'm a noob on 4WD, I find the detailed itinerary, weather maps, general guidance very valuable. I just follow what they say and I've been fine.

Do let us know when you are close to planning and I'll pass on whatever information I have. I'm not a camping person though.

I've attached some pictures of the rentals and a sample of the itinerary the rental agency gave me to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_1215.jpg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_1214.jpg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_1213.jpg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_2901-1.jpeg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_2900.jpeg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_0836.jpeg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-img_1416.jpeg  

Bribie Island Reloaded | 4WD Beach Offroading trip | Australia-dsc_1098.jpg  

kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Do let us know when you are close to planning and I'll pass on whatever information I have. I'm not a camping person though.
Thanks for sharing this valuable peace of information. I am interested in the Frazer island 4wd trip and that will be part of my itinerary whenever I do it.
Will surely contact you for more details during the planning.
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this valuable peace of information. I am interested in the Frazer island 4wd trip and that will be part of my itinerary whenever I do it.
Will surely contact you for more details during the planning.
One more tidbit that would be useful to you. When looking for info on Fraser Island, you will come across the name K'gari. This is the Aboriginal name for the island, which is now being used more prominently, so there is a chance you might skip the name without knowing.

Happy planning.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks