Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2023, 18:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!

Arjeplog is a small town in Norrbotten, Sweden (province of Lapland, Sweden) with a premanent population of only around 1977 people (2010 record).

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-arjeplog-map.png

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230224_144928.jpg
Frozen Arvidsjaur (closest town with an airport to Arjeplog)

Arjeplog is surrounded by ~9000 lakes and being close to the artic circle, these lakes freeze in winter which the auto industry realised is the ideal place to test vehicles, especially traction control system like ABS, ESP, tyres, etc. around 50 years ago. In the months when it is most inhospitable with temperatures around the -20 to -30 degrees around 5000-6000 people flock to this sleepy town. Almost every OEM and major supplier has a track here where development takes place or for experience events.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230224_144829.jpg
A test track on a frozen lake

Back in the day, when I picked up my monthly copy of Autocar or Overdrive, every winter would have an ice drive article where Audi/JLR/Porsche/BMW/AMG and the likes would have a media drive in the Swedish Laplands where journos would have the time of their lives learning to drift on ice in powerful cars. A friend in an auto publication also dreamt of getting a chance to go on one of these ice drives, but it was always the editors that took this up (of course !)

I even entered a contest where the prize was an 'Audi Ice Experience in Switzerland' which I ended up winning but Switzerland became MMSC in Chennai - Link to that experience (My Audi Sportscar Experience at MMSC, Chennai) Driving an R8 around a race track was a super cool experience but my ice drive dream remained so.

Fast forward a few years and a job change brought me into the world of vehicle dynamics where winter testing at Arjeplog in Sweden is a yearly affair ! My first trip was back in 2019, but my recent trip last month gave me the chance to explore and admire this place more and we were also blessed with relatively good weather this time.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-img_20190305_203005_2.jpg
Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-img_20190305_203113.jpg
The Arvidsjaur airport scene - A car enthusiast's dream ! (pardon the picture quality, had to remove some people from the foreground to have a clean image)

Reaching Arjeplog is not so simple. The closest airport is Arvidsjaur, but there is very limited connectivity. The more likely airport to land in is Lulea which is about 300 km away from Arjeplog. Taxi services are very limited and very very expensive and hence the best way to travel is to hire a rental car.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230217_140048.jpg
The very small Arvidsjaur airport.

The Indian license is valid for 6 months and is enough to get yourself a rental car. Having said this, driving here is not a piece of cake with no prior experience of driving on snow/ice, especially when it is snowing as visibility is extemely limited. My last trip ended quite badly - details here (Over 90% rear seat passengers don't use seat belts)
In addition you have the added factor of Moose or Reindeer jumping onto the road (not that we Indians are not used to such surprises on the road), but hitting a Moose can be fatal.

Reindeer and Moose also form the core food in this region and is on the menu of all the few restaurants that exist in this place !

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230217_173444.jpg

Collecting my VW Golf 1.5 TSI MT (yes manual) rental car later in the day. Shifting with the right hand does take some time to get used to !

Driving around north Sweden is truly beautiful when the weather is clear. All cars here have studded tyres, so grip levels are pretty good for the most part.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230218_170135.jpg
Normal sunset views around here !

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_080802.jpg
Sunrise on a clear morning

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_084324.jpg
Breakfast views from the hotel. Ahead is a frozen lake

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230218_090054.jpg
A workout every morning to brush off all that snow. Cars here come with heaters that can be plugged into an external powersupply provided in all parking lots so that cleaning is easier and the car stays a little warm. My car had an auxillary remote activated heater which was way more convenient as I could turn it on remotely 15-20 minutes before I had to leave and all that remained was brushing off the snow.

While I had a lot of fun (and learning) driving a variety of cars on the frozen lake tracks with some truly future technology, unfortunately I can't talk about that here. Car control is such a fine balance and it's really really hard to get it right in such slippery conditions (no studded tyres on the frozen lakes) but it is so much fun (especially the drifting) that I can ramble about it all day long !

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_085946.jpg
Studded tyres for the extreme conditions here

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_094702.jpg
The full virtual cockpit in my rental Golf. Had all the other features needed here, heated seats, steering, ADAS tech., electric parking brake...

If not for work, there is honestly not much else to do in Arjeplog. There are a few adventure sports options where you can ride snowmobiles, go skiing, etc. but it is quite expensive.

We took a drive to the Norway border on one of the most amazing roads on a free day and it was an experience of a lifetime.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_110336.jpg
Crossing the artic circle

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_121218.jpg
Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_121238.jpg
Out of this world views. What a drive !

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_121421.jpg
Our small convoy taking in nature's best

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_122509.jpg
Entering Norway and the naviation immediately alerts you

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_122729.jpg
Looking back at Sweden from Norway

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_123217.jpg
VW group parking

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230219_145227.jpg
Standing on another frozen lake

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230223_170259.jpg
You can't get a bad picture in this dreamland !

And now for the icing on the cake with a cherry on top! The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. I missed it on my last trip as we had snow and a cloudy sky all through.

This time as well, we had cloud cover in the evenings and I had lost all hopes of being able to catch the lights. Luckily my last day was a super clear day but the probability of the lights were quite low (there's an app that can predict the possibility based on solar radiation levels in your location)

There was nothing till about 9.30 pm and we had more or less lost hope when we got messages to step out and witness this amazing natural light display. It truly is an experience to see the lights moving around the way they do.

Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230223_211529.jpg
Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230223_211551.jpg
Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!-20230223_211846.jpg

What I witnessed was a level 3.5 on the KP index and hence wasn't as bright to the naked eye (above 5 is supposed to be bright), as the pictures suggest. This was a huge bucket list item that I never imagined I would be able to strike off and I feel incredibly lucky to have seen it.

I would have never visited this place on my own and very few are likely to and hence I wanted to share this experience here. If you are somewhere near the Laplands, you must try to experience it for atleast a day or two.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 7th March 2023 at 18:41.
fiat_tarun is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!

Adding a nice article on Arjeplog which nicely captures the essence of this place.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...ter-180977148/
fiat_tarun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 14:36   #3
BHPian

Re: Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!

Looks like you had a fun time testing cars among great nature!

Would be also interesting to know more about what types of testing you do on the cars specifically, without delving too much into IP or which manufacturer etc. We are ears for more technical takes on the tests done there!

Thanks for the article!
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Re: Winter wonderland | Arjeplog Sweden | The winter testing capital of the world!

Missed out on this one.
Massive regret.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMG_Winter_Experience_2023 .pdf (5.96 MB, 133 views)
divinedoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 16:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

Would be also interesting to know more about what types of testing you do on the cars specifically...
From the OEM end, it's handling, cold weather endurance testing of all components, suspension, brakes, etc. The below FCA video gives a nice overview.

From the supplier / component side, it's usually tyres and ESP systems that are developed here. The ice tracks offer the worst possible friction co-efficient against which the systems can be calibrated and on a frozen lake you have enough run off for even the most extreme maneuvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedoc View Post
Missed out on this one.
Massive regret.
Do go for it next year ! The itinenary is pretty sweet
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks