Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2007, 18:35   #1
BHPian

Welcome to the Scotland of the East (Shillong). Part I of many

Well, it was 3PM today (Sunday, the 15th of July, 2007). Had just had lunch and wifey says "Lets go for a long drive". It had been over a month since we went out on a Sunday and could not risk upsetting her. So I agreed. At 3:45 we were on our way but we had to return by 6PM as she had an appointment with the doctor with my mother-in-law.

We generally don't like going to places where there is a crowd and so we mutually agree for just a drive. This time it was towards a place called Tamabil which is the last village on the Indian side of the border with Bangladesh. This place is also called Dawki. It was about 35-40kms from Shillong. Had not carried any camera and was dissappointed when we saw this.

After a few photos, we head forward and we see fog all over. The visibility was barely 100 mts.

We drove for another 10 mins and the fog grew denser. Could hardly see the road infornt of the car. The phone's camera screwed up so could not take any more photos.

Time now was 4:45PM and we had to stop and turn back. Not that I cannot handle fog but we had to get back before 6PM. So we turned back vowing to return for a drive all the way down to the border, in our Swift coming up next week.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

WOW!

Beautiful pics! Next time, may be, you could bring the car into the picture as well.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:11   #3
BHPian

As I mentioned, these were pics taken with a crappy camera on a HP Pocket PC. Next time, I will make sure that I carry my main camera and also ensure I post my car's pics as well :-)
Old 15th July 2007, 20:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard, many times over that Shillong is beautiful. Your pictures only fortify my belief. You are a lucky man to live there.

I would love to see Shillong someday. Please do post more pictures, when you drive off next time.
Old 15th July 2007, 21:23   #5
BHPian

Saam Baba! Please allow me the pleasure to invite you to this small heaven on earth for us. Be my guest and plan a visit. Stay with us and I assure you you will have fun. This offer is extended to every team-bhpian :-)
Old 15th July 2007, 22:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you tell me how does one get there, from Calcutta?
Old 15th July 2007, 22:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
This offer is extended to every team-bhpian :-)
Hope you don't end up with 250 hungry, thirsty & tired BHPians on the same day. LOL. And do you have your own scotch too ?
Old 16th July 2007, 12:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Can you tell me how does one get there, from Calcutta?
You can fly to Bagdogra (Siliguri) from Calcutta. From Siliguri, you have to hire a car. And no, there are no self drive options.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:56   #9
BHPian

Shillong has a small airport but only small prop plane can land there. Most people fly down to Guwahati and then drive up to Shillong (3 hrs trip). Sorry Shuvd, but going to Bagdogra is a round about way! Unless you delibrately want to take the scenic route...literally! Bagdogra (Siliguri), which is in West Bengal to Guwahati takes about 9-10 hours, and then there is the additional 3 hours from Guwahati to Shillong. But you are right about one thing. If you want to DRIVE from Calcutta to Shillong, then you have to go via Siliguri. The route will be Calcutta - Siliguri - Guwahati - Shillong. It is a bit of the roundabout route as one has to go up north before turning east, as Bangaldesh is between Calcutta and Guwahati/Shillong.

Anyone wanting to go to Shillong has to go through Guwahati. So catch a flight to Guwahati from anywhere in India and take the 3 hrs drive up to Shillong. It is worth going there!!!

Last edited by DriverR : 17th July 2007 at 09:03.
Old 17th July 2007, 09:49   #10
BHPian

As DriveR said, you get to Guwahati and take a taxi for Shillong. Its a 110kms from the airport and takes about 3 hours. Its all the way up to our beautiful hill station through a 99% hilly terrain.
Old 17th July 2007, 09:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Most interesting. Thank you for the info. The reason I asked about Cal, is that I might be going there for work one of these months and wouldn't mind a short detour.
I assume in this case I should fly from Cal to Gauhati and then drive to shillong.
What about these small aircraft? How expensive are they, to fly from cal to shillong? Anyone?
Old 17th July 2007, 10:30   #12
BHPian

The local airport in Shillong is Umroi. Don't take the schedule of the flight till here for granted. It gets canceled 75% of the times. A safer bet is hitching a ride on the Pawan Hans from Guwahati to Shillong. Should take you around a 1000 bucks. The ride is just over 15 mins. (Shillong to Guwahati ariel distance is 40kms). The chopper ride also serves as an ariel tour of the beautiful landscape we enjoy in here. The tickets for this ride can be obtained on arrival from Guwahati airport.
Old 17th July 2007, 10:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent. So I'll get to Guwahati and hop on to a Helicopter. Must start making plans. When is a good time to visit?
Old 17th July 2007, 11:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think Shillong looked best during winter. Well that's my point of view as I like hills during winter and with those fogs. Don't miss Cherrapunji if you are going to Shillong. The route to cherra is one of the most scenic routes in India(and probably one of the smoothest, but it was 3 years back.I don't know the situation now)
Sumit, nice pics but you were really missing a good camera.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:09   #15
BHPian

Though it is tourist season round the year here, the best times to visit would be Apr-Jun & Oct-Jan. The Christmas celebrations here are to be seen to believe and the winter is to be experienced. If you are planning on a visit, give me a shout and things will be taken care off :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks