Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 12:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Saam Baba! Please allow me the pleasure to invite you to this small heaven on earth for us. Be my guest and plan a visit. Stay with us and I assure you you will have fun. This offer is extended to every team-bhpian :-)

Great place!

Sumit dada you have one assured guest here
Old 17th July 2007, 12:46   #17
BHPian

Beautiful Pics,
Reminds me of my stay in Arunachal(Tenga Valley) when I was a kid.

Offtopic:
Sumit,
Is there a way to reach Tenga Valley or Bomdilla from Guwahati/Tezpur by air? I want to take my wife to show her that paradise where I lived for 2 yrs.
GD
Old 17th July 2007, 12:59   #18
BHPian

@lohithrao: You're most welcome. Just let me know your preferences. Things will be taken care off!

@greatdrive: You can go upto Dibrugarh via air. Thereafter you need to hire a taxi to take you to Arunachal. Another option is to take a flight upto Itanagar and plan the trip from there. You do need an RAP (Restricted Area Permit) to visit Arunachal. This can be obtained from the local Arunachal House in your state. Also, if I am not mistaken, the Guwahati airport has a liason officer for Arunachal from where you can obtain this.

I am planning to visit Arunachal in the next few months. I am dying to see it myself. If Shillong is Scotland then the whole of Arunachal must be the Swiss Alps or even more! I have seen it in pictures taken by my friends and I must say, its nothing less than paradise on earth.

The major difference between the Hill Stations of the NE and the rest of India is that out here there is cleanliness all over. I have visited Himachal and I must say, the place stinks with dirt all over. One reason maybe that there it is too much commercialization. The hill stations in the NE still maintain their natural beauty and the people here know how to keep it clean.
Old 17th July 2007, 18:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sumit,
I just wanted to clarify few things about Bomdila, you don't need to go to Dibrugarh to go to Bomdilla.And if you go to Itanagar you have to come back to Assam and re-enter Arunachal to go to Bomdila. You have to go via Tezpur and afaik there used to be Helicopter service from Tezpur/Guwahati to Dirang(not very sure about this info though), dunno about Bomdila..
Regards
Kaushik
Old 17th July 2007, 23:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Last Durga Puja time, we went to Shillong Kaziranga etc. I was tempting to drive the vehicle we had hired up the distance from Shillong to Cherrapunji. Cherrapunji we did not see rain, neither did we see the waterfall as the clouds were settled below!! (neither this nor that). But Kaziranga from Shillong was another story as we started nearing the national park. However parents wont let me make the road trip in our own car!!
Old 18th July 2007, 01:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

SumitB, I have heard so much about shillong from my wife... well, she is from shillong you see. I have been planning this one trip for sometime now. Maybe soon... and I will give you a shout buddy whenever I am there. You can bet on that.

OT: First time I am seeing my wife so ardently waiting to see me post a reply to a TBHP thread, Lol.
Old 18th July 2007, 01:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
SumitB, I have heard so much about shillong from my wife... well, she is from shillong you see. I have been planning this one trip for sometime now. Maybe soon... and I will give you a shout buddy whenever I am there. You can bet on that.

OT: First time I am seeing my wife so ardently waiting to see me post a reply to a TBHP thread, Lol.
Oh you bet its one of the nicest places in the world. But plan so that you can extend to Arunachal. (Thats what I am planning as well, in my mind with my imaginary vehicle)
Old 18th July 2007, 09:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi Sumit,
I just wanted to clarify few things about Bomdila, you don't need to go to Dibrugarh to go to Bomdilla.And if you go to Itanagar you have to come back to Assam and re-enter Arunachal to go to Bomdila. You have to go via Tezpur and afaik there used to be Helicopter service from Tezpur/Guwahati to Dirang(not very sure about this info though), dunno about Bomdila..
Regards
Kaushik
Yes I also think the same, though I lived in Arunachal(Tenga valley) around 20 yrs back when I was a kid. At those times we used to take a train till Missamaary and used to take a Army Convoy from Missamaary to Tenga. I also remember that there were some hallipads in Rupa, Bomdilla and Tenga but not sure if they belong to civil airlines or Army!

Looking forward for information if we have a chopper service from Tezpur to Bomdilla or tawang.

Cheers.
GD

Last edited by greatDrive : 18th July 2007 at 09:36.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:33   #24
BHPian

Zappo you're whole heartedly welcome :-)

About Arunachal, sorry guys, my ideas are limited.
Old 18th July 2007, 14:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

I got the following info from Welcome to Arunachal Pradesh, The land of the Rising Sun . Hope this helps.

"The Arunachal Pradesh Helicopter Services between Guwahati and Naharlagun. Helicopter services have also been introduced connecting many other centers within Arunachal Pradesh.

Service available are: Mohanbari - Naharlagun - Mohanbari; Mohanbari - Khonsa -Changlang - Mohanbari; Mohanbari - Nafsai; Tezpur - Nafasi - Tezu; Tezu - Roing - Tezu; Naharlagun - Ziro - Naharlagan; Ziro - Daporijo - Ziro; Mohanbari - Pasighat - Mohanbari; Pasighat - Along - Pasighat; Dambuk - Roing - Dambuk.

For operational details, please contact:
Asstt. Director, Civil Aviation, Naharlagun,
Phone No: +91 - 360 2245261/ 2243262 or the nearest Tourist Information office of Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh."
Old 18th July 2007, 23:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

But getting to Arunachal will entail the procurement of a permit before hand.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:47   #27
BHPian

Ah! this thread has brought back memories of the North East....Have studied in Gauhati Commerce college for a year before shifting to Pune...The trip to shillong on a bullet(in '91-92) as pillion is still vivid and fresh as if i had just gone recently...Those winding roads,scenic beauty and the Khasi hills inhabited by beautiful Khasi women...this is one of the tribes which have a matrilineal society in India apart from Nairs of Kerala....A trip to NE is a must in one's lifetime...

Quote:
Reminds me of my stay in Arunachal(Tenga Valley) when I was a kid.
Hey Greatdrive..Did you by any chance study in Tenga Valley? I was there too...Dad was posted there and i was a student of Kendriya Vidyalaya...I remember our school trips to Rupa for inter school competition...The mighty inclines on the way to Bomdila and Tawang...

Quote:
The major difference between the Hill Stations of the NE and the rest of India is that out here
Also the mountains there are very fragile and soft...means rocks and boulders fall off in a wink of an eye...main reason being heavy rainfall in that state....

Welcome to Arunachal Pradesh, The land of the Rising Sun

Rahul.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

@Sumit B - you are a lucky guy to stay in such a beautiful place.
can you please tell me the approx time required to go to Shillong from Kolkata by road?
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

@Zappo - lets go there by car from Kolkata . By the way do you have any info on the distance and road conditions? I can search for it but feeling too lazy to do it now .
Old 24th August 2007, 00:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@Zappo - lets go there by car from Kolkata . By the way do you have any info on the distance and road conditions? I can search for it but feeling too lazy to do it now .
Amazing! Sounds interesting. Could be a lot of fun actually. Let me see, what info I can dig out.

Most Viewed